New race mods?

• Thread starter JamboGT
  • 152 comments
I'm not telling you to get outside, and of course there's nothing I can do about it, but my point still stands. NO ONE can know for sure what car it is, which makes it stupid. Ok, stupid is a bit harsh maybe, but it's pointless.
At the end of the day, everything is pointless.

I'd really like to see an RM SLS, personally.

Well, without brake fade it doesn`t makes sense for me.

Maybe adding modern brakes to a 20 yo Civic improves its performance (considering its drum brakes in the rear), but I doubt that you could really improve the brakes of a F40.

F.e. I talked to a F40 owner 2 years ago (sadly he wasn`t there with the car) and he said to me, the biggest problem of the car isn`t that the brakes "suck", its just that the brake overheat and wear way to fast considering how "fast" that car is.

it never amazes me the crap people post on forums. And the funny thing is that they don't even know how stupid they look in the process.

Yes. If they add brake upgrades (or individual upgrades to the braking system), they should also add operating/optimal temperatures simulation. That would add to the strategy.

This would make for some pretty intense racing as it would keep people from constantly always late braking and not giving their brakes ample time to cool before the next mid to high speed stop. We should add that to the things we want in GT5 see if PD can add that to the mix.

Would make stock vehicle races pretty dicey as you could suddenly lose braking power causing you to overshoot your braking point. Heck it would make hi spec races more strategical as you would have to be careful for the first few stops until you get your brakes to the correct temps and when you take dirt trips depending on how long you were off, you would have to heat them up all over again. This would tie in with keeping track of your mileage per car and always see it when you hit GT Auto.

There is no doubt that all cars in the picture are either new or RM'd, simplest way to verify it, is to look at the windshield sticker.
Up to now, next Tuesday was looking like a month away, now it tools like a millennium away.....:banghead:

Brake fade is caused by the fluid in the caliper boiling creating air bubbles, this results in fade because the air can be compressed which absorbes the pressure provided by the master cylinder, in a normal situation there is no air to compress therefore 100% of the pressure is applied to the disc from the caliper , the brake disc and pad will work better under high heat, it's just the fluid that causes the problem. The hotter the disc gets the softer the steel becomes resulting in higher levels of friction. I could go into fluid dynamics in a hydraulic circuit but that's a hole new story .

That is a possibility. But that is not all brake fade. The other 50% of the time, what I said is what happens. The rotor overheats and it can no longer absorb as much power. The high heat can also cause air to expand between the pad and disc and act as lubricant.

You can have "perfect" brake fluid and still fade like crazy.

You also don't want softer brake materials because when the brakes start wearing and shifting around, it will probably lead to loss of stopping power. And while at "low" temperature friction may increase with temperature, it's not guaranteed to be monotonic. At high enough temp, the friction starts to fall off.

Now if the only reason that brakes fade is because of fluid, what is the point of Carbon brakes?

First a question....how does braking fluid boil when all it is doing is pushing the pistons in the calipers against the brake pads so they contact the disks? Brake pads dissipate heat and so do brake disks and there's a damn good chance brake fluid has a higher boiling temperature just to deal with the slim possibility that it just might get hot. Brake fade from boiling fluid? Sure thing....

Brake fade - overheated brake disk and pads unable to turn kinetic energy into heat.

I say that unknown species is...
something other than a Nissan, the decal appears to be a "MOTUL" which is also on that GT-R... So I'll say the '04(?) Skyline.
Could be a BMW, but whatever it is it is _obviously_ an RM.

Last edited:
The red car behind the RX-7? Yes that's already been argeed upon that it's a R34 GT-R. The black one behind the WRX however....

First a question....how does braking fluid boil when all it is doing is pushing the pistons in the calipers against the brake pads so they contact the disks? Brake pads dissipate heat and so do brake disks and there's a damn good chance brake fluid has a higher boiling temperature just to deal with the slim possibility that it just might get hot. Brake fade from boiling fluid? Sure thing....

Brake fade - overheated brake disk and pads unable to turn kinetic energy into heat.

Fluid does boil, that's why they sell special high boiling point fluid and use it in race cars. The calipers on brakes are made of steel...steel sucks at dissipating heat. Therefore the heat in the rotors, pads, and calipers transfers to the fluid. You get a mushy feeling in the pedal when this happens. Also, if you have rubber brake lines the fluid can actually expend some of it's energy in expanding the lines, which also makes the pedal mushy. My RX-7 does this, which is why I'm hoping to upgrade to SS lines in the future.

I remember reading this article a few years (?) ago edit: last year

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...mo_z_s_brakes_failed_at_lightning_lap-feature

The next two stops were spooky: Mashing the brake pedal caused the Z to veer quickly and dramatically, requiring steering correction to keep it in a straight line. A likely cause of the unbalanced braking forces that produced this yaw is brake fluid boiling at some corners of the car but not at others. The next stop fully boiled the fluid and caused the braking force to evaporate completely—the pedal sank to the floor as we sailed on for almost a half-mile in what felt eerily like a repeat of our racetrack crash. We now feel certain that boiling the brake fluid, which was probably made easier because most of the pad material had already melted away, is what caused the brake failure and subsequent crash at VIR.

And so we decided to conduct a test we hadn’t planned: swapping the Z’s standard brake fluid for an aftermarket product,  ATE Super Blue, which has a higher boiling point (536 degrees F). We tested the fluid, which goes for a little over $6 a pint versus about $5 for the stock fluid, along with a fresh set of brakes with the upgraded pads. Considering 23 essentially fade-free stops, not only did the fluid extend braking performance, but stops 24 through 31 showed gradual fade—a warning to the driver that things are starting to overheat—which made this by far the best setup. After that, even the ATE fluid couldn’t persevere, and it, too, boiled.

Last edited:
Like the F40 Evoluzione?
f40lm.jpg

Would be cool:D

:drool:

Raven_WET01
The upgrade system at this point is kind of a joke. It should require some mechanical know-how and reward players based on their ability to choose the proper items. Even if it was something as simple as changing the engine upgrade to two different paths (NA and forced induction) it would mean the world. Not to mention it makes no sense claiming a car can't be turbocharged...

What about twin turbo upgrades? What about tire/wheel size? Are we getting brakes yet? This game really falls short in the modification department.

You forget that this GAME is not meant to be an automotive instruction class. Pd tries to find a balance to fit hardcore gear heads and the casual pick up and play people.

TT3AZ
We dont need more race mods, we need new race "modes", you see...

I would assume the new online lobby options, plus a little imagination would cover some new race modes, minus all the drag fanboy requests of course...
And personally I think it's good we are getting new RM cars, since there is only a few currently and I already own atleast one of each :dopey: I'm really looking forward to just how many there will actually be...

I just hope Spec II is the update which makes the rear wing of my Ford Taurus SHO visible! And that whatever new mods we get, someone has taken the time to test them.

You're still wrong. Eunos provided physical insight into the mechanisms behind braking. It trumps your [exceedingly vague] anecdotal evidence.

Brakes are energy converters. They convert kinetic energy into heat. Some of that heat goes into the brakes themselves and reduces their ability to convert energy. It's called fade. How brakes handle fade is one of the things that separate good brakes from bad ones. Distance isn't, because as was said, just about any set of brakes can lock the wheels.

By the way, how great was the stopping distance difference between your old and new brakes? How many times did you repeat the experiment? Under what conditions? How standardized was the set up of your car (how many miles on the tires when each braking test was done? Fuel and passenger weight? etc). Did you measure brake temperature?

Oh, and on anecdotal evidence, I've designed my own brake rotors

Brakebrag.jpg

BrakebragGTP.png

Now all you need is a CNC machine to make it...or a water jet

Now all you need is a CNC machine to make it...or a water jet

Those were poorly designed concepts/prototypes that never made it. The final designs were water jetted from 1018 Steel. They seemed hold up fine, unlike the previous designs which exploded from being overstressed.

We think the original failed because it was a fixed rotor, and wasn't able to cope well when things starting shifting around due to accelerations/vibrations/etc. That's why we went with a floating rotor (like the second one).

I really happy about getting Kaz's actual 24h car.

Not too fussed about RMs personally but I'd be happy to use them if more were introduced.

This was posted in another thread, and sorry if it's been answered (if it has I can't find it)... but isn't the RM RX-7 already in the current opening movie?

This was posted in another thread, and sorry if it's been answered (if it has I can't find it)... but isn't the RM RX-7 already in the current opening movie?

I just watched it over. There was no RX7 RM to be seen. You might be referring to the TVR Tuscan RM, which was drifting in the intro.

CarloPlaya
I just watched it over. There was no RX7 RM to be seen. You might be referring to the TVR Tuscan RM, which was drifting in the intro.

Very possible ... was it white(ish)? I was half paying attention when I saw it. I'll give it another look.

Very possible ... was it white(ish)? I was half paying attention when I saw it. I'll give it another look.

No, it was black, but with a rather white background due to the smoking tires. :)

I just hope that those RM'd cars are NOT the Racing Car DLC, but in Spec 2.0.

I don't think that the new RM cars will be DLC because they appear in Sec 2.0 intro movie. Why is it in the intro if it's not in game?

I would love to see a Viper RM. Good memories from GT2... Just a few hours now...

Why not have it in the intro and not be available to everyone? Where is this intro movie I keep reading about? I can't find a video.

Back