North Korea threatens with a nuclear strike.

• Thread starter kikie
  • 380 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
North Korea had many chances to "do better" though. Dotini heard that Kim Jong-il is actually quite intelligent, he may be playing the U.S. and its' allies. Only thing is, that's been one of the speculation about him for decades, and he has gotten anywhere with it in all this time. I guess anything is possible, but if he's still holding out for a sweeter deal from the West, I think it would strengthen an another speculation about him: He is not right in the head.

North Korea has been, not poor, but in a financial ruin for sometime now. Reportedly, the country is suffering from famine(no pun intended :P). If they wanted to play the West, strike a deal that made sense to them, they've already had their chance for over a decade.

I guess anything is possible. He wanted to screw everybody before, but now, finally, he may be pushed to settle by his people? He may be dying, and that could motivate him, too. An death of Asian Hitler would be a nice Christmas Present this year for the mankind. :)

Those interested in war games as well as the developing battlefield of East Asia will no doubt have noted that the US has moved a rook in the form of the USS George Washington, a mighty nuclear carrier with a complement of 80 jets and 6700 sailors. Now comes news of the Indians advancing two new Army divisions on China's flank.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11818840

Those interested in war games as well as the developing battlefield of East Asia will no doubt have noted that the US has moved a rook in the form of the USS George Washington, a mighty nuclear carrier with a complement of 80 jets and 6700 sailors. Now comes news of the Indians advancing two new Army divisions on China's flank.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11818840
Not surprised by the carrier. It's a fairly normal posturing United States use against China. I wonder what really motivated India though? I wonder if the U.S. gave them a nudge?

Edit: I was reading back some earlier posts, and I found this:
And as danoff posted earlier, surgical strikes do not kill millions in the world's worst case scenario. Even with the B1's & B52's, it would take a lot of effort, might not even be plausible.
B1's & B51's! Can you tell this guy is still living in the 90's! :lol:

Last edited:
My sister is currently abroad teaching English in South Korea. She signed a year long commitment and will be there until next summer. With her safety in mind, I truly hope this situation does not escalate.

My sister is currently abroad teaching English in South Korea. She signed a year long commitment and will be there until next summer. With her safety in mind, I truly hope this situation does not escalate.

Is she in Seoul? If so, she is in direct range of North Korea artillery right now!

I hope she stays safe.

Growing up in Japan, island country with no enemy in the striking range, obviously. And been living in Oregon(U.S., West Coast) since, I can't even imagine living so close to potential war zone.

I hope every civilian in Korean peninsula stay safe!

Edit: And the good guys!

Could they be doing all this to shift the attention away from that recent uranium enrichment plant coverage? They might be dumb/crazy(little bit of both) enough to do all this, possibly going to war over things like that.

Maybe.

Edit:
As usual, they have blamed everyone, including bigfoot, Elvis, Peter from Family Guy, but themselves.

Why are we always picking on Kim Jong-il? For no reason, it seems. This needs to stop! :lol:

Last edited:
Why are we always picking on Kim Jong-il?

Exactly, we shouldn't pick on a guy who's so ronery (his words, not mine).

2405147181_3fc9a75154_z.jpg

If he were any other guy, you'd just want to pity him. He looks so stereotypical.

True, but the more important part of the article is that China - North Korea's strongest (and pretty much only) ally - is fed up with North Korea and is no longer going to humour them. That's going to be a pretty serious blow to Pyongyang since China is the only country the North trades with.

True, but the more important part of the article is that China - North Korea's strongest (and pretty much only) ally - is fed up with North Korea and is no longer going to humour them. That's going to be a pretty serious blow to Pyongyang since China is the only country the North trades with.

..and the unspoken fact that Kim Jong-il is on death's door and some kind of regime change is inevitable.

If Nazi stop killing the Jews, do you let them stay in power? Reunification is a tough act, even during peace time. While that is completely true, we can't forget that the ultimate goal here is the reunification. Regardless of who's leading North Korea.

..and the unspoken fact that Kim Jong-il is on death's door and some kind of regime change is inevitable.
Kim Jong-Il will be very careful to have set up his son (whose name escapes me for now) in such a way that his son is seen by the people the same was he is. After all, it's been speculated that the shelling of the South Korean island was designed to reinforce his son's position. And given how secretive he is, I wouldn't be surprised if Kim has arranged for "live" footage of himself to be broadcast after his death to confuse the West into thinking he is still alive. He could very well already be dead, with a disinformation campaign put in place to mislead the West into concentrating on him while his son consolidates power in Pyongyang and close whatever window America and her allies would have to intervene and take advantage of he power vaccuum following his death.

Kim Jong-Il will be very careful to have set up his son (whose name escapes me for now) in such a way that his son is seen by the people the same was he is. After all, it's been speculated that the shelling of the South Korean island was designed to reinforce his son's position. And given how secretive he is, I wouldn't be surprised if Kim has arranged for "live" footage of himself to be broadcast after his death to confuse the West into thinking he is still alive. He could very well already be dead, with a disinformation campaign put in place to mislead the West into concentrating on him while his son consolidates power in Pyongyang and close whatever window America and her allies would have to intervene and take advantage of he power vaccuum following his death.

someone reads bbc news :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11818729

When Kim Jong-Il dies, either his son or the military takes over. The loyalty of the people to the family may not be what it used to, and certainly the military has enough of its own power to do what it pleases in the country. Either way, between the economic and social crisis that they face, the country will eventually collapse.

The tricky part will be whether China or South Korea will be the one's picking up the pieces.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8172764/china-ready-to-abandon-north-korea-leak

According to a memo that was a part of Wikileaks' latest splurge, China has lost patience with North Korea and will support reunification.

After listening to NPR all morning and doing additional reading, I have come to the conclusion that it is probably not true that China would support reunification between the Koreas. The leaked diplomatic cable seems to have originated between South Koreans and Americans, and consist of a certain amount of wishful thinking. The Chinese, according to the experts speaking this morning, do not want to talk about reunification in the slightest. Realistically, it is more to their interest to have a problematic North Korea than it is to have the peninsula united under the control of the US-dominated South.

All of that cold war thinking doesn't matter in the slightest anymore. China has the US dollar under its thumb.

China has the US dollar under its thumb.

It was perfectly obvious this was coming. It was done openly, knowingly and willingly by the US elite in business, government and academia. Of course, every common citizen who went into debt to buy Chinese goods also has some guilt to bear.

I wonder that PRK do not "cross the border" in this conflict. Because it don't have a chance of win. But goverment of S. Korea don't have reason occupation PRK (if S. Korea win), as this big economic costs (very ;D), because level of development in countries very different. I'm not talking about the costs of war and recovery from it.
While ideally I would like see a unified Korea (preferably on the basis of the South).

Media generally like to report how Kim Jong-il is testing the patience of the Chinese, but my gut feeling is quite the opposite. I know that I've mentioned this before, numerous times, but I believe that they are quite on the same page. North Korea is playing the exact role the Chinese Communist Party strategists are wanting him to play. Kim Jong-il is one of their political cards in my book.
I wonder that PRK do not "cross the border" in this conflict. Because it don't have a chance of win. But goverment of S. Korea don't have reason occupation PRK (if S. Korea win), as this big economic costs (very ;D), because level of development in countries very different. I'm not talking about the costs of war and recovery from it.
While ideally I would like see a unified Korea (preferably on the basis of the South).
It wouldn't be an occupation. Reunification is something they(at least South Korea) have been working towards, so it wouldn't be accurate to say that there isn't an incentive for South Korea to takeover the North.

Partial association, of course, possible. But the ruling elite of North Korea in life will not give up their benefits. And I doubt that is reasonable, in the case of reforming the relationship, keep these people in power.

The Russians are probably trying to provoke the North into backing down. China and Russia are the only two countries that really tolerate the North, and the Russians only do it because they share a land border. If China are losing interest in dealing with Pyongyang and Moscow is kicking their military presence up a notch - especially since talks are not an option - I'd say their intent is to scare Kim into backing down. If, in the worst-case scenario (an outright war), North Korea won't be able to rely on China and/or Russia backing them up. Kim might have his belligerance aimed at America, but Russia is not a sleeping bear that I would want to go provoking, even if I wasn't distracted by America.

In a Time of Great Need, Mother Russia Needs Only One Man...

PutinHorseback3.jpg

In other news, if there is going to be a conflict, I'd rather have them get on with it then dilly-dally. I don't want Homefront coming out in the spring and then having it a little too close to home.

Well, if it hits the fan, it's going to do so very soon. South Korea is going ahead with some live-fire drills on the island the North shelled a few weeks ago. The North has said that if the South go ahead with it, they will have no choice but to respond in kind. Seoul is ignoing international calls to abandon the tests, while the North has said that if it comes to open warfare, nuclear devices can and will be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back