Nurburging Tuner Challenge - Results & Prizes Announced! Page 19

• Thread starter JackWilson
  • 390 comments
[OT]

Thx, i havent tried other wheels but to me it feels realistic and i can anticipate somehow what will happen like you can see a little in the video when i touched the grass. :)

I need to get a G27 instead of this DFGT. This is my second one and they're both glitchy. It's hard to get a good lap time when you put your foot all the way down and you are only getting 90% throttle, or when you have 10% brake even when your foot is nowhere near the pedal.

[/OT]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic. :D

You say "nothing crazy"…but you then go and drift, through Flugplatz, at a speed which would have sent any of us flying into barriers, and then dust it off like nothing. :lol: You insane man. The Collin Mcrae of Tarmac. :lol:

Anyway, you looked like you were working quite hard there, I heard some furniture break when you were fighting the car. Now, where's the video of the proper lap? :P

I will upload the replay of the lap tonight, and will post the link tomorow, i will be away from the PS3 an entire week for summer vacations.

edit: The RX-8 is on share CSL. :)

Last edited:
Hmm…so, how are the testers doing? We've not heard much from a majority of those who signed up, and the deadline is closing in…I think.

Also, great drive Mike, you looked like you were on the very edge in that video. Had it been me, I'd have snapped already. :lol: You have once again reminded us of your godly ability on the 'Ring. :bowdown:

Okay, I think I'm done for now. I had 2 sessions with each car and at this point I doubt I'd get another second off most of these runs so I think they're pretty fairly rated for my driving ability (or lack thereof. :lol:)

RESULTS:

Onboy - Garaiya - 7:43.833 (8/10)
Fun fun fun! Like a wing-less Elise. Unfortunately slow slow slow! I tried to get it to beat at least one other car, I really did, but I failed. :( It even felt fast while driving it, unfortunately the clock did not agree.

NEWDRIVER2 - Impreza WRX '99 - 7:42.796 (6/10, could have been 8-9/10 - see description)
This car handled nicely for me right off the bat. I was enjoying the ride quite a bit until... until I wanted to exit a hairpin and put the hammer down for a straightaway. That's when I discovered a nasty bit of understeer. The car handles nicely at slower speeds, it's just when you're finishing the corner exit that it caused me problems. I was a bit disappointed by the final times I was getting with it, so I tried a premium Impreza with similar power/weight and had no trouble getting a 7:39. Then just for kicks I tried applying this tune to the Spec C '04. Then the tune really came alive for me, easily getting a 39 on my first try. I don't think all Imprezas are made the same in GT5 and a better choice of Subaru would have greatly improved my result.

Desperado - Celica - 7:42.360 (6/10)
Fastest 4WD by a wide margin... in a straight line. Unfortunately drives as if it's on comfort softs and has no brakes. :lol: Sorry Desperado, underdog cars can be fun but on a long track like this for a mediocre driver like myself, too many botched laps just lead to frustration. I think the Celica's trying a bit too hard at 500pp.

SolidSnake - RX8 - 7:40.245 (6/10)
As mentioned already by other testers, I think the gearing was the biggest problem with this car. Just as you're exiting a corner and putting your foot down... you hit that extra looonng 3rd gear and can feel all your speed slipping away. Handling was okay, but it did have issues with a sudden/unexpected loss of grip (Wehrseifen I believe was giving me a lot of trouble.) I find a wing-less RX8 tough to manage at 500pp anyway; I suspect downforce would have improved my times with this car, especially on S/H tires.

LineR32 - Skyline GT-R R32 - 7:38.922 (7/10)
This car was nice to drive, the best of the 4WDs for me. But I felt the downforce was a bit wasted for the extra weight it had to carry. My own setup uses maximum (or close to max) weight reduction with the rest of the points going to bolt-on power and I've managed times a couple seconds faster.

trackripper - Series One - 7:36.222 (8/10)
This is one of my favourite 500pp cars, so I'm verrry picky when it comes to Series 1 tunes. I was happy to find this car had a good setup; not too much different from my own, actually. Personally I would have I would have left the extra weight off and not bothered with as much downforce, but in the end this car gave me about the same lap time I got with my own setup. 👍

HaylRayzor - M3 GTR - 7:36.062 (7/10)
This car made me nervous. Tricky to get on the throttle, afraid it wouldn't turn in after braking, generally afraid I'd wipe out at any second. And after all that, was surprised to hit only 160mph on the straight. Not sure if putting most of your points into weight really helped this car or not. Then again, a 7:36 is a pretty good time for me so in the end it was a pleasant surprise after the stress of driving it. :lol:

robrabbitman - M3 CSL - 7:34.707 (8/10)
Very nice CSL setup. Lightweight, responsive. The CSL already a great car, this tune didn't ruin anything for me and in fact improved on my best time with my own setup by a few seconds.

Praiano - HSC - 7:33.619 (8/10)
AAAAHHHHHHHH! NOOOOOOOOOOO! YEAAAAHHHHHHHHH! IEEEEEAAAHHHHHH! - Pretty much my thoughts while driving this car. :lol: Interesting gearing, worked very well for this track. Potential for a sub 7:30 time had I been able to perform a clean lap, alas I was not and was forced to post the lap with the fewest (though many :lol:) mistakes.

krenkme - Elise - 7:32.491 (9/10)
Holy Moley, I'm not this good of a driver, that's what this car made me think. So easy to get on the throttle, I totally forgot I was on sport hard tires. So much fun to tear up the technical sections without a care in the world, such a stress-free drive... until I realized I was about to obliterate my PB time. :) The only downside is already knowing that the Elise is a bit of a go-kart, but the big win for me was discovering a setup for speed - faster than the M3 GTR on the straight, who would've thought? :lol:

This is my first tuning challenge and I know that every driver is different, but I'm really surprised by the differences in driving impressions.

In both this challenge and the Toyota 86 challenge my tunes get completely different feedback from each driver. It seems like they're not even driving the same car.

When I get a comment like above it makes me go back and drive the car again to see if I can feel what they describe.

But at least I haven't gotten the "did the tuner even drive this car" remark like I got in the 86 challenge. :lol:

krenkme - Elise - 7:32.491 (9/10)
Holy Moley, I'm not this good of a driver, that's what this car made me think. So easy to get on the throttle, I totally forgot I was on sport hard tires. So much fun to tear up the technical sections without a care in the world, such a stress-free drive... until I realized I was about to obliterate my PB time. :) The only downside is already knowing that the Elise is a bit of a go-kart, but the big win for me was discovering a setup for speed - faster than the M3 GTR on the straight, who would've thought? :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to try the car 👍 I'm very happy that you found it easy, and fun to drive... I wonder what it could do on Racing tires :eek:

Thanks Again!!!! :dopey:

trackripper - Series One - 7:36.222 (8/10)
This is one of my favourite 500pp cars, so I'm verrry picky when it comes to Series 1 tunes. I was happy to find this car had a good setup; not too much different from my own, actually. Personally I would have I would have left the extra weight off and not bothered with as much downforce, but in the end this car gave me about the same lap time I got with my own setup. 👍

Cheers smrtb0mb, good to know the setup worked for you. :) Thanks for the feedback. :D

Sorry Hayl, I think my description came off harsher than I intended. It's a lot easier to describe what I had trouble with than what worked for me. :lol: That said I don't find the GTR the easiest to drive anyway; unlike some of the others I didn't test one of my own beforehand so I didn't have a reference point other than the odd time I've used the car in the past.

The main point is the time - 2:36 is very good for me, better than what I'd gotten in my own CSL setup, so it performed very well. It was just a tricky drive. :)

There was a reason I called it the Razor. If you are too aggressive it bites you, but if you aren't aggressive enough it's slow. You have to drive it right on that edge.

But there is also something attractive to me about cars with a high risk/reward factor.

Okay, I think I'm done for now. I had 2 sessions with each car and at this point I doubt I'd get another second off most of these runs so I think they're pretty fairly rated for my driving ability (or lack thereof. :lol:)

RESULTS:

Praiano - HSC - 7:33.619 (8/10)
AAAAHHHHHHHH! NOOOOOOOOOOO! YEAAAAHHHHHHHHH! IEEEEEAAAHHHHHH! - Pretty much my thoughts while driving this car. :lol: Interesting gearing, worked very well for this track. Potential for a sub 7:30 time had I been able to perform a clean lap, alas I was not and was forced to post the lap with the fewest (though many :lol:) mistakes.
Thanks, good to see my car is fast and fun. I can't wait to test it myself.:scared:

><(((((°>°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

This is my first tuning challenge and I know that every driver is different, but I'm really surprised by the differences in driving impressions.

In both this challenge and the Toyota 86 challenge my tunes get completely different feedback from each driver. It seems like they're not even driving the same car.

When I get a comment like above it makes me go back and drive the car again to see if I can feel what they describe.

But at least I haven't gotten the "did the tuner even drive this car" remark like I got in the 86 challenge. :lol:
Honestly, I've learned more from the few times people have flat-out told me they didn't like a tune than I did in all the compliments combined.
The compliments only make you feel good, the complaints make you better.;)

Of course sometimes there's nothing you either can or are willing to do, in order to resolve a complaint. For example, people have complained of my LSD being too loose multiple times, but I believe that at least 95% of GT5 players will run faster, more consistent races with a better average finishing time and position with a lower LSD rather than high. They might have to adjust their driving style a bit, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
That's just my belief and I'm set in it.

I think there is a misunderstanding about my remarks.

I'm not complaining about the criticisms or fishing for compliments. I'm just surprised by the range of the feedback for the same tune.

And if there is criticism I take that into account. As I said I go back and drive the car to see if I can feel what they describe. Not all criticism is valid, nor is all praise.

The point about putting all my PP into weight is valid. I tend to reduce weight first and ask questions later because I like the quick response of a lighter car. For some tracks that will not give the best lap times. And I may go back and revise the car with more weight after the Challenge is over.

CSLACR, my FR has been in your inbox for a while. HaylRayzor.

I think there is a misunderstanding about my remarks.

I'm not complaining about the criticisms or fishing for compliments. I'm just surprised by the range of the feedback for the same tune.

And if there is criticism I take that into account. As I said I go back and drive the car to see if I can feel what they describe. Not all criticism is valid, nor is all praise.

The point about putting all my PP into weight is valid. I tend to reduce weight first and ask questions later because I like the quick response of a lighter car. For some tracks that will not give the best lap times. And I may go back and revise the car with more weight after the Challenge is over.

CSLACR, my FR has been in your inbox for a while. HaylRayzor.
Generally speaking, lower weight is quicker. Harder to drive, but quicker. I look forward to driving the M3, very close to the specs I would have used for it. (Of course I'd have taken the CSL:P )

I'll accept the FR as soon as I get on the PS3 again, haven't had time for a few days.

My curiosity was too much, I had to take my own M3 GTR and compare. It's 504pp stock, so I had to power limit it 96.8% (380hp) and left it at 1350kg. Laptimes ended up being nearly identical to the ones I ran with yours. Surprisingly not much faster on the straight, only by about 1-2mph. So my assumption about the weight loss slowing it down was off. The extra weight does make it a little easier to get on the gas, and a bit more stable, but still not the easiest car to drive.

Interesting tune though, glad I drove it. 👍

Generally speaking, lower weight is quicker. Harder to drive, but quicker. I look forward to driving the M3, very close to the specs I would have used for it. (Of course I'd have taken the CSL:P )

I'll accept the FR as soon as I get on the PS3 again, haven't had time for a few days.

I would have taken the CSL also, but didn't want to use the same car as robrabbitman. The CSL is just a bit better all around.

I'll be a tester if it's not too late

Yep no worries man, will add you to the list.

All testers must submit results be July 27th.
img.php

It's more fun at the last minute! So&#8230;I take it that you'll be spending all night driving the damn things until the tarmac on the 'Ring is all broken&#8230;ain't that gonna be fun. :crazy:

An entire day on GT5&#8230;what better way to spend 24 hours&#8230;?? Apart from say&#8230;going out for a drink, hang with some mates&#8230;Watching Batman&#8230;slacking off&#8230;and such. :lol:

An entire day on GT5&#8230;what better way to spend 24 hours&#8230;?? Apart from say&#8230;going out for a drink, hang with some mates&#8230;Watching Batman&#8230;slacking off&#8230;and such. :lol:

Don't tempt me onboy, I would much rather be out enjoying this sunshine with a few drinks at the moment :lol:

3 cars down though, 7 left.

Would the remaining testers like the deadline to be extended to 29/07/12 23:59 (End of Sunday)

Jackthalad / CHRYSTALBUDS
Ganja souljah / Thrasher90
OK8 / OK8_
CSLACR / GTP_CSL
jtqmopar
Luv2drive / jeff6767

Back