Official Playstation Store Thread

Does anyone know how big a file R&C ToD is? My internet is slow at the moment, it took well over an hour to download GT5P Demo.

The demo is 1.6 gigs, and my internet is slow as well, took a very long time to do GT5P, but I think you will find that the ratchet demo will download much quicker. Its offered on other stores, and it doesnt have nearly as much traffic as the GT5P demo did.

The demo is 1.6 gigs, and my internet is slow as well, took a very long time to do GT5P, but I think you will find that the ratchet demo will download much quicker. Its offered on other stores, and it doesnt have nearly as much traffic as the GT5P demo did.

Probelm is that the Sega Rally Demo took over an hour too. I think the probelm is that I am running off the wireless network rather than a wired network.

Probelm is that the Sega Rally Demo took over an hour too. I think the probelm is that I am running off the wireless network rather than a wired network.
It depends. I get the exact same speeds as I would on wired. What percentage is your wireless signal? You can find out in the Network settings in the Settings part of the XMB.

G.T
It depends. I get the exact same speeds as I would on wired. What percentage is your wireless signal? You can find out in the Network settings in the Settings part of the XMB.
Same here. Wired networks are only an advantage if you have super high bandwidth internet access, which can cost upwards of $50,000 a month.

For instance, the PS3's has a IEEE 802.11g/b wi-fi adapter which is capable of a maximum transfer speed of 54 Mbit/s = 7 MB per second = 405 MB per minute. So unless your goal is to download most videos off the PS store in under 10 seconds, then your PS3's wi-fi is not the problem, and it will far exceed the limits of most people’s maximum bandwidth from their internet service providers and the typical server traffic one runs into on the net these days.

Personally, I have been able to download files off the PS stores at between 20 MB and 50 MB per minute which while still not as fast as my broadband cable modem service allows, it’s plenty fast enough to get the files downloaded in a short amount of time… under five minutes for all but the largest files, and demos of course.

The problem is likely either or a combination of your router, the type of service you have, problems with your ISP, high traffic on the host servers.

Also, if you run www.speedtest.com from your PS3's browser, you can find out the exact speeds you are getting at any given time. This won’t tell you how much traffic the host server might be having at that time, but at least it will tell you if you need to make any changes as far as your router, or internet service. Hope that helps.

If you are running a 802-11B network at home then it would definitely be a good bit slower being as it is capped at 11Mbit/s. Just something D-N overlooked.

If thats the case either run a hardline to the PS3 or upgrade to 802-11G. The only problems I've ever had with my G network has been the occasional network lag while playing online, plugging in a hardline will virtually eliminate non server-side lag.

If you are running a 802-11B network at home then it would definitely be a good bit slower being as it is capped at 11Mbit/s. Just something D-N overlooked.
True. It would be helpful if we knew what kind of router he has, what kind of internet service he has, although if he would do a SpeedTest on the PS3, that would provide much of the needed answers as to isolating where the slowdown might be coming from. It may also just be a weak connection between his router and the PS3, but he can test that as well using the PS3's Internet Connection Settings and scanning for Wi-Fi access points, which will also tell him the signal strength.

If thats the case either run a hardline to the PS3 or upgrade to 802-11G.
Even 802.11b is going to be faster than most people's internet connection... again, a speed test might reveal that as well. But even at the maximum 802.11b transfer rate (11 Mbit/s = 1.4 MB per second = 83 MB per minute) then he should have been able to download the SEGA Rally Revo demo in just 10 minutes, but he says it was over an hour, so again, using Ethernet instead of wi-fi or even upgrading to an 802.11g router wouldn't help, as he is not even coming close to maxing out the capabilities of 802.11b.

For now I guess it'll have to remain a mystery until he can fill out all the missing info to help him try and diagnosis what the problem might be.

I'm going to try things in a few minutes on the PS3. Hopefully that can help you guys figure the probelm.

EDIT:
Download = 5569 kb/s
Upload = 381 kb/s

D-N maybe you know the answer to this:

Which system is faster at d/l content from their respective stores? When hardwired in it seems like the PS3 is quite a bit faster then the 360. Any reason for this? It's being directed through the same router on the same internet connection.

I'm going to try things in a few minutes on the PS3. Hopefully that can help you guys figure the problem.

EDIT:
Download = 5569 kb/s
Upload = 381 kb/s
5569 kb/s is below the maximum level of 802.11b and above the rate you say it is taking you to download, so it appears you are just having bad luck with server traffic.

To be sure though, you have to run a speed test immediately before or after downloading, because otherwise it still may be an issue with your system/service.

The good news though is that currently you are getting a very good transfer rate. 👍

D-N maybe you know the answer to this:

Which system is faster at d/l content from their respective stores? When hardwired in it seems like the PS3 is quite a bit faster then the 360. Any reason for this? It's being directed through the same router on the same internet connection.
It could be the type and number of servers that the host (in this case Sony & Microsoft) use, and of course the level of internet traffic to those servers.

Out of curiosity, how much of an affect would upload speed have on DLing from the PSN? I know putting video on You Tube and other upload heavy actions take forever, but I don't know how much back and forth is actually going on between my PS3 and the PSN during store downloads.

I have the cheapest package my cable company offers and I ran a speed test when there was low traffic and I was pulling nearly 1mb/sec (like 98?kb/sec) download and 148kb/sec upload.

I'm going to do a speed test this Thursday to see if my slow downloads are from my ISP traffic or the PSN traffic. I am guessing PSN, but I can say for sure as my Warhawk ping times fluctuate independently of when Warhawk is busy. For instance on Saturday afternoon I had a couple of 0 ping games available, but when I played late night Friday night (almost 1:00am est) against GTP members the lowest ping I had was 135.

Out of curiosity, how much of an affect would upload speed have on DLing from the PSN?
I suspect none. Even though some info is undoubtedly being uploaded to the host server, it's likely such a small amount of data that it would have no impact on your download time... and is probably already uploaded right when you first long on, and long before you have selected a file to download anyway.

I have the cheapest package my cable company offers and I ran a speed test when there was low traffic and I was pulling nearly 1mb/sec (like 98?kb/sec) download and 148kb/sec upload.
  • 1 mb/s = 1000 kb/s
  • 1 MB/s = 8000 kb/s
Even at a transfer rate of 1000 kb/s, that would mean being able to download a 100MB file in under 15 min. While that wont set any speed records, it's still quite good and about 20x faster than a 56k modem. 👍

• 1 mb/s = 1000 kb/s
  • 1 MB/s = 8000 kb/s
Even at a transfer rate of 1000 kb/s, that would mean being able to download a 100MB file in under 15 min. While that wont set any speed records, it's still quite good and about 20x faster than a 56k modem. 👍
Unfortunately when I go online to download it tends to be during high traffic. I could wait until the weekend to do my PSN downloads, but it is still quicker just to set it up to download all the new store material before going to bed Thursday night and find it waiting for me when I get home Friday afternoon.

If I could just get the rest of the world to quit downloading on Thursday nights...

I feel that its starting to take longer and longer to download stuff... as more people buy PS3's PSN will eventually need upgrading (this will probably be done when home comes).

Robin

I feel that its starting to take longer and longer to download stuff... as more people buy PS3's PSN will eventually need upgrading (this will probably be done when home comes).
I've actually been getting faster average downloads the last few weeks so I guess this is one of those YMMV situations. For instance I used to get average download times of about 20 MB per minute when downloading off the PSN stores, but lately I've been getting rates twice as fast as before, even as much as 50 MB/m rate. Either case, I suspect most just use background downloading and forget about it.

Either case, I suspect most just use background downloading and forget about it.
So does Background Downloading affect speeds at all? You mentioned it and I got curious, no real-world experience to base it on.

So does Background Downloading affect speeds at all? You mentioned it and I got curious, no real-world experience to base it on.
I haven't noticed any significant difference in download time between individual downloading and background downloading. You can monitor the background download speed by selecting Download Management from the Network bar in XMB[] and compare the rate to the size of the file to determine the transfer rate.

What's nice about background downloading is that not only will it continue downloading your list of files even when playing a game, but if you turn off the PS3 it remembers exactly where you left off so that once you turn your PS3 back on, it starts downloading where it left off - he same goes for if you lose connection during downloading. 👍

These days I use background downloading for everything but the wallpapers, as they download so quickly that they are usually done downloading before I even have time to select the "download in background" option. :)

That's another thing I like about the downloading options you have with the PSN stores, as you can also download files immediately even if it is currently downloading in the background.

So for instance, if you had several files already selected for background downloading, but then see a file you want to download right away, you don't have to manually pause each file in the download management list. Instead you just select the new file for download, and it will automatically start downloading that file and pause the background downloading for you. 👍

Here are the things that will cause the background downloading to pause:
  • Playing a Blu-ray Disc or DVD
  • Using network features of online games
    (while a game is in process of ending, background downloading will be stopped temporarily)
  • Starting PS2 format software
  • Starting Folding@home
  • Using voice/video chat
  • Performing a system update
  • Adjusting network settings
For those of us that were early PS3 adopters, we have the unfortunate memories of having to download each file manually, as the Background Downloading option didn't become available until the 1.6 update back in March.

I know its quite old but how do you get to Lard Lads 2nd and 3rd hatch in the Simpsons demo?? I really can't do it which probably shows my level of intelligence! :indiff::lol:

Also, anyone who liked the first heavenly sword demo should definitely download Kai demo from the JPN store... its alot of fun and nice to experience Kai's gameplay, only thing I wish was that the speech was in english.

I'm still undecided on this game, may wait till it comes down in price, im in no rush!

Robin

I haven't noticed any significant difference in download time between individual downloading and background downloading. You can monitor the background download speed by selecting Download Management from the Network bar in XMB[] and compare the rate to the size of the file to determine the transfer rate.

What's nice about background downloading is that not only will it continue downloading your list of files even when playing a game, but if you turn off the PS3 it remembers exactly where you left off so that once you turn your PS3 back on, it starts downloading where it left off - he same goes for if you lose connection during downloading. 👍

These days I use background downloading for everything but the wallpapers, as they download so quickly that they are usually done downloading before I even have time to select the "download in background" option. :)

That's another thing I like about the downloading options you have with the PSN stores, as you can also download files immediately even if it is currently downloading in the background.

So for instance, if you had several files already selected for background downloading, but then see a file you want to download right away, you don't have to manually pause each file in the download management list. Instead you just select the new file for download, and it will automatically start downloading that file and pause the background downloading for you. 👍

Here are the things that will cause the background downloading to pause:
  • Playing a Blu-ray Disc or DVD
  • Using network features of online games
    (while a game is in process of ending, background downloading will be stopped temporarily)
  • Starting PS2 format software
  • Starting Folding@home
  • Using voice/video chat
  • Performing a system update
  • Adjusting network settings
For those of us that were early PS3 adopters, we have the unfortunate memories of having to download each file manually, as the Background Downloading option didn't become available until the 1.6 update back in March.

Thanks for all this. I was aware of how the background downloads worked (I queue up a list every Thursday night) I just didn't know if it slowed anything down or not.

I know its quite old but how do you get to Lard Lads 2nd and 3rd hatch in the Simpsons demo?? I really can't do it which probably shows my level of intelligence! :indiff::lol:
If you mean how do you jump on them I just hit them while he was next to a building and the crane you can run up on.

I could never get Bart to go into full Bartman mode and fly/glide, but I figure that would work too.

07/11/01 North American PS Store Update

• Games
    • $6.00 Twisted Metal 2

• Game Add-ons
    • $7.50 The Godfather - The Don Collection
    • $3.50 The Godfather - Corleone Challenges
    • FREE The Godfather - Favor Pack - 3 Favor Missions
    • FREE The Godfather - Mobface Bundle - 5 Items
    • $3.50 The Godfather - Hired Assassin
    • FREE The Godfather - In-game Money - $50K
    • $1.00 The Godfather - In-game Money - $100K
    • $2.00 The Godfather - In-game Money - $250K
    • $5.00 The Godfather - Lvl 4 Weapon Bundle
    • $1.25 The Godfather - Lvl 4 Pistol - Herzstopper
    • $1.25 The Godfather - Lvl 4 Revolver - Black Widow
    • $1.25 The Godfather - Lvl 4 Magnum - Annihilator
    • $1.25 The Godfather - Lvl 4 Shotgun - Lupara Semi-automatic
    • $1.25 The Godfather - Lvl 4 Tommy Gun - Spectre Minigun

• Game Demos
    • TimeShift
    • Need For Speed: ProStreet

• Game Trailers
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - "Massive Attack"
    • Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - TGS
    • Need For Speed: ProStreet TV Spot
    • Burnout - "Annihilator"
    • Burnout - "Hawker"
    • Burnout - "Roadster"
    • Beowulf The Game - Teaser
    • PlayStation Eye

• Movie Trailers
    • The Bucket List - Theatrical
    • Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Blu-ray

07/11/01 UK PS Store Update
(other than pricing, applies to all European, Middle Eastern, Indian, South Pacific, and Australian regions)

• Applications
    • £2.00 PlayStation Eye - Tori Emaki
    • £2.00 PlayStation Eye - Mezmerise (Distort)

• Games
    • £5.00 Feel Ski (AKA GO! Sports: Ski)

• Game Demos
    • Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
    • Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

• Game Trailers
    • MotorStorm - Revenge Weekend
    • PlayStation Eye
    • Lair - Call of the Beast
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - BTS: Pt3 "Introducing Naughty Dog"
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - BTS: Pt2 "The Character and the Music"
    • Eye Of Judgment - How to Play

• Movie Trailers
    • Alien Vs Predator: Requiem - Theatrical
    • Hitman - Theatrical

• Wallpaper
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Uncharted Map

07/11/01 Japanese PS Store Update

• Games
    • ¥800 Toy Home

• Games
    • $6.00 Twisted Metal 2

• Oh boy, finally a classic PS1 game that I don't even hesitate on whether I want to buy it or not. Consider it bought when I get home.

Of course, I have to dig around and see if I still have my original copy. I loved the Twisted Metal series because you could actually pop them in a CD player and listen to the soundtrack (or was that just TM3?).

This makes me wonder about the rumored next version of the game. The developers (I can't remember who has the rights at this point) released a photo of a nuclear explosion and the image of a clown was clearly in the mushroom cloud. I hope this wasn't what they were teasing.

Oh boy, finally a classic PS1 game that I don't even hesitate on whether I want to buy it or not. Consider it bought when I get home.

Of course, I have to dig around and see if I still have my original copy. I loved the Twisted Metal series because you could actually pop them in a CD player and listen to the soundtrack (or was that just TM3?).

This makes me wonder about the rumored next version of the game. The developers (I can't remember who has the rights at this point) released a photo of a nuclear explosion and the image of a clown was clearly in the mushroom cloud. I hope this wasn't what they were teasing.

agreed on all points except the mushroom cloud (I think this was some sort of teaser for a future game)

Unfortunately I bought a used copies of TM, TM2, and TM4 (3 was one of the worst games I had ever played even as a kid!!) but I will probably still pick this one up so I can play it on the psp.

EDIT: although I have to say I didn't hesitate to buy Jet Moto, Crash Bandicoot, and Rally Cross (first Playstation game I ever had a taste of along with Warhawk)

Well, now that I finally have a faster internet connection, I can safely say that the PSN's downloads are definitely slower than XBL's. On my old DSL line, they were both equal, so I never noticed until yesterday and today. I'd estimate roughly half the speed, depending on what else is going on. Last night I downloaded the Ace Combat 6 demo on XBL, it was done in maybe fifteen minutes. Tonight, it took almost two hours to download the new GT5P video, which was only slightly larger than the AC6 demo. In fact, I'll still be letting it download overnight for the other videos and the NFS demo.. barely a Gig and a half, and yet it's going to take upwards of 5-6 hours to download it all. That ain't right.

What did you guys think of Timeshift? I thought it was pretty fun, but i didnt enjoy the visuals all that much, they were good, but just not great. I have yet to download NFS:PS, but it looks like a good game as well.

Arent we getting a COD 4 and Uncharted demo next week?

What did you guys think of Timeshift? I thought it was pretty fun, but i didnt enjoy the visuals all that much, they were good, but just not great. I have yet to download NFS:PS, but it looks like a good game as well.

Arent we getting a COD 4 and Uncharted demo next week?

Ya know after playing the NFS Pro Street demo, a game I so wanted to purchase when it comes out, has left me with a big meh. The Visuals were so so, they weren't as great as I had thought. The smoke was awesome but the visuals seem lacking to me. The highway run was fun, but driving the GTR on the street was boring. The car handled like a pig and instead of it being fun the circuit race felt like a big chore. Hopefully they get this fixed when they release this game. I'm glad I played the demo first.

Well, now that I finally have a faster internet connection, I can safely say that the PSN's downloads are definitely slower than XBL's.
Safely how? You realize you are comparing download times during the busiest time on the PSN servers (as this is the day all new content is made available) to a demo, Ace Combat 6, that was released nearly four months ago, and likely very few people are downloading. How is that at all a reasonable comparison such as to say you can safely say PSN downloads are slower than XBL??? :odd:

If you read some of the threads in the 360 forum where popular demos were just released, guess what... they also complain about incredibly long download times, even server errors.

As was discussed here just recently, and in other threads, several different things can impact download times, including high traffic in your network as well as high traffic on the host's servers where the content is being downloaded from.

BTW: I downloaded the GT5P video in just under 8 minutes this afternoon while I was putting together the list of all the content from the store updates, which was a little slower than usual, but a good deal faster than what you experienced, and shows how much a difference downloading during high traffic times has on download speeds.

Of course even then, that's what background downloading is for. Set it and forget it. If you like to watch water boil, or paint dry, I would then suggest either downloading content as soon as it becomes available, or wait a day.

Personally, I would just set it to background downloading and run some laps on GT5:P demo. 👍

agreed on all points except the mushroom cloud (I think this was some sort of teaser for a future game)
I do too, but I am just saying I hope they weren't teasing this. That would be quite a disappointment.

Unfortunately I bought a used copies of TM, TM2, and TM4 (3 was one of the worst games I had ever played even as a kid!!) but I will probably still pick this one up so I can play it on the psp.
For me the series peaked at TM2. Three was OK but the boards weren't very creative and it was WAAAAYYYYY too easy. I did like TM4, I mean I could play as Rob Zombie or use a nuke as a weapon, but it still paled to TM2. If I recall the license was sold after TM2 and so that explains the change.

Before someone comments: I realize a lot of people liked Black, but I never got to play more than a demo.

EDIT: although I have to say I didn't hesitate to buy Jet Moto, Crash Bandicoot, and Rally Cross (first Playstation game I ever had a taste of along with Warhawk)
I have been contemplating Crash Bandicoot as well as Rampage: World Tour for a while. I was contemplating Rally Cross, but while making sure I didn't still have my old TM2 copy I found I still have Rally Cross along with Hydro Thunder GT1, GT2, Resident Evil 2, and Namco Museum vol. 2.

I would love for them to release the original Warhawk.

Well, now that I finally have a faster internet connection, I can safely say that the PSN's downloads are definitely slower than XBL's. On my old DSL line, they were both equal, so I never noticed until yesterday and today. I'd estimate roughly half the speed, depending on what else is going on. Last night I downloaded the Ace Combat 6 demo on XBL, it was done in maybe fifteen minutes. Tonight, it took almost two hours to download the new GT5P video, which was only slightly larger than the AC6 demo. In fact, I'll still be letting it download overnight for the other videos and the NFS demo.. barely a Gig and a half, and yet it's going to take upwards of 5-6 hours to download it all. That ain't right.
The GT5 video only took me about a half hour to download, which is great for my usual Thursday night speeds. Thursday nights are always slow, but I had Twisted Metal 2 (300+ mb) and the GT5 video downloaded in about an hour.

I did have an issue with getting on to the PS Store last night. It kept showing no visuals, just the text links, and whenever I attempted to download something it would give me a connection or server error and boot me from the store. I decided to attempt a test and I shut down the PS3 while I walked the dog. I cam back in and booted it back up and found everything suddenly working fine. I have a feeling this may have been a connection issue on my side and just resetting the connection fixed it. I may want to attempt a reboot every Thursday just to make sure my network is running smoothly. I wonder if this doesn't account for my higher than usual DL speeds too.

Back