Official Playstation Store Thread

There's definitely something going on. I did a similar test tonight, downloading (or attempting to) the Heavenly Sword demo. 994MB, I think? Anyway, after precisely seventy-five minutes (1h15m), the download was only 18% complete, and I cancelled it.

I ran several speedtests afterwards, and my connection is topping out at only around 3Mb/sec, which is less than half of what it usually runs at (it's a 8Mb/sec connection, and when I got it hooked up earlier this week, it topped out at 8321Kb/sec). So it's running slower than it should, certainly, but still not slow enough to account for how long that download is taking. There's something interfering somewhere along the way.
Yes, clearly you are having a problem somewhere in your network, as a 3Mb/s connection would allow you to download a 1GB demo (like Heavenly Sword) in just under 45 minutes.

Any idea where the North American servers are hosted?
No idea, but yes, I am in Austin Texas so any difference between our downloading times would be reflective of our different ISP service/network traffic and not Sony server traffic.

As another test I just checked my speed again on my PS3:

199747480.png

And started to download the Heavenly Sword demo at exactly 10:06:30 PM.

While typing this, I am already at 50% after just eleven minutes (10:17:30 PM), which is a transfer rate of 6Mb/s... a little lower than what speedtest said was my current max download speed, but many time faster than what you are experiencing.

If it where me, I'd document your results and immediately contact your ISP so that they can try and find out why you are having this problem.

EDIT: Just finished the download at 10:28:25 PM = 996 MB in 22 minutes = 6036 kb/s

So you're running the test directly on your PS3, then? I keep forgetting the PS3 has an internet browser, I should try that.. I was running it on my PC. Incidentally, I just ran the test again at Speakeasy, and it topped out at 8351Kb/sec, more than double what it was doing last night.

So you're running the test directly on your PS3, then?
Yes. Although for some odd reason it wont let me add www.speedtest.net to my bookmarks and it doesn't show up in my history either. :odd:

No big deal as it's such a short URL address, but I'd like to know why it won't allow that site to be bookmarked and why it doesn't show up in the history list.

Also, you'd be surprised how well GTP looks on the PS3's browser... I've posted several times from the PS3. :)

But it pays to use a USB wireless keyboard. 👍

BTW: If you use SPEEDTEST, every test result is assigned a number that precedes .png - that's what I copied and pasted into my posts to show the results.

Yes. Although for some odd reason it wont let me add www.speedtest.net to my bookmarks and it doesn't show up in my history either. :odd:

No big deal as it's such a short URL address, but I'd like to know why it won't allow that site to be bookmarked and why it doesn't show up in the history list.

Quite odd as I had no problem adding that site to my bookmarks. Could it be that you already have a number of bookmarks and that the browser won't let you add any more? Seems kinda stupid, but it's about the only explanation I can think of.

Quite odd as I had no problem adding that site to my bookmarks. Could it be that you already have a number of bookmarks and that the browser won't let you add any more? Seems kinda stupid, but it's about the only explanation I can think of.
Are we both talking about the PS3 browser? I can bookmark it on my PC browsers without any problems at all, but it won't allow me to on the PS3 browser for some strange reason. It isn't because I have too many bookmarks either, as not only will it let me bookmark other sites but I'm pretty sure there isn't a maximum number of bookmarks allowed, or if there is such a number, it's likely far greater than what I have now.

It's not really bothering me, but I do find it quite odd. Maybe it's because of the plug-in that's required to activate prior to opening that web page?

Are we both talking about the PS3 browser? I can bookmark it on my PC browsers without any problems at all, but it won't allow me to on the PS3 browser for some strange reason. It isn't because I have too many bookmarks either, as not only will it let me bookmark other sites but I'm pretty sure there isn't a maximum number of bookmarks allowed, or if there is such a number, it's likely far greater than what I have now.

Yup, I was referring to the PS3 browser. Just double checking here; it is the very top bookmark I have and the info button indicates the address is http://www.speedtest.net just as we would expect. Soooo... I'm just as baffled as you. Something simple must be amiss.

It's not really bothering me, but I do find it quite odd. Maybe it's because of the plug-in that's required to activate prior to opening that web page?

Just tried deleting the bookmark and re-adding it and that worked fine too. I did say yes to the launch plug-in though.

Yup, I was referring to the PS3 browser. Just double checking here; it is the very top bookmark I have and the info button indicates the address is http://www.speedtest.net just as we would expect. Soooo... I'm just as baffled as you. Something simple must be amiss.
Well it seems I can add it to my bookmarks by pressing the select button, but in the "File" menu list, "Add to Bookmarks" remains shaded out, and thus disabled... but at least I now have SPEEDTEST bookmarked. 👍

BTW: Just for fun I ran a test for a connection to their Tokyo server... nearly 7,000 miles away:

200098478.png

Is there a way to get the exact server addresses for the various PS Stores?

Last night I reconnected the PS3 to a wired connection and it downloaded Juiced 2 within 10 minutes, must be the router...

Last night I reconnected the PS3 to a wired connection and it downloaded Juiced 2 within 10 minutes, must be the router...
Yeah, sounds as if the router is old and/or there's something wrong with it. I can't remember whether you mentioned what signal strength you are getting from the router to the PS3 - mine is around 85-90%, and it's absolutely fine.

G.T
Yeah, sounds as if the router is old and/or there's something wrong with it. I can't remember whether you mentioned what signal strength you are getting from the router to the PS3 - mine is around 85-90%, and it's absolutely fine.

See when I looked at signal strength on the PS3 linking wirelessly it said signal strength was 100%....

07/11/08 North American PS Store Update

• Game Add-ons
    • $6.00 MotorStorm - Devil's Weekend
    • $6.25 Guitar Hero III - Velvet Revolver Pack
    • $6.25 Guitar Hero III - Foo Fighters Pack

• Game Demos
    • Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune
    • College Hoops 2K8

• Game Trailers
    • Devil May Cry 4 - TGS Trailer 2 ("Full Version")
    • MotorStorm - Devil's Weekend
    • Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD - Launch Trailer
    • WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008
    • Burnout Paradise - "Carson GT"
    • Burnout Paradise - "Manhattan"

• Movie Trailers
    • One Missed Call - Theatrical
    • Sweeney Todd - Theatrical
    • Hostel Part II - Blu-ray

• Wallpaper
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 1
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 2
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 3
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 4
    • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 5

• Themes
    • Classy Pink
    • Nature
    • Pixels

07/11/08 UK PS Store Update
(other than pricing, applies to all European, Middle Eastern, Indian, South Pacific, and Australian regions)

• Games
    • £15.00 Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection - Online

• Game Add-ons
    • £3.50 Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection - Online - Upgrade
    • £3.50 Cool Boarders
    • £1.50 Folklore - Bottom of the Sea
    • £4.00 MotorStorm - Devil's Weekend

• Game Demos
    • Need For Speed: Pro Street

• Game Trailers
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - BTS: Animation Overview ("Tech Dive: Gameplay Animation")

• System Trailers
    • PSP Shapes Your World

07/11/08 Hong Kong PS Store Update
(other than pricing, applies to Taiwan and Southeast Asia regions)

• Game Add-ons
    • HK$32 MotorStorm - Premium Pack Vol.2 (Devil's Weekend)
    • FREE MotorStorm - Halloween Livery (07/11/05)

• Game Demos
    • Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (07/11/06)

• Game Trailers
    • Devil May Cry 4 - 2007 TGS Long Version ("Trailer 2")

• Music Videos
    • King Fook Sammi Show 2007 - (pt.1) (07/11/02)
    • King Fook Sammi Show 2007 - (pt.2) (07/11/02)

• TV Shows
    • Baby BOBO Explore in Ghost House - (pt.1) (07/11/06)
    • Baby BOBO Explore in Ghost House - (pt.2) (07/11/06)

07/11/08 Japanese PS Store Update

• Games
    • ¥800 Piyotama
    • ¥800 Dark Mist

• Game Add-ons
    • ¥300 FolkSoul (Folklore) - Vol.5
    • FREE MotorStorm - Halloween Livery
    • FREE Imabikisou

• Game Demos
    • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

• Game Trailers
    • Devil May Cry 4 - 2007 TGS Long Version ("Trailer 2")
    • Heavenly Sword - Legend of the Sword Pt. 4: The Divine Birth (07/11/07)
    • Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights (07/11/06)
    • The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion - Character Making (07/11/02)

Well it seems I can add it to my bookmarks by pressing the select button, but in the "File" menu list, "Add to Bookmarks" remains shaded out, and thus disabled... but at least I now have SPEEDTEST bookmarked. 👍

Welp there you have it. I never tried adding bookmarks from the File menu list. So simple it's funny.

Is there a way to get the exact server addresses for the various PS Stores?

Boy I have no idea. I'm guessing you are thinking of pinging the servers to determine latency and the like? Anyhoo you might want to try contacting each store through the "about us" link found at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Maybe they will provide it if you ask nicely and explain how it would be beneficial to you as a PS3 owner, might even be a good idea to use the PS3 browser to send the request. Never hurts to ask right?

Boy I have no idea. I'm guessing you are thinking of pinging the servers to determine latency and the like? Anyhoo you might want to try contacting each store through the "about us" link found at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Maybe they will provide it if you ask nicely and explain how it would be beneficial to you as a PS3 owner, might even be a good idea to use the PS3 browser to send the request. Never hurts to ask right?
Excellent suggestions, when I get the chance I'll see if that will work. 👍

What is this, and is it in English?
They are extended video clips from a MTV style TV show in Hong Kong showing teenage girls in school uniforms going through a pretty bad haunted house and being interviewed before and after... no English language or subtitles. Not at all worth downloading IMO, unless you are into cute Asian girls in school uniforms. ;)

Update: I forgot to include the UK Store updates in the recent Weekly Update post. I went ahead and added it, as well as a few files from other stores that I overlooked. Sorry about that.

Not that this is important or anything but at last I can access the PS store from my Saudi account since I bought the system (same time release as Europe) I always had to download the stuff from a European account, as my Saudi account didn't have access to PS store but now its working :D:D and I think I can buy the games still have to try that

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Excellent suggestions, when I get the chance I'll see if that will work. 👍

They are extended video clips from a MTV style TV show in Hong Kong showing teenage girls in school uniforms going through a pretty bad haunted house and being interviewed before and after... no English language or subtitles. Not at all worth downloading IMO, unless you are into cute Asian girls in school uniforms. ;)

Downloading:D

One missed call = The Ring with cell phone instead of VHS... should be called The Ring.... Tone
So we now have The Ring, Stay Alive, and One Missed Call.

Does Hollywood hate multimedia technology? They seemed determined to make us afraid of it.

Wait, wasn't there one about a Web site too? Fear.com maybe?

What I do in the privacy of my own home.........
:D

BTW: They just uploaded a couple more videos from this show on the HK Store.

They both feature more cute Asian girls in school uniforms. The first they are fondling phallic shaped fruits and vegetables... yeah... very MTV style. :D

The second video is of them in some kind of girl on girl bowling match.

The video quality is really good for video, and clearly shot on a very high quality 1080p camera. Just be warned though, the files are BIG, combined they are 2.2 GB, but what do you expect from 26 minutes of 1080p video. :)

:D

BTW: They just uploaded a couple more videos from this show on the HK Store.

They both feature more cute Asian girls in school uniforms. The first they are fondling phallic shaped fruits and vegetables... yeah... very MTV style. :D

The second video is of them in some kind of girl on girl bowling match.

The video quality is really good for video, and clearly shot on a very high quality 1080p camera. Just be warned though, the files are BIG, combined they are 2.2 GB, but what do you expect from 26 minutes of 1080p video. :)

Gonna check it out tonight, but i found that Halloween videos quite weird. How xan you be scared of a red stained blanket:odd:

I'm surprised we haven't seen our weekly update yet, though by the looks of network troubles some people are having it sounds like they are working on something.... strange that I didn't have any trouble checking the ps store over remote play from work though.

All the other stores have had their updates.. although they were all pretty minimal. I was going to wait until the US Store had it's update, but if it's going to be much longer I'll just post them instead.

The US Update is now available... and it's huge! Over 2GB of non-game content!

No themes (although there are now hundreds of user generated themes on the net), or any new PSN games (I thought Toy Home and PAIN were going to be released today), but the update does include two new demos, one for the PSN game Toy Home and the other for the multi-platform game Blazing Angels II a new PSN video, several game trailers and BTS videos, three movie trailers including the latest one for the new Batman film, The Dark Knight! 👍

Oh and a four new wallpapers for Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (very nice screen shots!).

Overall, one of the best updates I've seen since this Summer. 👍

That's hawt. Starting the downloads on your PSP if you are away from your PS3.

Toy Home has the same problem as Lair. The SIXAXIS is just not responsive enough. I know it's not a controller problem because Flow controls great.

Back