Oh, oh, oh, I'm making a Ludicrous Claim®! Read the first post!

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 5,760 comments
Its not surprising at all. My other friend claims that his aunt's Jetta can hit 180 stock, just because the speedo reads up to 180. Which I used to think was true for my car, but I had outgrown that by 4 years old.

This is a stock Jetta 1.8T we're talking about, people!

I wouldn't have thought it would read upto 180 on the speedo, I don't think they can hit much ober 130mph, if that. The Bora 2.3 V5 tops out just shy of 140mph.

It won't do that, the Jetta is not a fast car. Out of interest which generation Jetta are you talking about, could you just google a pic.

Infact I'm suprised the speedo on the 1.8 reads 180mph, to put it into perspective the 2.3 V5 is one of the fastest Jetta's made. The fastest currently in produciton is the 2.0T FSI sport which tops out at 145mph, the 1.8T won't come that close 150mph.

Its not surprising at all. My other friend claims that his aunt's Jetta can hit 180 stock, just because the speedo reads up to 180. Which I used to think was true for my car, but I had outgrown that by 4 years old.

This is a stock Jetta 1.8T we're talking about, people!
2004%20White%20Mamba%20Viper%20027%20a.jpg

That's like thinking a SRT-10 can do 220Mph. I used to think many, many years ago on older Vipers til' me father set me straight on it.

My biscayne's speedo goes to 120... I'm not sure if it would even come close.

(maybe 115, with the hopped up smallblock that's in now, but that's still doubtful.)

No I meant the speedo goes to around 150 mph, the car probably around 125. Sorry for confusion.

It was the last generation Jetta, before the GTI MK V generation.

2004%20White%20Mamba%20Viper%20027%20a.jpg

That's like thinking a SRT-10 can do 220Mph. I used to think many, many years ago on older Vipers til' me father set me straight on it.
Well, a 30 MPH (give or take 5) difference in top speed is slightly more acceptable than a 50 MPH difference, especially when the car looks like it can pull it's top speed (or, at the very least looks more like it would than the Jetta would pull 180).

I had a Sentra that could hit 100 mph (160 km/h) on the speedometer in under ten seconds from a standing start...

never could get that sucker recalibrated after the engine-swap. :lol: I'd hit the ECU speedlimiter at a claimed 180 km/h, when in reality, trucks going 120 were overtaking me. :lol:

Their was talk in australia to lower all cars speedo's to 120kph or so (70 - 80mph) since the fastest legal speed (apart from northen territory) is 100kph (60mph).

Pretty silly idea IMHO.

Well, its a known fact; the makers always extend the speedometer 10~30mph over the car's actual top speed...

Good old 80's GM with the 85mph speedo's, I hope thats not 10~30mph past their top speed. :scared: :lol:

Well, its a known fact; the makers always extend the speedometer 10~30mph over the car's actual top speed...

My Beetle's speedo goes up to 85. And YEP, it can go 85. But since mine is of the later 1979 era, it doesn't have one that goes up to 100. And no, I haven't gotten the needle to max out, yet. I usually keep it around 70, which is plenty fast when the tops down and you're on the Parkway.

My CRX speedo goes to 190km/h, the factory limit kicks in at 180km/h but it shows as 190km/h on the speedo.

So I can't wind it off the clock :(

Unless of course I swap in the ECU from my race car which has no speed limit (I think) :mischievous:

Good old 80's GM with the 85mph speedo's, I hope thats not 10~30mph past their top speed. :scared: :lol:

Even the C4 Corvette's digital speedomter "topped out" at 85. Somehow, the powers-that-be and American automakers thought that was a good idea to reduce speeding on just about every American car. The 85mph speedometer limitation, thankfully ended around 1990 or so.

Now every automaker feels the need to add 30-50 more mph for the sheer fantasy of it all.

Steep hill with a GT35 set-up...... yeah I expect you to make 160mph and fly right passed it. :lol:

You might hit 160mph in one of thoes if you just drive off a cliff.

I had an 88 Buick Somerset with a digital speedometer that just started flashing when I hit 85mph.

Of course, it also had a digital odometer that said "FULL" when I hit 200,000 miles. :eek: My mechanic refused to reset it because he was afraid that it would count as rolling it back.

He never said it was, the picture is the Sierra. I have however laid down the challenge for him to post a pic with "hello GTP" on itwith the bonnet up or on the inside of the car.

9 off-topic posts full of noise, deleted.

Knock it off guys. Nøz, you're following in Alpines steps. You've been told not to. The rest of you, don't encourage it.

Back