Oh, oh, oh, I'm making a Ludicrous Claim®! Read the first post!

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 5,760 comments
LdS
Also, who the hell goes to a Gran Turismo dedicated web site/Forum saying that he doesn’t like or he doesn’t think Gran Turismo is challenging, and then says to own a Ford GT?

While not quite that specific, I can assure you that plenty of people come here to raise issues with the Gran Turismo series and a far few make ludicrous claims about cars they 'claim' to own. More than enough manage both at the same time.

LdS
So, closing the thread, ask the guy for proof and if he provides it, reopen it isn’t ensuring the AUP?
No. As only a small part of the original thread was an AUP issue, the main point is a valid topic for discussion.

LdS
If making a claim WITHOUT proof is against the AUP, so that thread is against the AUP, so, just close it.
See above.

LdS
The guy that wanted attention doesn’t get that attention he asked for and there is no degration to the site. Also, if he keeps posting about it (again) WITHOUT any proof at all, close it again and Ban him. Has simple has that. If you don’t have any proof of what you are saying, just don’t post nothing.

It depends if the person in question has or not proof of what he is saying. If that person says to claim something without proof, I say, close the thread, ask that person for proof, unable to get some proof, he is a liar. Has simple has put. It is quite doubtable that one person that have such collection of cars, doesn’t have a photo of the cars, nor a photo of him with the car.

Also, for backing up my idea, it is against the AUP, claiming something WITHOUT proof, so even if you are telling the truth, if you have not any proof at all of what you are saying, you are getting against the AUP. It is not a single bit unfair at all.
Closing perfectly valid threads based on a small part of it is a plain daft idea, it also suggests that the member in question is actually a liar (and that has not yet been determined).

The topic has been moved here for discussion (by a member of staff), which is the correct location to discuss it, prior to proof or apology, and the original thread can carry on its original discussion.

We have a set manner of handling issues such as this (which is quite clearly laid out in this very thread), and that is how the matter will be handled.

Regards

Scaff

LdS
So, closing the thread, ask the guy for proof and if he provides it, reopen it isn’t ensuring the AUP?

If making a claim WITHOUT proof is against the AUP, so that thread is against the AUP, so, just close it. The guy that wanted attention doesn’t get that attention he asked for and there is no degration to the site. Also, if he keeps posting about it (again) WITHOUT any proof at all, close it again and Ban him. Has simple has that. If you don’t have any proof of what you are saying, just don’t post nothing.
Making a claim without proof is not in violation of the AUP, knowingly posting false information is. There is a difference.

And your idea of shutting down a thread when someone does this only works if it is done in the OP. What if someone makes a seemingly false claim in the Announcements or General Questions threads? Shut it down until that person can prove otherwise?

See, we don't need a huge number of clauses for enforcing rules. The mods would go insane if they had to look at their chart for If A then action A or If A, but C then action C. No, for any possibly ludicrous claim you handle them all the same way. You ask and you leave the thread open so that any innocent posters who are using the thread can continue the discussion at hand.

Now, if the thread is about that specific claim, then yes, you shut it down as spam. The thread in question is not about the claim, but the claim is thrown in as his attempt to validate his opinion. I am of the personal opinion that we already have what seems like a half million threads on the problem with GT5P and this thread is just more of the same, but that isn't my judgment to make.

Also, for backing up my idea, it is against the AUP, claiming something WITHOUT proof, so even if you are telling the truth, if you have not any proof at all of what you are saying, you are getting against the AUP. It is not a single bit unfair at all.
I suggest you read the AUP again.

You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

I don't see the without proof clause. I have dark brown hair, but if I never provide a picture no one will care. And before you ask, check my profile or my pics linked in my sig.

LdS
If making a claim WITHOUT proof is against the AUP, so that thread is against the AUP, so, just close it. The guy that wanted attention doesn’t get that attention he asked for and there is no degration to the site. Also, if he keeps posting about it (again) WITHOUT any proof at all, close it again and Ban him. Has simple has that. If you don’t have any proof of what you are saying, just don’t post nothing.

I've also just noticed this part.

Please do not even suggest possible outcomes of moderation. If an AUP violation has occurred and the actual punishment that follows is solely the role of the staff here. The result of which will be discussed with the member in question and no one else.

Even the suggestion of a punishment can be taken the wrong way, and this member has to date do nothing more than make a claim we want to proof of.

I will be honest with statement such as this you are getting close to an attempt at moderation, which is not a smart move. By all means discuss how you think situations like this should be handled, but do not discus what you think the outcome should be.

Thanks

Scaff

Ok, I understand now. I must of mislead something and made a confusion up on my own.
Thanks for all the clarifications, and sorry if I have offended anyone.

I've also just noticed this part.

Please do not even suggest possible outcomes of moderation. If an AUP violation has occurred and the actual punishment that follows is solely the role of the staff here. The result of which will be discussed with the member in question and no one else.

Even the suggestion of a punishment can be taken the wrong way, and this member has to date do nothing more than make a claim we want to proof of.

I will be honest with statement such as this you are getting close to an attempt at moderation, which is not a smart move. By all means discuss how you think situations like this should be handled, but do not discus what you think the outcome should be.

Thanks

Scaff

Just stated my opinion, nothing more. But for the future, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks 👍

Damn, half of my post has dissapeared. I did edit it but I didn't delete much let alone the whole second half starting mid scentence. That's an unprovable claim btw ;).

So.... does the guy own a Ford GT? I'd like to compare notes. My shifter gets clunky when it's hot out, so I'm wondering if I have to pull down the fuel tank...

:lol:

Indeed, tis a slippery slope... and I'm happy this site is strict about it... I reported a double-accounter on another site, but they let the guy slide because his second account is not problematic, but the guy is abusing the "rep" thing like crazy there... he may seem harmless, but to allow it opens yourself up to questioning if you don't allow other people to do it... I'm mildly miffed, because I'm an ex-mod, and a friend is a super-mod on that site... but what can you do? They enjoy the traffic that trollage gives them... :lol:

If I had an exotic car like that, I'd have a picture up in 45 seconds, just to rub everyone's nose in it. This whole "if you don't believe me, screw you" attitude is a dead giveaway. Or, there are the alternative "I don't have a camera", "I don't have time to take a picture", or "my car is across town right now" excuses to fall back on.

If I had an exotic car like that, I'd have a picture up in 45 seconds, just to rub everyone's nose in it. This whole "if you don't believe me, screw you" attitude is a dead giveaway. Or, there are the alternative "I don't have a camera", "I don't have time to take a picture", or "my car is across town right now" excuses to fall back on.
Seriously, I took pictures of my Rabbit.

If I had a car like that I would take a picture almost daily.

Being that we are a GT and automotive enthusiast website and forum, we don't ask for much more than a little proof about your car, if asked. The bigger and more outlandish the claim, the more we may ask for proof, or a few details about it, since that's the initial scope of interest that GTPlanet is based on.

We don't regularly nor typically care about what computer you use, or what clothes you wear, or how many significant others you have or had, except in the threads in which there is specific details to be discussed. In short, the staff and established members here (and possibly even the average person) figure that someone who would lie about the car they drive would lie about anything else. And we've run into that before; once a few questions are raised, it's obvious or suspicious.

Why bother having a discussion forum if nobody tells the truth, or the information is invalid: For example, if we told people they could win an Audi R8 by winning the Sunday Cup, do you think this website would be as popular as it is? Would you trust the advice given from someone who commonly uses lies and deception?

In an age where digital cameras cost $50-100, and have become ubiquitous (they're on just about every new cell phone lately), it's not a lot to ask that a person over 20 years old has access to a camera. Disposable print cameras can be bought for a dollar or two; obviously someone with a $30,000+ car can afford that.

If someone really doesn't want to post pictures of their car, fine. That's not your problem, to be honest. Go on and drive your car. But don't discuss your "car" any longer with us, that is what we ask in return. We do not need anecdotal information from members without some sort of proof.

Last edited:
Apathy may be the easy choice with regards to false claims, but a taking a hard stance ensures that sea of false claims wont plague and degrade the great discussion found on GTPlanet.

Sir... that was one of the finest quotes I've read on this site!

You are now officially on my 'must read their posts' list. 👍

:cheers:

This guy, gave me quite a few funnies, but its gone far enough so I decided to call him out.

This is the thread https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112353&page=3

here are the posts

post pictures of your own car offroad, talk about your future rally car, or discuss tuning settings.(mods, move if necessary)

i'm still working on getting $100K to 1) get an '09 Ford Ranger(will leave me with $90K) and 2) have the guys at Ford Racing do a total WRC conversion on it, or just get me a Focus WRC Rally Car engine to put in it(i'm planning on getting a 4x4, so i won't need to convert a 2x4 into a 4x4 and spend too much money.). also, i've been thinking about sponsors(i actually want to start a WRC team), and i think i may want to go with a GTPlanet car(well, truck, but, you know what i mean...).
yes, but it will be a LONG-@$$ time, considering that i can't find a Ranger that is in my price range. in fact, i'm going to get it used, and probably not for WRC racing, maybe just SCCA and USRC racing. i think i'll get an '04 Ranger, maybe a 2wd version, considering it's smaller, and lighter. i hope to get it done before the 2009 New York Rally(not that i'm entering, i just want it to be finished by then).

there are actually more candidates for a car for me:

Volkswagen Vanagon
Honda CR-V
Volvo V70/S60
Porsche 924
smart fortwo
Mazda Miata MX-5
Chevrolet HHR
AMC Gremlin
Suzuki Cultus
Acura 3.2 TL
Porsche Cayenne

yes, i can afford most of those, and YES i was serious about the fortwo and the Gremlin(how i'm going to fit my 6'3" self into any car is anyone's guess).

actually, i might go with that idea, only that a friend of mine recently bought a smart fortwo, and incidentally won one in a competition, and i'm going to ask him if i can have the one he won. if he lets me, i might have the smallest rally car in the Rally America Open Class. if you see a fortwo sponsored by Fire-Lite Alarms, that's me.
it hasn't been abandoned. i'm still here.

anyways, narrowed down to only 6 few cars:

Acura 3.2 TL '01
Volvo V70R '03
Honda CRV '06
Toyota Matrix XR '07
Subaru Baja '05
Toyota Camry '08

i think the TL or the Matrix would be a good bet. the CRV and V70R are for if i can't find a used TL or Matrix cheap enough. the Matrix is about as popular as a Camry here in TX, so i should find one easily though. if the above 4 don't interest me, i'm going with the Camry. hell, there's already a NASCAR Camry, so why not a WRC spec Camry?(with a Supra RZ engine, maybe?)

--EDIT--

i don't work for Fire-Lite, and i probably never will. i was working for a company called Fire Safe, but i got fired, then went to work for ADT, but i then got fired for my religion(i'm jewish, by the way)!
well, i'd go with a Celica, but with the amount of options i have now... damn... it looks like i'm down to 2 cars(finally)

1995 Honda Oddysey
1993 Volvo 240 GL

the Oddysey, i know it's a safe car, but i can already hear people giggling about that, so F that idea... i've seen a lot of Volvo rally cars, so that might work.

Some whose hobby is fire alarms, plans to spend 100k to throw at some aweful cars to make the competative, but cannot prevent his mommy from taking away his PS3, oh did I mention still in school?

umm, sorry for the double post(SERIOUSLY!!), but what is "the pic"?????????

if no-one wants to tell me in this thread, PM me(also, sorry for going off-topic... i'm in school, so i really am not supposed to be on here...)

same here, man. i'd look, but since i'm in my 4th week of school, things have gotten hellish for me(mom took my PS2 away again), so looking over the web for hybrid codes is really 🤬 hard. if i had hybrid codes for CodeBreaker, right now i'd be drifting with an 80 horsepower benz patent motor wagen.(or a 299hp 4wd PRIUS G Touring Selection... yes, rally prius.)

Here's his fire alarm thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3074068#post3074068

Everyone has there pipedream, but this resembles humorous trolling

PM to be sent.

[edit] Oh cheers DN, didn't spot that post :)

Last edited:
Like I said Simplex 4100U is the previously banned member Camaro SS, 928 GTS, and Xiao Clone. Judging by how his past three accounts acted I'm not surprised this one is any different.

Im a world class racing driver too!!

On pc sims...

There are plenty of real racers that play sim racing games., I'll tell you that for free. (Yes, that's right, put your wallet away)

So. Last week dude, i totally added a stage 4 turbo to my Fiero!

I know right? it goes soooo fast i added 300 BHP to that sucker, AND then to top it all off i added an intercooler... ON A FIERO!! wow.

Dudes, this car is FAST! it goes from 0-60mph in like 2 seconds flat!

THATS how fast my ride is!

and now onto the truth, i have an oil leak, a tire thats low on air, i go 0-60 in like 6 seconds and in the snow i have to drive like 20 because i slide everywhere.

oh and i do own a 68 Camaro! the pictures you ask? well i dont have any. because we were screwed on it, it sits about 30 minutes away in someones barn, it goes 0-60 as fast as it takes you to push it. seeing as the engine is non existant, and its primer grey!

i soo wish we hadnt been screwed on that car, it would of been nice to actually say i did really own a *working* 1968 Chevrolet Camaro

This thread is supposed to be a place where we can point out ludicrous claims made by users who say they're telling the truth. Not so much to make ludicrous claims ourselves and see who makes the worst one. So thereyago.

TB
But it saves us all so much time not having to go and look for them! :lol:
The problem with ludicrous claims is that you rarely have to find them. They find you.

This is what I get for not keeping up with pop culture news... did Christopher Bridges become an ex patriot and move to Russia and change his last name to Claim???

;)

Back