Oh, oh, oh, I'm making a Ludicrous Claim®! Read the first post!

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 5,760 comments
I have a winner!:

So let us assume for the moment you are telling the truth, and at age 20 you have driven 20 or so cars that are in the game (although I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering what cars and what games you are refering to) , are you also saying you drove them at the same speeds and on the same or at least similar tracks as GT4, and are you saying you have done this enough to have a reasonable assessment to the actual driving physics?
GT4:
A Honda Civic, Mini Cooper, Mini Cooper S, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler Crossfire, Camaro SS, Toyota Celica, Scion xB, Corvette Z06, Dodge Ram, Ford F-150 Lightning, Honda Element, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chrysler 300C, Infiniti G35, Pontiac GTO, Pontiac Vibe, VW MKV GTI, Toyota Prius, Subaru WRX, Ford Taurus SHO...that's all I can think of without the list in front of me to see if I'm missing any.

I love how you try to make me out to be a liar on this, it's not hard to drive 20 cars from the game. I bet most people have if they have a license and their family and friends don't mind if you drive their cars.

I've driven most of them up to at least 80mph on the freeway and driving on city streets. You don't need to be on a race track to know how a car is supposed to feel.

Not that he drove all those cars over the last couple or so years (although even that seems a bit unlikely), but that he also says that by driving them on the freeway and on city streets he now knows exactly how they should drive on a track at race speeds...

...and then uses that bit of logic to claim he has the ability to properly judge the level of realism of the driving physics of all 720+ cars in GT4...

I’ve seen quite a few ludicrous claims in my time, but this is near the top of my list.

:)

Not that he drove all those cars over the last couple or so years (although even that seems a bit unlikely), but that he also says that by driving them on the freeway and on city streets he now knows exactly how they should drive on a track at race speeds...

You can drive a lot of cars on the road and get a feel for how they are supposed to feel. Accelerating out of stoplights and whipping around corners can give you a good feel for slow speed corners. Freeway on-ramps are great for medium speed corners. And I'm sure you can at least get an idea of how they should drive in real life. However, using those 20 ("slow" cars) to judge every car in the came is a little over the top.

Getting a feel and actually doing an accurate assesment of how a car, let alone hundreds of cars, will, not should, respond at actual race speeds is a big difference.

You certainly wont find many race teams driving their test cars on freeways and city streets to determine how their cars will respond while drving in a race on a specific track...

So yeah... quite a bit more than just a lttle over the top.. in fact what's the word I'm looking for... oh yeah...

LUDICROUS! :)

Um, not really dude.

EDIT: Remember this, he was looking for a new car. A lot of those may have been test drives, and the main thing you do on test drives is exactly that, test how the car drives. He probably drove over half of those cars specifically for the purpose of seeing how it performed.

Off the top of my head I've driven a honda civic, mazda miata, 3000gt, dodge ram,volkswagon golf, honda element, and a nissan 240sx. Thats 7 cars without too much thinking, and I've never gone on a test drive for a new car, and I'm only 17.

Um, not really dude.
Dude? :)

Please read my post again, it's not just about the cars, its everything else and all combined.

Limited access to less than 5% of all the cars, and mostly rather basic models compared to the 700+ other cars and the only said experience is driving on freeways and city streets is no way at all to then judge the accurate level of realistic physics of all 700+ cars in racing conditions no less... right dude? :)

nop i think it was more the fact to prove he owned the cars...being an 18 yr old who owns a 3kgt vr4 and mk3 supra able to run 150+mph traps at the drag strip.

I got the VR4 from a family friend It was a graduation present. He was having a kid so he had to get rid of it. The Supra is my cousins, but he got an 1993 Supra instead and he let me keep it. I might give it to my sister. I didnt know we had to prove the we own something. Both cars wer pre modded but, I put some in. The VR4 is only 367 HP and the Supra 338 HP. I tune cars as a hobby. I apologize that it sound odd.
s

I got the VR4 from a family friend It was a graduation present. He was having a kid so he had to get rid of it. The Supra is my cousins, but he got an 1993 Supra instead and he let me keep it. I might give it to my sister. I didnt know we had to prove the we own something. Both cars wer pre modded but, I put some in. The VR4 is only 367 HP and the Supra 338 HP. I tune cars as a hobby. I apologize that it sound odd.
s

still would be nice to see pics though, certainly you can understand how no one would believe you without them, it just happens too much on the internets to believe an 18 year old like yourself owns cars like these.

First you need a Digital camera with a way to transfer the pics onto the computer. Then upload them to some site like imageshack, Flickr, or numerous other sites. Then post them here.

Limited access to less than 5% of all the cars, and mostly rather basic models compared to the 700+ other cars and the only said experience is driving on freeways and city streets is no way at all to then judge the accurate level of realistic physics of all 700+ cars in racing conditions no less... right dude? :)
Where's the part where he said that he knows how all 700+ cars handle on a track?

I'll make a ludicrous claim. Ready? Here it goes.
(Clears... um, hands)

l0lKnoob I hav a liek a huge ferrari van well it goes 210 Mph liek in42 sec. well you can drive it if my oh my god it caught fire! well I cant post pics because it gone, but i has a nuther car a R36 skyline wagon it fast wow 300 Mph liek fastnow it is kool 0-60 in -42 sec that fast. yeah it have 3000 hp with 4 suprchargers and 3 turbos 492 psi on intake manifold. I crashed it so now no pics lol.
(if you can comprehend that, step away from the computer. Now.)

Wait 0-60 in -42 seconds?! So like does this thing like reverse time itself while it accelerates?! Jesus, that thing must be powered by pure win or something.

Where's the part where he said that he knows how all 700+ cars handle on a track?
If you click on the little quote icon that's to the left of the person being quoted it takes you to the thread and you'll find several of his posts making some definitive judgments of the realism of the driving physics in GT4, and not just the cars he used to later explain why he is qualified to judge the realism of GT4.

Here is an example:

But GT makes just about every car seem like it understeers way to much. I personally did not find GT4 to be very realistic at all other than the car looked the way they were supposed to. The gearing seemed off, the sound wasn't even somewhat correct, and the brakes didn't feel like they should.

Granted most of the time I played with traction control and stability control on, but I did experiment with turning them off so that I had the full effect of the game. Personally it didn't do much for me. GT4 seemed like PD put all of it's time into making cars and making it look pretty but forgot to do anything else.

Forza is better although I don't find it as realistic as it should. Some of the cars experience way to much oversteer, do not display enough body roll, the brakes are unrealistic as well (and heat up way to fast), and the damaging modeling is a bit weird.

I quit playing GT4 once the first Forza came out and I haven't really revisited since other then to look through some cars or play with photomode. The races were just so lame I couldn't play it any more. If I wanted a Le Mans racing game I would have bought one. I mean what good is a game with around 500 stock, road going car when you are forced to race the racing spec versions of them?

BTW: He added another ludicrous claim there at the end, as he was later pointed out, there are over 400 races in GT4 where the AI is only using stock production road cars, which account for 80% of all the races in the game, so in no way is anyone forced to race the racing spec versions of the 500 or so stock road going production cars as he claimed.

If you click on the little quote icon that's to the left of the person being quoted it takes you to the thread and you'll find several of his posts making some definitive judgments of the realism of the driving physics in GT4, and not just the cars he used to later explain why he is qualified to judge the realism of GT4.

Here is an example:

BTW: He added another ludicrous claim there at the end, as he was later pointed out, there are over 400 races in GT4 where the AI is only using stock production road cars, which account for 80% of all the races in the game, so in no way is anyone forced to race the racing spec versions of the 500 or so stock road going production cars as he claimed.
I actually agree with Joey's post. I never played the original Forza, but the second one has way better sounds and physics than gt4.

EDIT: I'd like to point out that these aren't exactly "ludicrous" claims. The definition of Ludicrous is basically something so absurd or rediculous that it causes laughter. I'm not finding these very funny, it's all just kinda "meh".

Here is an example:

Is Joey the new Duck? You seem to just pick someone and then pick holes in everything they say or do. Who's next?

But GT makes just about every car seem like it understeers way to much. I personally did not find GT4 to be very realistic at all other than the car looked the way they were supposed to. The gearing seemed off, the sound wasn't even somewhat correct, and the brakes didn't feel like they should.
I thought that most folk thought that. It's also written in a way that makes it personal opinion and therefore outwith ludicrous claim territory.

I'm just wondering where the "I've driven such-and-such-GT4-car" thread is so I can brag.

Wow I didn't think that was ludicrous but whatever makes you feel better D-N. I'm glad being right about a video is that important to you, but if that is the case then you are right and I am wrong because honestly is doesn't really matter.

Oh and you still never told me what cars you took to these tracks.

That's OK, I'll say it then... From my on-track experience (Laguna Seca & Sears Point - aka Infineon) and my experience playing GT3, GT4, Forza, Forza 2, PGR3 and PGR4, I have found GT4 driving physics overall feel the most realistic, but I can understand why some prefer Forza, like PGR4 it's overall physics and handling is more forgiving than GT4.

After playing PC sims and GT4 quite hard (safe to say faster than most) i can assure you that GT4 is arcade. I wouldnt go so far as to say its NFS like, but its certainly far more arcade than it is sim.

but this is going off topic haha

Getting a feel and actually doing an accurate assesment of how a car, let alone hundreds of cars, will, not should, respond at actual race speeds is a big difference.

You certainly wont find many race teams driving their test cars on freeways and city streets to determine how their cars will respond while drving in a race on a specific track...

So yeah... quite a bit more than just a lttle over the top.. in fact what's the word I'm looking for... oh yeah...

LUDICROUS! :)
You know what, you're reading far too much into this. No one said that driving on a road will give you a full indepth assesment of exactley how a car will drive on a track, what Joey was saying is that it gives you an idea. Generally speaking, road cars characteristics do not change a great deal from fast on the road, and fast on the track. Ofcourse a cars character changes the harder you drive it, the closer to peak power, but reaching peak power is reaching peak power. The cars character is the same, it's no different to reaching maximum braking ability, wherever I do it, I've reached maximum braking. And yes, I've emergency stopped more than once in my lifetime.

As I said in the thread you took this from, I have tracked a few times, but my cars felt the same, only faster. You are reading far too much into this, I get the idea that soon your going to start talking about 10ths of a second in braking and what not, none of that really applies or wins in an argument when applied to how a car feels, it applys to the skill of the driver. I'm not a fantastic driver on a track, but I can push my car to it's limits, I just won't be lapping as fast as a better driver in doing so. I can push my car to it's limits on the road as well, I wouldn't recommend it, but you can do it on the road and it is in some cases legal, such as braking to the limit in an emergency stop when needed (and only when needed).

The bottom line is, you can tell a lot of a cars character from driving it daily. This is after all the area most road cars are desgined for.

As for your comment about race teams testing thier cars on a road, well no, a road car and a race car are two very different machines. Everything about that argument is flawed I don't even know where to begin. Race cars are far more on edge near the limit than most road cars, my 306 on the limit was loud, very loud, but the handling was fine, until you pushed that little bit too hard and it understeered, it wasn't jittery and nervous, it didn't suddenly stop being a hatchback with sporting intentions and become something more extreme. a race car is extreme, even at lowe levels, race cars are extreme.

What will tire you out most, tracking an everyday road car for half an hour, or half an hour in a 125cc go-kart. I'll tell you now, it's the go kart and by one hell of a margin. Road cars are sedate, they're comfortable and they're placid, their behaviour on a track (generally speaking) reflects this in comparison to even low level race cars like 125bhp junior touring cars or whaever they're called.

No one, myself included, is saying that driving on a raod will mean your good enough to be a master on a track, driver skill does not come into this. But the feel for how the car will behave doesn't radically change in general. Again, no one myself included is saying that this is the cas for all road cars, if you say that your TL does then I'll take your word for it, I don't know that car, but I do know the general trend. I can also say that GT4 feels nothing like driving a real car, I'm not saying GT4 is rubbish, but games have a hell of a long way to go yet.

s

:dopey:

They give you these cars?

Someone would rather give away a $22,000 car than sell it? "Meh I'm having a baby here I'll sign the car over to your name - have fun with the insurance payments."

This happened?

Then it happened again?

"Meh I'm getting a new car here have my old one."

Yeah, happens to me all the time. Just the other week a mate of mine offered me his Ferrari, I turned it down because it would draw too much attention.

[offtopic]

With a badass shocker sticker on the pop up headlamp

[/offtopic]

ND4SPD, is that Rome sticker?

They had a Shocker board graphic a couple years ago, but I've also seen other people with the same thing on their decks. Never found out what company it is.

Is Joey the new Duck? You seem to just pick someone and then pick holes in everything they say or do. Who's next?
YOUUU.

or maybe me again when I reenter the gaming forums eventually lolol

they see me trollin', they hatin', patrolling they tryin' to catch me postin' dirty

[offtopic]

With a badass shocker sticker on the pop up headlamp

[/offtopic]

Hehe, they were making custom stickers at a show I went too, I just had to get shocker stickers for my car.... One on the pop ups, and one on the rear window.

ND4SPD, is that Rome sticker?

They had a Shocker board graphic a couple years ago, but I've also seen other people with the same thing on their decks. Never found out what company it is.

Nope, I don't think I've heard of that company at all. I just know it for it's technique for certain circumstances.;)

Back