PC Hardware | video settings | benchmarksPC 

• Thread starter Whitestar
  • 385 comments
Here's a triple setup question (yes, I'm considering getting it :)) for nvidia cards:
It is possible to have above 60Hz when using triples, correct? Do you have to create a custom resolution to get it, or can you just enable surround and then select desired refresh rate?

Here's a triple setup question (yes, I'm considering getting it :)) for nvidia cards:
It is possible to have above 60Hz when using triples, correct? Do you have to create a custom resolution to get it, or can you just enable surround and then select desired refresh rate?

If you are using Display Port Cables it will depend on the monitor resolution that you have. Assuming that they from post 2014, each monitor at 1080P they can run up to 240fps and at 1440p it can get to 165fps.

Are you asking if you can output more than 60Hz from the graphic card or display more than 60Hz on the monitor? At the GPU end, you can output any refresh rate you like and it will be limited only by your game settings and the power of the GPU. On the monitor end, you can only display resolutions supported by your monitor. Some monitors can be forced into refresh rates not listed. I tried it with my 60 Hz tv and was successful, but it locked me out of the presets so I wasn't able to choose gaming mode.

Sorry, I should have given a bit more info here. I have 2 144Hz monitors now + 1 60Hz. So naturally when I ran them in surround I could only get 60Hz because the lowest one sets the limit. I just wanted to make double sure, no triple sure that I can in fact get 5760x1080@60+ (i.e. at least up to 120Hz) when I have 3 144Hz monitors. I was pretty sure I could. Just wanted to make totally sure before I commit, because I know very little about surround gaming. :)

A chap at Wide Screen Gaming Forum suggested I just use my two 144Hz monitors in surround to test, which I did. And sure enough, I could select from 60 up to 144Hz, so all good. :)

Sorry, I should have given a bit more info here. I have 2 144Hz monitors now + 1 60Hz. So naturally when I ran them in surround I could only get 60Hz because the lowest one sets the limit. I just wanted to make double sure, no triple sure that I can in fact get 5760x1080@60+ (i.e. at least up to 120Hz) when I have 3 144Hz monitors. I was pretty sure I could. Just wanted to make totally sure before I commit, because I know very little about surround gaming. :)

A chap at Wide Screen Gaming Forum suggested I just use my two 144Hz monitors in surround to test, which I did. And sure enough, I could select from 60 up to 144Hz, so all good. :)
The answer is still the same. The monitors can only output refresh rates that they can output. Yes they can go up to 144Hz if that's the maximum of all 3 of your monitors but the steps below that are also determined by your monitors. A monitor might support 60/120/144Hz for example so you can use any of those three. To avoid tearing and stuttering you want to be able to use a refresh rate that you can easily reach most of the time. 144Hz on three monitors and your pc might resemble this:

This-Huge-Liquid-Cooled-Gaming-PC-Costs-20000-3-700x486.jpg

To avoid tearing and stuttering you want to be able to use a refresh rate that you can easily reach most of the time.
Exactly! And with the BENQs motion blur reduction there's another factor: Flickering. That's the main reason I want to use them above 60Hz. Well that and screen brightness. Because with strobing there is a slight reduction in brightness. Anyway, what I discovered is that when at 60Hz there is the same kind of flickering as with old CRTs (actually maybe even slightly worse). But at 65Hz it's much less and at 70Hz it's gone. So my plan is to run triples at 70-75Hz with blur reduction on.

I'm not worried about heat really, especially when running framerates below 100. Also, the GPU fan is very capable. 144 fps (if the GPU can output that) will be a bit hotter. But I will have to measure when that time comes. :) The heat also seems to depend on the game code. Far Cry 3 for example, always made my GPU go extremely hot, whereas other games not so much.

The answer is still the same. The monitors can only output refresh rates that they can output. Yes they can go up to 144Hz if that's the maximum of all 3 of your monitors but the steps below that are also determined by your monitors. A monitor might support 60/120/144Hz for example so you can use any of those three. To avoid tearing and stuttering you want to be able to use a refresh rate that you can easily reach most of the time. 144Hz on three monitors and your pc might resemble this:

This-Huge-Liquid-Cooled-Gaming-PC-Costs-20000-3-700x486.jpg

big_titan-x-pascal-800px.jpg

not necessary. :P

Yeah, I'm planning to also, eventually. Just think I'll wait for CV2 or something. Hopefully with better resolution and FOV. :)

This is what I'm doing too, waiting for the second generation of VR headsets to release. I'm happy to wait for a better image quality/experience/reduced screen door effect.

While I admit the resolution is currently an issue, I don't even notice the "screen door" effect unless I intentionally look for it. After about a minute of driving my brain really thinks I'm in the car, it's a weird/awesome feeling. But even at these resolutions, 90fps on assetto corsa with a full grid at the nurb is just about as much as my overclocked 980ti can muster. While higher res VR may soon be possible, the hardware to run it is still years away.

But even at these resolutions, 90fps on assetto corsa with a full grid at the nurb is just about as much as my overclocked 980ti can muster. While higher res VR may soon be possible, the hardware to run it is still years away.

Hmm, how sure are you about that? ;)

How about an average of over 100fps at 4K with most settings maxed? All you need to do is turn off post processing and change "Reflection rendering frequency" to "High", and voila!

Untitled_zpsewl8corn.png

Last edited:
Hmm, how sure are you about that? ;)

How about an average of over 100fps at 4K with most settings maxed? All you need to do is turn off post processing and change "Reflection rendering frequency" to "High", and voila!

Untitled_zpsewl8corn.png

Yea I get similar results. I can play this game in 4k no problem, VR is another animal altogether. Not only am I rendering each eye independently, I'm also running at twice the pixel density (Kind of like Nvidia DSR) while also rendering on my monitor as well with PP enabled. Not to mention all while tracking motion in real time.

Project cars literally melts my gpu :(

Today I'm seeing a few retailers selling 1080P, 2ms, 60mhz gaming monitors for sale @US$99. for Black Friday Sales. Anyone having satisfactory results running 3 x 60mhz monitors for triple screens? :dunce:

Cheers:tup:

Today I'm seeing a few retailers selling 1080P, 2ms, 60mhz gaming monitors for sale @US$99. for Black Friday Sales. Anyone having satisfactory results running 3 x 60mhz monitors for triple screens? :dunce:

Its what the vast majority of people use. I and many others have no issues at all.

I recently got three BenQ 27" monitors with those exact specs and love them. Not as good as 120+hz monitors obviously but I'm very pleased with them.

I'm running three Benq 27"s too. Simply awesome! I only use them for AC though, as that's one of very few games that renders 3 screens properly.

Last edited:
I just got a GTX 1060 and even on my old system this game run great on a single monitor.

full.jpg

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 (GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD)
GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard
Intel Core i7-3770K
16GB RAM DDR3

On my preferred settings I'm getting over 180FPS on average.

Back