PC Hardware | video settings | benchmarksPC 

• Thread starter Whitestar
  • 385 comments
Alright guys, I think the time has finally come for me to upgrade my desktop. I've really been struggling to play some newer games (Battlefront, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, and even iRacing at times) and I just have a few questions to make sure about before doing the purchasing.

Current Build:
- i7 3770k 3.5Ghz (Boost to 3.9Ghz)
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Motherboard
- 16GB Memory (4 x 4GB)
- Samsung 128GB Solid State and Seagate 2TB HDD
- MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB
- Corsair 750 Watt Gold Rated PSU
- Asus VG248QE 1ms and 144Hz Monitor

I'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card while at the same time upgrading to a triple screen setup. The triple screen setup would primarily be for iRacing only. Might move into Assetto Corsa if my computer is capable of handling it. Here's the upgrades that I am thinking of getting.

Upgraded Build:
- 16GB Memory (4 x 4GB)
- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB
- Asus VG248QE 1ms and 144Hz Monitor (Center)
- Asus VE247H 2ms and 76Hz Monitors (Left & Right)

1. Will this graphics card be able to run iRacing on high settings at or above 60fps? Or should I look into a 980 Ti. SLI is unfortunately out of question as my other PCI port is damaged, although I'll check again to make sure.
  2. The Maximum Digital Resolution of this card is 4096 x 2160. Does this mean that I will not be able to utilize all of the resolution on my 3 screens?
  3. The graphics card has 3x Display Port, 1x Dual Link DVI, and 1x HDMI ports. I currently run my monitor using a Display port cable. The two new monitors have only 1x HDMI, 1x VGA-16 pin and 1x DVI (Does not specify if Dual Link). Will I be able to run with my center screen continuing on Display Port, then my left screen on an HDMI and my right screen on the DVI cables?
  4. Will my PSU be able to handle the graphics card? When I place all of the parts from my build into PC part picker, the watt usage comes out to being 360 Watts, which is plenty for my 750 Watt supply. But, when I did some research on the graphics card, EVGA posts on their website (Power Supply Requirements = 500 Watt Power Supply). Does this mean that I would need 500 Watts plus whatever else is in my computer? Or does this mean that a PSU above 500 Watts, regardless of everything else in the computer, will be enough.

I'm far from an expert (what's the opposite of expert?) but I think you'll be good. I have a GTX 970 with an i5 processor and I can run all sims on three screens at fairly high settings with rock solid 60fps (granted my screens are only 720p/60hz). I would think you'll be fine with the monitor connections, though I did need to buy a DVI-to-HDMI adapter for one of mine (my screens only have HDMI inputs). I have a 600w power supply and that's plenty. I would think you'd be able to utilize all the resolution on your three screens.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

general tip others have probably already offered, but I'll emphasize... use DSR (Dynamic super resolution) if you have nVidia, VSR if you have AMD. Not sure entirely, but I think that nVidia's is far superior in terms of efficiency.

Don't mistake DSR with "Custom Resolutions" within nVidia Control Panel. Instead, look at the "Manage 3D Settings" page and "Global" tab to make sure you have DSR turned on (check any or all) and I would keep smoothing at the default 33% (more makes rounded objects have weird shapes...

This is the BEST method of Anti-Aliasing (AA) any game could offer. And the impact to framerates seems to be smaller than using the game's MSAA itself. Keep in mind that you do not need to go up to 1440 from 1080, but could just go up one level to the 1150 or whatever it is... Any time there are more pixels rendered than available on your screen, it anti-aliases to get the two to work together. And in that process you get better AA than any other technique.

So, if you are not happy with AC and its jaggies, try this. Good luck

1. Yes. I can run iRacing at full details at 5760x1080 resolution and be above 60fps, on a a GTX780.

2. I believe that is per output. You will only be going 1920x1080 per output, but have 3 active outputs.

3. I've used Hdmi to connect one of my screens before and I was having troubles with it. I would buy 3x Display Port to DVI cables and connect them all that way.

4. Your power supply will be more than enough. When Gpu manufacturers say they require a 500w power supply they are assuming based on the average PC setup. Your 750 will be plenty - I have a 600w power supply and my card has the same power rating as the 980. I'm also running a CPU water cooler and a second sound card for Simvibe. No issues.

I was thinking of upgrading to a 980 so I can bump some settings up in AC - I am able to run triples in AC no problem at all at above 60fps, I just need to turn a couple of settings to med - high instead of ultra. Still looks great, mind. Same with Project Cars. I think with a 980 you'd get close to being able to crank it up to ultra and still get 60fps.

I have no personal experience with the issue but you may want to look into getting the GTX980ti if you can afford it, the common consensus seems to be that the 980ti has much better bang for the buck.
@Kamuifanboy
I'd have to agree with this. The 980 doesn't offer much better performance than the 970, so for me I'd be looking at whether to go for a 970 or a 980Ti, the 980 would not even be in the picture. The 980Ti also opens up the real possibility of 4k gaming and would be better suited to an Oculus Rift setup of that's something you're thinking of.

@Kamuifanboy
I'd have to agree with this. The 980 doesn't offer much better performance than the 970, so for me I'd be looking at whether to go for a 970 or a 980Ti, the 980 would not even be in the picture. The 980Ti also opens up the real possibility of 4k gaming and would be better suited to an Oculus Rift setup of that's something you're thinking of.

On the flip side of that, the 960 is more than capable of running racing sims on three screens very well so if you're looking to save a bit of coin don't hesitate to consider the 960.

Well, I've just messed around with my computer and both of my PCI slots seem to be functioning properly. Is the 980Ti really that much better? $700 for a graphics card is a lot of money. What about running 2 4GB 960's or 2 970's?

Well, I've just messed around with my computer and both of my PCI slots seem to be functioning properly. Is the 980Ti really that much better? $700 for a graphics card is a lot of money. What about running 2 4GB 960's or 2 970's?

I'd say start with one 960 and see how it performs, I'd guess it would do pretty well. If it's not good enough, add a second one at some point. Unless you've got unlimited funds, then go for the gusto!

EDIT: disregard this information.

Last edited:
On the flip side of that, the 960 is more than capable of running racing sims on three screens very well so if you're looking to save a bit of coin don't hesitate to consider the 960.
The only way that you can run triples on a 960 is with extremely low settings and at 720p. There's no way you can run triple screens with any kind of decent settings at 1080p with a 960. About SLI, IIRC Oculus doesn't work with SLI but I could be wrong. I'd definitely check that if Oculus is a possibility

The only way that you can run triples on a 960 is with extremely low settings and at 720p. There's no way you can run triple screens with any kind of decent settings at 1080p with a 960. About SLI, IIRC Oculus doesn't work with SLI but I could be wrong. I'd definitely check that if Oculus is a possibility

Oh. I run my triples at nearly full settings at 768p so I figured it would do at least medium at 1080 on triples. I guess that's what I get for thinking. :P

Edit: No you don't, jackass, you have a 970. :rolleyes: :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Oh. I run my triples at nearly full settings at 768p so I figured it would do at least medium at 1080 on triples. I guess that's what I get for thinking. :P

But you have a 970, not a 960.

What about running 2 4GB 960's or 2 970's?
Unless something has changed recently than Iracing doesn't play well with SLI. AC runs much better than Iracing as well. If you are getting good fps in Iracing youll be ok in AC. I have an I7 2600 16gb ram and GTX 970 and would say in Iracing I run med/high settings and in AC high. AC needs less fps to run smooth than Iracing does.

Ok, so you guys have talked me into getting a 980 Ti. Might as well go with the watercooled "Hybrid" option and have a nice and cool card. Should help performance and card life right?

Ok, so you guys have talked me into getting a 980 Ti.

I don't think you'll regret it, the extra VRAM alone is already being justified in newer titles, and you have literally the same power as the fastest GPU on the market for a much more reasonable price. I would recommend the cheapest Ti over any superclocked standard 980.

As for your power consumption worries, you'll be fine. My PSU is 700W and 4-5 years old, my first gen i7 is incredibly power hungry, I have 6 HDDs, 5 system fans, lights, a 980Ti and everything is heavily overclocked. No problems here.

So, I've read around that Nvidia Surround can sometimes have some issues with different refresh rate monitors and cable adapters. So, I think I'll just get 2 VG248QE monitors to go with the one that I currently have, and have them all connected by Display Port cables. That should make there be absolutely no possibility of errors right?

So, I've read around that Nvidia Surround can sometimes have some issues with different refresh rate monitors and cable adapters. So, I think I'll just get 2 VG248QE monitors to go with the one that I currently have, and have them all connected by Display Port cables. That should make there be absolutely no possibility of errors right?
tumblr_inline_mjtx16NkJM1qz4rgp.gif

sorry...can't resist:scared:

Hey guys, so I've got everything setup. It is definitely working because I got it setup immediately with iRacing (Runs it without even breaking a sweat. Max settings, 144fps, and only using 60% maximum of my card). With Assetto Corsa, I'm running into some trouble. iRacing has their own bezel compensation program built into their sim. I can't really seem to find the same thing for Assetto Corsa, and it's causing me to have some uneven connections between my screens. Is there anything I can do to fix that?

Hey guys, so I've got everything setup. It is definitely working because I got it setup immediately with iRacing (Runs it without even breaking a sweat. Max settings, 144fps, and only using 60% maximum of my card). With Assetto Corsa, I'm running into some trouble. iRacing has their own bezel compensation program built into their sim. I can't really seem to find the same thing for Assetto Corsa, and it's causing me to have some uneven connections between my screens. Is there anything I can do to fix that?
Yeah mate, in display settings menu you select Triple Screen Rendering and your resolution. Then, ingame, you drag your mouse over to the right edge and bring out the menu, there will be a little icon with 3 screens on it. This is the triple screen display options. From there you can adjust your distance from the monitors, angle of the monitors and of course your bezel width. It adjusts in real time so you can see the difference each setting makes, too, which is very handy.

So, I thought I'd let you guys know how everything is going. @Punknoodle also asked directly.

Setup:
- 16GB Memory (4 x 4GB)
- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Hybrid 6GB
- 3x Asus VG248QE 1ms and 144Hz Monitor

Running these settings;
- 5760 x 1080 Resolution
- 144FPS Framelimit
- 16x Anisotropic Filtering
- 2x Anti-Aliasing Samples
- Maximum World Detail
- Ultra Shadow Resolution
- High Smoke Generation
- Show smoke in mirrors (checked)
- Natural Mod Post-Processing Effects
- High Mirror Resolution
- High Reflection Quality
- Medium Reflection Rendering Frequency

Hotlapping, I was getting 90fps average. MSI afterburner was indicating that the card is running at 99% usage, but is never going over 44 degrees Celsius. I'll mess around with racing against the AI tomorrow to see what kind of graphics it will be able to hold with other cars on track.

So, I thought I'd let you guys know how everything is going. @Punknoodle also asked directly.

Setup:
- 16GB Memory (4 x 4GB)

Running these settings;
- 5760 x 1080 Resolution
- 144FPS Framelimit
- Maximum World Detail
- High Smoke Generation
- High Mirror Resolution

Hotlapping, I was getting 90fps average. MSI afterburner was indicating that the card is running at 99% usage, but is never going over 44 degrees Celsius. I'll mess around with racing against the AI tomorrow to see what kind of graphics it will be able to hold with other cars on track.
That's pretty decent. How do you find the higher Hz monitors? I had a mate who raved about them for first person shooter gaming, said that the higher refresh rate made everything so much more fluid and realistic. I really wanted to stretch to getting 3x G-Sync monitors but it's very expensive when I haven't actually seen the benefits in person.

What are your GPU's core and memory clock speeds while gaming? If you haven't overclocked that beast yet, then overclock that beast! Your can bump your frame rate up by a significant amount if you're currently running stock clocks.

Setup:
- 16GB Memory (4 x 4GB)

Running these settings;
- 5760 x 1080 Resolution
- 144FPS Framelimit
- Maximum World Detail
- High Smoke Generation
- High Mirror Resolution

You can uncheck smoke in mirrors and set smoke gen. to low and you will see no visual difference, but gains some fps. You will still see smoke in your mirrors and the smoke quality wont change.

You guys might find some of the info in this post rather interesting

That's pretty decent. How do you find the higher Hz monitors? I had a mate who raved about them for first person shooter gaming, said that the higher refresh rate made everything so much more fluid and realistic. I really wanted to stretch to getting 3x G-Sync monitors but it's very expensive when I haven't actually seen the benefits in person.

I also was reluctant to get G-Sync screens as I have not seen the benefits in person. I mostly play racing simulators, with the occasional play of GTA V, Battlefront or Battlefield. For the FPS titles, you may notice a difference with the G-Sync monitors, but for racing simulators I think you wouldn't really notice it. You're driving fast, so things will look blurred either way. I could be completely wrong, but this is just my theory. For my screens? I honestly can't tell a huge difference above 60fps in game, so I don't believe they're all that much better than something that would be 60-90Hz.

What are your GPU's core and memory clock speeds while gaming? If you haven't overclocked that beast yet, then overclock that beast! Your can bump your frame rate up by a significant amount if you're currently running stock clocks.

I was running stock clocks, and have just done a test with a recommended overclock setting from a website, and there honestly wasn't a huge amount of benefit. The frame rate went from 90fps to 100fps and the frame time went from 10-12ms to 8-10ms. It's highly likely that I'm overclocking incorrectly as the game has crashed a few times whilst overclocking. The settings I was using were as follows;
Power Target 105%
GPU Clock Offset +160MHz
Memory Clock Offset +500Mhz

You can uncheck smoke in mirrors and set smoke gen. to low and you will see no visual difference, but gains some fps. You will still see smoke in your mirrors and the smoke quality wont change.

Ive just done that and have noticed a very slight increase in fps. Maybe 3-5 on average. Will definitely help, and you're right, there is no real gains.

Last edited:
Curious to see how it performs in Project Cars. Currently that is the only game that brings my 980TI to its knees. Maxed out I'm only getting 40ish FPS running at 5920x1080. When it rains with a full grid it dips to the 30's :eek:

The benefits really largely depends on what exactly you're looking for, what you are content with and what your eyes can see - and whether you care. :)

The only visual impact higher hz monitors have is reduced motion blur. But they also for the most part come with less input lag. Those combined will make for a more "fluid" experience.

Did you enjoy the smoothness of the old CRT monitors? Were you annoyed by the motion blur when switching from CRT to an LCD monitor? If so, then a Benq monitor with Benq Blur Reduction (BBR) could be the thing for you. Look at models XL2411Z, XL2430T or XL2720Z. On these you can activate BBR at any refresh rate from 60 up to 144hz. And it becomes as smooth and motion blur free as your old CRT monitor. I'm not even kidding - it's that smooth! Think you have seen smooth 60fps videos on YouTube before? You have no idea! As an added bonus you can even hook up game consoles to it via HDMI and get the same smoothness there. That's CRT-clarity 60fps at 60Hz with no motion blur!!

Downsides to BBR:
- You need a graphics card that can push the necessary fps to the monitor (fps>hz), because BBR demands v-sync, just like LightBoost does. Which in turn means more input lag than g-sync.
- You get about the same kind of flicker at 60hz as your old CRT. I honestly only notice this on the desktop, never in games. But if you were really bothered by the flicker on the old CRT monitors when playing games, then you should probably avoid using BBR from 60-70hz. From 70-75hz the flicker is much less, and from 75-80hz and up it's virtually non-existent.
- Slightly reduced brightness. Not an issue for me as I always turn the brightness down anyway. It's insanely high by default on these monitors.
- Slightly affected colors. This was an issue with Lightboost, but I can't really say I notice it with BBR.

Then there is g-sync/freesync. It eliminates different kinds of stutter to provide for smooth and fluid gaming. Please note that g-sync/freesync does nothing to reduce motion blur, which means that you'll get varying degrees of motion blur depending on what the framerate/hz is at any given time. But the upside is that the gaming experience will feel smooth as far down as 30 fps/hz (theoretically - in reviews I have read 40+), and input lag will be low.

Most g-sync monitors come with a blur reduction technology also - in a similar fashion to BBR - called ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), but unfortunately you will have to choose between ULMB mode and g-sync. They cannot be combined. Also, ULMB only works at 85hz, 100hz and 120hz on some monitors, on others only at 85hz and 100hz.

Also worth noting: Even on non-g-sync/freesync monitors; If you are using v-sync and your fps is always higher than the monitor refresh rate, you will have perfect smoothness (maybe rare stutters in some games), albeit with some input lag, depending on the refresh rate.

So there it is in a nutshell, although maybe a bit oversimplified for the sake of decision making. :)
Want stutter free gaming, low input lag, and don't really mind a little motion blur? Go g-sync/freesync. The monitor will be expensive, but you won't need such a high performance video card.
Want silky smooth motion, and don't really mind a little input lag? Go BBR. The monitor will be cheaper, but you will need a video card with higher performance (if you want v-sync at high hz).

Of course, since all eyes are different, chances are you won't notice much difference with any of the above technologies. In which case your money will be better spent elsewhere. :)

Last edited:
The benefits really largely depends on what exactly you're looking for, what you are content with and what your eyes can see - and whether you care. :)

The only visual impact higher hz monitors have is reduced motion blur. But they also for the most part come with less input lag. Those combined will make for a more "fluid" experience.

Did you enjoy the smoothness of the old CRT monitors? Were you annoyed by the motion blur when switching from CRT to an LCD monitor? If so, then a Benq monitor with Benq Blur Reduction (BBR) could be the thing for you. Look at models XL2411Z, XL2430T or XL2720Z. On these you can activate BBR at any refresh rate from 60 up to 144hz. And it becomes as smooth and motion blur free as your old CRT monitor. I'm not even kidding - it's that smooth! Think you have seen smooth 60fps videos on YouTube before? You have no idea! As an added bonus you can even hook up game consoles to it via HDMI and get the same smoothness there. That's CRT-clarity 60fps at 60Hz with no motion blur!!

Downsides to BBR:
- You need a graphics card that can push the necessary fps to the monitor (fps>hz), because BBR demands v-sync, just like LightBoost does. Which in turn means more input lag than g-sync.
- You get about the same kind of flicker at 60hz as your old CRT. I honestly only notice this on the desktop, never in games. But if you were really bothered by the flicker on the old CRT monitors when playing games, then you should probably avoid using BBR from 60-70hz. From 70-75hz the flicker is much less, and from 75-80hz and up it's virtually non-existent.
- Slightly reduced brightness. Not an issue for me as I always turn the brightness down anyway. It's insanely high by default on these monitors.
- Slightly affected colors. This was an issue with Lightboost, but I can't really say I notice it with BBR.

Then there is g-sync/freesync. It eliminates different kinds of stutter to provide for smooth and fluid gaming. Please note that g-sync/freesync does nothing to reduce motion blur, which means that you'll get varying degrees of motion blur depending on what the framerate/hz is at any given time. But the upside is that the gaming experience will feel smooth as far down as 30 fps/hz (theoretically - in reviews I have read 40+), and input lag will be low.

Most g-sync monitors come with a blur reduction technology also - in a similar fashion to BBR - called ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), but unfortunately you will have to choose between ULMB mode and g-sync. They cannot be combined. Also, ULMB only works at 85hz, 100hz and 120hz on some monitors, on others only at 85hz and 100hz.

Also worth noting: Even on non-g-sync/freesync monitors; If you are using v-sync and your fps is always higher than the monitor refresh rate, you will have perfect smoothness (maybe rare stutters in some games), albeit with some input lag, depending on the refresh rate.

So there it is in a nutshell, although maybe a bit oversimplified for the sake of decision making. :)
Want stutter free gaming, low input lag, and don't really mind a little motion blur? Go g-sync/freesync. The monitor will be expensive, but you won't need such a high performance video card.
Want silky smooth motion, and don't really mind a little input lag? Go BBR. The monitor will be cheaper, but you will need a video card with higher performance (if you want v-sync at high hz).

Of course, since all eyes are different, chances are you won't notice much difference with any of the above techonologies. In which case your money will be better spent elsewhere. :)
Thank you for the thorough reply! I basically just want no studdering or screen tears and as less lag as possible - the reason I don't use Vsync. Sounds like GSync would be quite good to have. If I only had to buy the 1 screen I'd probably do it, but it gets a lot more expensive purchasing 3 of them.

Not at all urgent, to be honest I'm very happy with my current set up, it's pretty damn smooth.

Back