Playstation 3 System Update Thread

Damn I'm slow. I just found the rather cool new visualisation when playing music. It's of "flyby's" of the Earth from space, including eclipses, close approaches etc. Really nice!đź‘Ť

Edit: Actually I like it so much I'm going to email SCEE and say how much I like it and if it could be developed by adding other planets like Mars, Jupiter etc. Imagine travelling through the Solar System, planet to planet! Brings out the astronmy buff in me.

Damn I'm slow. I just found the rather cool new visualisation when playing music. It's of "flyby's" of the Earth from space, including eclipses, close approaches etc. Really nice!đź‘Ť

Edit: Actually I like it so much I'm going to email SCEE and say how much I like it and if it could be developed by adding other planets like Mars, Jupiter etc. Imagine travelling through the Solar System, planet to planet! Brings out the astronmy buff in me.

I also discovered this a few nights ago and its really beautiful, its also used when you select the time zone in you clock settings.

When the sun skims the surface it reflects more on the sea than on land because of the water and it looks so 3D that the cloud appear to be floating and moving! You can also see built up areas. Its actually a NASA photo (says in the about system credits).

My only moan about it is that it only changes the fly past when you change song, I wish it would do it like 3 times a song because it get an awkward angle one it doesn't look the good and its on for ages.

Other planets would be amazing!

Having it as the background in the XMB would also be sweet!

Robin

I think he means to actually have the visualization moving as the background.

Yeah thats what I meant.

Can you have a moving background?

Yes since the 2.0 update you can have animated backgrounds... the official Sony theme 'air plant' has moving / changing swirls images on the background.

How you personally make them I have no idea!

Robin

Yes since the 2.0 update you can have animated backgrounds... the official Sony theme 'air plant' has moving / changing swirls images on the background.

Robin

I had no idea of this! the I'm assuming you mean air paint though?

Yeah thats what I meant.

Robin

Seriously? Awesome!
I think I might have that GIF of hitler bouncing in a '61 Impala somewhere....For jokes only...

*EDIT
Erm I have air paint installed but no moving backgrounds, I have firmware 2.10 installed as well.

I had no idea of this! the I'm assuming you mean air paint though?

oops my bad :sly: yeah air paint... its a really nice theme.

It must just be a simple gif cut to the right screen size but as of yet I haven't seen any user created themes which have dynamic backgrounds....

ND4SPD
Erm I have air paint installed but no moving backgrounds, I have firmware 2.10 installed as well.

The background behind the XMB should change pictures about every 15 seconds??? I don't know why its not working?? have you enabled the themes background and disabled the normal wavy thing?

Robin

oops my bad :sly: yeah air paint... its a really nice theme.

It must just be a simple gif cut to the right screen size but as of yet I haven't seen any user created themes which have dynamic backgrounds....

The background behind the XMB should change pictures about every 15 seconds??? I don't know why its not working?? have you enabled the themes background and disabled the normal wavy thing?

Robin
I still get nothing, odd.

It may just automatically cycle through the pics the theme marked for background use. It's not actually an animated background.

I had air paint selected for a little while when it was first available and I never noticed any changes, but it was sometimes a different image when I selected another theme and went back to air paint.

As far as giving us that visualization as a background, Sony could do it because the default background is dynamic.

Excuse me, but what firmware update includes this? I still have 1.94. Thanks.

Excuse me, but what firmware update includes this? I still have 1.94. Thanks.
Do you not do online games or check out the PS Store? I do online stuff that requires the most up-to-date firmware so often that it is impossible for me to not know when it happens.

Do you not do online games or check out the PS Store? I do online stuff that requires the most up-to-date firmware so often that it is impossible for me to not know when it happens.

I do not have access to broadband where I live (out in the sticks). I must instead update at my aunt's house or from PS3 game BD's. It stinks.

Update 2.17 has just been released :)

I was hoping for in game XMB or maybe Home Beta but alas it seems to be just a tweak... I don't exactly know what it was supposed it do but it did take quite a while to DL, at least things are happening I guess! :sly:

Supposedly its for "improving system operation"... its probably just setting things up for larger updates that are coming...

Gosh its been a busy week, Home info coming in the next few days, Motorstorm 2 Trailer released! Sony are really trying to keep our attention in Spring!

Robin

I don't exactly know what it was supposed it do but it did take quite a while to DL
I thought it went fairly quickly. I barely had time to take the white clothes out of the dryer and put the jeans in before it's asking me to restart. :lol:

TB
I thought it went fairly quickly. I barely had time to take the white clothes out of the dryer and put the jeans in before it's asking me to restart. :lol:

:lol: Must have been my slow connection :sly:, probably would have gone faster downloading from the web and transfer it to PS3 but I don't want to wait a couple of days till its available.

This update got me really exited because I thought... oh yes its finally here!!! but sony stole my dreams... and crushed them...:indiff:

Robin

Well I guess I better update mine when I get home. Sony didn't release anything saying what it was? I find that strange.

It's apparently a media server fix (fixes problems with WMP and PS3) & to improve upon online gaming stability.

Well I guess I better update mine when I get home. Sony didn't release anything saying what it was? I find that strange.
No, they usually include update notes that list what the update did, but nothing.

It's apparently a media server fix (fixes problems with WMP and PS3) & to improve upon online gaming stability.
Meh. I switched to Nero a while back.

I was hoping it would address the Remote Play lag and the freezing issues the Internet Browser seems to have developed after 2.1.

Being just 2.17 I knew it wouldn't do anything big, so I was hoping these few things would be fixed.

You know, that might be it, it makes sense that instead of one Huge update, build it up with smaller ones released closer together (Weeks), also, Sony did say that they wanted to create bigger firmware updates, but less frequently, and to be honest, this isn't a big update unless you want to run a media server off of your PC.

From,
Chris.

Maybe this is some kind of pre-update. I think we're looking into a wave of updates for a few weeks now :)
That would make sense considering it is 2.4 that we will be getting the Blu-Ray 2.0 update in.

So what's between 2.1 and 2.4?

Granted they can have their 2.2 and 2.3 builds all ready and just bundled into 2.4 at once, or 2.2 and 2.3 were dropped for various reasons.

Although, I wonder if thsi means that it won't take the PS3 10 minutes to recognize WMP's media server sometimes, and occasionally drops. When I switched servers I noticed a definite decrease in recognition time and haven't had any network errors.

I suspect (seeing as the build numbers dont really ever follow a set pattern) that 2.4 will be Blu Ray 2.0 and In game XMB and then 2.5 will be the major Home update...

Well, thats my prediction.. :sly:

Back