Playstation 3 System Update Thread

I suspect (seeing as the build numbers dont really ever follow a set pattern) that 2.4 will be Blu Ray 2.0 and In game XMB and then 2.5 will be the major Home update...

Well, thats my prediction.. :sly:
I'm just going to throw this out in hopes of preventing disappointments.

All Sony has officially promised in 2.4 is Blu-Ray 2.4 and in-game communications. Not In-game XMB. I am not sure what communications means, but some people think it means that you can do messaging and voice chat from your friends list without completely exiting the game.

I am not holding out hope for anything more until they say so.

A quick question - can I download the new update from somewhere onto a USB stick and install it on my PS3 (which is currently offline), or is that not possible/recommended?

I see the latest update has a couple of tweaks - a new visual for the music player, and a voice changer for online chat... I'm more concerned about not being able to play GT5: Prologue without the 2.17 update... (I will be able to update online, but it means physically bringing my PS3 into work, which is a pain in the bahooky)

A quick question - can I download the new update from somewhere onto a USB stick and install it on my PS3 (which is currently offline), or is that not possible/recommended?
Yes.
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/SystemUpdate/pc_update.html#update_PC

That is the US site so you may wantto go to the EU playstation site to get theirs. Just go to the online PS3 User Manual and click on the System Update link in the chapter/section menu. It will have the link for the PC download at the bottom where it discusse ways to update your firmware.

I'm more concerned about not being able to play GT5: Prologue without the 2.17 update... (I will be able to update online, but it means physically bringing my PS3 into work, which is a pain in the bahooky)
They should just include it on the disc, like PSP titles do. The only thing I can figure is that it came out too late and dics were already printed.

So do you not have an Internet connection at home?

Thanks FK 👍

I haven't had internet at home for some months, since I'm renting my friend's flat short-term - although I move into my swanky new pad in 2 weeks, and will be online (hopefully) in early April.

I don't play much online anyway, but miss the demos and the patches - I have Motorstorm and COD:4, and know that there is new stuff available for them (or was available, anyway)...

New update is on its way in the next few days according to the the playstation blog, while no in-game XMB or Home integration is included I have to say for anyone who also uses the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player its a good one.

The PS3 is about to become the worlds first Profile 2.0 Blu-Ray player.

Hi again everyone. Here’s a quick preview of the next PLAYSTATION 3 system software update coming up in the next few days. Firmware v2.20, introduces a number of features to further enhance your PLAYSTATION 3 as the hub of your entertainment center.

Most notably, the update enables the PS3 to support Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0, also known as BD-Live. You can connect now to the Internet while playing discs that support BD-Live to obtain additional content and special features. These features vary from disc to disc, and will keep your BD discs fresh with new content and in some cases exclusive content only accessible to owners of BD-Live enabled discs. On April 8th Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release The 6th Day and Walk Hard on Blu-ray; these titles will be among the first to take advantage of BD-Live. With this update, the PLAYSTATION 3 becomes the first Blu-ray player on the market with BD-Live functionality.

Here are some of the other new features/enhancements that will be included in Firmware v2.20:

The ability to copy PS3 Music and Photo playlists to a PSP system. We introduced the ability to create Music and Photo playlists on the PS3 in firmware update v2.0. Now you can easily export your playlists to your PSP.

You can now play DivX and WMV format files that are over 2 GB.

Resume Play - begin playing a DVD or BD disc from the point where you previously stopped it, even if you eject the disc and insert a different movie or game.

Use your PSP as a remote control to play back your music files on your PS3 without turning on your TV. The Internet browser now displays some web pages faster.

In addition [Save Target] has been added as an option under file. This option lets you save a file that is linked to a web page to your PS3 hard drive or storage media.

There are a few other tweaks and upgrades included in v2.20 - we’ll provide more specifics as the update is about to go live.
Source - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/20/firmware-v220-bringing-bd-live-to-ps3/

Makes me happy anyway.

BTW - I have also stickied this thread as its a handy one and keeps falling down the page lists.

Regards

Scaff

Thanks for the update :)👍 Sounds good but wheres the in game XMB!!!... seems like they are focusing on everything other than the gaming elements of the system!

Scaff, could you also sticky the PS3 general discussion thread if you don't mind because that really should also be stickied to stop it dropping down the list..

Robin

Wow, I'll be missing two updates now...

But it indeed good news, Scaff. (also, great call on stick this thread to the top of the page)
Some of the additional features do come in handy.

Though I'll have to agree with Robin about the lack of additional features for gaming purposes.

I'm looking forward to being able to use the PSP as somewhat of a remote for music :D.

Does anyone else think that they (SCE) should put somewhat of an alarm clock thing to the PS3/PSP? Along with being able to see the clock on the XMB?

From,
Chris.

I'm looking forward to being able to use the PSP as somewhat of a remote for music :D.

Does anyone else think that they (SCE) should put somewhat of an alarm clock thing to the PS3/PSP? Along with being able to see the clock on the XMB?

From,
Chris.

Yes, it would at least be nice to get the clock when you hit the PS button as well during a game

Yeah, the PS2 had a rather nice modern clock although I could never really tell the time from it! I think the PS3 should have the same, something really flashy!

Like this?

spiralclock551f44no6.jpg

I do not remember this?
It would have been easier for me to sneak into my sons room, dig the PS2 out of the closet, hook it up, turn it on, take a picture, resize it, upload it and post it. Even after all that, this is the best I could quickly find.

BIOS19.jpg

Blu-ray 2.0 plus more and better media sharing between the PS3 and PSP, and the ability to view divx files greater than 2 GB in size. Perhaps another thing but it slips my mind at the moment...

Anyone know what it includes?
This one actually includes a changelog.

Blu-ray 2.0 plus more and better media sharing between the PS3 and PSP, and the ability to view divx files greater than 2 GB in size. Perhaps another thing but it slips my mind at the moment...
That is all the changelog says, but there is always something else hidden in there.

Oh wait, it also has a BD/DVD memory so if you switch out discs mid-movie and put it back in it will start you back where you left off. I have no clue how many discs it will keep a memory for. With the HDD it could probably do a lot as I have seen standalone DVD players do up to five.

Downloaded and installed 2.20 this morning. I just played GT4 and with firmware 2.20 it has a lot of slowdowns, even in the car presentation where you buy the cars it's lagging :( :ouch: , anyone has got the same problem? I own a 60GB PAL PS3.
I played GT4 before (yesterday) without any issues...

Wow thats quite a hefty update... 121.8MB seems quite a lot just some functional changes and Blu Ray 2.0 don't you think?

I tried doing it direct from my PS3 but it didn't move past 0% for ages for some reason, Im downloading right now using the PC and it still says it will take quite a while...

I think the servers are really busy at the moment...

Robin

I'm at 30% right now, although it is a good update I dont see myself using BD-Live very often if at all after the first time I try it.

Wow thats quite a hefty update... 121.8MB seems quite a lot just some functional changes and Blu Ray 2.0 don't you think?

Robin

Some may remember that my original 60GB PS3 would no longer read PS3 games or Blu-ray movies. After a mix-up by UPS since I live in the same city where Sony's repair facility is situated in South Texas, I received a brand-new 60GB from Sony on March 18, 2008.

I downloaded Firmware Update 2.20 to the UPDATE folder of my 4GB USB device this morning. I simply replaced the previous one, FW 2.17, with this one. Here are the stats for both:

FW2.17 PSP3UPDAT.dat 03/18/2008 122,462 kb
FW2.20 PSP3UPDAT.dat 03/25/2008 124,737 kb

I really think these new updates probably include all previous data, plus some new additions.

Installed the new system update last night. 👍

Oh, and that's a great clock, Beerz. I want one on my wall.

;)

It looks like the update has messed up my ps3 :(

I can get to the logon screen but as soon as I log into a user, the desktop appears but the controller is unable to function within it.

Any Ideas?

I can get to the logon screen but as soon as I log into a user, the desktop appears but the controller is unable to function within it.

Any Ideas?
Is it plugged in? You may need to plug it into the USB cable and reregister it?

Try another controller?

Any Ideas?

No, at least not good ones!

That's no good. Maybe I'll wait to update, was going to do it now. My PAL Prologue won't be here until sometime next week anyway.

Sphinx - Have you killed the power with the switch on the back? I seem to remember I had to completely turn mine off after the last update.

TB
Sphinx - Have you killed the power with the switch on the back? I seem to remember I had to completely turn mine off after the last update.

Yes, I've tried that :(

It appears that it's the controller that can't function (apart from press and hold the PS button to bring up the switch off controller or system options) and the desktop is fine. It even signs me in OK.

This all I can do. I can press and hold the PS button to either turn off the controller or system, I can take out the COD4 disc and and have the small blue disc icon appear when I put it back in again. I can't however, scroll left or right, up or down, nor open folders with the X button.

Also, what is that spinning icon in the top right of the screen?

If I have no functionality to backup or re-format the HDD within the OS. is it OK to re-format the HDD externally and then simply place it back into the ps3?

Back