Playstation 3 System Update Thread

You see you act like you are an inside member at Sony and getting all of this information before hand. Also when you do post information like:

If you are getting your information from a particular site why not just post the link? Some members my not have been to the site you visit or read the same gaming blogs you do. It also makes your posts more creditable. D-N has consistently provided valid information with sources and citations in his post.

Because I do not get my information from a Web Site. Hopefully that is more than enough for you to understand why I am elusive and brief when I post up information.

Also, to explain those posts.

It was discovered that there was a minor bug with FW 2.4. At the time of my first post, it was not known how major it was, hence the 'soon'. After it had been worked out, it was determined that the FW probably wouldn't even hit this month, though there is still a chance, it is possible it will not hit until July.

I was replying to Nick09 but I think two 16gb might be a better deal even though it's two cards not one.
I was just surprised that I could get better performance than an SD card for cheaper from a proprietary Sony brand. Usually, even when Sony's brand isn't the better tech it is a bit more expensive.

Not like you'll play all 16gb worth of games in one sitting. :dopey:
I was thinking of using it to have my PSP replace my 15GB iPod.

@ FK, you sure got your 4gb stick really cheap. Mine was like 80 euros when i first bought it :eek:. I might be getting the 8gb stick:tup:. I wonder how much those are now?
I got it cheap, but I took a gamble because I went through someone selling it on Amazon in an Amazon retailer store. I generally avoid them because I can't verify their validity, but this one had a great rating and a great deal that I couldn't pass up.

Last I saw the 8GB sticks were in the $70-$80 range.

If you are getting your information from a particular site why not just post the link? Some members my not have been to the site you visit or read the same gaming blogs you do. It also makes your posts more creditable. D-N has consistently provided valid information with sources and citations in his post.
He PM'd me with his explanation, which I will leave him to share if he chooses, but as his info has not proven false I am willing to believe him for now.

This would be a completely different situation if he made claims that all turned out to be untrue.

I was just surprised that I could get better performance than an SD card for cheaper from a proprietary Sony brand. Usually, even when Sony's brand isn't the better tech it is a bit more expensive.

I'm not... I'd take a SD card over a proprietary Sony brand any day because I could use it on more things and it wouldn't be over priced just because it's Sony. It's one thing I've always hated about them.

I was thinking of using it to have my PSP replace my 15GB iPod.

I suppose... I'd rather have an iPod since it's a lot less to lug around and I don't do a lot of portable gaming in one place.

Is this expected in the next update?
Yes, it is supposed to be part of the final Blu-Ray 2.0 thing in the 2.4 firmware update. Although, certain Blu-Rays are already saying "Includes Digital Copy" on them, so I don't know to what degree it can be done now and which are referring to the PSP and which are studio-centric, much like the Fox rumble seat thing.

I'm not... I'd take a SD card over a proprietary Sony brand any day because I could use it on more things and it wouldn't be over priced just because it's Sony. It's one thing I've always hated about them.
My only problem with SD is that the only thing in my house that uses it is my Wii and PS3, and as the Wii won't allow playing VC games from the SD card it is basically useless passive storage because the PS3 has a better media player built in.

I suppose... I'd rather have an iPod since it's a lot less to lug around and I don't do a lot of portable gaming in one place.
PSP = nicer screen (haven't compared to the iPod Touch yet), built-in speakers, multi-out port, Wi-Fi, and PS3 interactivity. Oh, and games. Plus, the filing system doesn't chop file names and is organized in a way that makes sense (as compared to my older iPod, I have no clue how the newer ones organize stuff).

iPod = extremely convenient, portable, everyone seems to have it, can be used as an external hard drive. And it looks like the touch is getting gaming capabilities.

Really, I imagine what will make me do a permanent switch is the GPS attachment for the PSP (still waiting for the US version). At that point I will already have gotten the car mount so it will just be convenient to use it for everything.

http://www.psnhome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1635

Your PS3 is about to get a digital gift in the form of another firmware update. Version 2.36 will improve "system stability when playing select PlayStation format software titles." That is to say, not a lot. Still, the latest PlayStation Blog post has finally confirmed the rumors that another firmware update is on its way at some point. 2.40 will include in-game XMB and trophies. But you already know that.

There's no real timeframe for either of these updates, but you can expect to see v2.36 within the next day or so. As for 2.40, the PS Blog is careful to stress to us that they, and only they, will be the source for when it is coming. You may have heard various rumored release dates for the update which have passed by uneventfully, so that's clearly something to keep in mind. Needless to say v2.40 will get the full video tutorial treatment, as usual. We'll let you know as soon as we're told anything new.

2.36 soon, 2.40 confirmed to have IGXMB.

From,
Chris.

man i hate update day, i always think somthing is going to go wrong
but i suppose its got to be done
just got it of the uk web site @ 400kbs fastest my connection has gone for a long time

2.36 is just to prepare and do some housekeeping before 2.4 arrives, they always do this just before the next major update.

Robin

just supposed to add some system stablity..again
be nice to get a update and see some new features
im yet to find anything new
i think most of these updates are just to close holes hackers have found there was some news the other day this probley fixes it

Downloaded and installed unusually quickly for me. Must have only been about ten minutes, instead of the hour and a half the last one took.

Same for me.

Last night it took less than five minutes to download, and about the same to install.

Mine took a bit longer than that, about 15-20minutes. But I noticed recently that the progress bar only goes to about 55-60% and jumps to 100%. Is this because that last 40% is old system software that hasnt been changed and does not need to be downloaded or is my progress bar a little too pessimistic?

5 & 5 for me.

I'm thinking that the "Improving system stability when playing certain PS format titles" may have something to do with IG-XMB, perhaps moving a little processing power somewhere so you can access the XMB?

From,
Chris.

Mine took a bit longer than that, about 15-20minutes. But I noticed recently that the progress bar only goes to about 55-60% and jumps to 100%. Is this because that last 40% is old system software that hasnt been changed and does not need to be downloaded or is my progress bar a little too pessimistic?
I don't know why either, but the sudden jump from 55%---->100% has also happened on my system for the most recent Firmware updates, including this one.

5 & 5 for me.

I'm thinking that the "Improving system stability when playing certain PS format titles" may have something to do with IG-XMB, perhaps moving a little processing power somewhere so you can access the XMB?

From,
Chris.

This is what I don't get about the PS3..... the damn thing has 8 cores... EIGHT! :crazy: and yet it can't even even play music and access the playstation store at the same time!

It must be the fact that they don't know how to harness the power yet, it should be the most capable multi-tasking machine currently available!

Robin

Back