Playstation 3 System Update Thread

also the in game XMB is obviously the most important! Do you think that will also mean in game custom soundtracks?
That has never been promised by Sony and the way they are tripping over themselves to not say it leads me to believe that they are sticking by their old line for now: It has always been available if a developer wants to add it.

I know Wipeout HD will have it, Super Stardust HD updated to have it, and Pain will be getting an update for it next month. So, it looks like Sony is fixing their own games to include it since there is demand for it.

It is basically up to the developers right now, and I don't think a full in-game XMB will happen soon as Sony just spent production time and money getting their own PSN games to do it. I doubt that would have happened if it was going to be available in a firmware update.

And when it is all said and done Sony will probably be able to look at people complaining and say, "Hey, we did it for our games and anyone can do it. Go yell at EA."

That has never been promised by Sony and the way they are tripping over themselves to not say it leads me to believe that they are sticking by their old line for now: It has always been available if a developer wants to add it.

Yeah, if it really was In-Game XMB with nothing different from the main menu (or close), it would have been said to be, right now everyone is calling it "In-Game XMB Chat", which, IMO doesn't mean custom soundtracks, shame though, as I don't have any games yet that allow them.

From,
Chris.

Yeah, if it really was In-Game XMB with nothing different from the main menu (or close), it would have been said to be, right now everyone is calling it "In-Game XMB Chat", which, IMO doesn't mean custom soundtracks, shame though, as I don't have any games yet that allow them.
I highly suggest Super Stardust HD. You'll thank me later.

Could you not (if you had in game xmb) boot up a song and turn off ingame music... why would the game need to be patched or designed to make custom sound tracks work?.. just play songs from the xmb

Could you not (if you had in game xmb) boot up a song and turn off ingame music... why would the game need to be patched or designed to make custom sound tracks work?.. just play songs from the xmb
Not knowing fully how it works, yes you could. But Sony did it in a different way and made it so that any game could easily access audio files on the HDD without the need to go to the XMB.

So, when Super Stardust HD was updated, it wasn't patched to access the XMB, it had a new function added that accesses the music HDD folder from in-game.

Pain will actually have a built-in music player "Jukebox" that accesses the hard drive.

In neither of these cases is it hitting the PS button to go to the XMB. You have to go to options in Super Stardust to setup your custom music and in Pain it will be a player that can be brought up during the game.

Pain's music player:
image.axd

image.axd

And if they did custom soundtracks via in-game XMB, I would asume that means that the system has to cancel out music tracks, and not voice/effect tracks, and then add its own music. I don't know enough to know if the game has to be designed for it in order for that to happen in any kind of stable way. I have a feeling that if the game isn't designed for a system to do that it might be more difficult than just programming a little code that says stop game music, play user music.

I don't like the achievements because I feel they detract from the gameplay, you spend time trying to complete them instead of doing whatever it is with the game. I've never really cared for them on the 360.

It also creates and air of eliteness because people think that the more points you have the better gamer you are.

I'm with Joey on this... Achievements are just a way for the gamers with no lifes to compare how big their _ _ _ _ is...

Hard drive abbreviated isn't 4 letters. :confused:

And I agree. If we can actually get something out of this besides admiration, I'm all for it. If it's a clout thing, I'll pass.

Can someone tell me why "system stability" needs 125MB!

I wanted to go online then the update hit me, haven't been on in a while.

You know getting updates regularly is a double edged sword..

On the one hand im glad Sony are constantly improving things but on the other such frequent updates are starting to piss me off because when i want to play online I want to do it straight away! often takes 2 hours to update! :scared:

I bet this is to try and solve some of the glitches that Haze has.... its such a shame that game bombed because it had such promise...

Robin

2.35? I think it is because that was the one that snuck in the record and upload to You Tube ability.

Another developer side option that PAIN! may or may not be getting.

2.35? I think it is because that was the one that snuck in the record and upload to You Tube ability.

Another developer side option that PAIN! may or may not be getting.

Yeah I heard about them quietly introducing this feature... whether any other games use it I guess we will have to see..

Robin

Yeah I heard about them quietly introducing this feature... whether any other games use it I guess we will have to see..

Robin
Well, on the Pain blog they mentioned a new version of the replay feature coming in the 2.0 update and someone asked in the comments if they had looked into the You Tube feature. It actually got a response that said they can't comment on it yet, but that the fans "read between the lines pretty well."

That is why I say may or may not, because it wasn't confirmed but heavily hinted at.

I wanted to go online then the update hit me, haven't been on in a while.

You know getting updates regularly is a double edged sword..

On the one hand im glad Sony are constantly improving things but on the other such frequent updates are starting to piss me off because when i want to play online I want to do it straight away! often takes 2 hours to update! :scared:

I bet this is to try and solve some of the glitches that Haze has.... its such a shame that game bombed because it had such promise...

Robin

It is because Sony does not patch their firmware, they completely overwrite it. This is the safest way to prevent system crashing and corrupt firmware installs.

It is because Sony does not patch their firmware, they completely overwrite it. This is the safest way to prevent system crashing and corrupt firmware installs.

yeah but its disastrous if it gets messed up mid flow because then the system has no firmware! :scared:

yeah but its disastrous if it gets messed up mid flow because then the system has no firmware! :scared:

Actually, this is incorrect. If the power goes out during the process, the PS3 will boot and recognize that there is no firmware present, and look for the firmware update files. It will then restart the firmware install.

I seen a picture on the PS forums of a supposed look at the new in game XMB, and you will be all delighted to hear that there is a clock, at last.

I need to revisit that game and play it some more to beat your score.

Did you ever pick up the Solo pack? SO much better.
Nah.

I very nearly did though, but I'm into other games right now so I may not be that dedicated anymore. :(

Good luck on beating my score though. :sly:

Actually, this is incorrect. If the power goes out during the process, the PS3 will boot and recognize that there is no firmware present, and look for the firmware update files. It will then restart the firmware install.
Oh, right. I'll have to tell my Dad that since he's convinced it'll be bricked if the power goes out.

Video of In-game XMB, Trophies, and BioShock: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q84sLg17658

The video also goes out of it's way to prove it's not fake. The conclusion most people reach when the see this is "Oh, he's just playing a video, not playing a game", but in the video he shows that there are no videos accessible on his PS3. The only thing he couldn't exactly prove was that he wasn't just playing a video in the web browser, but there isn't even a web browser icon in the XMB shown.

And there are a few things that add significant believability to the video. The clock in the upper right-hand corner? The game labeled 'BioShock'?

G.T
Nah.

I very nearly did though, but I'm into other games right now so I may not be that dedicated anymore. :(

Good luck on beating my score though. :sly:

Oh, right. I'll have to tell my Dad that since he's convinced it'll be bricked if the power goes out.

The Solo pack is like the last level...all the time. Endless mode is amazing.

I think you're like 100 Million points ahead of me, lol.

Jeez.... I would have thought they would have done an art-iyer clock! I was hoping for some crazy analogue thing that messed with your mind... not a microwave display!

Oh well minor technicality! :sly:

Robin

I wouldn't bet on an exact date folks. Just giving you a heads up. "Soon". Not saying it will or will not come on any rumored dates, just saying...things change.

I wouldn't bet on an exact date folks. Just giving you a heads up. "Soon". Not saying it will or will not come on any rumored dates, just saying...things change.

Yeah, June 10th is just a rumor. But the update is expected to come on or before the day of Metal Gear Solid 4's release on the 12th.

I need to revisit that game and play it some more to beat your score.

Did you ever pick up the Solo pack? SO much better.
Agreed. I love the Solo pack.

Bring on ingame chat messages and ingame music
Don't get your hopes up on in-game music. No one official has even mentioned that.

As Foolkiller explained if your using a regional account thats different to your consoles region you could accidentally receive the wrong update when logging into PSN.

For example my PS3's a HK 60GB but I always use my UK PSN account, thats how you could brick your machine!

I take the safest route and get them off the net from the HK website.. that way I know its correct.

Another useful tip is to give each of your regional PSN accounts on your PS3 a different theme, color, and or background. This way you can easily tell which PSN account you are currently logged in as. 👍

Don't get your hopes up on in-game music. No one official has even mentioned that.
It has been hinted at. And what's with Snake carrying around an iPod, hmm? With the update heavily rumored to coincide with MGS4's release, the iPod seems to serve as a hint to in-game music more than it seems to serve as anything else.

Back