Playstation 3 System Update Thread

From what I've read, devices are stuck on flash 7 because of the licensing fees for upgrading, although that MAY be fixed because Adobe has apparently either announced or already made available an open-source version of the flash client, that doesn't require a license.

From,
Chris.

The "other devices" comment reminds me that a guy I work with has an iPhone and he says they are stuck on Flash 7 too.

Mayhaps some investigating is needed.
Indeed. 👍

I searched on Adobe's Product Support Center site and came up empty.

I also tried calling both their Technical support line (800-642-3623) and their Customer Service line (800-833-6687)... both of which resulted in meaningless conversations with some folks over in India who kept asking if the PS3's operating system was Mac OS or Windows. :)

I also searched their Product Support Forums, which also came up empty.

So I went ahead and posted my own topic in the Flash General Discussion forum:
It will be interesting to see what, if any response I get.

I will say though, it appears this is not a Sony issue, rather it appears instead that Adobe simply has not developed Flash 9 plug-ins for many products, including the PS3. :ouch:

They do have one for Linux, so I wonder if those that use Yellow Dog on their PS3 can update the Flash plug-in to 9... or maybe Adobe hasn't made a Flash 9 plug-in for it either? :odd:

Interesting little bit that came in quietly for 2.35.

IGN
We reported earlier today on a video upload feature that's present in the latest update to Sony's Japan-only Mainichi Issyo game for the PS3. This feature allows players to record their gameplay sessions and either save the resulting clips to the PS3 hard disk, or have the footage instantly uploaded to YouTube. While Mainichi Issyo is currently the only PS3 title to have this feature, Sony's plans for YouTube compatibility appear to be a bit more expansive.

It turns out that the YouTube compatibility is one of those secret updates that occasionally make it unannounced into a PlayStation 3 firmware update. The functionality was added to the PS3 operating system via Version 2.35 of the firmware, which became available to PS3 owners today.

Having your firmware updated to 2.35 doesn't mean you can go into any game, record your gameplay sessions, and upload the clips to YouTube, though. Individual game titles have to support the feature for it to work, and currently Mainichi Issyo is the only title to do so. However, Sony told Japan's Impress Watch, "It's possible that similar functionality will be added to other games as well."

In Mainichi Issyo's case, videos are captured at 320x240, 30 frames per second and saved in an MPEG-4 file at 768kbps. Sound is recorded at 64kbps in AAC format. The maximum clip length is ten minutes.

Upon selecting to finish their recording sessions, players are given the choice of either saving their clips to the hard disk or uploading them to YouTube. Choose the latter option, and you're prompted for your YouTube user name and password. The game then uploads the clip on the spot, showing a progress bar while you wait for the upload to complete.
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/874/874506p1.html

Now this could be very handy.

Scaff

Nice find! And the implications for Gran Turismo would be huge... let's hope PD can get their act together and get GT5 (or even a GT5:P update) to take advantage of this!

Nice find! And the implications for Gran Turismo would be huge... let's hope PD can get their act together and get GT5 (or even a GT5:P update) to take advantage of this!
Huge indeed. Imagine being able to post an online replay (assuming we get to save those) and defend your actions. Or imagine being able to immediately upload a video to show how you beat an event.

It would be even cooler if GTTV could take advantage of this as well.

great idea Sony 👍

well at least they figured out how to do that, now all we need is Adobe to make flash 9 and for Sony to increase the memory the browser is allowed to use along with a more refined code so its not as buggy and all will be well in the world again. :)

great idea Sony 👍

well at least they figured out how to do that, now all we need is Adobe to make flash 9 and for Sony to increase the memory the browser is allowed to use along with a more refined code so its not as buggy and all will be well in the world again. :)
Honestly, outside of the memory issues my browser has been fairly non-buggy. And when I do have memory issues I seem more likely to get an error saying it needs to close a window (which is annoying when I only have one window open) or it just starts to time out on connections. It rarely has actual freezing issues now.

It's about time. I have been wondering when this was going to happen. Took them long enough. Now we have to wait for PD to jump on it, and implement it into GT5:P.

This will change everything.

;)

Indeed. 👍

I searched on Adobe's Product Support Center site and came up empty.

I also tried calling both their Technical support line (800-642-3623) and their Customer Service line (800-833-6687)... both of which resulted in meaningless conversations with some folks over in India who kept asking if the PS3's operating system was Mac OS or Windows. :)

I also searched their Product Support Forums, which also came up empty.

So I went ahead and posted my own topic in the Flash General Discussion forum:
It will be interesting to see what, if any response I get.

I will say though, it appears this is not a Sony issue, rather it appears instead that Adobe simply has not developed Flash 9 plug-ins for many products, including the PS3. :ouch:

They do have one for Linux, so I wonder if those that use Yellow Dog on their PS3 can update the Flash plug-in to 9... or maybe Adobe hasn't made a Flash 9 plug-in for it either? :odd:

UPDATE: I have not received any responses to my thread, and it also appears that forum is for peer-to-peer only... :ouch:

OK, so this time I went ahead and created a Support Case through my Adobe customer account, and this is the automatic response I got back:

Case #0180191763 has been opened.

Please expect the initial response within 12 hours. The expected response time is only valid during regular business hours. If a support incident was used to create this case, the most updated available number of incidents will be reflected the next time you sign-in.

Each time your case is updated you will receive an email from Adobe Customer Service at customerservice@adobe.com. Please check your spam setting so it does not block communication from Adobe. E-mail updates will be sent to your address
So now we wait. :)

@Youtube functionallity:

I agree! Very cool update indeed. It seems almost too easy that they can integrate something so seamless that will actually work. Could be very handy indeed!

Hmmm... some interesting potential there.

One thing I've noticed on my updated ps3 is that the friends list avatars icons don't update anymore. All 30 or so in my list display the default silver, boxey smiley face. :odd:

One thing I've noticed on my updated ps3 is that the friends list avatars icons don't update anymore. All 30 or so in my list display the default silver, boxey smiley face. :odd:

sometimes if your internet connection is slow it will take a little while to load other people's avatars or sometimes they might not be shown as being online, last night I actually loaded GTA4 up before all of the people online actually showed, of course then it took several minutes for all the messages to stop flashing up in the corner :)

sometimes if your internet connection is slow it will take a little while to load other people's avatars or sometimes they might not be shown as being online, last night I actually loaded GTA4 up before all of the people online actually showed, of course then it took several minutes for all the messages to stop flashing up in the corner :)

Looks like it was just a temporary glitch. It had been sitting like that for over an hour but just now I rebooted and all is normal again. That's modern electronics for ya :rolleyes:

What do you mean? Are you a beta tester or something, if so, that is awesome.

Anyway, is there any chance you can tell us what is included or when it releases, unless you'd be breaking a NDA or whatever by doing so, then don't.

From,
Chris.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that nearly every Blu-Ray release to come out this week has "Includes Digital Copy" listed as a feature.

I need more memory cards for my PSP.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that nearly every Blu-Ray release to come out this week has "Includes Digital Copy" listed as a feature.

I need more memory cards for my PSP.

Unrelated. Fox BRD's include a second DVD with the digital copy, Sony Pictures films that have Digital Copies can be copied to PS3 HDD.

Well unless JR has some better info it looks like nothing is really new in terms of the unofficial main features of 2.40:
  • In-Game XMB Chat
  • 2D Gamer Trophies
  • Proprietary Video Coding Update for the PSN Movie Store (available later this year)
And the unofficial release date remains sometime before June 12th (the release date of MGS4).

Oh god, I hate Xbox's achievements. Why does Sony think it will make their system better? It was good without them.

Oh god, I hate Xbox's achievements. Why does Sony think it will make their system better? It was good without them.

Because a lot of gamers want them? They all out number the folks with your opinion. Why do you think it won't make their system better?

I'm not sure why someone would hate them. They're something extra to aim towards once you've done all the goals in the game. It increases the game's lifespan.

Looking forward to how they use them on the PS3 though, and whether older titles will include them...

If these achievements give us money to spend in the PSN store I might be more intrested, other wise I can't see what the fascination will be with them IMO.

Well KY was proposing rewards for GT5 which then allow you free downloads of old PS1 games which PD also did which is Motortoon Gran Prix 1 & 2...Uber Realistic! :sly:

MTGP_front.jpg

MTGP2_front.jpg

Im all for 2D trophies till Home arrives... also the in game XMB is obviously the most important! Do you think that will also mean in game custom soundtracks?

Robin

Back