PlayStation 5 Pro: Coming November 2024, $700/€800

• Thread starter Jtheripper
  • 297 comments
That pricing is insane.
Sony better makes sure that they will drop some banger games shortly after release that will use all the new tech to the fullest, or people will get even more angry.
According to this article, these are the games confirmed so far, but that there will be at least 50 ready at launch.
Games will need to be patched to take advantage of some of the PS5 Pro’s features, and Sony says developers are readying free software updates to existing titles that will be labeled as PS5 Pro Enhanced games — up to 50 of them by its November 7th launch, according to CNET.

The first PS5 Pro Enhanced games will include Alan Wake 2, Assassin’s Creed Shadows, Demon’s Souls, Dragon’s Dogma 2, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Gran Turismo 7, Hogwarts Legacy, Horizon Forbidden West, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, The Crew Motorfest, The First Descendant, and The Last of Us Part II Remastered.

I was a bit more surprised they did not use the presentation to also launch a new game that would take full advantage of it. But, according to another article from much earlier this year, Sony isn't releasing any 1st party exclusives til' after March 2025. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity that could've calmed the current reactions.

Last edited:
I was a bit more surprised they did not use the presentation to also launch a new game that would take full advantage of it. But, according to another article from much earlier this year, Sony isn't releasing any 1st party exclusives til' after March 2025. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity that could've calmed the current reactions.
Even just a little teaser for something that's still 2 years away would have made it go over better

Even just a little teaser for something that's still 2 years away would have made it go over better
Come to think of it, let's say a certain studio in Edinburgh that's known for a series named after a vehicular crime just happened to release a new snippet of a highly anticipated game at the very end of the presentation & made a note of how it's going to be maximized through the PS5 Pro. After all, they do have a reported marketing deal with Sony. That would've probably drawn most of the attention away from the price as people would've gone bananas over the game instead.

Granted of course, that isn't the way that developer does things with their trailer reveals, but that deal has led to rumors that Sony will be bundling the Pro with the game at its launch to help move the console, & that the developer was waiting for the PS5 Pro to officially launch as many think the next reveal trailer will note its being run on the PS5 Pro. Basically, even though it's not Rockstar's MO, they probably could've done Sony a huge favor teasing the game at this moment than whenever they randomly choose to.

For the record, the 7900XT alone costs 700€+ in Finland. I doubt it's crushing much anything with a PC around it that was built entirely with a 100€ MSRP budget.
The problem for me is I only buy Consoles to play GranTurismo, sure I also play the exclusiv games but I am not buying a Playstation for that games. All games that I can play on PC I play on PC with better gfx and higher fps..

The reason I bought the PS3 was GT5, the reason I bought the PS4 was GT Sport and the reason I bought the PS5 was GT7.

When it was clear the PS5 pro will come out at the end of the year I gave my ps5 away and planed to buy the ps5pro.

But for 800€ I am not buying the pro, after they announced the price I ordered a PS5 slim for 369€.

The game is good on PS5, but would be great if I could play it on PC. :)

I'm somewhat surprised at the reaction to the price. It's $200 more than the PS5 slim. That may be $100 more than people were expecting...but $100 is...what...3 or 4 meals out these days? I couldn't imagine the pro being less than $650 in any circumstance. I get that it's not cheap, but it's not like obscenely expensive either. As many others have pointed out, there are plenty of graphics cards that are more expensive than the entire console.

I'm somewhat surprised at the reaction to the price. It's $200 more than the PS5 slim. That may be $100 more than people were expecting...but $100 is...what...3 or 4 meals out these days? I couldn't imagine the pro being less than $650 in any circumstance. I get that it's not cheap, but it's not like obscenely expensive either. As many others have pointed out, there are plenty of graphics cards that are more expensive than the entire console.
well for me it was 369€ for ps5 slim or 800€ for ps5pro, easy decision. 800€ ist just crazy..

well for me it was 369€ for ps5 slim or 800€ for ps5pro, easy decision. 800€ ist just crazy..
I'm not upgrading my PS5 to a Pro anytime soon, I don't see the value in it (for me, right now, after having bought a PS5 at the start of the year)...I'm just saying I don't think the price is crazy like I'm reading pretty much everywhere.

I'm not upgrading my PS5 to a Pro anytime soon, I don't see the value in it (for me, right now, after having bought a PS5 at the start of the year)...I'm just saying I don't think the price is crazy like I'm reading pretty much everywhere.
well I do find it crazy, ps5 slim for 369€ and pro for 800€ is at least for me crazy..

I feel the main issues a lot of people have, myself included, is that the performance difference, while definitely present, doesn't look to be a monumental step-up from current offerings, and the fact that you have to pay extra on top of the $700 console to get back a major feature that's included with the $500 PS5 Slim from the get-go. If it was priced at $600-$650, and/or the disc drive was included as standard, I feel like the initial reaction to the price wouldn't be as sour. The 2TB SSD is lovely, though, as size issues continue to be a problem with modern games.

Regarding the graphics card comparison, I'm not a PC person by any stretch, but I feel like a decent argument can be made that a PC with a graphics card at that price point will have a good bit more flexibility than any home console. The main thing you lose out on at that point are the exclusive titles. If you're wanting to get the Pro, the Disc Drive and the Vertical Stand, you're starting to enter the territory of a mid-level gaming PC.

Last edited:
I'm curious, can I just swap out my 8TB M2 SSD into the PS5 Pro and it will just recognize all the licensed games on there and away I go? Or will I have to format it and re-DL my games and saves?

Jerome

I'm curious, can I just swap out my 8TB M2 SSD into the PS5 Pro and it will just recognize all the licensed games on there and away I go? Or will I have to format it and re-DL my games and saves?

Jerome
It should just work fine. However, would recommend to update firmware on both to latest versions before switching over just to be on the safe side. Probably best to sync everything, then transfer or backup old PS5 and restore it to new PS5 Pro beforehand and then insert SSD after so it will be exactly how it was on your old PS5.

but I feel like a decent argument can be made that a PC with a graphics card at that price point will have a good bit more flexibility than any home console
A PC with a graphics card worth the price of the PS5Pro will be mostly very good.
A PC of the price of the PS5Pro will not remotly deliver the same performance of a regular PS5, propably not even PS4Pro, just for 1080p resolutions and quality settings of the same level - and that is still without the input devices that are included to a console.

In my region (Greece EU) the Ps5 digital official price is 449.99€ (tax included)
In the same region the PS5 pro official price is 799.99€ (tax included)

According to Sony the PS5 pro has :
  • 45% faster rendering for gameplay
  • more powerful ray tracing
  • PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution
  • PS5 Pro Game Boost (for PS4 games)
  • Wi-Fi 7
  • 2TB SSD (+ 1TB over the current console)
All these upgrades together are valued from Sony +77,8% over the current price of the standard digital model.

It shouldn't matter if i can afford it or not.
It shouldn't matter if i can build a new PC for the same money.
It shouldn't matter if it should have a disc drive as standard or not.

It should matter if it provides +77.8% more features over the current digital console (let's face it it doesn't).
It should matter if it is obvious, to the casual gamer eye, the graphical leap at least (it doesn't have to zoom +200% to see more details).

I personally think a proper sticker price for the Ps5 pro should be no more than 650€.
I could imagine a sticker price of 800€ only with Dualsense Edge as standard in the box.

I think if like someone stated earlier if they were releasing something like an optimized GTA6 with the PS5 Pro that would definitely change the conversation around the Pro. I still wouldn't buy one but it would definitely spark interest.

In my region (Greece EU) the Ps5 digital official price is 449.99€ (tax included)
In the same region the PS5 pro official price is 799.99€ (tax included)

According to Sony the PS5 pro has :
  • 45% faster rendering for gameplay
  • more powerful ray tracing
  • PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution
  • PS5 Pro Game Boost (for PS4 games)
  • Wi-Fi 7
  • 2TB SSD (+ 1TB over the current console)
All these upgrades together are valued from Sony +77,8% over the current price of the standard digital model.

It shouldn't matter if i can afford it or not.
It shouldn't matter if i can build a new PC for the same money.
It shouldn't matter if it should have a disc drive as standard or not.

It should matter if it provides +77.8% more features over the current digital console (let's face it it doesn't).
It should matter if it is obvious, to the casual gamer eye, the graphical leap at least (it doesn't have to zoom +200% to see more details).

I personally think a proper sticker price for the Ps5 pro should be no more than 650€.
I could imagine a sticker price of 800€ only with Dualsense Edge as standard in the box.
I understand. But we could discuss that the resulting performance or image quality of the game maybe more than 77% over the PS5. The ray tracing for example might not even exist on the PS5. The pro has 8k version of GT7, thats what 300% more than PS5?
On PSVR2 you dont need to zoom or have 100" TV to see the extra details or resolution.
There are so many reasons to make the Pro a day 1 purchase.
If it makes only the rear view mirror in VR normal frame rate its worth it for me.

Jerome
You will have to format it

Last edited:
Although, $800 won't give me 800x happiness over my standard PS5, and I'd rather spend that on something else, but the price isn't too outrageous.

Think about it: people have no problem dropping $1K plus every darn year on exactly the same "new" iPhone of virtually zero improvement; let's not even talk about the $1.6K Samsung Fold which is considerably worse than my $300 phone that I've been using for 4 years now. Dropping $800 to have potentially the last version of the current gen to your collection isn't so bad. It's not like you're buying new PlayStation every single year like apple fans ordering theirs at every single announcement.

On the other hand, I got the PS5 because of the exclusive games I want to play, and at $600 launch, it was cheaper and less hassle than building a new PC at the time. I'll wait for BlackFriday in a few years!!!!
Or perhaps, PS5 Pro Slim Ultimate Deluxe Bundle version!!! 🤣

Sold my PS5 a few months ago in protest against PD and their crappy updates to GT7
That's a very elaborated protest just for PD and GT7. I salute you. :lol:

Last edited:
You will have to format it
How sure are you of this, because I'm really quite sure you can just pull the M2 expansion out of one PS5 and plug it into another and - assuming the accounts are the same - retain access to its contents.

You definitely had to reformat PS4 HDDs, but I'm even relatively sure there's official guidance of the above.

There’s reportedly a State of Play in the next week or two. Then Sony has an official presence at Tokyo Game Show in October. Those hinting at the SoP are saying some big, new titles will be shown. Shinobi, who works in the industry and leaks some things, also says 2025 will be pretty stacked with 1st Party titles.

We just don’t know what most of ‘em are yet!

How sure are you of this, because I'm really quite sure you can just pull the M2 expansion out of one PS5 and plug it into another and - assuming the accounts are the same - retain access to its contents.

You definitely had to reformat PS4 HDDs, but I'm even relatively sure there's official guidance of the above.
Even the hdd, at least to use it on my ps5, i just plugged it in i think, and all my ps4 games worked, and i can store ps5 games on it too.

Maybe you mean switching ps4s, that i dont know.

MSZ
$960 + tax CAD in Canada
way too much, is Sony trying to create their apple vision pro moment here?
I’m a big fan of the base ps5 but this is nuts, especially since as many said there are no titles the benefit meaningfully. Yes you can have more hz etc it’s like saying the camera is better when it had more megapixels

US prices are always shown without sales tax. Your math is off.
Same as Canada.

Basically if you see a price in North America add 15-20% sales tax.

If it’s in a restaurant add a 15% tip.

If you are European be careful what you wish for, the way taxes is not included in NA is a scam made to encourage more buying…

I understand. But we could discuss that the resulting performance or image quality of the game maybe more than 77% over the PS5. The ray tracing for example might not even exist on the PS5. The pro has 8k version of GT7, thats what 300% more than PS5?
On PSVR2 you dont need to zoom or have 100" TV to see the extra details or resolution.
There are so many reasons to make the Pro a day 1 purchase.
If it makes only the rear view mirror in VR normal frame rate its worth it for me.
I didn't saw anything near +77.8% better visuals in the presentation.

Also "4k 60fps" on Ps5 vs "4k 60fps +Ray tracing" game play is not + 77.8% better visuals. Maybe a +25% .

As for the 8k version of gt7 i can not believe will be in game play in the consumer version, but we will see. Also not even close to 77.8%. At this resolution in 60fps +RT might bee close to this percentage upgrade.
Let's not forget the 8k stamp on the OG Ps5's retail box. Still waiting for this lol.

I also missed the info about the upgrade on PSVR2. I am not aware of the upgrades for this at all.

Nice machine but not at this price.
Numbers will tell the truth in the preorder period for sure.
I believe there will be an official price drop because it will not reach the goals, relatively soon in it's sell period.

Let's not forget the 8k stamp on the OG Ps5's retail box. Still waiting for this lol.
8k is a marketing joke as neither will any game on console run with this resolution nor will any customer see any difference between 4k and 8k in home tv setups.

If you do see a difference, you are way to close to a much to big display.

I would be worried if it has to be reformated, because that would mean having to redownload all games already installed which means there wouldnt be a reason to use the expansion drive (well of course for additional space) as the redownload would happen anyway.
But if done with not ill intention, it should be plug&play literally speaking.

950 euro for a console with disc is insane. And let's not talk about selling a drive 150 chf (equivalent of 150 euro approx). When you can pick a similar drive for pc for 50 euro.

Sony is definitely loosing me with this and them releasing title on pc. I rather invest those 900 euro in upgrading my graphic card to a 5080 or 5090 than buying a console for 950. I can wait 2-3 years for games to be release on pc and be optimized better anyway.

Although I say that but with AMD announcing they wont do a super high end graphic card for the next gens, it means that Nvidia can pretty much price their card whetever they want. I wished they waited for the series 50xx to drop.

Last edited:
Notwithstanding how sales tax should be included in listed prices in the United States:
mef
Basically if you see a price in North America add 15-20% sales tax.
  1. No.
  2. A PS5 Pro would then cost someone in the US at most $839/£643/€762, which is still well below the UK price (which at £699.99 is, amusingly, even higher than the PS3's outrageous UK launch price when inflation adjusted) or the EU price. If I personally was to go to the nearest Wal-Mart and buy a PS5 Pro it would actually cost me a touch under $740, which would make it £134 less than it will cost in the UK and €97 less then it will cost in the EU. In comparison the Canadian launch price is basically the same as the US one; and assuming the Australian price includes VAT then it's not that dissimilar there either.

Last edited:
8k is a marketing joke as neither will any game on console run with this resolution nor will any customer see any difference between 4k and 8k in home tv setups.

If you do see a difference, you are way to close to a much to big display.
Any life form in the universe is too far away if they cant see the difference between moon sized plasma and planetry sized plasma displays. Carbon is a marketing joke that will never turn into anything.

(btw The Touryst runs natively 8k 60fps on the standard PS5.)

Last edited:
Back