Playstation Home Thread

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 2,153 comments
Is anyone else having a problem with coming in/out of Home....? It seems every other time I use the PS button, the system hangs... the XMB reappears but the icons don't emerge (just get the spinning arrows). When I press the PS button again, it goes back to Home but dimmed and with the "pending" icon in the top right hand corner. The only way out is to press the PS button again and go to Quit, which resets the PS3 completely :ill:

Righto, I'm off to school, if it's not available when I get back, it will release the 12th for us Aussies.

Is anyone else having a problem with coming in/out of Home....? It seems every other time I use the PS button, the system hangs... the XMB reappears but the icons don't emerge (just get the spinning arrows). When I press the PS button again, it goes back to Home but dimmed and with the "pending" icon in the top right hand corner. The only way out is to press the PS button again and go to Quit, which resets the PS3 completely :ill:
I just now logged into Home (NA) and it's working fine for me. I did not check any of the other regional versions of Home. However, considering everything that is happening on the Home front, it's probably not a bad idea to resist using it until after tomorrow's update.

It isn't obvious, but here is how you can check:

Go to the Playstation Network menu in the XMB, make sure you are signed in, and then select Account Management, then select Account Information. If you see at the top of the list of options, "Billing Information", or farther below that, "Address", then that account is a Master Account. If it does not show these options, then you'll know it is a Sub Account.
Ok, thanks! I have two Masters and no Subs. 👍

The Sub accounts are only for people below a specific age right? Or are they of any other use?

I just now logged into Home (NA) and it's working fine for me. I did not check any of the other regional versions of Home. However, considering everything that is happening on the Home front, it's probably not a bad idea to resist using it until after tomorrow's update.
Is it already out!? Or does it depend on where you live? Or did you have it already?

That would be great, and perhaps they will add that when they have time. Perhaps even adding the same lip-synching feature used in LBP when you are using a headset/mic.
Every game shoud incorporate this.

I know when you use some of the various gestures from the R1 menu, your character will show some actual expressions, but other than that, everyone pretty much as the same stale expression.
Check them for belly buttons!

Not that I am aware of. I think it is the R3 button that allows you to zoom in/out, but there is no FPV that I am aware of... but for me at least, I don't think I would ever use a FPV. I like the wider range of view that a 3PV gives.
For thinsg liek enjoying teh view and whatnot I thought it woudl be neat. I knwo I enjoyed using it on High Stakes Poker.

On topic: HOME will be included in the PS Store update tomorrow for us Americans?
No, it seems it is already on your system. You will just have to do a reboot and the icon will appear in your Network menu. From there you select it and it will likely begin the download.

The Sub accounts are only for people below a specific age right? Or are they of any other use?
That would be the main use, but you can set them up for anyone.

Is it already out!? Or does it depend on where you live? Or did you have it already?
He was in the beta, so he has it already, as do I.

The report that Home will be "down" tommorow" ie the servers will be down from ted the dog, on the Home forum, is basicly a message to all the guys in the closed beta. What this means to them is that the down time is due to the servers switching over to the "Open beta" If you want to know when Homes about to hit time wise the best place to look is the Home forum where you'll no doubt hear when the servers go dowm, give then a few hours and that should be the start time for open beta. Sorry if thats a bit converluted.

Any members on the closed beta if you could let us know when the servers go down then we know when open beta will be iminent. Cheers guys.

woowoo2.gif

They are for anyone you like. As I mentioned, I mistakenly set up my wife with a sub account as I assumed incorrectly that in order for her to use the same credit card she needed to be associated with my account. Now she is stuck with a sub account. :indiff:

As FK mentioned, I already had it from the closed beta.

Speaking of sub accounts and age limits to Home. I just created a new master account and listed my age as being only nine years old, and guess what... I got into Home without any problems. The only way I can't access Home is with a sub account regardless of the age of the user with that sub account. Maybe this will change with the Open Beta, but currently there is no age limit for Home... the only restriction is on which type of account you are using.

One more thing...

Disregard that suggestion if you are part of the closed beta and have not yet downloaded all the free clothes, furnishings, and the Summer Home from the Mall, now is the time to do it.

100_0684.jpg

I decided to make a last minute check to see if there may have been some new items added to the malls, but after checking the NA, EU, HK, and JP versions of Home, they all have the same items as before.

I did notice two thing however. Not only were there lots of people making last minute runs to the stores in the malls, but at least in the European version of Home, there was a large crowd sitting in front of the empty "Home" store.

I'm not sure what that was all about, but they were all convinced it was going to "open" any minute... it reminded me though of hardcore fantasy film fans who camp out a day before a film is going to open.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what that was all about, but they were all convinced it was going to "open" any minute... it reminded me though of hardcore fantasy film fans who camp out a day before a film is going to open.

Or they are just waiting for black Friday.

Ok, so what's 4:00AM PT in GMT time?

Just add 8 hours. So 4am PT is noon in GMT. Also it looks like there is a typo in the time for the dance party in Home, as both times say PT... but are three hours apart, so I assume it is supposed to say 6pm ET... although that's a little early for a dance party. ;)

If it really is 3pm PT, then that means 11PM GMT.

BTW: The official PS Developer's Blog has a lengthy article about Home with some new pics and a video clip of the Red Bull Air Races available on Red Bull Island in Home.

Here is the article, but to view the full HD screen shots and video you'll have to follow the link to the article.

PlayStation Home Open Beta Launches Tomorrow
Posted on 12/10/08 by Jack Buser // Director, PlayStation Home

The day we’ve been waiting for is here! And this is just the beginning…

Today we announced that PlayStation Home will enter into open beta, and will be available to everyone tomorrow. This milestone represents the very beginning of a long journey together, as PlayStation Home is an ever evolving, always changing, organic experience — full of new friends to meet, new events to enjoy, and new content to explore.

If this will be your first time in PlayStation Home, be sure to talk to folks that have been around for a while, as they can show you the ropes. We also have a tutorial built in that will get you started with the controls, as well as help menus for you to reference in the Menu Pad. If you don’t have a USB keyboard or Bluetooth headset paired with your PlayStation 3, now is the time to do so – either option will allow you to easily talk and meet everyone.

One of the first things that you’ll notice that there are always things going on – parties, tournaments, events – some of which will be announced, and some of which that will just happen. You’ve got to be there to be a part of the party, so make sure to log in often to see what is going on.

If you want to know what’s coming up, check out the PlayStation Home forums, as we will be announcing events, tournaments, content updates, and feature revisions there, and by actively participating, you will be the first to know. You’ll also find that the PlayStation Home forums are alive with conversation from the PlayStation Home community discussing everything from feature requests to new clubs to join.

Many of you will have already seen the news regarding participation in PlayStation Home from your favorite game publishers and brands, including Activision, Disney, Eidos, Electronic Arts, Lucas Arts, THQ and UBISOFT as well as Sony Pictures, Paramount, Red Bull, Ligne Roset, and Diesel. As you can imagine, with this many partners already on board, PlayStation Home will grow rapidly, so you’ll need to check back often to see what is new. We’ll do our best to keep you informed on what is going on, but with so much happening in PlayStation Home, there will always be new surprises and secrets to discover. If we simply told you about everything, then it just wouldn’t be as fun for you to discover…

For those of you that have been in PlayStation Home for a while, I wanted to take a moment to discuss something very cool that you will notice right away. Once you get in, you’ll see that a redesigned Central Plaza is there to greet you - we’ve made major upgrades as a result of your community feedback. Thank you!

First of all, the Central Plaza now features a new 4 player mini-game called “Saucer Pop,” where each player launches a flying saucer from a take-off pad and flies around popping bubbles. These bubbles contain stars that have points attached, but watch out for the bubbles with bombs which will take you out if you’re not careful. You also must keep an eye on your saucer’s fuel gauge and collect bubbles with fuel cells or else you will quickly meet a watery fate. Success is all about the high scores, so good luck out there! I’ve been playing for a while now while we’ve been developing the game, so I’m getting pretty good…for those of you that know me, prepare to pop!

Secondly, you will also see some changes to Listen@Home. Now, you’ll be able to select from a number of songs and vote on your favorites. Which ever song gets the most votes plays for everyone, so be sure to get your voice heard and get down on the dance floor.

I could go on and on about all the cool new things you are going see and find in PlayStation Home, both on day one of open beta and beyond. The important thing to remember is that PlayStation Home will continue to evolve and change overtime, so be sure to get in often so you don’t miss out…

See you in PlayStation Home.

Last edited:
I particularly like the Uncharted Home Space... looks like a place that even Hemingway would call home... although I suspect he would take a bat to the arcade cabinets in the back. :)

3096906568_bc130e4d64_o.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, judging by their message of welcoming newcomers, i'd say Home will be ready for download at about 3:00PM EST.

How many hours is that from now, I'm at school and it seems it is still not out yet, grrr....

Yes, judging by their message of welcoming newcomers, i'd say Home will be ready for download at about 3:00PM EST.

yea that sounds about right. seeing as the new comers will have to download it from the store they will have to wait for the store to update which usually takes place later in the day. oh well this will be good for us with the beta to log on and check out the rooms and new areas with a little less of a crowd. :sly:

About 2 and a half hours left? I'm hoping that the 12am for Americans is when my ps updates.

How exactly do I reboot my PS3? I'm suspecting it's something as easy as turning it completely off..

EDIT: Okay, I did that and I don't see anything yet...

Last edited:
Nothing is up yet in oz either. Just checked. Apparently late afternoon (GMT +10) according to sony via some Oz forums I looked on earlier.

For those who have been wanting to play the NAMCO classic arcade games in Home (JP & HK versions), they just released the NAMCO Museum Beta demo on both the JP & HK PSN stores:

100_0685.jpg

100_0686.jpg

Here is the exact description:

• Try out the free demo of "NAMCO MUSEUM", a collection of a number of long-lived arcade titles by Namco.
  • Now you can also play the game in PlayStation Home!
  • Please enjoy the exciting gaming experience from this Namco arcade series in the virtual amusement space!
  • Here is what you can have a try at "BETA": 2 stages in Pac-Man, 2 rounds in Dig-Dug, 2 stages and the first challenging stage in Galaga and 2 maps in Xevious. By trying out the game, you can get extra items for PlayStation Home from the new system "Home Reward".
  • Clear out "certain conditions" during gameplay, and you may be able to get some more items for your own avatar and Home Space!

So to those wondering if you can win special items for the Namco games as well, the answer is "yes"! 👍

All you have to do is download either or both, depending on which versions of Home you want to play it in. I personally recommend the HK version as it is in English.

100_0704.jpg

Just like any demo, it will create an install bubble at the top of the list of games in the Game menu of the XMB. Click on it to install, and it will now show up on your list of games & demos:

100_0695.jpg

It acts just like any other demo, in that you can play the games directly from the XMB:

100_0689.jpg

100_0692.jpg

100_0693.jpg

100_0691.jpg

100_0694.jpg

However, you can also now go to the Game Space in home, go into the NAMCO classic arcade room, and walk to the game you wish to play, and then press X to start a game:

100_0706.jpg

100_0708.jpg

If you installed the correct file, that specific game will automatically load. If not, you'll get the following message:

100_0703.jpg

Don't worry about the bit about redeeming a promo code. It isn't necessary. You just have to download the demo and install it.

When you are done, you can get back to Home by holding down the PS button and the first choice is to return to PlayStation Home. What is missing though is the ability to just quit and go back to the XMB without having to first return Home. The work around for this is to press the PS button so that the in-game XMB shows up. Now simply move the curser to the far left and select any other user. It will then ask do you want to quit and log in as this user. Say yes, and voila, you are back to the XMB without having to first go back to Home and quit Home. The only catch is that you are now logged in as a different user, but it is easy and quick enough to switch back. 👍

So, even those without Home can play around with the demo for Namco's Museum arcade game, and those with access to the JP or HK versions of Home can now play the games in Home, and earn special items as well. 👍

Last edited:
For those in the US expecting Home in the next couple hours, or those that think they have to keep rebooting their PS3 to see if they "got it", here is the word I got from the official US PS Home forums:

1.- For the guys that already have Home, an update to the 1.03 version will pop up around 7am eastern time, right when the servers come back up.

2.- For the people that don't have it, it will be available for download from the ps store which updates around 5pm to 7pm eastern time...this is just to avoid any issues with the app.

The info could be wrong, but it's the closest I've seen to being accurate assesment and times.

YOU have GOT to be :censoring: me.

That is 11pm!!!!! Which means that when I wake up tommorow with my faster off peak internet I WILL be able to download home and it will take about 15mins or so. WHAT JOY.

EDIT: Thats says PM, jesus. That is about 19 HOURS from now, emmm let me see 7am for me in the morning I think.

EDIT EDIT: Shaka, you may want to update your sig if you have a ps3.

Last edited:
Has anyone actually got Home proper yet (not the closed beta)? Still nothing showing up on my console as yet... I hope the damn thing doesnt crash the second it opens shop!

Robin

Back