Playstation Home Thread

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 2,153 comments
Wow!! :eek: Was not expecting to read that today at all. Great news, and thanks Amar, thanks very very very much. :dopey:

Just wondering, will it be a big file to download, because I wont be home until Friday and I'm wondering should I ask someone at home, the real one not the virtual one you know what I mean, to download it for me, incase it takes my measly 1mb/sec connection all weekend to download it?

The beta was 77MB so I think it will be around that much! I know that doesnt sound like much but thats because its a download as you go affair... as you explore home more sections are downloaded... its better than having the whole lot dumped on you in one go... there might be places you never visit for example. Home will however take 3GB of HDD space reserve so remember to make space for that!

should I ask someone at home, the real one not the virtual one you know what I mean,

Hahaha the confusion is starting already! :lol: ;)

Robin

The beta was 77MB so I think it will be around that much! I know that doesnt sound like much but thats because its a download as you go affair... as you explore home more sections are downloaded... its better than having the whole lot dumped on you in one go... there might be places you never visit for example. Home will however take 3GB of HDD space reserve so remember to make space for that!

Robin

Thanks, that doesnt sound too bad. At a normal time that would probably take me about 30 minutes, add the load on the servers, I'll guess a pessimistic 1.5 hours, so I'll leave it until Friday.

Bit more info from TedtheDog over at the official forums.

• Tomorrow Home will be offline for some time. Judging by the level of anticipation you'll know of its return within nano seconds
  • Once its back online we will be running version 1.03 and all those with the current version will be offered a patch. The patch simply supports the server changes being made to support Open Beta
  • From Open beta onwards the age limit for Home within SCEE will change from 18+ to 16+
  • Once the Open Beta is up and running the Home icon will be on your XMB under PlayStation®Network. If you cant see it please restart your PS3 which will update your XMB. However, wait until Home is up and running first
  • Home will be available to everyone who has a PlayStation®Store
  • The Red Bull Air Race will not be included tomorrow, but will arrive within days. It will be worth the wait.
  • Please remember, this really is a Beta.
Source - http://community.eu.playstation.com...essage?board.id=b_EN_PS3_Home&thread.id=55422

Regards

Scaff

Scaff, is it possible to rename this thread Playstation Home Thread and sticky it... now that its coming out and all, just to keep everything neat! Thanks :)

Robin

Not my theorie but dosn't matter now, the times were right with there "this week" and "in the next 10 days" quotes!
Well, I think he was referring to your system clock theory. It will most likely be a network trigger.

That said, it appears that my theory is correct, it is already there.
*3 When the service is available, PlayStation Home icon will appear after booting/ re-booting the PS3 system.
You just need to reboot after the trigger is sent out so it can show up.

Lets hope the "Plane crazy" protestors don't find out and have a sit it demo on the runway LOL
What is this? I have not heard of Plane Crazy. Is this a joke going over my head or some legitimate group?

You know what this means, though... DISASTER! No more fun at the PS forums watching people renouncing their "loyalty" to Sony because they didn't get an invite to the beta ("i bought every game and got my ps3 on launch day and i didnt get a invite. well thats it sony im gettin a xbox see if i care you meanies :grumpy: " )

:D
Don't worry. Two hours in reports of 50% of users getting banned for nothing will fly around the net and give them plenty of fuel. The reality will be that it was less than 1% and they were likely dry humping every female avatar that walked by like some messed up dog.

I also love when guys say they just sold their PS3s and then two days later talk about playing a new game and how much it sucks, only to have someone call them out on it.

Just wondering, will it be a big file to download, because I wont be home until Friday and I'm wondering should I ask someone at home, the real one not the virtual one you know what I mean, to download it for me, incase it takes my measly 1mb/sec connection all weekend to download it?
I have a 1mb connection as well and the beta did not take that long to download. It was actually surprisingly fast compared to firmware and store downloads. Either Sony has stepped up their servers, which is possible as my last couple of firmware upgrades have gone much faster, or it is using the same system as the in-game patch updates, because those are always fast for me. Either way it was definitely faster than a 77MB store download.

What happens when millions try it at once, though, I cannot say.

@Digital-Nitrate:
Thanks for your comprehensive reply, it was very kind of you :)

@Digital-Nitrate, Scaff and all well-informed beta users:
Could this portion of Scaff's quote
From Open beta onwards the age limit for Home within SCEE will change from 18+ to 16+

mean that sub accounts will be able to access Home?? 💡

Wonder what time it'll be released... :rolleyes: Can't wait!

I presume the first place that passes midnight on the 10th will get it first and then everyone after that as the time zones go across the world.

Robin.

WOW I didnt know about the news till now lol

Awsome good stuff, cant wait to dig in. Problem is I have no clue on what to do :)
Headset support I wonder?

Very cool, I am excited to try it out. I've been reading up on Home over the past couple days and it seems like a neat concept. I realise tomorrow is just a beta though so I'm not going to expect the world from it.

WOW I didnt know about the news till now lol

Awsome good stuff, cant wait to dig in. Problem is I have no clue on what to do :)
You can definitely use a headset. Even without a headset, you can hear verbal conversations within a certain radius of your avatar, which is quite cool, although it can also be quite annoying if you get some twit yapping away while you are trying to bowl :irked:

*starts filling out form to be resident twit* :P

I've been itchin' to see how all this works in person. 👍

Could this portion of Scaff's quote
From Open beta onwards the age limit for Home within SCEE will change from 18+ to 16+

mean that sub accounts will be able to access Home?? 💡
The problem though is that unfortunately this probably has no impact on whether or not a sub account will be able to access Home. For instance, so far, all sub accounts are prohibited from using Home, no matter what the age is of the sub account holder, or the master account that created it.

My personal recommendation is to go ahead and create a new user on your PS3 and when you sign-up for a PSN ID, make sure it is a Master Account. Seeing as GTP_Hun is obviously unavailable, maybe choose GTP_Hun200kmh or something similar to what you already have. I would not delete your old user account though, because there may come a time when you will be able to change a sub account to a master account, or that a sub account will have access to Home.

Who knows, maybe Sony will lift the restriction against sub accounts with this latest Home update... but I'm guessing that will not be the case, as I'm sure their primary concern regarding sub accounts is in not allowing unsupervised children to roam around PS Home.

I suspect what Sony will have to do is to set it up so that a master account has an option in the sub account management menu to allow a sub account to have access to Home.

Off topic question. Where can you check if you have Sub or Master account? Can't remember what I created.

Off topic question. Where can you check if you have Sub or Master account? Can't remember what I created.
I don't think you can have a sub-account without a master account, can you?

Problem is I have no clue on what to do :)
  • Create an Avatar
    • There are several preset standard ones, but the real fun is creating your own with a huge amount of control over making very precise facial features. Thus allowing you to make very convincing celebrity look-a-likes. You can even make monsters. :D
    • Select what clothing and accessories you want your avatar to have.
  • Check out your first personal space, Harbor Studio
    • You can change the wallpaper/paint and decorate the place with furniture and items you have in your inventory, or just place a chair on the balcony and enjoy the view.
  • Visit a Home Community Space
    (spaces may be named differently depending on what regional version of Home you are in)
    • Central Plaza
    • Shopping Mall
    • Bowling Alley
    • Home Theater
    • Cafe (downstairs has a Jazz club, upstairs has office spaces)
    • Game Spaces (like Far Cry 2, Uncharted, etc)
  • Create or Join a Private Club

So besides all that, here are some other things you can do in Home:
  • Just roam around and enjoy the views
  • Watch videos on the big screens
  • Listen to music from the Listen@Home area
  • Dance (from disco to rave, from the cabbage patch to the pop, from rock to salsa... you have lots of styles to chose from if that's your thing. If you like to improvise, you can even toss in a few physical gestures while dancing by pressing the R1 button and finding one you like.)
  • Communicate with strangers
  • Call a friend on the Home Phone
  • Invite friends to join you where ever you are
  • Participate in developer meet and greets and Q&A sessions
  • Shop
  • Play Chess
  • Play Checkers
  • Play Saucer Pops
  • Play Darts
  • Shoot Pool
  • Bowl
  • Participate in organized and unorganized gaming tournaments
  • Play PSN style arcade games (and win special clothing items as prizes)
    • echochrome
    • Ice Breaker
    • Carriage Return
  • Play Classic NAMCO arcade games
    • Pac-Man
    • Dig-Dug
    • Galaga
    • Xevious
Everything in Home is currently free of charge with the exception of items in the Mall... but even there you can find free stuff.

As if that wasn't enough, here are some other things that are said to be coming to Home:
  • Red Bull Island Space
  • Uncharted Space
  • Warhawk Space
  • Motorstorm Space
  • SOCOM Space
  • Hall of Fame Space
  • 3D Trophy Collections
  • Remote Controlled Model Boats, and Cars
  • And likely more.

Yes, and lots of other ways of communicating as well:

• Press and Hold R2 for voice chat (must have a PS Eye, or headset set for audio input)
  • Press Triangle for custom chat (either with the InteliText OSD keyboard, or with a PS BT Keypad, or any USB keyboard, wireless as well)
  • Press L1 for a selection of preset text messages.
  • Press R1 for a wide selection of preset action options.

Last edited:
or just place a chair on the balcony and enjoy the view.
You know, they should really have a way to change facial expressions and posture, because I did this and my guy looked so depressed. Actually, a mechanic for body controls like LBP has would be awesome.

Also, I can't remember, and I am not near my PS3 at the moment, but is there a way to go into first person view?

!!!!!!!!!!!6:12am here and the first thing I did was check the ps3....I have to wait for the otther countries to catch up I think. What time is it over there?

!!!!!!!!!!!6:12am here and the first thing I did was check the ps3....I have to wait for the otther countries to catch up I think. What time is it over there?
3:14 PM on Wednesday in the US eastern time zone.

I would say your best bet is about the same time your PS Store updates.

.......I have to wait 9 hours, that would be when I get home, 10 hours from now.

I would say your best bet is about the same time your PS Store updates.

Wouldn't have a clue when it updates.
I really hope it opens today though lol. I was dreaming about it last night:scared:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can get first person mode, but if you press R3 you get a closer view of your avatar (top half of the body only, as opposed to the whole of your body)...

It isn't obvious, but here is how you can check:

Go to the Playstation Network menu in the XMB, make sure you are signed in, and then select Account Management, then select Account Information. If you see at the top of the list of options, "Billing Information", or farther below that, "Address", then that account is a Master Account. If it does not show these options, then you'll know it is a Sub Account.

In case you have lots of Master Accounts and have a Sub Account that you can't remember which Master Account it is associated with, as far as I know, the only way to find that out is to check each Master Account's Account Management menu to see if it lists Sub Account Management. Then select that option, put in the password for that Master Account, and it will then list the email addresses of each Sub Account that it controls.

I don't think you can have a sub-account without a master account, can you?
No, but if you have multiple accounts, then it may be important to identify if any are Sub Accounts.

For instance, Patrik may have done what Hun200kmh did and that was to have made a sub account using the GTP_ prefix for GTP related PSN stuff. I wouldn't be at all surprised if quite a few people did that who owned PS3's before the whole GTP_ thing got started, or who didn't consider making a GTP_ account a seperate Master Account.

You know, they should really have a way to change facial expressions and posture, because I did this and my guy looked so depressed.
I had the same reaction as well, but I also noticed that if you wait a little while, your avatar shifts around, even crosses their legs, and won't always look so depressed.

Actually, a mechanic for body controls like LBP has would be awesome.
That would be great, and perhaps they will add that when they have time. Perhaps even adding the same lip-synching feature used in LBP when you are using a headset/mic.

I know when you use some of the various gestures from the R1 menu, your character will show some actual expressions, but other than that, everyone pretty much as the same stale expression.

Also, I can't remember, and I am not near my PS3 at the moment, but is there a way to go into first person view?
Not that I am aware of. I think it is the R3 button that allows you to zoom in/out, but there is no FPV that I am aware of... but for me at least, I don't think I would ever use a FPV. I like the wider range of view that a 3PV gives.

Back