Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,496 comments
Clean looking. I've almost bought one several times now in my desire to replace my Corolla... how is it?
If you're looking for speed, you're going to need to do a 2JZ-GTE swap, so say the experts. Non-turbo 2JZ owners have not reported much more power (if any) from exhaust, ECU, and intake modifications. It's also a soft ride, and the steering can be a little numb. Typically, they're quite reliable. But like any other car, they have plenty of little issues just like any other car its age. For a highway cruiser or a comfy ride, it really can't be beat. For a track car, look elsewhere. Overall, it's basically a rear-wheel drive Camry with more style, but not much bling.

Here is my "report card" on the car and some things I've learned about the car at work.

I think a change to shocks and struts would reduce a lot of the wallow and suspension travel, stronger ball joints as well (they can be suspect on some GS's). To be honest, I don't know if or what coilovers work best with it. I can't justify replacing four struts that are not leaking on my budget.

I get a surprising amount of compliments in parking lots, which is probably my motivating factor for keeping it. It's clean, but nothing spectacular.

I never answered these questions, so here goes:
JCE
* Where's the ECU located? And what do I look for to see if its been replaced?
* What's a good solution to SOLVE the yellowing of the headlights and or condensation WITHOUT having to garage or cover it?
* Any noises or things to listen/feel to see if the starter's about to go out?
* Have you replaced the window motor or regulator? I've replaced them in Nissans, Toyotas, Pontiacs, and Chevrolets...they weren't too difficult.
* I've noticed that some of the SC models have gold plated trim around the taillights...are there any body color replacements or can I simply just remove them safely? I can't stand gold plated trim and emblems of any sort.
* And on the power steering issue. I'm sure I can still drive the car without power steering like I can with other cars right? I don't really care whether or not a car has power steering.
1) By the footwell of the passenger-front seat.

2) Polishing the headlamps with wax and plastic polish works for me. If it's really yellowed, then an orbital buffer does the trick, but you have to be careful not to distort the plastic seams to moisture does not get in the lens (another issue).

3) Noisy and/or irregular starts (starts on 1st try, 12th try, 8th try, 3rd try...) are about the only thing to look for.

4) Personally, no. A 30-45 minute job for techs. GS window motors were more reliable than SC window regulator-motor assemblies, due to the smaller door size, I've guessed, since the parts came from the same source.

5) Gold-plated trim was common a 1990s fad on Lexuses; the "L" logo has two holes holding the emblem in most places. But the Lexus badge is just a heavy-duty sticker, so it can be removed. I think a Toyota logo fits in place of most "L" logos, but grille emblems are different. I'm not much for JDM-ing a car, but an Aristo conversion kit is common, although 1st-gen GS's had a weird taillight trim surround just to make it more difficult. (Personally, I like the "black-pearl" or "nickel-plated" logos, but they are quite model-specific.) The chrome replacement logos are not terribly expensive, I think $20-30 each. Wheel cap replacements are a bit more, like 35-40 each.

6) Yeah, the car can be driven w/o power steering, although steering racks do wear out on old Lexuses. A lot of people top-off the PS fluid for years and years, with no serious issues.

Last edited:
Got my new baby on Election Day (last Tuesday)...

Forgive the crappy cell phone picture, I'll post a better one later...

solstice_1.jpg

I went with the Hahn Racecraft front mount and I couldn't be happier. I've seen some kits with shorter piping routes but they require you to lose the factory fog lights and hack up your bumper. I didn't want to do either so the HRC kit was the obvious choice. Perfect fit and finish. Properly sized bar & plate Spearco intercooler core. Mandrel bent piping with beaded ends and powdercoated black. 4-ply couplers and t-bolt clamps. The works.

hrc_fmic.jpg

That looks awesome.
I might have missed it, but do you have a list of what you've done to the car around somewhere?
I'd love to get my hands on a clean Eclipse someday. Not that I'm complaining though.

I was wearing my old GTP sweatshirt today and remembered I haven't been to the site in almost a year!

Here's an update on my car:
DSCF1631.jpg

DSCF1635.jpg

Since I've last been here, the suspension has been lowered and stiffened, 1" rear sway bar installed, new wheels and tires, and I have $1000 worth of parts sitting in my bedroom waiting to go in.

I was wearing my old GTP sweatshirt today and remembered I haven't been to the site in almost a year!

Here's an update on my car:
DSCF1631.jpg

DSCF1635.jpg

Since I've last been here, the suspension has been lowered and stiffened, 1" rear sway bar installed, new wheels and tires, and I have $1000 worth of parts sitting in my bedroom waiting to go in.

Cool looking panther. What kind of suspension are you running?

Thanks guys.

I've got custom Coilsprings.com springs, Bilstein HD shocks, and an ADDCO rear sway bar. Handles GREAT (been compared to a Mustang by a friend of mine), but I'd like to go back to Coilsprings.com and get stiffer springs. The spring rates are 550# front and 180# rear, both of which are less than the comparable year PI springs, but made a nice improvement over the grandma springs that were in there. :)

What year is your Vic?

Oh, and to attest to the better handling, I kept up with a 2003 Audi S4 on some twisty roads. (of course, he pulled away on the straights with the twin turbos, lol)

Thanks guys.

I've got custom Coilsprings.com springs, Bilstein HD shocks, and an ADDCO rear sway bar. Handles GREAT (been compared to a Mustang by a friend of mine), but I'd like to go back to Coilsprings.com and get stiffer springs. The spring rates are 550# front and 180# rear, both of which are less than the comparable year PI springs, but made a nice improvement over the grandma springs that were in there. :)

What year is your Vic?

Oh, and to attest to the better handling, I kept up with a 2003 Audi S4 on some twisty roads. (of course, he pulled away on the straights with the twin turbos, lol)

Awesome. Mine is a 2000 Police Interceptor.

Better picture than the previous one...

Wanted to see what it looks like with the autocross numbers... :)

solstice_346.jpg

So you got a GXP? Guessing as much from the A stock, since I thought the base model is C stock... where it was owning the Miata.

So you got a GXP? Guessing as much from the A stock, since I thought the base model is C stock... where it was owning the Miata.

Yeah, it's a GXP. I do enjoy my turbos... With the exception of my wife's minivan, my last four cars have been turbos, bought in '94, '97, '03, and now '08.

The GXP doesn't do too badly in A Stock. The S2000 is probably still the car to have, but the GXP is close enough that I think that the better driver will usually win.

my real car? i dont want to someone is laughing at me! :P i have (my dad) Opel Astra '98, second Astra manufactured and insane car in turnings! yes, it is, an 100HP, not so bad aerodynamics, front drive and less from 1000kg this 4-door beauty goes in turnings with no aids is just perfect car for drifting (but its't not rear drive). here is pic: http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=opelastratg9.jpg i hope if you like it!

My '88 Novarolla is Flickable, (Particularly on slick pavement,) but drifting? I wouldn't call it that...

Back