Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
This isn't the build that we'll get to play as Prologue. If you hadn't noticed it's the same build from E3, the rear view and side mirrors still are not functional, so stop whining. This obviously is meant to be more for showcasing what they have in store.

So are you really expecting the things i pointed out to be solved by the time Prologue comes out?

I expect not, but we'll see come the end of the year.

And what is wrong with that? I rather wait and have superb game!

or if your like me, will wait for a little while, but if delays persist, will go with a 360 and forza. thats called a conquest customer for microsoft. That is something Sony would like to prevent.

or if your like me, will wait for a little while, but if delays persist, will go with a 360 and forza. thats called a conquest customer for microsoft. That is something Sony would like to prevent.

Then buy 360 and forza :) simple

At sony they know what they are doing, I'm sure.

And that's called one stupid person by common sense. Why to buy hardware that breaks up and software that isn't that spectacular when one could wait for a while and get state of the art...

From what I understand in the Car & Driver article they mentioned there was a struggle between PD wanting it to be right and Sony wanting to get it out and prevent this very thing from happening. Prologue was sort of the compromise.

My usual response to this is that they don't want a half-assed and rushed title. Did GT2 and (especially) GT3 mean anything to most of you? Now if it's just a case of gingerly time while they produce a terrible product come release day, THEN it's a problem. Good things come to those who wait. Unless... you want GT5 to be a complete piece of junk that comes WELL short of what expectations (remember my view on expectations?). Do you want a GT that falls short? Neither do a lot of other people.

My usual response to this is that they don't want a half-assed and rushed title. Did GT2 and (especially) GT3 mean anything to most of you? Now if it's just a case of gingerly time while they produce a terrible product come release day, THEN it's a problem. Good things come to those who wait. Unless... you want GT5 to be a complete piece of junk that comes WELL short of what expectations (remember my view on expectations?). Do you want a GT that falls short? Neither do a lot of other people.
GT3 wasn't rushed, nor was it imo half-assed. I honestly think GT3 is the best GT game of the series so far in terms of enjoyment. GT2 was rushed, and that showed, still a damn good game for it's time, but it could have been better and more solid.

Can someone please answer me a question?

In all of the videos I have seen of GT5, the throttle control bar that shows next to the rev counter is usually a light blue colour when you're on full throttle, as it was in GT4, but it goes red every now and then when the car is either not accelerating or the player is changing up a gear. Why is this? I've also noticed that when the player changes down a gear when slowing down the bar jumps up in time with the revs, as if the player is blipping the throttle when changing down.

Why is the bar showing both blue and red? The brake bar is still there on the other side so it can't be anything to do with the brakes!

EDIT: It is most noticeable in this video right at the start and then throughout!

I don't think it's the clutch as I never saw him hit it when shifting down, I believe that has to do with the throttle automatically letting off when the transmission shifts, isn't there something similar in GTHD?

I don't think it's the clutch as I never saw him hit it when shifting down, I believe that has to do with the throttle automatically letting off when the transmission shifts, isn't there something similar in GTHD?

Yep, does the exact same thing in GTHD. As most people have mentioned already, it is either the "clutch" engaging, or it is just "showing" that the car is in the process of shifting.

There is a new HD trailer for GT5:P available for download from the European PS Store.

Hmm, is it the same trailer that was shown at Leipzig? Can anyone with a European account confirm?

Yep, does the exact same thing in GTHD. As most people have mentioned already, it is either the "clutch" engaging, or it is just "showing" that the car is in the process of shifting.

Thing is, it's red when the car is cruising along at the start, and the bar is showing full red with a tiny amount of blue throttle input. It's not shifting gear during that time. Also, when slowly increasing the throttle input I notice that the red bar rises at the same rate as the blue bar, just slightly ahead of it right up until it's filled with blue.

It can't be the clutch because it wouldn't increase with the throttle input whilst acceleration is occuring, and it can't be to do with the process of changing gear because it shows constantly during acceleration! I do like the way the throttle bar blips on the downchange though. :)

i took it as lost drive either through gearchange or traction, drift around a corner at full throttle and you will see the blue drop and the red increase as the wheels keep spinning without doing anything.

i think its just meant to show max throttle:traction ratio, if your in the red you aren't doing anymore then burning tyres and fuel.

This isn't the build that we'll get to play as Prologue. If you hadn't noticed it's the same build from E3, the rear view and side mirrors still are not functional, so stop whining. This obviously is meant to be more for showcasing what they have in store. Many things seem different especially the physics, seems like that is more arcade oriented. Unless that R8 has some AWD system like the Lancer Evo, then it's not the professional mode that Kaz stated it is. Professional is supposed to be based on individual vehicle dynamics, the other mode is more dumbed down for the hop in and play crowd.

Stop whining?

You are the one making one too many assumtions here, he is just making observations.
The fact is. We don't KNOW what the new physics mode is based on.

Is it really gonna be a whole new physics engine? or is it just a physics engine based on the old one with just "added difficulty".

If it's the latter, true sim fans are in for a dissapointment.
Of course we won't know this until GT5:P ships.
So lets hope that the simulation option was still not implemented and it was just something they wanted to show.

i took it as lost drive either through gearchange or traction, drift around a corner at full throttle and you will see the blue drop and the red increase as the wheels keep spinning without doing anything.

i think its just meant to show max throttle:traction ratio, if your in the red you aren't doing anymore then burning tyres and fuel.

I thought this was settled back when GTHD came out? You're all wrong.. it's the assists.. traction control and ASM. The red indicates the throttle that you're inputting, the blue indicates how much of it the computer is allowing you to put on the road at that particular moment. The aids intentionally throttle back power to the tires when it starts to slip. If you turn the aids off, you never see it.

I didn't think people 'round here drove with the aids on. I drove one lap with the aids in GTHD and the car felt crippled. Screw 'em.

I thought this was settled back when GTHD came out? You're all wrong.. it's the assists.. traction control and ASM. The red indicates the throttle that you're inputting, the blue indicates how much of it the computer is allowing you to put on the road at that particular moment. The aids intentionally throttle back power to the tires when it starts to slip. If you turn the aids off, you never see it.

I didn't think people 'round here drove with the aids on. I drove one lap with the aids in GTHD and the car felt crippled. Screw 'em.

Yeah, i'm not really sure with the accelerator/brake thing i guess, i just don't pay attention anymore.

And no, i don't drive with assists on. Assists = no fun ;)

Ah, OK. Thanks for clearing that up! 👍

does anyone know the official release date for the full gt5 game for north america.
I cant wait to get it I am going to preorder it but I would like to know when it will hit the shelves.

does anyone know the official release date for the full gt5 game for north america.
I cant wait to get it I am going to preorder it but I would like to know when it will hit the shelves.
well, GT5P is not released yet so why would the release date for the full game have been confirmed? and if it had been confirmed I would add a year or so on that release date.. ;)

It is NOT true that you don’t see the red bar in the throttle gauge in GTHD when the assists are off. I always play with assists off and the red bar shows whenever I change gear. IMO it simulates the clutch and may very well prove that GT5P / GT5 will support clutch.

I think you see the red bar going up when you accelerate after changing gear because it is occupying the empty space until you’re fully accelerating; it is not going up, it’s simply disappearing.

I know this is OT, just wanted to clarify some stuff that is not true!

RUI

RUI
It is NOT true that you don’t see the red bar in the throttle gauge in GTHD when the assists are off. I always play with assists off and the red bar shows whenever I change gear. IMO it simulates the clutch and may very well prove that GT5P / GT5 will support clutch.

I think you see the red bar going up when you accelerate after changing gear because it is occupying the empty space until you’re fully accelerating; it is not going up, it’s simply disappearing.

I know this is OT, just wanted to clarify some stuff that is not true!

RUI
Not false, merely incomplete. The concept is exactly the same as what I mentioned. The computer is throttling back for you during the gear change. Ever try to change gears in a real car with your foot still pushing the gas pedal? Played a PC game that did it right a while ago.. took me a few minutes to realize what was happening, when my RPMs would suddenly redline every time I changed gears.

Try this: Change gears while you have zero throttle. There's no red bar.

Back