Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
A Few thoughts::

on the delays and people who are upset about them-

Every game is set in milestones. I seems like PD has millions of dollars to spend on hired help to get games done as quick as possible, but thats not the case. They get paid periodically and can expand their employees, but not to the point where a game only takes 6 months to complete. Also, game companies have to announce games and demo's and release dates and what not to create hype for a game.....and because **** happens....sometimes those dates are missed. Additionally.....development time and cost goes up with every new generation of hardware, be it computer hardware or console hardware. There are a lot of factors that go into making a game and by knocking PD for making false promises (which you should knock Sony if anyone because they are the publisher and they are the ones who push PD and make announcements - - - and pay PD!) because they want to meet them as much as we do. Take for instance the DEMO of GT5:P. They said we would get GT5:P in october (japan). They obviously caught a hitch so they had to delay. But instead of just saying that and going about their business, they are still going to give us something, which is WAY MORE THAN WHAT ALMOST ANY OTHER GAME COMPANY HAS EVER DONE WHEN A GAME GETS DELAYED! Especailly when a "Demo" of a game gets delayed. My Point (opinion) is be sad and upset because we wont be playing it as soon as once thought....but understand that PD is not just making up dates in their head out of nowhere for a release and then just slashing it to mess with us. They want that in our hands and they are going out of their way to make it happen. Most companies would just concentrate on make the "Main" game, demo's come after its completed.:)

On GT5:P in North America.

I obviously dont know what they are thinking, however, It seems like with the addition of Daytona (awesome track - 24 hours oh yeah) and some american cars in the demo (viper etc) that they are gearing towards a unlocalized setting. They seem to be catering to an american, european, and japanese market with the demo between cars and tracks and locations....so maybe it will be later than the europe version, but I would guess that we americans will see GT5:P. But that is a big guess :ouch:

PD is such a tease. :rolleyes: They add an american track but may not release GT5:P in the US. Why does that not compute?! :boggled:

I'm having trouble understanding that as well:indiff: It would really make more sense now so whats the hold up?

Some final thoughts,

On the GT5:P Delay: I think it's become quite obvious that PD has forever learned their lesson about rushing a product after the GT2 incident. They are willing to delay a game as often as they wish in order to make sure the final product is complete and perfected. Why get upset about it?

We've been getting delays for GT games for some time now so we should be use to it. Or would you rather have PD be like PGR4 developers in saying that they could have added so much more if only they had the time?

On Daytona: Daytona being in GT5 is huge in the United States. Sure, Spa, Brand Hatch etc would have been nice, for Europe, but not for the US. Ask any US motorsports fan if they've ever heard of Spa or Brand Hatch and 90% would say they've never heard of it. Forget motorsport fans ask anyone in the US if they know about the Daytona track and 90% would say yes.

Face it, Daytona and oval racing in general, NASCAR and the IRL, make up most of the motorsport fans in the US, therefore the inclusion of Daytona in GT5 is HUGE for GT sales in the US. Now that the NASCAR games made by EA are terrible NASCAR fans will flock to GT.

Afterall, how many oval tracks are in GT? Test Course and Twin Ring Motegi Oval. We oval fans finally get one decent oval and suddenly PD wasted their time. They should have added another road course bring the rc total to 51. You guys got the Nurburgring, you got Monaco, you got Le Mans and most likely you will get Spa and others. Don't be greedy.

Daytona is the World Center of Speed

Here is another taste of Racing at the 24 Hours of Daytona Road Course

A taste of the oval

You make it sound like PD is just taking their time for the fun of it. Could it also be that they want this game out as quickly as possible just like you, but also don’t want to release it with a lot of glitches? After all, this is hardly the first time any game on any platform, let alone a GT game has been delayed.
Here's the thing... I don't mind waiting but I don't like being Jerked around either. PD has a tendency to delay and in my eyes there is a big difference between taking your time to get it right and delaying because you're falling behind schedule. If PD wants to do something right, they should try giving a solid release date. Originally we were supposed to get GT5P at the time that we are now getting a Demo. How long will it be before GT5P gets pushed back? How long before GT5 gets pushed back? Luckily, GT5 hasn't had a date set and in my opinion they shouldn't set a date until they can be absolutely sure it will be the actual date of release.
None the less, despite the fact that I loved GT4, I'm not going to forget that GT4 was delayed horribly and yet the final product was still way off par. I loved the game, seriously- loved it. However, I can't deny that after all the delays it still came out half-butted (to avoid cursing) (and don't even try to argue the half-butted part with me, I will not bend on that since GT4 was lacking some seriously important features, such as brake upgrades that make a difference or low speed physics or god forbid an online mode!). So with that in mind, let's not act like PD only delays games for the sake of perfection, if that was the case GT4 would probably have come to us a year behind the date it actually did (which was over a year behind the date it was originally scheduled to release). :(

Why? Because all the 360 games you want are everything we all hope for? Seriously, no game is ever going to meet everyone's expectations, especially with a game with as much fan hype as GT. If you really feel that way you might be best served not buying any consoles or games and sticking with things you can be patient over and have less high expectation for, like your patience and devotion for women. :)

So, what? If I'm not willing to buy GT5 because it isn't what I hope for then I shouldn't buy a console at all? :rolleyes:
I clearly said that GT5 needed to be a real FM2 beater if I was going to stay with PD.

It's true that no game makes everyone happy, and it's definately the case that not all 360 games are perfect. However, neither of those are excuses worthy of allowing PD to jerk me around like they did with GT4.
Delays, delays, delays.
I'm not asking for a perfect game, I'm simply asking for a relatively well developed product delivered in a relatively speedy fashion.

I'm growing tired of not buying a new system for the sake of waiting to see what PD can do. If it turns out that late 2008 is the time for GT5's release then I may as well buy a 360 and enjoy the next year of gaming (while saving up a little cash to buy a PS3).

Bottom line:
I need to see PD release a GT5 that really makes purchasing a PS3 seem like a better choice than purchasing a 360 and FM2 (and that applies to as much as I can think of regarding either game... Online modes, modifications, physics, etc, etc).

Edit:
Btw, Daytona is going to be a great addition (assuming the road course will be included).
Last thing... GT2's 98% glitch was of no real importance to me. Atleast, it definately wasn't important enough to warrant the delays we saw with GT4. I mean, heck, does it really take a full year just to make sure you don't have any obvious problems (which bothers me to think of considering how there were atleast 3 obvious problems with GT4 as listed in this post).

And so I return to this thread on the news of Daytona being featured. It's natural for road racing fans (I'm one myself) to be hateful of the notion of Daytona in a game. But take it from a person who tries to enjoy many types of motorsport- Daytona is one of my favorite ovals. You can't second-guess the history and prestige this track has. I'm talking about not only oval racing, but also sportscar racing. I think sportscar racing used the oval as the track for one of the 24 Hours of Daytona in the earlier years. If we get Daytona's oval plus the road racing circuit, this will be the second-ever "roval" featured in a Gran Turismo game (Twin Ring Motegi's road course is the other), but the first traditional "roval" in the GT series. I downloaded Daytona's road course for rFactor. If we get the road course, let me tell you about it a bit. The infield road course is actually pretty good. You're able to somewhat go flat out around most of the straights and smooth corners. I don't think there is one extremely challenging corner to this course. The real challenge to most infield road courses on ovals usually pertains to having to transistion from the banked oval to the infield road course. It's usually not a smooth entry from banked oval to infield road course. As for the oval course, you're looking at a fairly long course where you can enjoy high speed for a good portion of the race course. Most NASCAR afficionados would be fearful of a racing moment on very long ovals simply called... the Big One. That's where one car crashes, followed by another, and another... until you have a crash collecting multiple cars. It's a no-brainer that you need a fast car to go around a very long oval. Unless... you want to enjoy racing at 150 mph around a 2.5 mile oval. Here's your Wikipedia entries on Daytona: < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytona_International_Speedway >, the Daytona 500: < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytona_500 >, and the 24 Hours of Daytona: < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Hours_of_Daytona >.

How do I feel about Daytona's inclusion? I don't hate Daytona at all. Including Daytona may actually reach out to some fans of Americana racing. Sixteen cars to a track means that while far short of the 43 that take to the oval and many more for the Rolex 24, racing should be exciting. It should be a great race to take on the challenge of drafting. GT4 had a move towards slipstream battling. Imagine having to run a long-distance race at Daytona where it's all about high-speed oval racing. I can probably say that it will be easier to go around Daytona than Twin-Ring Motegi because you won't have to do braking like at Turn 3 of Motegi's superspeedway course.

People applaud seeing more real-world tracks than fantasy venues. What do you think the inclusion of more real-world courses do for GT as opposed to fantasy venues?

[UPDATE] Looks like we ARE getting both coures ( https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2773619&postcount=1661 ). I couldn't care less for Daytona Prototypes that much. As far as "stock" cars? Couldn't care even less. Would be interesting, though.

Thanks to Earth for Post 1,684. Thanks for showing the Rolex 24 that I best remember with the kind of cars that raced this course. Not those Daytona Prototypes of today. I'm usually critical of Daytona Prototypes, but for what they are, they are great for what they are and how they race. There's an rFactor mod featuring the Porsche Fabcar Daytona Prototype. And I didn't know Bob Varsha was part of ESPN for some races. On top of this, I saw my true love race around the track- the Momo-sponsored Ferrari 333SP. Even seen the Panoz Esperante GT1 and Porsche 911 GT1. This was the era of sportscar racing I wanted to see when (then) Speedvision until I really missed out when NASCAR invasion came to Speed Channel. Music to my ears. Sweet stuff.

First, my initial reaction to Daytona wasn't very great, but the more I think about it the more I think it could really be fun. AN oval can be kind of exciting when you see real cars doping stuff on them, and if it has teh road course it can be even more awesome. I remember the first tiem I went to Road Atlanta the small oval across the street (Lake Lanier?) was having some sort of BMW track day and watching that made the oval suddenly seem exciting. Heck, I don't even mind watcing Indy on ovals, but NASCAR stock cars bother me to no end. So, I am actually looking forward to Daytona.

Next, we are all jumping on this demo/delay thing. Could one possibility be that the Home implementation might not be ready because Home still isn't ready? We still don't have a lot of stuff regarding Home and its exact release and if they are making last minute changes GT5:P may be affected and need to be adjusted.

Or it may just be some bug popped up.

As for the perfection thing: I agree past GT games weren't perfect either but Kaz made it clear in the Car & Driver article that he is constantly struggling with Sony to meet their deadlines and his desire for perfection. Most bugs in GT games (particularly GT2 and GT4) appear to be an issue of being rushed. I work in a business and I know how this struggle goes between quality and quantity. People demand perfection but they want it NOW. Something has to give and this mix of delays and issues seems to be just what I would expect. I can't count the number of emails I have in my Quality Control folder and how many I have in my urgent folder, but 9 out of 10 of them are related to each other.

Maybe that is why I don't get too worked up over these kinds of things. I see it in my day-to-day life and my company by itself doesn't make near the revenue Sony does.

Well, my complaints of GT4's delays are purely based on time.
The lack of perfection in GT4 isn't something I care too much about but when I see the perfection excuse used for PD's delays I find it difficult to accept.
The fact is, it wasn't bugs that kept GT4 from being perfect (unless you consider fake upgrades and the lack of an online mode as bugs).

At this point, I really don't feel like I'm asking for too much when I ask for a solid release date.

I'm not asking for the release to be any sooner than need-be. I'm asking that PD set a date and stick to it. If PD had come out originally and said GT5P will not be out until December I would have accepted it without a problem. Sure I would be disappointed about how slow things seem to be moving but I would not have thought much more. However, when PD says we'll have GT5P in Oct then changes it to December I get a feeling that PD doesn't care as much as the rest of us.

Heck, I even get the feeling PD is coming up with bogus dates to hold over the people who complain about the idea of GT5 in late '08. I get the impression that PD says, well, I know the game will not be ready for another year and a half but if we say it will be ready in half a year we can just delay it every few months and drag out the patience of our fans.

The problem for me isn't that I will not get GT5 for a long time to come, that's not too big a deal. The problem for me is that PD seems to continually lie about when we will get the game. It's almost like they want to decieve us. :ouch:

So with that in mind, let's not act like PD only delays games for the sake of perfection, if that was the case GT4 would probably have come to us a year behind the date it actually did
I didn't say it was perfect, and I agree, if every developer waited until their game was "perfect" no games would ever get released. That's why when I see someone saying if a game isn't everything we all hope for then I'm going to refuse to get it and the console it's on in favor of what? Another game that also was delayed and wasn't everything everyone all hope for. That's the bit of logic that escaped me. Thus why if that really is what is bothering you (delays & games that aren't everything we hope for) you may indeed be more content not wasting your time with any game&#8230; I don&#8217;t actually think either is the case, only that is how your reaction to the news made it appear.

So, what? If I'm not willing to buy GT5 because it isn't what I hope for then I shouldn't buy a console at all? :rolleyes:
That isn't what I said, I said if the criteria for not buying any game is because of delays and isn't what "we" all hope for, then "perhaps" you would be better off without any console... as you&#8217;re going to find that the same things apply to most games, including FZ2 which you seem to be hinting as an adequate replacement for your apparent disgust in light of the news of the delay of GT5:P.

I clearly said that GT5 needed to be a real FM2 beater if I was going to stay with PD.
That's fine, it's a personal choice, and of course only you, and not "we" can determine what you consider to be a "real FM2 beater". After all, you'll find that in many ways GT4, despite being nearly three years old still has features, content, and gameplay FZ2 doesn't. In fact some would even argue that GT3 is superior to FZ2 in some ways as well.

I suspect both FZ2 and GT5 will also have features, content, and gameplay the other doesn't have. Depending on how important those unique features, content, and gameplay are to each individual will of course determine how much of a "beater" one game is over another.

It's true that no game makes everyone happy, and it's definitely the case that not all 360 games are perfect. However, neither of those are excuses worthy of allowing PD to jerk me around like they did with GT4.
Then I guess it just sounds like you are taking this news extremely personally, and not applying the same standard to other developers.

I'm not asking for a perfect game, I'm simply asking for a relatively well developed product delivered in a relatively speedy fashion.
I think most of us would like that as well, but I also think most of us would not want them to make too many sacrifices just to get the game out fast. Unless you have some actual facts that suggest PD is just playing mind games with us, and not doing everything they can to not only produce an excellent game, but to get it out as quickly as they can without making too many compromises, then I might suggest that perhaps you might be over reacting somewhat.

I'm growing tired of not buying a new system for the sake of waiting to see what PD can do. If it turns out that late 2008 is the time for GT5's release then I may as well buy a 360 and enjoy the next year of gaming (while saving up a little cash to buy a PS3).
This is the part that really confuses me as just about a month ago you were posting a ton of questions about what games are out on the PS3 and many people offered you a lot of excellent suggestions of games that as GT fans are really enjoying. To which you replied with what appeared to be pleased with the responses you got.

So why now is it that you feel you must wait to see what PD can do before buying a new console? There are plenty of great games and wide variety of games already out... not to mention the 30 or so free demos. If the only game you have absolutely any interest in on the PS3 is GT5, I guess I don't know why you spent so much time posting in the PS3 forums asking and getting a lot of great recommendations for games. Apparently even though many gave high marks to several games, you really didn't care what any of us that responded thought. :indiff:

Oh well. I certainly wont argue over a personal choice, I guess where I had a hard time was understanding your motive and how you apparently have a different standard for criticism between GT and FZ.

However, if you think FZ2 is that great of a game, you should definitely pick up a 360 and FZ2 and enjoy it, as well as the many games that are on the 360 that are also excellent. Just as I'm sure many people have already bought PS3's and are thoroughly enjoying the many excellent games that are currently out on it.

It's a personal choice, but I guess it just looks odd to see someone personally blame PD and use that as a reason to buy another console/game, when that other game not only was also delayed but didn't live up to everyone's expectations, isn't without it's own set of flaws and glitches, and lacks content, features and gameplay from previous GT games.

As for the perfection thing: I agree past GT games weren't perfect either but Kaz made it clear in the Car & Driver article that he is constantly struggling with Sony to meet their deadlines and his desire for perfection. Most bugs in GT games (particularly GT2 and GT4) appear to be an issue of being rushed. I work in a business and I know how this struggle goes between quality and quantity. People demand perfection but they want it NOW. Something has to give and this mix of delays and issues seems to be just what I would expect. I can't count the number of emails I have in my Quality Control folder and how many I have in my urgent folder, but 9 out of 10 of them are related to each other.

Maybe that is why I don't get too worked up over these kinds of things. I see it in my day-to-day life and my company by itself doesn't make near the revenue Sony does.
👍

At this point, I really don't feel like I'm asking for too much when I ask for a solid release date.
You know, on the surface this sounds easy. Let me explain to you how this would work with my company.

1) Schedule a meeting to discuss what a reasonable, solid, unbreakable due date would be.
2) Reschedule meeting because something came up.
3) Reschedule meeting again.
4) Meeting runs over so schedule a second meeting to discuss some more.
5) Reschedule
6) Meet again and debate at length with sales arguing on one side and production arguing on the other. Finally, whoever happens to have eth highest seniority present gives the date he thinks it should be, which doesn't work for anyone.
7) Production must work out how to make due date. Some corners get cut. Finally priorities are set based on the due date.
8) Sales demands to know why it can't be made sooner because that was the promise (this is important) they gave before the meeting.
9) Something goes wrong in production, computer errors, system failures, natural disasters, name it. Each incident creates a domino effect of delays.
10) The product gets finished and handed to sales, who gets confused and loses it or something.
11) Production makes another copy and sends it back to sales.
12) Something interrupts the transfer from sales to the client.
13) The client finally gets the product much later than the due date given and it was no one individual's fault. Had time not been wasted trying to debate the due date it would have actually happened sooner, but instead we have to play office politics and create a delay to discuss not having delays.

Trust me, it is too much to ask of large businesses.

I'm not asking for the release to be any sooner than need-be. I'm asking that PD set a date and stick to it. If PD had come out originally and said GT5P will not be out until December I would have accepted it without a problem. Sure I would be disappointed about how slow things seem to be moving but I would not have thought much more. However, when PD says we'll have GT5P in Oct then changes it to December I get a feeling that PD doesn't care as much as the rest of us.
You have no clue what caused this to happen. Someone could have publicly misspoke, technical issues could have popped up out of no where, something non-PD related, like my Home question, could be responsible.

The problem for me isn't that I will not get GT5 for a long time to come, that's not too big a deal. The problem for me is that PD seems to continually lie about when we will get the game. It's almost like they want to decieve us. :ouch:
I'm not saying this isn't possible, because PR guys live on deception, but from a production to sales perspective it could be a million different reasons and they aren't going to explain them because corporations protect their inner workings more than the CIA.

Basically, if you are tired of waiting or tired of delays I say go ahead and buy yourself a 360. I'll refrain from patience required to wait for a replacement jokes. I just ask you not get so angry and conspiratorial, because many times the workings of business just doesn't work out the way a consumer wants. If it did we would all be paying pennies to run our flying cars on a 100% clean fuel source and video games would be fully immersive virtual worlds.

I SAID IT 1ST.....................

Did any one notice in the top bar In the cities were BRANDS HATCH (BTCC) and SHANGAIH (maybe Shanghai International Circuit), maybe a hint of future tracks?

I doubt it since one of them said SPEEDWAY, and I don't know a city that's call that way.

In the top bar says MONTERREY,SUZUKA,DAYTONA BEACH,NURBURG,SONOMA,LeMans,SHANGAHI

"SO if its true", i think it would look like this:

DAYTONA BEACH - Daytona International Speedway
BRANDS HATCH - Brands Hatch Circuit (Location: KENT ENGLAND)
SONOMA - Infineon Raceway
SUZUKA - Suzuka Circuit
NURBURG - Nurburgring
LEMANS - Circuit de la Sarthe
SHANGHAI - Shanghai International Circuit
MONTERREY - ...............

I think this is a hint of tracks for GT5, since the GT5:P tracks have been mentioned.

Ok, a few things... (this is hard because there are two large post directed soley at me and it will be difficult to address everything from both)...

1) I'm not saying FM2 is perfect, I'm only saying that GT5 needs to be great if I'm to purchase a PS3 over a 360. For that matter, I still do not understand how not buying any console relates to me not buying a PS3 if GT5 is a let-down.
2) I've never suggested a "conspiracy." I've merely commented on appearances (such as the appearance of the situation after repeated delays).
3) I understand deadlines can be difficult to make but much like the deadlines I must meet, I don't accept excuses in place of the product (nor do the people holding me to my deadlines).

To make a more generalized statment...
Digi-nitrate... If you are confused by my interest and positive responses in the PS3 forum a month or so ago then let me bring this to light... My push for PS3 info was indeed related (consistantly) to the idea of having a GT game coming soon as well as a few non-racing titles that are interesting.
At this point, GT is being pushed further and further away, it shouldn't be difficult to understand that these new developments are pushing me further and further away from buying a PS3.
With my main reason for buying a PS3 being GT5, it shouldn't be a suprise to see my disappointment and frustration at this point in time when it is becoming more and more apparent that GT5 will suffer the same sort of fate as GT4.
Furthermore, let's not act as if I've said I will never buy a PS3, I've merely been talking about which system I will get first (which is very important since I wouldn't buy the other system until some time later).

I keep hearing "if you don't like delays and let-downs just don't buy any console."
That's a bad attitude in my opinion.
Primarily because the issue of delays is specific to GT, I'm not complaining about big-little-world or any other delayed titles, I'm only talking about GT5. I also find that opinion to be a bad attitude because the current market isn't without great games. FM2 isn't perfect but it should be good enough to hold a racer over. Halo 3 is just around the corner and I'm sure that's not getting delays like GT. Other 360 titles of similar quality are also currently availible. PS3 titles are availible as well and many are on the way (which will more than likely not get delays in a PD fashion). So please try to keep in mind that my complaints are with PD regarding GT5, not the gaming world in general.

At this moment, I'm disappointed and to some extent offended by PD.
They seem to place little value on their word and seemingly show great indifference to fans. Delays seem more reliable than releases, Americans seem to have no market pressence, innovative features seem to be problems, and general media relations make PD seem more like a hermit than a social butterfly.

I'm still a huge fan of PD's work but that doesn't mean I have to sit and wait quietly while PD pushes off release dates and trickles out tiny bits of info every few months.

The PS3 and GT5 have always been my first choice. I've waited this long to purchase a system because I wanted to base my purchase on the quality of GT5. However, if GT5 is going to go through the same song and dance as GT4, then I see no point in pushing off the purchase of a new system (except for the 360 horrible reliability).

Basically, I'm voicing complaints that I believe are valid.
Delays just aren't acceptable in my opinion.
I waited for over a year in delays before GT4 arrived, I'm not looking to do the same with GT5.

When I say my purchase of a PS3 will be based on GT5 it's no joke, so when GT5P gets delays I can only anticipate the same for GT5 and that doesn't sit well with me right now (as I don't think it should be acceptable to anyone else either).

Btw, if it seems like I'm not holding other developers to the same standard, it is because I'm not currently unhappy about any other developers constantly delaying games.

2) I've never suggested a "conspiracy." I've merely commented on appearances (such as the appearance of the situation after repeated delays).
I didn't mean to imply that you did. I was just referring to your comments about how it seems like PD is lying and it being like they want to deceive us. I know you didn't say they were and just said it seemed like it. I'm just trying to say that is only an extreme possibility

3) I understand deadlines can be difficult to make but much like the deadlines I must meet, I don't accept excuses in place of the product (nor do the people holding me to my deadlines).
I believe part of our issue here is we are technically dealing with two companies, Sony and PD. They have different goals. PD's goal is to make high quality games that stand up to Yamauchi's standards. Son'ys goal is to make a profit and with mediocre PS3 sales they need something huge.

I understand this concept as we have a contractual agreement with a sister company to provide thinsg for their customers within a certain time frame. Currently I am three people short, having tons of techinical issues, in an overtime and hiring freeze, and way behind. I have had to special request with management for overtime and I am now bordering on mandatory overtime for my employees. We are a comparitively very tiny private company without investors to answer to. I can only imagine the issues in a company like PD with a similar working relationship with Sony.

Delays and missed deadlines are unacceptable, but I realize so much goes into it that I cannot even begin to get upset. Disappointed, yes, but not upset to any degree.

Besides, if you want my opinion on the 360 vs. PS3 issue with regards to GT, the PS3 is worth it without GT. And I bought the PS3 over the 360 knowing it was because I wanted to make sure I would be able to play GT. Heck the only game I had on my PS3 for a week was GT:HD.

In regards to stock cars coming to GT5, it'd be great to get our hands on one... we could finally see if the car is even able to make a right hand turn ;) It's funny that in a country with a president and many beliefs that are so far "right" their favorite motorsports only go to the left ;)

OK, enough of the political and NASCAR stabs... in all seriousness, i think that Daytona (with the road course) is a good add to the series. It represents a historical track and should be part of such a comprehensive racing series such as GT. Having said that, i think this is only the beginning of new tracks to be announced... maybe not for Prologue, but i would be really surprised if we don't have several other major circuits from around the world added this time around in GT5. And remember too, this could be downloaded content available later on too.

As far as the "delay debate"... i know we're all dripping with anticipation, but RELAX. It will come out when it comes out. I for one would rather wait an extra 3-6-9 months and have something that is ready to play and a lot of fun then something that is rushed and buggy and i spend more time downloading fixes then playing. Also, since this is the first GT to go online... i'd rather have it running as near perfectly as possible at launch. Honestly i think this "Demo", which will most likely be FREE is basically a "beta test" for PD to check all the online functionality, leaderboards, servers, etc on a smaller scale then if the full GT5P was released. They would then be able to optimize the system to be a smoother transition to the increased usage that would definitely arise when GT5P comes out.

In any regard... i'll take the free demo to at least wet my appetite, try out the new cockpit mode, physics and be ready to dominate GT5P!!!

Afterall, how many oval tracks are in GT? Test Course and Twin Ring Motegi Oval. We oval fans finally get one decent oval and suddenly PD wasted their time. They should have added another road course bring the rc total to 51. You guys got the Nurburgring, you got Monaco, you got Le Mans and most likely you will get Spa and others. Don't be greedy.
Good point. Hell, I don't even consider the Test Course to be an "oval track".. it's just the Test Course. Not really meant for racing.

So as far as I'm concerned, this brings the total count of oval tracks to two. Wow. PD's definitely turning NASCAR, huh? What's that make it.. 5% of their tracks are oval? OMGENDOFTHEWORLD.

Hell, I'm looking forward to it. That might become my new test track for high-speed runs. Definitely more interesting environment than the Test Course, yeah? The one track that makes 230mph boring.

I do find it mildly ironic that they're releasing a demo for Prologue.. I guess that makes GTHD a teaser for a demo for a prologue for a full game? Won't stop me from downloading it, of course.. hehe.

Still waiting to hear American release information. Although I'd understand if the information doesn't come out of TGS. It seems only natural that the TOKYO Game Show would concentrate on Japanese releases.

I really really really hope PD will also be able to add Road Atlanta, Road America and most importantly...SEBRING!!!! I love racing on Sebring when I'm playing Forza 2. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Here's the thing... I don't mind waiting but I don't like being Jerked around either. PD has a tendency to delay and in my eyes there is a big difference between taking your time to get it right and delaying because you're falling behind schedule. If PD wants to do something right, they should try giving a solid release date. Originally we were supposed to get GT5P at the time that we are now getting a Demo. How long will it be before GT5P gets pushed back? How long before GT5 gets pushed back? Luckily, GT5 hasn't had a date set and in my opinion they shouldn't set a date until they can be absolutely sure it will be the actual date of release.
None the less, despite the fact that I loved GT4, I'm not going to forget that GT4 was delayed horribly and yet the final product was still way off par. I loved the game, seriously- loved it. However, I can't deny that after all the delays it still came out half-butted (to avoid cursing) (and don't even try to argue the half-butted part with me, I will not bend on that since GT4 was lacking some seriously important features, such as brake upgrades that make a difference or low speed physics or god forbid an online mode!). So with that in mind, let's not act like PD only delays games for the sake of perfection, if that was the case GT4 would probably have come to us a year behind the date it actually did (which was over a year behind the date it was originally scheduled to release). :(

It's true that no game makes everyone happy, and it's definately the case that not all 360 games are perfect. However, neither of those are excuses worthy of allowing PD to jerk me around like they did with GT4.
Delays, delays, delays.

Bottom line:
I need to see PD release a GT5 that really makes purchasing a PS3 seem like a better choice than purchasing a 360 and FM2 (and that applies to as much as I can think of regarding either game... Online modes, modifications, physics, etc, etc).

Edit:
Btw, Daytona is going to be a great addition (assuming the road course will be included).
Last thing... GT2's 98% glitch was of no real importance to me. Atleast, it definately wasn't important enough to warrant the delays we saw with GT4. I mean, heck, does it really take a full year just to make sure you don't have any obvious problems (which bothers me to think of considering how there were atleast 3 obvious problems with GT4 as listed in this post).

Welcome to the world of videogames, this happens for evry videogame that people want to come out, the developers never, ever get the release date they think they'll have the game done at.
Which is why a lot of developers have stoped bothering giving release dates, because as sure as they are at the time they'll make the deadline, they don't.
Not by a long shot.

Daytona will be a great welcome to the GT series and I will look forward to some great races there. With out a doubt they will have a 24 hour endurance on that track. I to am not happy with the delays. However I can wait until December for a decent pre-GT5.
The future of GT series for me could very well be riding on how well GT5 delivers.

If Shanghai is in it will most likely be a street circuit like Hong Kong than the F1 Circuit, Maybe that was the brief nightime shot we saw in the 350Z GT video a while back that no one could identify...

More street circuits PD!!! I would love a full Vegas Street Circuit oh and maybe some point to point tracks!

Robin

As for the delays its not bothering me at all, Im glad they are atleast giving us a demo, its better than nothing then in December it will come! I would rather they not rush it and get it right...

So, questions: what are the chances of a GT5P US release, and if it comes over here when will it? Didn't GT4P in Europe come 6 months after the Japan release?

Let's not assume that the inclusion of Daytona will make things move towards NASCAR. You have to remember that there are people who really regard certain tracks as being special. We have the term "world-class" for race tracks for a reason. But let's not automatically assume that GT is heading towards NASCAR-ization just because of Daytona's inclusion. Why? There's a little race called the... Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona. You know... has real racing cars competiting in a day-to-night-to-day run? America's biggest 24-hour race? I don't mind Daytona. I think Indianapolis would be an amazing addition. I call it the world's fastest road course.

As far as any NASCAR influence on Gran Turismo... I don't think that's possible. Let's not have the mentality that NASCAR's the best racing series in the world, and that everything else is just boring. It's like when Formula 1 had something about engine rules that seemed more like NASCAR. And Mr. Ecclestone(?) said that they aren't trying to be like NASCAR. As far as Japanese influence on NASCAR, do you think they have a perfect understanding of NASCAR outside of crashes and jackasses who have nothing better to do but crashing each other? Who raced in NASCAR from Japan? All I can think of are Shigeaki Hattori and Hideo Fukuyama. I don't really care much for stock cars, but Indy cars (not to make a wishlist) would be great. The oval racing talent from Japan increases. You have Japanese folks who raced Indy and/or Champ Cars like Toranosuke Takagi, Kosuke Matsuura, Naoki Hattori, and (not from Japan?) Roger Yasukawa. Both Indy Cars and NASCAR raced at Twin Ring Motegi's superspeedway. Indy cars still race Motegi. Would stock cars be good to use around Daytona in NASCAR? It would make sense with this track and the history with the Great American Race. But let's not make this ToCA Race Driver in terms of having real series. Again, I don't care for real drivers and real teams. Why don't we pretend that there are the classic "stock" cars as well as the Car of Tomorrow deal to race with.

Let me look a little closer at the magazine scan from earlier. Some of the different stars seem to locate some other US cities. Seattle is a feature city in GT. We raced New York in GT4. Daytona Beach is featured. The other cities look to be Monterrey, CA and Las Vegas, NV. I'd like to imagine the possibilities of more American cities featured. One star is pointed at around Phoenix, AZ; while another seems around San Francisco, CA. * The San Francisco one probably relates to Sears Point. Thing is, it's in Sonoma, CA. It's still the premiere race track of the Bay Area. But I'd be interested in a street course around San Francisco after saying that I like racing around Pacific Gateway in Enthusia. Pacific Gateway really looks like a course that would look great in Gran Turismo. You can do a maximum of about 200 laps in Enthusia. Of course with no pit stops, it's not real fun or have any element of strategy in place. My fastest lap around Pacific Gateway is somewhere around 1:40 to maybe 1:35. Continuous laps around this Enthusia course in pure race cars would take an estimated 38 laps in one hour of racing. A 2-hour and 45-minute race would estimate to about 120 laps. Or maybe PD would envision a great street course race that features a lot of the many different landmarks of beautiful San Francisco. * Phoenix is a city I'm not really familiar with in terms of city streets. It's more likely that Phoenix International Raceway in Avondale, AZ would be used.

I'll be looking forward to any new information or even trailers and videos. Keep a brother up-to-date, alright?

I believe the star in Arizona represents the Grand Canyon rally circuit, but then you would expect a star for El Capitan, correct? I must admit I'm a bit confuzzled by this map.

Yeah, yeah... you're right. My bad. Ten years of GT and mixing up history or getting facts wrong can get to you. Almost forgot about Grand Canyon. Lot of people would love to forget it, but it's there.

TGS trailer

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/movie/d1192.html
http://cdn.jp.playstation.com/4m/tgs07/sce_gt5p.wmv

4lo54x1.jpg

4msli4m.jpg

4tk72wz.jpg

4q6uh46.jpg

6c7x5cg.jpg

4u0xd2h.jpg

67nsghg.jpg

67g7lf6.jpg

Well well, This just keeps getting better and better. I also noticed the shot with the GT-R proto behind this newer Nissan car, which I assume is the latest GT-R prototype..

That disguise looks highly realistic, but what's the point making it while you can have the one with no disguise. Now I know why they put car magazine and video magazine cover on their website, it seems you can download/buy it thru Gran Turismo TV. Car dealer looks beautiful. The blue lighting reminds me GT Concept Geneva 👍

Back