Pre-release GT5:Prologue Thread Firmware 2.17 mandatory for GT5:P? (and Pictures)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 3,239 comments
Demo of a demo, that is pretty funny.

Looks like I'll be playing Dirt for 6 more months. You guys really shouldn't get to worked up about the timeline to release this new GT game. GT5 will eventually arrive, with all the assumed shortcomings, and some will be really happy, some disappointed.

Have you ever played a game demo and then the final version? Rarely does it make an accurate indicator. If I used this kind of judgement I would not have gotten Formula 1: Championship Edition. Heck, the demos I get from the Playstation Store rarely sit on my PS3 for more than one play because they suck, but many of the games are awesome in their final version.

The simple fact that the demos between Leipzig and TGS show improvements, based on the Gamespot article posted by cudadude2, tells me that nothing you see now can be judged because a month in development can mean a lot.

Right now PD is merely trying to show off the new features and the details aren't finished yet. None of this is a demo of a finished product and saying that anything is obvious is a huge assumption on your part. I would suggest you wait until you see the full version before you begin throwing accusations at PD. I mean, I think the hands should show gear shifting, but I'm not about to accuse PD of mucking up the in-car view because of it, because I know it is far from finished.

I think some people need to relax and wait to make accusations about the final verison of GT5 for when the final version is actually available in any kind of form. It seems like some people want to hate it, and I don't know why.

There might be more to that video than we thought, otherwise PD wouldn't have pulled it from their site, if i'm right it was made from a build that didn't have all the features the current one does.
So in some regards my comments still stand, but as far as the sounds go lets just hope i'm right. =)

Be sure to check out the video's on the gamespot website too. Nothing too different about them then what we've seen before (all Suzuka videos), but still nice to watch.

Looks like there are some new photomode locations in there (stone ruins with meadow grass)...

That are the ruins of the Nurburg. The Castle where the Nurburgring is build around. I recognise the location (been there on vacation).
pic00047_1.jpg

Be sure to check out the video's on the gamespot website too. Nothing too different about them then what we've seen before (all Suzuka videos), but still nice to watch.
Sony also added the new HD trailer for GT5:P on the PS Store for download. This is the trailer that was shown during yesterday's keynote speach prior to the start of the Tokyo Game Show.

As far as graphics I wouldn't suggest reading too much into these videos, especially the ones that have been clearly downscaled from their native resolution. After all, even GT:HD which was completed a year ago looks far far better than GT4 and arguably better than current driving games.

As far as sound, this is always going to be a sticky issue. Not only because there will be a ton of subjective differences of opinion/preferences. Some people like exaggerated engine and exhaust noises often found in arcade style driving games like NFS, other do not.

Also, there are soooo many variables that effect how a real car sounds in the real world. You can take a car and record its sound on a track, come back a month later and depending on the condition of the car, temperature, etc, it can sound very different.

Adding to the variables, there can, and often are differences in engine, and particularly exhaust sounds from two of the same model cars. Who's to say which is "accurate"?

It only gets more complicated when you start comparing "car sounds" of older and especially classic cars, where differences can be quite noticeable.

Then to top it all off... trying to evaluate "car sounds" from internet video clips that who knows how badly they have been compressed or altered, and then listened to through a typical PC sound system, is like trying to judge the quality of different vodkas by tasting them after they have been made into mixed drinks. Really pointless, in my opinion.

Judging on the documented amount of effort and detail PD has shown that they used to record and capture the sounds of many of the cars in GT4 and from what I have heard, GT5 as well, at least we know they aren't just "making it up", unlike the often highly exaggerated car noises found in many other driving games.... but then again, it's also a personal choice, and I completely understand that for many, they may very well prefer those types of car sounds.

More Skylines and crappy AI? Uh... can we be realistic here for a moment?

I saw the Tokyo Game Show video regarding GT5 Prologue. Albeit brief, it's almost surreal to imagine Daytona in a Gran Turismo game. It's around the 1:15 mark of the movie (according to the Flash movie on GT's English website). I can imagine if muscle cars ran some circuits around Daytona. I even imagine prototypes racing around this circuit. *** DAYTONA - OVAL *** The way I best know how to race Daytona is that you'll need to take advantage of drafting on the oval. Daytona is almost like an Autobahn with four turns. I think tracks like this are where you need some great horsepower. I'm talking about Stage 3 NA or Stage 4 Turbo. Since you're not racing a twisty circuit, this is maybe the best place to do your damage in oval racing. I'm not a good oval racer. Problem I usually have is that I turn too hard rather than light steering movements and controlled acceleration. Or let me give you an Enthusia example. You know Speediapolis Ring? When I raced my (then) Mercedes SLR McLaren around there, the car (already heavy) kind of has heavy steering around the oval. I could never find a consistent racing line for ovals with the kind of speeds I'm running. I'm sure you can go flat out around Daytona, but finding a consistent racing line can be tough. *** DAYTONA - ROAD *** I have very little gaming experience of Daytona's road course. All I know is that there are two fast to moderate 180 turns. Transistion from banking to road course can be tricky. The wrong entry will end up spinning you out. A realistic time model would show that since this race is run in late January or early February, there are more hours of nighttime at Daytona than at Le Mans (more daylight than night at Le Mans). I sometimes can't seem to get enough speed on oval portions of a traditional "roval" course. Here is something GTPlanet's Layla's Keeper mentioned about aerodynamics for Daytona:

"John, most teams - ever since the 60's and 70's - have always tried to minimize drag on the big banks. There's a ton of speed to be had there, plenty of clean overtaking room, and you want to put as little strain on the engine at flat-out speed so that lasts all 24hours." -Layla's Keeper from "The 2007 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona" (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=90175) thread

You still need a good-handling car for the road course and a fast car for the oval. Mix and match. Find what works best.

If we get any sort of new purpose-built race cars, I'd love to see some Indy or Champ cars around some tracks. Maybe even some stock cars. The thing I hope for is that people don't get hissy fits because no official NASCAR race cars aren't featured. Only "stock" car in GT history up to this point was the #6 Valvoline Ford Taurus when you race modify the Taurus (which I think is a bad choice of racing modification). I guess the most popular of stock cars in games is likely the Chevrolet Monte Carlo of the late 1990s and early 2000. Need for Speed II Special Edition featured a stock car (kind of looks like a Ford Thunderbird stock car) as one of the cars you can unlock. I only know that because I did a cheat in NFS2SE where I saw that as an available car. Indy and Champ cars are great machines. I admit that most of my love of oval racing is courtesy of the IndyCar Series. It's about fast cars and great finishes. F1 cars are good, but I have a soft spot for Indy and Champ cars. Hell, bring on Formula 3 as well.

Anyone else want to key in on what Daytona's inclusion means for Gran Turismo?

Sony also added the new HD trailer for GT5:P on the PS Store for download. This is the trailer that was shown during yesterday's keynote speach prior to the start of the Tokyo Game Show.

As far as graphics I wouldn't suggest reading too much into these videos, especially the ones that have been clearly downscaled from their native resolution. After all, even GT:HD which was completed a year ago looks far far better than GT4 and arguably better than current driving games.

As far as sound, this is always going to be a sticky issue. Not only because there will be a ton of subjective differences of opinion/preferences. Some people like exaggerated engine and exhaust noises often found in arcade style driving games like NFS, other do not.

Also, there are soooo many variables that effect how a real car sounds in the real world. You can take a car and record its sound on a track, come back a month later and depending on the condition of the car, temperature, etc, it can sound very different.

Adding to the variables, there can, and often are differences in engine, and particularly exhaust sounds from two of the same model cars. Who's to say which is "accurate"?

It only gets more complicated when you start comparing "car sounds" of older and especially classic cars, where differences can be quite noticeable.

Then to top it all off... trying to evaluate "car sounds" from internet video clips that who knows how badly they have been compressed or altered, and then listened to through a typical PC sound system, is like trying to judge the quality of different vodkas by tasting them after they have been made into mixed drinks. Really pointless, in my opinion.

Judging on the documented amount of effort and detail PD has shown that they used to record and capture the sounds of many of the cars in GT4 and from what I have heard, GT5 as well, at least we know they aren't just "making it up", unlike the often highly exaggerated car noises found in many other driving games.... but then again, it's also a personal choice, and I completely understand that for many, they may very well prefer those types of car sounds.

Point well taken! 👍 I guess now that i think of it, after everything is compressed, and finally transferred through the internet to my computer speakers, it does kinda make sense that the quality of the visuals (more obvious than sound), isn't going to be as good. Actually, in GTHD, the sounds were decent compared to GT4. When driving in the first person view, you here more of then engine when driving, but if you decide to look back in the view, you here more exhaust than engine. I went and did the same thing in GT4....you could still tell the difference between the front and rear sounds, but it wasn't as define as it was in GTHD, which in my book, is a decent sound improvement. I know sounds are more important to some than it is to others, and to me, they are fairly important, but if they don't end up being what i expect, then oh well, it's not going to kill the game for me by any means. I'm more concerned on whether GT5p is going to make it to the US at all. Either way, it's still going to be one hell of a game.

Well, Daytona is something in between Motegi oval and the test course, more boring than the former, less boring than the latter. The infield course doesnt look much better either, and i already dread a 24 hour race there.

More Skylines and crappy AI? Uh... can we be realistic here for a moment?
I been thinking that same thing

I even imagine prototypes racing around this circuit.
We must be related because I do too:D
*** DAYTONA - OVAL *** The way I best know how to race Daytona is that you'll need to take advantage of drafting on the oval. Daytona is almost like an Autobahn with four turns. I think tracks like this are where you need some great horsepower. I'm talking about Stage 3 NA or Stage 4 Turbo. Since you're not racing a twisty circuit, this is maybe the best place to do your damage in oval racing.
For sure horsepower helps and a effective drafting partner. We know all too well what happens when you're left high and dry
I'm not a good oval racer. Problem I usually have is that I turn too hard rather than light steering movements and controlled acceleration. Or let me give you an Enthusia example. You know Speediapolis Ring? When I raced my (then) Mercedes SLR McLaren around there, the car (already heavy) kind of has heavy steering around the oval. I could never find a consistent racing line for ovals with the kind of speeds I'm running. I'm sure you can go flat out around Daytona, but finding a consistent racing line can be tough.
its probably just me, but I put smooth yet light steering input. I used to turn hard alot because of being so used to my hardcore driving on road courses, but the smoother your inputs are, the faster you'll go. Qualifying on the oval won't really do much to help as most of the time pratice amongst other cars usually shows how strong you cars is in the draft
*** DAYTONA - ROAD *** I have very little gaming experience of Daytona's road course.
To my knowledge, RFactor Does have both the oval and road course configurations of Daytona International Speedway(although I believe do to licensing reasons, it has a different name), and in "Nascar 2005: Chase for the cup", you unlock Two Crawford DP04s and the infield road course. Try looking for it sometime.

If we get any sort of new purpose-built race cars, I'd love to see some Indy or Champ cars around some tracks. Maybe even some stock cars. The thing I hope for is that people don't get hissy fits because no official NASCAR race cars aren't featured. Only "stock" car in GT history up to this point was the #6 Valvoline Ford Taurus when you race modify the Taurus (which I think is a bad choice of racing modification). I guess the most popular of stock cars in games is likely the Chevrolet Monte Carlo of the late 1990s and early 2000. Need for Speed II Special Edition featured a stock car (kind of looks like a Ford Thunderbird stock car) as one of the cars you can unlock. I only know that because I did a cheat in NFS2SE where I saw that as an available car. Indy and Champ cars are great machines. I admit that most of my love of oval racing is courtesy of the IndyCar Series. It's about fast cars and great finishes. F1 cars are good, but I have a soft spot for Indy and Champ cars. Hell, bring on Formula 3 as well.

Anyone else want to key in on what Daytona's inclusion means for Gran Turismo?
I wouldn't mind seeing some more pure race cars either. And I think that GT's inclusion of Daytona may be a good indicator that the yare reaching out. Hopefully, this will continue and its a good move for PD.

-> Have you guys noticed this:

p31a.jpg

^ Are those slicks on that Viper GTS? If so, each tire will look different on the full GT5.

:indiff:-> I'm beginning to be worried on this, what if all this hype coming from JDM land at that TGS and TMS. And it ends up not coming to Americaland after all. It will be like GTC and GT4P all over again, stupid SCEA!

I'm beginning to be worried on this, what if all this hype coming from JDM land at that TGS and TMS. And it ends up not coming to Americaland after all. It will be like GTC and GT4P all over again, stupid SCEA!
A) There is still no official word on an official NA release, this means there might be and there might not. For those concerned I suspect we will get that answered shortly.

B) As has been mentioned many times before, PS3 is region free. You wont even have to worry about PAL video. There will be many ways of conveniently getting and playing GT5:P for those of us who live in NA even without any official NA release. 👍

gt05.jpg

Demo to feature 7 new (total ??) cars, time attack mode and Suzuka Circuit.

gt06.jpg

gt12.jpg

19796_n20070920_tgs13_06.jpg

Updated cockpit view, new HUD and improved reflection in the mirror.

sce6.jpg

153375.jpg

ITmedia +D
(Lots of pictures from theatre presentation)
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0709/20/news120.html
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0709/20/news060.html

Game Watch
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070920/gt.htm

Dengeki
http://www.dengekionline.com/data/news/2007/9/20/e237d1854b1dcbeefa9b1d53557d8efe.html

Response
http://response.jp/issue/2007/0920/article99440_1.html

Famitsu
http://www.famitsu.com/event/tgs/2007/1210674_1603.html

Props to SolidSnakex from GAF

gt12.jpg

19796_n20070920_tgs13_06.jpg

Very nice!!! These 2 pictures shows a pretty big improvement over the last build of the game. I notice the shadows are a lot smoother and the reflection in the rear view has been greatly improved! I really hope the other gauges (temp, oil pressure, fuel, boost, etc.) are also fully functional on the dash. This game is coming along very nicely! Just hope it'll play and sound as good as it looks in the final build. Come on PD, you can do it!!!👍

wow, i havn't been here in a few days and all this news ia just incredible. daytona in gt5. oh boy i can't wait. they even detailed gatorade victory lane lol.

Wowzers! Daytona in GT?! Cool!
(Yes, I haven't been on here in a while...)

Wonder if they'll throw in any Rolex Series machinery (and, more importantly, if you'll be allowed to run it against FIA/ACO-spec machinery, e.g. Audi R8, Toyota GT-One, etc.)?

As far as delays go, need I say three words: Duke Nukem Forever. End result? I've been playing DN3D [Atomic] for almost 10 years. Think the wait is long? DNF is the benchmark of delays and taking a long time. They killed their own franchise with this greatly prolonged game. Why not read about this specific game before talking about GT5's delay?

Daytona?

Interesting.

I hope the include the sports car version too ...

Anyway, continuing the discussion on delays: why do you think PD delay the GT games? Just to annoy you? Because they feel like being selfish? Because they enjoy making you wait? No, it's because Yamauchi won't release a game until he's satisfied it's perfect. GT4 was pushd back, but what do you think it would be like if it met its original release date? It would be unfinished and rough around the edges, and everyone would complain about it! The only reason they delays is to get the game out the door in perfect condition.

After all, who wants a Ferrari when the only thing under the hood is a Datsun engine?

Demo to feature 7 new (total ??) cars, time attack mode and Suzuka Circuit.

gt12.jpg

I hope that the rev display shown here is also used when you are outside the car, in GT4 is sucked because you didn't see any numbers :grumpy:

And Daytona is cool when they also use the Sportscar track, because another NASCAR track isn't really exiting..

I must say i'm glad to see more real life tracks in the next GT! This can only be a good thing :) Admittedly i'm not a fan of ovals. However i feel there could be some fun to be had with 16 player multi player in it. :) I really hope they make the sound a lot better. I know a few of you guys say "don't complain its not even finished"... but um... imo it is THE time to complain.. once its made its to late to fix it! duh! Sound is 70% of the visual experience. Just take out the audio of any GT5P trailer and watch them, then again with sound up loud! Gives you chills compared.

Like another guy said... sure if they flop in teh area of [insert one of many very flawed areas of GT here] then it wont (hopefully) comp;letely ruin it. As they DO give us new stuff enough to keep you to want it. Just that its always "Misseeddd byyyy THAT MUCH!". And just disheartening is all.

I must admit my biggest desire since GT3 has been two things. Mostly real life tracks, and plenty of them! Why oh why take away prior game tracks! We want ALL of them from all prevoius versions. It is a sequel after all. :) I would really love to have a publically voted track/car creation system when GT5 is out. Every month we get a new track which has been voted on by the GT gamers. Hell they could even do more as once the game is out they are just going to be sitting around lapping up the cash and enjoying much earned rest. But i'm sure some of them love computers like the rest of us and would slave away in their desired DCC app creating more tracks. :)

Cheers all.

I was watching "Video 13" on gamespot from the TGS and noticed that in the weather updates from other cities Brands Hatch comes up after Daytona Beach and "Speedway". We know Daytona is in now... may be a sign that Indianapolis and Brands could be coming our way too!! That would also support the earlier speculation on these cities showing up in the weather updates being track locations.

^^ Do You Race?/Fruitcake --- Daytona also includes the sports car course... was in the famitsu article posted on page 17 of this thread i believe.

"London" has also been spotted on the same screen in different videos (like the early ones, where they talked through the whole menu function).

I'll take a look at that Famitsu article, but I don't read Japanese and my eyes are actually quite bad.

HAHAHAHA! That timeline edit is priceless!! :lol:👍

The updated interior views looks so juicy! You can see the reflection of the glossy carbon fibre and the leather stitching on the b-pillar really stands out, I also hope that all the dials and warning lights fully function! that would be sweet!

Robin

Back