Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,203 comments
Oh jeez, do I really have to dive into the settings just to get this to feel hafway as good as AC? Out of the box it's a disaster! The 720S handles like an unruly boat around Brands. How did McLaren let them get away with this?

As per the McLaren video we released. We polished this car multiple times until McLaren's head test driver told us it was perfect... It handles exactly as he told us it should.

I'm hoping there's some big PS4 patch incoming because right now this feels terrible compared to pCARS1. Is it just me? What settings make this even playable?

I'm hoping there's some big PS4 patch incoming because right now this feels terrible compared to pCARS1. Is it just me? What settings make this even playable?

Slow down man.
What's your setup, wheel or DS4?
I can't download on PSN until midnight I believe, but will be happy to help you when I have it up and running.
I don't believe it's terrible, you may just need to fine tune a few things.

Just had my initial laps with the BMW Z4 GT3 at Monza, doing a bit of Time Trial. I'm stunned by the default, Immersive FFB preset. It feels extremely detailed, more so than what I could achieve in PC1 by using the settings from the FCM tool (to achieve linear FFB) and Jack Spade's 66% SoPLateral FFB files. Now in PC2 I have an even more detailed feel, including the road surface (AC fans really shouldn't complain now), with no clipping and no tweaking required at all. Good job SMS!

The physics of the Z4 is as expected based on pre-release info. The underlying physics is obviously based on PC1, I felt right at home with the car (although its performance characteristics are slightly different), but reaching the edge of grip is a different experience, much more gradual. In general the car also wants to turn more, it is much easier to induce oversteer by simply turning too much, creating a more nimble feel for the car.

In short, my first impressions are extremely positive.

I did encounter something that I think is a bug, namely that simply switching between the two default setups (Stable and Loose) just doesn't seem to work, or I guess I misunderstand how it is supposed to work. Being a wheel user (Fanatec 911 Carrera), Loose gets loaded for me automatically, and when I select Stable instead it does get loaded, but leaving the setup menu results in the settings going back to the ones from Loose. Loading Stable and saving it under a different name does work though.

So you use the immersive FFB preset? Have you changed any of the sliders? Even with some of the dialed back, immersive is way too overpowering on my Thrustmaster T150 (on PS4), making the reasonably stable table I have it mounted on rattle and shake like crazy. Which I'm sure my neighbours were delighted with at 2 AM.
I've settled for the informational preset for now.

As per the McLaren video we released. We polished this car multiple times until McLaren's head test driver told us it was perfect... It handles exactly as he told us it should.

Ian, thanks for getting back to me. I'll try some more cars and tracks but that wasn't a great first impression. I've got an old TVR on tired suspension that hasn't tried to kill me like that. Is there a day one patch incoming?

So you use the immersive FFB preset? Have you changed any of the sliders?

No, none of them so far, except for the menu centering, which I disabled. On my old 911 Carrera wheel the Informational preset is quite good as well actually, but the Immersive has all the same details as far as I can tell, just more pronounced. Indeed, the FFB is stronger like this, but on my wheel not overly so, at least not for me. I've heard that many pro simracers actually drive with very weak FFB, for them I'm sure Immersive would be too much with my wheel. FFB is largely subjective and very much wheel dependent.

So my first impression, holy crap, i never had so much fun in so long. Did a short GT3 Race with @BrandonW77 and i was smiling :lol: Although, i really dont like the Car Management System, its way to clunky, considering when you are in a race, and you have to look down and go through menus just to get to Adjust the TCS. :\

What are you using? Gamepad or wheel? Have you installed 1.03?

Yes, got 1.03 using a T300. I'm off to try some more cars but as I said, the 720S felt like a pig with too little handling (even accelerating in a straight line) and too much ffb (which I can tune out) Been looking forward to this for so long maybe my expectations were too high..

It is officially gone past midnight here in the UK meaning Project Cars 2 Is officially available to buy now..Happy days :D

............ so any news on Project Cars 3 yet?
nope, i heard Slighty Mad Studio going to work on Fast and Furious game but Project Car 3 probably coming out around 2021

Game feels amazing right out of the box.

Any way to tell whether an online race is using the racing license? Did a couple races and nothing changed, still U1500

@Scheer Hmm. Give it another go. I found the 720s felt like a road car. If you're expecting race car feels from a road car (albeit a pretty good road car) then you will be a bit disappointed. It took me time to tune in for it but once you get the rhythm it was a very satisfying vehicle to drive in game - i agree though, the 720s + Long Beach isnt the world's best car + track combo, but I still think its fun.

Maybe tweak the Wheel settings (From what I have read Immersive is the ticket). Try to re-calibrate your wheel in game. Another idea is to check what driving aids are set to - custom or authentic (i dont love authentic - i like having TCS and Stability off, ABS to minimum).

For those using a controller, try out these setting tweaks. It looks as though the default settings are configured weird/twitchy out of the box for some reason. Quite a few people have mentioned this makes a world of difference:

Sorry if it's been asked already, but I'm on pc and the hands/wheel option is greyed out. How do remove them if I can't access the option?

Due to some of the disparity between what some people are reporting with default controller settings, I'm wondering whether the 1.03 patch changed these?

@Scheer Hmm. Give it another go. I found the 720s felt like a road car. If you're expecting race car feels from a road car (albeit a pretty good road car) then you will be a bit disappointed. It took me time to tune in for it but once you get the rhythm it was a very satisfying vehicle to drive in game - i agree though, the 720s + Long Beach isnt the world's best car + track combo, but I still think its fun.

Maybe tweak the Wheel settings (From what I have read Immersive is the ticket). Try to re-calibrate your wheel in game. Another idea is to check what driving aids are set to - custom or authentic (i dont love authentic - i like having TCS and Stability off, ABS to minimum).

I really didn't like the 720s either with neither wheel nor controller. I couldn't even accelerate in a straight line on a dry track without it wobbling precariously from side to side, seemingly less from being so powerful it was on the edge of traction and more from sharing some qualities with a boat.
I'll give it another try tomorrow.
The rest of the other six cars or so I've tried - half road, half race - have been good to great.

I'm surprised the i7-860 is doing fine, at least with medium settings on my GTX 980. Still trying to get used to it.

Can anyone confirm if patch 1.3 is available for PC? When I booted up I think I saw version 1.1 in the right bottom corner. Could be wrong.

Thanks Andy, I switched to the 570S that I'd been driving in AC last night to try to get a fair comparison. FFB settings were Immersive 60,40,40,40 - the defaults on PS4 with a T300 were ridiculously high but I'm still ending up in the gravel unlike AC for some reason. I'm sure someone will come out with some good setups, but after pCARS1 I had hoped this would have been sent out with better, well tested defaults.

Hey Ian, can you please post the FFB settings he was using. I can't believe they were the PS4 T300 defaults :) I so want to love this, but I'm struggling just now.

Very important! If you have a slower graphics card DO NOT turn off v sync! (Seems counterintuitive)

After 10 minutes I was so dissapointed that my 900 dollar gaming laptop couldn't run the game but it was turning off v sync. Do not do this. By the way, mediumish settings run great on a GTX 1050.

As per driving, I always thought the rain, snow, ice driving was a dumb gimmick to sell more copies but oh boy was I wrong! F type svr in rain on all terrain tires is so terrifying! I really like the feeling in the wheel just before it starts to slide, feels just like real world rain driving.

Also, I've been hearing that the AI is poorly balanced class to class and track to track? Is this true? It would be super frustrating having to adjust the AI every single career race

Thanks Andy, I switched to the 570S that I'd been driving in AC last night to try to get a fair comparison. FFB settings were Immersive 60,40,40,40 - the defaults on PS4 with a T300 were ridiculously high but I'm still ending up in the gravel unlike AC for some reason. I'm sure someone will come out with some good setups, but after pCARS1 I had hoped this would have been sent out with better, well tested defaults.
It's not the 720 or 570, but I found the f type svr to be super disappointing with stability traction and abs on. +1 on Turing those off
Edit: sorry for double post

It's not the 720 or 570, but I found the f type svr to be super disappointing with stability traction and abs on. +1 on Turing those off
Edit: sorry for double post

Turns out I DPd too. I thought there'd be way more activity here tonight. I took an extended weekend to spend time with PC2 and I'm still waiting for someone to suggest some decent FFB settings as the defaults so far have been disappointing.

Turns out I DPd too. I thought there'd be way more activity here tonight. I took an extended weekend to spend time with PC2 and I'm still waiting for someone to suggest some decent FFB settings as the defaults so far have been disappointing.

I'm thinking most people just don't have it yet.

Well these stock setups are really so much better than before. I used to like tuning (and pretty much had to in pCARS1) but it seems like now there's less of a need! First world problems..

My trusty Caterham SP/300 handles great without any adjustments, and the engine sounds a lot better now. Damn shame I've gotta go to bed...

Ian, thanks for getting back to me. I'll try some more cars and tracks but that wasn't a great first impression. I've got an old TVR on tired suspension that hasn't tried to kill me like that. Is there a day one patch incoming?

Yes but not for the McLaren 720S. Their chief test driver told us not to touch it. We're on patch 1.03 as of now with 1.04 on the way soon.

Back