Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,203 comments
And it's loading a patch, which is going to take something between two days and fifteen minutes if I read that "ready to start in..." window correctly.

This Steam unpacking is taking a while...the size is roughly twice the size of pCARS 1 or something (especially with the massive number of cars and tracks)?

Really upset to find out that pre-load on steam doesn't actually install the game, just downloads it. Oh well looks like I have another hour while this thing unpacks

Not one for conspiracies... But is it a coincidence the NA PSN got kinda screwed on the pCars1 pre-release also? Granted this time at least we could preorder the digital version. Just chaps my hide when something is said and published, and then overlooked and not admitted when it comes to pass.

Ordered both the Xbox & PlayStation versions of the game, the Xbox version preloaded almost a week ago, really hoping that I could play it on the PS4 Pro, but having something better than nothing.

I'm dissapointed. To steam, 1 hour 59 minutes and 59 seconds is approximately 1 hour. IVE BEEN OFF AN HOUR THE WHOLE TIME! Should have listened to the wisdom that are gtplanet users. :(

That's why I tried to let people know.... was trying to save you that heartache. Sorry.

So I'm in Eastern Canada (EST +1, BST -4 if you're wondering) and it says 'PLAYABLE in 3:50:xx' - midnight basically, not sure the seconds ATM. Does that mean I'll be able to PLAY it then, or it'll start downloading? I actually have a bit of work tomorrow at 4:30 AM, on my way to bed now so I can play for an hour before I head out :D. As a secondary question, will it download automatically on PS4 at midnight when in rest mode? I checked the little box to download automatically. My first preorder, so I'm a bit lost. Plus, don't want to get up an hour early for nothing:crazy::yuck:

According to PCars Twitter, "preloading for PS4 delayed to 5AM BST", so basically no preload because that's 12AM EST.

Thanks for the heads up. I contacted Sony who immediately started finger pointing to the developer. I just kindly said thank you and have a nice day and ended the call because I knew I wasn't going to get a resolution once the finger pointing starts.
Hopefully at midnight the download actually starts.

First impressions after two hours with the PS4 version.

The default car when you load up the game for the first time is the McLaren 720S. It handles like a damn boat, unstable and rocking from side to side and hard to keep straight, with both controller (with most aids on, including stability control) and wheel (authentic aids), and coupled with the default track - Long Beach - which is mostly slow and squareish - it was not a great first impression with the test drive option.

After having switched to wheel for now (Thrustmaster T150) I jumped into the Porsche GT3 RS on Imola. My favourite car in Assetto Corsa, and thankfully it's quite wonderful here too and definitely one I'll be spending more time in tomorrow.

But I was going to try a variety of things before I call it a night so onto snowy Fuji (but I didn't hang around long enough for the light snow to become the blizzard in my second weather slot) in the AMG GT R. Also much nicer than the McLaren.

Time for a short GT3 race then, Ferrari 488 GT3 on the Texas Motorway road course. This car handles like a dream and sounds great, and it was mostly a good four lap race with the AI behaving nicely most of the time (40% aggression), but like we've seen in several videos lately a bunch from the last half of the 32 car field decided to have a pile-up with flying cars in the first corner - and not even the actual tight first corner, but the gentle curve on the oval.

I then decided to unplug my wheel and run the same race with a controller. Pile-up again with the rear of the field, this time a little further ahead in the actual first corner.
As far as the controller handling goes, I'm definitely out of practice and certainly plan on playing with my wheel unless I really don't feel like it some day, but overall I'll say it's an improvement over the original Project Cars (which I loaded up at the end for a brief comparison) but certainly not as smooth and predictable as a semi-sim like DriveClub.
Also, I might have misheard something along the way in the pre-release information, but the settings available for the controller are virtually identical to the ones in the first game. I was under the impression there would be a few different handling behaviours to choose from, similar to how you can choose from three different force feedback types when you're playing with a wheel (as far as that went I opted for "informational". "Immersive", even with some settings dialed back, made my whole wheel table rattle and shake with excessive forces. "Raw" has potential, might end up preferring it over informational).

Finally I did a lap in the new Ford GT on Monza. It was all right, but not my car I think.

There's an absolutely huge amount of car classes if you sort by that filter in the car list. And while many of them only have one or a few cars - while the GT3 line-up is again the most plentiful - there are definitely lots and lots of options.
And that obviously goes for the track list as well, which is good because after many years of playing racing games and sims on and off there are definitely some of the always present tracks that I've gotten a little fed up with (and others I've never learned to like. I've raced on virtual Silverstone for 15+ years and yet I can still never figure out where the hell I am on that track and why there are always another one to three corners more than I think there should be before the finish line).

Call it semantics if you will. So basically... US preload has been cancelled, and game will begin download on release date.
Not one for conspiracies... But is it a coincidence the NA PSN got kinda screwed on the pCars1 pre-release also? Granted this time at least we could preorder the digital version. Just chaps my hide when something is said and published, and then overlooked and not admitted when it comes to pass.
I thought I had a sense of deja vu.

Now it's time I ban myself from this forum until my game is playable.

Oh jeez, do I really have to dive into the settings just to get this to feel hafway as good as AC? Out of the box it's a disaster! The 720S handles like an unruly boat around Brands. How did McLaren let them get away with this?

Just had my initial laps with the BMW Z4 GT3 at Monza, doing a bit of Time Trial. I'm stunned by the default, Immersive FFB preset. It feels extremely detailed, more so than what I could achieve in PC1 by using the settings from the FCM tool (to achieve linear FFB) and Jack Spade's 66% SoPLateral FFB files. Now in PC2 I have an even more detailed feel, including the road surface (AC fans really shouldn't complain now), with no clipping and no tweaking required at all. Good job SMS!

The physics of the Z4 is as expected based on pre-release info. The underlying physics is obviously based on PC1, I felt right at home with the car (although its performance characteristics are slightly different), but reaching the edge of grip is a different experience, much more gradual. In general the car also wants to turn more, it is much easier to induce oversteer by simply turning too much, creating a more nimble feel for the car.

In short, my first impressions are extremely positive.

I did encounter something that I think is a bug, namely that simply switching between the two default setups (Stable and Loose) just doesn't seem to work, or I guess I misunderstand how it is supposed to work. Being a wheel user (Fanatec 911 Carrera), Loose gets loaded for me automatically, and when I select Stable instead it does get loaded, but leaving the setup menu results in the settings going back to the ones from Loose. Loading Stable and saving it under a different name does work though.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back