Proud new owner of a 2008 GLI Autobahn package

United States
New Jersey
So, the time has come again that I start looking for an other car. My current 2008 gti's lease is going to be up in about a year but it took me that long to figure out exactly what I wanted last time.
First off I am in love with my car. My gti got me into the vw scene which has taken over the last 2 years of my life, all of my friends and I go to all the local gatherings/ meets and we all take trips to the big shows. My car has also taught me responsibility, being 17 and having to pay the payments myself was hard but wasn't too bad, though next time I plan of having lower or no payments. It taught me the basics of car maintenance and I learned how to do some more basic work on cars by picking at it and adding small parts.
bdrwr8.jpg

What I am looking for in another car is something with lower payments/ cheap enough to just purchase in cash. Something that will turn the heads with classy looks and/or an amazing sound. Lastly I need something that will keep me coming back for more, like my car now, all I want to do is drive it, and drive it hard. I need something that is fast and generally good handling (coming from a superb handling gti). I really want to stay in the vw scene because it is really like a brotherhood, but if it comes down to it ill get something else. I don't want another new car just because now that I am in college and jobless. So I am looking for a cheaper thrill.

Here is a general list of cars I am thinking about, btw I am about to be 19 and don't really care how practical or stereotype "boy racer" it is...

Mark III Volkswagen Gti 2.8l VR6
xbehzo.jpg

I know everything about this generation. I have literally driven dozens of these cars over the last year or two and they are really awesome little cars. No one expects such a deep growl from such a car and it does pack a punch to back up the noise. Being in the community of vw's I also know all the problems they have and it is a huge turn off. I would want to get one with less than 100k and stock with maybe a suspension set up.

2004/2005 Dodge Neon Srt-4
28s4ge9.jpg

I test drove one of these over the summer and really really liked the acceleration power this thing had. 0-60 in 5.3 ... nuff said. I think it is a very bad ass car that sounds like the civil war is following behind as you drive. What I don't like is, mainly it was a neon. Also if its not stock with low miles it will be a problem. I know how I would drive one and I know if it was owned by a kid and has mods its already seen its prime. Oh and no 2003 models because that was before their power boost.

A few other choices
3rd gen Toyota Mr2 turbo
Mark II Volkswagen gti 16v (VR swap)
2004+ Subaru WRX (loved driving the sti but its too much)
B5 Audi A4 (1.8t or 2.8)
(2003+) Mark IV gti 1.8t

Suggestions are extremely welcome , and basically why I am doing this.

Last edited:
My price range is under 12k for a finance and under 6 your a strait buy. I was thinking about the e36 325 with the inline 6, my friend has one and it is really nice.

A used Audi TT would be a good replacement for a cash buy. It might be a little over 6 grand but I'm sure by the time you find one you would have saved a few hundred more.

08-audi-tt.jpg

A Neon SRT-4? If you can find one that hasn't been thrashed to death I'll be impressed. That car was built for one purpose in life and that was to be flogged unmercifully and just ran into the ground. You might want to pass on that.

A MKIV GTI? It's fat and overweight, not to mention slow. I'd pass on that one too. I think after owning a MKV you'd be pretty disappointed with that.

A Scooby WRX? Depending on your driving history the insurance on it could very well be through the moon. It was when I inquired about it and I have no points on my license.

If you want to stay with VW I'd suggest a Corrado, although it might be hard to find one in good condition or that hasn't been V Dubbed out with slammed suspension, BBS wheels and an extreme tire stretch....maybe even a rusty hood for good measure. If you can find one though they are fairly cool cars, although someone who knows more about VW's can probably comment on their reliability.

Oh man the SRT4... i have so many part's from this car fit to my "standard" neon..

Great car...Very great and rewarding, Pack's such a big punch.

You can find them any where now, For around or as low as 8.000 dollars. Or lower, Depends on where you look.

Nice to find some one near my age also, I'm 19 at the moment. Hit me up man.

A Neon SRT-4? If you can find one that hasn't been thrashed to death I'll be impressed. That car was built for one purpose in life and that was to be flogged unmercifully and just ran into the ground. You might want to pass on that.
*snip
Depending on your driving history the insurance on it could very well be through the moon. It was when I inquired about it and I have no points on my license.

If you want to stay with VW I'd suggest a Corrado, although it might be hard to find one in good condition or that hasn't been V Dubbed out with slammed suspension, BBS wheels and an extreme tire stretch....maybe even a rusty hood for good measure. If you can find one though they are fairly cool cars, although someone who knows more about VW's can probably comment on their reliability.

1. I have found a few examples of stock srt4s with low miles and in minty condition but they are a rare find :ill:.
2. About my record, its bad. Lets put it this way, I don't get my license back for 3 weeks 👎. But by the time my car has to be given back I will have no more points.
3. I really like the corrado (coming from the dub scene I like the bbs with the nice stance look lol, but I want a drivers car) I would assume their reliability will be just as good as the other vw's of that era, which is good unless it wasnt owned by anyone other than an old lady or a mechanic. I have a true love for the VR6 engine but I would love to get my hands on a mint g60.

Last edited:
A used Audi TT would be a good replacement for a cash buy. It might be a little over 6 grand but I'm sure by the time you find one you would have saved a few hundred more.

08-audi-tt.jpg

I have seen some really nice TT's but I always felt they were quite feminine. Even though I hear the 225 version packs some nice kick with the new injectors and what not.

How much to just hang on to the GTI and buy it outright from the dealer?
Enough that I am willing to bring it back to stock so I don't have to make anymore payments for it. And to finance it will take quite some time to finally
own it.

Im sorry for the double post:guilty:

Mk3 VR all the way. VR reliability, sound, power, looks, price, parts availability, comfort (for what it is), fun, did I mention looks?

2.0s go lower.. But there are some ultra low VRs around
3971993329_51e9991d58.jpg

I honestly think mk3 gti's are my favorite generation. I am always on the vwvortex looking at the classifieds and forums. I have quite a few friends with mk3's and they are amazing cars, its like they have personality. I have seen the potential of these cars and they are what made me fall in love with vws.

I can see you're a VW fan, so I guess I'll be an enabler and just suggest sticking with what you already know and love. A 2003+ MKIV (be it a Jetta or Golf) with the 1.8T does much of what you need on a budget. I'm not sure what the used values are on MKIV R32s, but that should be considered as well.

They're still between $15k and $22k for most of the MKVI R32s I've seen on Autotrader.

Enough that I am willing to bring it back to stock so I don't have to make anymore payments for it. And to finance it will take quite some time to finally
own it.

It'll be sad to see the other MKV GTI owner around here be getting rid of their car... But hey, at least you enjoyed it plenty.

Also, what do you think about the early GTIs? Like MKI/MKII.

I think you'll probably be plenty happy with a Corrado though. And it'd be awesome if you could get your hands on a nice VR6 or G60.

I can see you're a VW fan, so I guess I'll be an enabler and just suggest sticking with what you already know and love. A 2003+ MKIV (be it a Jetta or Golf) with the 1.8T does much of what you need on a budget. I'm not sure what the used values are on MKIV R32s, but that should be considered as well.

I love the mkiv r32 but they will still be a bit out of my range unless they are high mileage and need some love. I would take a 1.8t gti but I go through phases were I want a jetta, but right now is not one of those phases. Though I would gladly take a mkiii glx and work on that.

*snip*

Also, what do you think about the early GTIs? Like MKI/MKII.

I think you'll probably be plenty happy with a Corrado though. And it'd be awesome if you could get your hands on a nice VR6 or G60.
mki is way too old for a dd, and even mkii is pushing it, the only one i would get is a fresh 16v or maybe a clean vr swap. I do love the raddo though:tup:

First updated list of many:
Dodge Neon SRT-4 (2004-2005)
VW GTI/GLX VR6 (mark3)
VW GTI 16v (mark2)
VW Corrado VR6 or G60

and a little eye candy...
s3mwsh.jpg

ek2id0.jpg

2n58he.jpg

and one of me and my friends on the way to fall show and go 2009 (day I lost my license)
dp8u2r.jpg

Last edited:
Go for the MKII GTi, it's FWD equivalent to Miata performance-wise. equal power, weight, acceleration.. without the girly stigma.

I really like the mkii gtis but as a daily I have a feeling its going to need a lot of upkeep to keep it going. Another thing I wouldnt mind getting is a mkiii 2.0 gti or golf sport, they go super low and wont get me into trouble like the VR6 would. 2.slows go on forever.

Last edited:
Eh, thanks for the suggestion but I loath Focus's for some reason plus, as compared to my car its pretty slow. I raced one and it didnt even come close.

mki is way too old for a dd, and even mkii is pushing it, the only one i would get is a fresh 16v or maybe a clean vr swap. I do love the raddo though:tup:

I guess there's nothing wrong with going after what you love. 👍

Eh, thanks for the suggestion but I loath Focus's for some reason plus, as compared to my car its pretty slow. I raced one and it didnt even come close.

If you're not looking at them just because you don't like the Focus, I'd urge you to take a look at an SVT. No, they're not that quick in a straight line. My buddy's dad has one, and the thing handles incredibly. Even riding in the back seat, you feel glued to the road. It's like a go-kart. I bet stock vs. stock, an SVT Focus could absolutely waste a MKV GTI in the autocross. It's that good.

I don't want to see you leaving the VW club or anything anytime soon, but it is that good that I think it's definitely worth at least a look. Unless you're opposed to the SVTs. Then there's not that much I can say.

Hmmm theres just something about the focus I couldn't do, Im not saying its a good car but I wont be a part of the vw scene anymore and I love it because its like a family. I would only give it up for an srt4, evo or sti.... or 6.0 gto... Basically all of my boy hood crushes.

Snag a low mileage Corrado. They are awsome, one of my neighbors has one and I drool everytime I walk past it. :D

I blame the driver. SVTF's are more than a match for a GTI stock vs stock. Comes down to the driver.

2. About my record, its bad. Lets put it this way, I don't get my license back for 3 weeks 👎. But by the time my car has to be given back I will have no more points.

Don't even bother looking for a "hot" version of any car and just forget WRX's exsist because with your age and driving record you'll never afford the insurance.

JCE
Don't even bother looking for a "hot" version of any car and just forget WRX's exsist because with your age and driving record you'll never afford the insurance.

:( Well i took the rex off the list but i cant give up all hope. I cant spend my money on something that wont make me smile.

I think my best bet is to pick up a markiii gti with a solid motor and make it a daily driver/ continuous project car. But I have car a.d.d. and I go back and fourth with cars but always with in vw.

Last edited:
:( Well i took the rex off the list but i cant give up all hope. I cant spend my money on something that wont make me smile.

I think my best bet is to pick up a markiii gti with a solid motor and make it a daily driver/ continuous project car. But I have car a.d.d. and I go back and fourth with cars but always with in vw.

No... Find a MkIII base done up as a GTI clone with a decent swap of some sort :P

Cheap(er) insurance is good, no?

Umm...I'm probably missing something here, but how do you sell a leased car? It's not 'technically' yours, is it? Unless you're buying out the lease, in which case why don't you just keep the car? Or is the 'sale' just buying out the lease?

I'll have to say get a Mk II/III or something of that sort, and build it as you go along. I would imagine with your history, insurance for any of the 'fast' cars you listed would be through the roof. Insurance companies wouldn't touch you over here, but I'm guessing the process might be different Stateside.

Back