Proud new owner of a 2008 GLI Autobahn package

Im just asking the buy out so someone who buys it would basically buy out the car and then they would own it. About the insurance, im scared. Im taking a class to take of 2 points but im still going to have 4 after that so its going to be rough, i guess if worst comes to worst i wont drive for a while.

Im just asking the buy out so someone who buys it would basically buy out the car and then they would own it. About the insurance, im scared. Im taking a class to take of 2 points but im still going to have 4 after that so its going to be rough, i guess if worst comes to worst i wont drive for a while.

Are you sure this is a good idea?

With VW's subvented leases, chances are excellent that you are upside down on the true market value of the car. In other words, your lease buyout is probably more than what anyone is willing to pay to purchase it.

If it isn't, then one of two things will be true: a) VW set the residual value on your car very conservatively (extremely unlikely) or b) you subsidized your own lease rate by paying too much cash up front.

I would consider trying to get someone to take over your lease instead of buying your car outright. Try swapalease or similar service.

But unless there is some strong external pressure financially for you to get out of the lease, the smartest thing to do is to probably just stay in your car and enjoy it.

M

I have tried to get my friend to take over the lease 2 months ago. It didnt work because his parents didnt have perfect credit so VW denied them. The buyout on the car is around 17k and thats what a car like mine seems to be going for. So I will end up breaking even. Which isnt necessarily bad because i wont have payments and I will be able to save my money for a car with out payments and then save up for my future. I really like my car but just dont like having monthly payments. If I cant sell it Ill end up giving it back at the end of the lease and just saving for a lower price car.

*UPDATE*
Okay so I may or may not be selling my car to a friend at some point soon but I don't know whats going on so lets just say I am no longer selling my car at the moment but I am still looking around partly to keep me busy and partly to keep me on the ball for when my lease is up.

I am trying to take a step back and pretend I am not in the vw scene and be more unbiased about my choices and look at a broader range of cars. Its hard to imagine myself outside the vw community that I know and love but if I truly am a car enthusiast it wont matter.

Heres a little short list of (reasonable) cars I have always wanted to own.
-Subaru Imprezza WRX (pre 2008)
-BMW 3 series e36, e30
-Chevrolet Camaro (4th gen non v6)
-Ford Mustang gt (have soft spot for fox bodys)
-Volkswagen Gti/Jetta Vr6 mark3
-Toyota Mr2 2nd gen
-Nissan 300zx
-Nissan 240sx
-Honda civic si (various years:scared:)
-Honda Del sol
-Audi a4 B5

Some cars that are more of a reach and would be horrid on insurance.
-Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Xiii
-Subaru Sti (pre 2008)
-Dodge SRT-4
-Chevrolet Corvette C4
-Pontiac Gto (preferably LS2)
-Ford Mustang Cobra

suggestions? Ill be more open minded this time I promise.:sly:

What kind of budget are you on, & how much can you stretch on maintenance costs? The Audi & the BMWs will need some thorough check overs when you look at them because it's too easy to get one & end up leaving it in a shop.

Sad to see the GTI go...

When I was looking at sub-17k cars, the top of my list was the E36 M3, WRX, Mazda3 and IS. You can probably get into any of those (except the WRX) with a semi reasonable insurance compared to other sporty cars.

Also, any interest in selling your parts? I'm not looking that seriously into aftermarket parts until I get a decent income, but if you can offer some good deals I might be interested...

Heres a little short list of (reasonable) cars I have always wanted to own.
-Subaru Imprezza WRX (pre 2008)
-BMW 3 series e36, e30
-Chevrolet Camaro (4th gen non v6)
-Ford Mustang gt (have soft spot for fox bodys)
-Volkswagen Gti/Jetta Vr6 mark3
-Toyota Mr2 2nd gen
-Nissan 300zx
-Nissan 240sx
-Honda civic si (various years:scared:)
-Honda Del sol
-Audi a4 B5

In bold are the ones that I'd get from that list, to which I'd also be tempted to add the Merc C-Class given that you have an A4 and a 3 Series on there. The W202 first-gen C-Classes are quite nice cars, not that sporty for the most part but well built and decent lookers, and they come with some good engines too.

Sad to see the GTI go...

When I was looking at sub-17k cars, the top of my list was the E36 M3, WRX, Mazda3 and IS. You can probably get into any of those (except the WRX) with a semi reasonable insurance compared to other sporty cars.

Also, any interest in selling your parts? I'm not looking that seriously into aftermarket parts until I get a decent income, but if you can offer some good deals I might be interested...

I really don't like the mazda3, something about the people who drive it around my area and the lack of personality it seems to have it a big turn off. However the wrx and the m3 I have always really liked, and actually I don't necessarily only want a m3 I would gladly take a 325 as long it has the I6:tup:. I haven't looked into the IS too much, I think Im going to look into it right now actually :).

If you wanna buy parts I do have a few but I dont want to sell them until I am getting closer to trading in my car. I will keep you on top of my list:).

In bold are the ones that I'd get from that list, to which I'd also be tempted to add the Merc C-Class given that you have an A4 and a 3 Series on there. The W202 first-gen C-Classes are quite nice cars, not that sporty for the most part but well built and decent lookers, and they come with some good engines too.
I need a stick shift:tup:

Yeah you might wanna take off the evo then.
Well if I magically get a good job in the meantime I.... You know what...... A BOY CAN DREAM CAN'T HE!

Ah. Unlucky, we got them with a stick in the UK :D
Well aren't you lucky.

After looking up the Lexus Is200/300 I feel that it is a good candidate. Class and sporty and shouldn't have a stereotype of who should be driving it, even though when i think of it i think of some rich kid who's daddy got it for them, but thats besides the point. Looks like a sweet car with lots of potential.

After looking up the Lexus Is200/300 I feel that it is a good candidate. Class and sporty and shouldn't have a stereotype of who should be driving it, even though when i think of it i think of some rich kid who's daddy got it for them, but thats besides the point. Looks like a sweet car with lots of potential.

:sly:

In all seriousness though, I quite like the IS200.

:sly:

In all seriousness though, I quite like the IS200.

Tommy Hillfinger.... I'll just get hammered on my own.... hahhaha good stufff... I Agree the Lexus IS is a nice car.

I was also thinking of a mark5 Jetta wolfsburg (comes with 2.0t), I figured a 08 in a year or so would be relatively cheaper. The only thing is it wont be much different that the gti, just 4 doors and a trunk. I would however be able to transfer all my parts over onto the jetta.

Put on some sport springs and a new front end and you have an instant GLI.

Thay are kind of touchy and a bit expensive. Between the ancient WRX and even more ancient M3 and the IS, the youngest of the crowd, it seems that the IS is probably the car you'll have to be most careful with, especially with a manual. They're more expensive and they aren't without their faults. But they are pretty awesome if you can find a good one and can stand going from driving a VW to driving a VW.

You hate the GTI that much? I'd be happy to be keeping basically the same car if I was getting rid of the car only because of the payments...

RE: MKIII VW GTI VR6 and Jetta GLX VR6

Going from an MKV to an MKIII is going to be like night and day. Not that there is anything wrong with the car specifically, its just... Not as nice. Grab one thats a '96-'99 and I think you'd be in fair shape, but these are still going to be well-worn cars by now. For the money, especially when looking at something like a GLX VR6, I'd say that you would be way better off looking at something like a MKIV GLX or GLI 1.8T... You can find '03+ models for well under $10K these days, all of which are typically the most-reliable, typically least-prone to total failure.

You hate the GTI that much? I'd be happy to be keeping basically the same car if I was getting rid of the car only because of the payments...
No, I love my car to death but I want to be able to experience something different. Maybe in the future I would get another mark5 but after my car I want to get behind the wheel of something different and work on that. Without the lease payments and lack of title I would be able to buy and sell cars easier after a while and be able to try more cars unless I find something I love enough were I would keep it for countless years.
RE: MKIII VW GTI VR6 and Jetta GLX VR6

Going from an MKV to an MKIII is going to be like night and day. Not that there is anything wrong with the car specifically, its just... Not as nice. Grab one thats a '96-'99 and I think you'd be in fair shape, but these are still going to be well-worn cars by now. For the money, especially when looking at something like a GLX VR6, I'd say that you would be way better off looking at something like a MKIV GLX or GLI 1.8T... You can find '03+ models for well under $10K these days, all of which are typically the most-reliable, typically least-prone to total failure.
The mark3 is a very different car than the mark5. No it doesn't have the many creature comforts and it probably would be older and more worn but its a great base for a project and have a large community and huge potential. I have driven everything from stock vr's to 450hp vrt's and I love them all equally. I don't know why but I kinda fell for mark3's a long time ago, and basically got the ball rolling with my obsession for VAG cars in general. A kid around the block from me had (still has) a black mark3 gti ever since I was about 14 or 15 and I've seen it transform into from a beat up bucket to a clean and classy built car. Even when it was half primer with 3 different oem wheels and a rattly exhaust I fell in love with the model. The sound and just the energy it puts off. I don't know but its definitely something I would love to own. Plus the amount of really nice things you can do to it for relatively cheap these days are countless. The mark3 section on vortex is endless.
There is nothing wrong with the mark4 but I don't feel the same vibe with them. Mind you I still really like them and there great cars (almost got a '05 tornado red 1.8t gti in early '08). Plus the mark3 vr's always beat out on the kinda chubby mark4 1.8ts.

Get a Fox Body, or an SN95 GT. (Mustang)
Sorry for the late response, but if I find a decent adult owned fox body (especially notch back) I will snatch it up with out hesitation. Last January a sweet old lady whom I had the pleasure of delivering her her weekly pepperoni pizza to offered me a extremely low price on a original owner dark green 1992 fast back in absolute mint condition:drool:. It didn't even matter to me it was an automatic. Her husband owned it and she said she wants him to sell it because it doesn't get driven anymore. It had something like 50k on it which is really low for being about 16 years old (at the time). I would have bought it at the time but I have no room in the driveway with my gti and my parents cars AND I figured it wasn't worth it because I would probably have to much fun with it and lower its value AND I figured when I got into college I would neglect it and also have not money for it (wouldn't you know I was right). So I let the old man keep it and I probably saved the mustang from depreciation and many more miles.

If you love your VW stuff then stick with it. You can probably find older GTIs in decent shape without too much trouble. But you're going to have to get used to driving a car that's not of the highest quality, unlike your current one. You're going to have to...fix things. It's not often you find anything older than a few years that doesn't have something wrong, whether it's faded letters on the dash or something quite a bit more complicated.

Once you start fixing stuff you'll be a real part of the VW/car scene in general. Even the nicest cars you see have their fair share of problems.

If you love your VW stuff then stick with it. You can probably find older GTIs in decent shape without too much trouble. But you're going to have to get used to driving a car that's not of the highest quality, unlike your current one. You're going to have to...fix things. It's not often you find anything older than a few years that doesn't have something wrong, whether it's faded letters on the dash or something quite a bit more complicated.

Once you start fixing stuff you'll be a real part of the VW/car scene in general. Even the nicest cars you see have their fair share of problems.
I know. First off if something went wrong on my gti I wouldn't know were to start. Its pretty much like a maze in there. Ive always been a gear head and in a way I want to get my hands dirty. I know pretty much all the problems the mark3 generation has and MOST of them are things I can do, and all the rest I would be glad to learn. Who knows maybe I will learn a few things I never thought I could do. Plus I have plenty of friends who have a lot of experience with them so help wouldn't be too far.

Sorry for the late response, but if I find a decent adult owned fox body (especially notch back) I will snatch it up with out hesitation. Last January a sweet old lady whom I had the pleasure of delivering her her weekly pepperoni pizza to offered me a extremely low price on a original owner dark green 1992 fast back in absolute mint condition:drool:. It didn't even matter to me it was an automatic. Her husband owned it and she said she wants him to sell it because it doesn't get driven anymore. It had something like 50k on it which is really low for being about 16 years old (at the time). I would have bought it at the time but I have no room in the driveway with my gti and my parents cars AND I figured it wasn't worth it because I would probably have to much fun with it and lower its value AND I figured when I got into college I would neglect it and also have not money for it (wouldn't you know I was right). So I let the old man keep it and I probably saved the mustang from depreciation and many more miles.
A 5.0 notch is a rare sight these, most of them have been turned into drag cars long ago. Personally I'd go for the SN95, but that's just me loving the looks of it better, and being raised in them.

You should see if they're still selling ;)

I wanted to buy a 1998 gt with 60k when I first got my license and it was only 4 grand but it was in a front end collision and the airbags had to be replaced and the probability of frame damage was high. So my dad didn't let me. Probably a good decision but at the time I really wanted it :(.

For 4 grand you can find '94-'95s and maybe a '96 GT. Be aware though, the Mustang was using a 5.0 for 94 and 95, but switched to the 4.6 for '96. The 4.6 in non-PI(read: pre-1999 GT heads) is less fun than the 5.0. It's got the same power, but it comes on higher up in the rev range.

Hmmm, thats interesting. I knew about the 5.0 and the 4.6 years but after that I didn't know much else about the. I guess I will shoot for the 5.0 if I get a pre-99 gt. I would just get the newer SN95 model mustang because they are getting pretty cheap now, especially because of the gas prices.

Back