Proud new owner of a 2008 GLI Autobahn package

I'd be careful around the 3000GT, the 300ZX and the MR-2 to a lesser extent. It's going to be hard to find one of those that hasn't been trashed on and on its way to the junkyard.

First choice from the above list: VR6. Second choice: MR2.

I like that generation of Camaro but I wouldn't personally go for the convertible. Even with a V8 it's a bit "Barbie & Ken"...

Honestly I'd stay away from the 'vert SN95s, they don't look toooo great in my eyes. I don't need to re-harp my love for them ;)

The Camaro, I drove a black on black '93 Z28 'vert and absolutely loved. If it wasn't leaking oil (dripping onto the exhaust and burning) I'd have bought it right there. Loved driving it, looks great top down, sound is sweet, and that LT1 HAULS!

So basically, if you're gonna drop some money on mods, I'd get the Mustang (better sound, nearly as fast, better build quality). But if you want to keep it stock, go for the Camaro (Better stock performance, same mpgs)

If he's gonna play the modding game, the 4th Gen. Camaro is easily more accessible & has an extremely large variety of parts. With the Mustangs of that Gen., the only fast ones I see & read about are your usual Cobras/Termis. Never seen anyone really go all out on a GT of the era.

If he's gonna play the modding game, the 4th Gen. Camaro is easily more accessible & has an extremely large variety of parts. With the Mustangs of that Gen., the only fast ones I see & read about are your usual Cobras/Termis. Never seen anyone really go all out on a GT of the era.
I have however seen a lot of people go all out on a 4.6 2v PI (99-04 GT motor). All he has to do to convert to that I believe is a head swap, and the computer.

I know the Chevys have the bigger aftermarket there, but I prefer the Fords. If he's got money to mod, the Ford will give him as much performance for just a little more, and sound a lot better.
Pre-96 GTs get done up rather often because the mechanical bits are the same as effectively 1979-1993.

'94-'95 GTs - Still rollin' in a 5.0 :cool:

I have however seen a lot of people go all out on a 4.6 2v PI (99-04 GT motor). All he has to do to convert to that I believe is a head swap, and the computer.

Head and intake, actually, and for the price of it you could find a Mark VIII with bad air-ride and a bad transmission to use for a DOHC swap.

I know the Chevys have the bigger aftermarket there, but I prefer the Fords. If he's got money to mod, the Ford will give him as much performance for just a little more, and sound a lot better.
Sounding better heavily depends on the exhaust. I've heard some nice Mustangs, & I've heard some really god awful ones that attempted a straight pipe exhaust. Sound comes down to the modifications.

As for the bang per buck, don't know why you'd spend a little more for the same performance. Like I said, the Camaro has a gigantic aftermarket variation in comparison with the Mustang GT. All Camaros take are usually heads, mild cams, decent exhaust with a good tune & you're looking at a pretty quick car in the QTR.

As a former VR4 owner I can both recommend and not-recommend one. Here's why...
Great all-around grand tourer, makes a very very good noise (twin turbos FTMFW), looks great inside and out and of course can be a reliable car if taken care of. HOWEVER, the bad side is they are expensive to repair (don't ask about the suspension...), hard to find (VERY small amount of VR4's made it to the US), harder to find with low mileage and unfortunately they are expensive with that low mileage. I'd guesstimate that well over half are either wrecked, abused, neglected (maintenance) and otherwise in bad nick.

Chances on finding a good condition, low mileage (less than 50k), all maintenance records and reasonably priced VR4 is probably next to impossible. Expect to pay $9-13k for a '91-93, $13-16k for a '94-96 and over $18k for a '98 and well over $20k for a '99.

Awsome car if you can find one cheap and in good shape but you probably won't. I'd spend my money on a 300ZX TT or a '93 SVT Cobra. You can find a good condition SVT Cobra for less than $10k.

And please dear god if you get a 4th gen Camaro Z28 PLEASE leave the rectangle exhaust tips and don't do the hideously boring, overdone and retarded 3" or larger circular tips. GOD I hate that.

Okay, where to begin?:drool:
I'll wait for Keef to abuse the SW MR2.

But I'll abuse the 4th gen and Fox 'verts. (Yeah yeah you're looking at an SN95, it's still a Fox)

Avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid. Chassis flex is bad enough in the case of the 4th gen and gets worse with the 'vert, same with the Mustang although to a lesser degree.

Well with the camaro a t-top is an option too but with both the stang and the camaro I really like the idea of dropping the top on a nice day and cruising around with the gf. Chassis flex I know is a major thing to think about but with both I don't think I would really be trying to build a race car, maybe something along the lines of air filter, anti-roll bars, exhaust and what have you but nothing like a track monster or anything.

Targa Tops I can understand, but why so keen on convertibles? A 300ZX and 3000GT will very likely be very high maintenance. You can't afford an LS1 Camaro targa top?

To the first part see above. I have been worrying about that but I will NOT buy something beat on or modified. I figure if it was adult owned (carfax to back that up) I shouldn't have extra problems besides regular up-keep.
I would rather an lt1 mainly because I like the style better. And my friend has an ls1 z28 and I want something a little different than him.

If you're going the 3000GT route, grab a VR4. The SL's are all heavy & with just above par performance. VR4s, though, will make for some up-and-go fun.

After further research on a 3000gt specific forum I basically narrowed it down to a VR4 exclusively.

I'd be careful around the 3000GT, the 300ZX and the MR-2 to a lesser extent. It's going to be hard to find one of those that hasn't been trashed on and on its way to the junkyard.

I am picky with the upkeep of a car, I will not settle for some abused and tired old car.

First choice from the above list: VR6. Second choice: MR2.

I like that generation of Camaro but I wouldn't personally go for the convertible. Even with a V8 it's a bit "Barbie & Ken"...

I can be a Ken... I already got my Barbie :)
2qsxa8w.jpg

Honestly I'd stay away from the 'vert SN95s, they don't look toooo great in my eyes. I don't need to re-harp my love for them ;)

The Camaro, I drove a black on black '93 Z28 'vert and absolutely loved. If it wasn't leaking oil (dripping onto the exhaust and burning) I'd have bought it right there. Loved driving it, looks great top down, sound is sweet, and that LT1 HAULS!

So basically, if you're gonna drop some money on mods, I'd get the Mustang (better sound, nearly as fast, better build quality). But if you want to keep it stock, go for the Camaro (Better stock performance, same mpgs)

I think I am definitely leaning more towards the lt1 camaro:tup:. Awesome cars and one of my closest friends has a 98 ls1 convertible, and i must say it does haul. I got it sideways at 45mph+ on a little run against a integra with a fart can

Sorry for double post. I missed one :)
JCE
As a former VR4 owner I can both recommend and not-recommend one. Here's why...
Great all-around grand tourer, makes a very very good noise (twin turbos FTMFW), looks great inside and out and of course can be a reliable car if taken care of. HOWEVER, the bad side is they are expensive to repair (don't ask about the suspension...), hard to find (VERY small amount of VR4's made it to the US), harder to find with low mileage and unfortunately they are expensive with that low mileage. I'd guesstimate that well over half are either wrecked, abused, neglected (maintenance) and otherwise in bad nick.

Chances on finding a good condition, low mileage (less than 50k), all maintenance records and reasonably priced VR4 is probably next to impossible. Expect to pay $9-13k for a '91-93, $13-16k for a '94-96 and over $18k for a '98 and well over $20k for a '99.

Awsome car if you can find one cheap and in good shape but you probably won't. I'd spend my money on a 300ZX TT or a '93 SVT Cobra. You can find a good condition SVT Cobra for less than $10k.

And please dear god if you get a 4th gen Camaro Z28 PLEASE leave the rectangle exhaust tips and don't do the hideously boring, overdone and retarded 3" or larger circular tips. GOD I hate that.

I know its going to be tough to find a decent condition VR4 for a decent price but nothings impossible and if thats what I decide I want you better believe I'll figure something out. Plus on all different forums people are always trying to get rid of cars for lower prices due to economy and bills or what not.
Don't worry I plan on modifying the headers and maybe a new X pipe or whatever its called to avoid the gay round tip exhaust which my friend has and I want to rip off every time I see it.:yuck:

I know this is a little late for suggestions and it has probably been mentioned already, but have you thought about an E36 M3? From what I have seen around me, they can be bought in nice condition with decent miles for a good price. I don't know if you are into BMW's or not, but since you are looking at rear wheel drive sports cars I thought I might as well throw the M3 idea out there.

I know this is a little late for suggestions and it has probably been mentioned already, but have you thought about an E36 M3? From what I have seen around me, they can be bought in nice condition with decent miles for a good price. I don't know if you are into BMW's or not, but since you are looking at rear wheel drive sports cars I thought I might as well throw the M3 idea out there.

Oh trust me I have thought about it but I have a feeling if its going to be cheap I am going to need to put a lot of work into it, more so than the other choices, I could be wrong though. I have thought of something more along the lines of a e36 non-m3 model preferably a four door. For some reason I only seem to find ones with near 200k miles on them that are near my price range:crazy:. Not saying they wont be a good car because my friend has one that has been his his family since new in 93 and it has 200k+ and still proves to be as venerable as ever.

Just a heads up, everyone I know around here with an LT1 Camaro has had endless reliability issues, usually Optispark related.

Sounding better heavily depends on the exhaust. I've heard some nice Mustangs, & I've heard some really god awful ones that attempted a straight pipe exhaust. Sound comes down to the modifications.

As for the bang per buck, don't know why you'd spend a little more for the same performance. Like I said, the Camaro has a gigantic aftermarket variation in comparison with the Mustang GT. All Camaros take are usually heads, mild cams, decent exhaust with a good tune & you're looking at a pretty quick car in the QTR.
All depends what you prefer. I'd rather the Mustang, and I'd be willing to spend the little extra to make it as fast. I also think the 4.6 sounds way better than an LT1, stock for stock, and when both are modified tastefully. Interior is also better, but that's honestly a moot point if you're buying one of these cars, it's all about preference
I think I am definitely leaning more towards the lt1 camaro:tup:. Awesome cars and one of my closest friends has a 98 ls1 convertible, and i must say it does haul. I got it sideways at 45mph+ on a little run against a integra with a fart can
LT1s haul. No question about that, and I loved driving the '93 Z28 vert I tested. The exhaust stock is basically unhearable with the top down, can't comment on top up, didn't drive it that way. Both are great cars, you won't be dissapointed no matter which you pick. I like both :sly:

All depends what you prefer. I'd rather the Mustang, and I'd be willing to spend the little extra to make it as fast. I also think the 4.6 sounds way better than an LT1, stock for stock, and when both are modified tastefully. Interior is also better, but that's honestly a moot point if you're buying one of these cars, it's all about preference

I never had a real good look at the mustang interior but it wouldn't take much to look better than the camaro's interior lol. But the interior isn't a huge concern. Sure, if a car had a great one its a plus but if its crap it isn't a real problem. Thats just me though.

I'm with you completely. The Mustangs have nice interiors by my standards, but it's completely moot. I think my trucks interior pretty sweet, so I must have low standards :lol:

I have been looking up some info on the B5 Audi S4 and I like what I see. 260hp, awd, luxury and sport, still in the vw scene; all every important. The one thing is about it that I am worried about is the reliability, price and maintenance. Once again I would be shooting for a close to stock one with lower miles but still, if the turbos go its going to be $$$. Does anyone know common problems with this specific model? Feed back is great :)

Thanks thats a great website! Very informative. Some of those problems do scare me, especially the dying turbos:nervous:. But i wont be demanding much from the car. The most I would do are the basics like air filter, exhaust and maybe BOV/DV and mild ecu chip depending on what works better with the car. Same goes with the srt4, a lot of the problems people have I feel are people with modded and abused cars. Which I am afraid are a good portion of the ones left.👎

Last edited:
Some pros and cons of some recent thoughts, just basically want to get my thoughts out and see what anyone has to say.

Car - hp - drivetrain - engine - price - Insurance

B5 S4 - 260hp - AWD - 2.7TT - 6-10k - ?

VR6 gti/jetta- 175hp - Front - 2.8 - 3-5k - okay

c4 vette - ? - Rear - 5.7 - 5-10k - bad

4th gen Z28 - 276hp - Rear - 5.7 - 4-8k - bad

Mustang gt - ? - Rear -5.0/4.6- 3-9k - bad
(fox and
Sn95)

pre 08 wrx - 220hp - AWD - 2.5t - 7-12k - eh

SRT4 - 230hp - Front - 2.2t - 8-15k - eh

E36 325 - ? - Rear - 2.5 - 3-6k - okay

Go see what a 4cyl Fox would be like on insurance, then find a clean one with a well done 5.0 EFI swap.

Thats a good idea, Im just worried that it would be hard to find a legit professional swap. If it was that easy I would do that. Im sure its different in ways but I have looked at originally 2 liter vw gti's and jetta's but most swaps aren't good weather or not they look good. Im just looking for a as close to original and stock car thats clean.

How does insurance work in the US? I know if I had a 4 cylinder car insured here, and wrecked it, and they found out I was running with a V8 under the hood, the only thing I would get from the insurance company would be laughter. Lots and lots of laughter. Hell, things like boost controllers/exhausts are enough for them to deny claims...

Back