Proud new owner of a 2008 GLI Autobahn package

If you do end up financing, what monthly payments can you afford?
Why not lease, if you don't do a ton of miles?

If you do end up financing, what monthly payments can you afford?
Why not lease, if you don't do a ton of miles?

I leased my Gti and I drove way too much and for the last year I have barely driven my car and I am still well over miles. I am also moving very far and the miles will rack up fast.

Oh, I know the rattles... But they only started after I dropped my car on coilovers :sly:. Which I wont be doing with this car and the I5 is much easier to maintain than the oil guzzling 2.0t fsi.

Mine has actually stopped burning oil since I've switched to Mobil 1 0W-40. I've only had to add a quart over the last 5000 miles, and both half quarts had to be added after stints of harder than normal driving. Oil level doesn't change other than that.

Yes I have but If I were to buy a used car I wouldnt be able to want something fast because there cheaper used, but after knowing how I treated my car I wouldn't trust to buy a used sport car. I mean i'm sure there are sound examples but I cant run the risk now because if it s***'s out on me I wont be able to fix it.

Is a year enough to do that kind of damage to a car? I guess it's hard to tell if somebody has really beat on something but I would hope that the Carfax would show that it isn't having small issues all over the place. And if you weren't looking at a GTI you probably wouldn't have to worry about reliability as much after a year of somebody else owning it.

Although mods and a pretty thorough inspection would probably weed out a lot of the beat up cars.

Does it actually work that way?. I mean it does if you want to sell the car back to the dealer, but if you want to buy a year old car, saving more than 2-3 grand would be hard. My GF and I have been looking at 2009-2010 STIs and WRXs for the past week or so and whether dealer or private, the 2-3k price difference and the 10,000+ miles on the car come out to about the same thing.

That's probably a function of the state of the used car market right now though. My estimate is that when we bought the GTI a year old (granted it had 21,000 miles on it), we saved at least $5000 off the price of a new car similarly equipped. But then again, the Subaru dealer my Aunt bought from was asking the same price for a 2011 Outback with 10 miles as their old 2010 loaner vehicles. Could be the lack of used cars because nobody bought new in the last couple years.

Well today I went to a local vw dealer and I fell in love with the Jetta se and sel versions. They (se model specifically) can be had with Premium audio system with touch screen 6cd changer with aux input and sunroof and alloys for about 20k before haggling and the trade in. I found a perfect example at a dealer near my school I am going to look at maybe tomorrow.

http://www.shrewsburymotors.com/vehicle/details/3VWBZ7AJ3BM330839
Don't mind the picture, read the features.

My friend who works at the VW dealer was telling me that the new Jetta's were incredibly cheap in quality. So with that in mind I would probably recommend an 09-10 Jetta instead.

Yeah, new gen Jetta is not as good as the previous gen. I don't usually believe consumer reports but I agree with them on this point.

My friend who works at the VW dealer was telling me that the new Jetta's were incredibly cheap in quality. So with that in mind I would probably recommend an 09-10 Jetta instead.

Yeah, I have noticed that but they aren't that bad. I would try to get the SEL with the "convenience package" which is a nice step above the s and se models. But If they really are that much worse, which I never noticed besides the drum breaks on the s and se models which isnt so on the sel models which is what i'd try to get. If I really find it bad next time I go back, ill go back to the golf.

So what desire is there for some run of the mill four cylinder sedan with some basic features for $20k? You've gone from wanting something affordable and relatively fast to something brand new and German for...a warranty? Plenty of fun cars available for less than that, that won't be timebombs.

http://www.lindenvw.com/VehicleDeta...kswagen-GLI-JETTA_SEDAN-Roselle-NJ/1007162233

This is what I am getting as long as its there on monday. 2008 Gli with 38,000 with the autobahn package, which means high bolstered leather seats, premium stereo system, sunroof and all the nik-naks ,my gti has.

I know what you must be thinking, "wtf its the same car as you have now!" yes but it has more options, a fresh warranty until dec 2014 or 84k and it is as fresh as if it was brand new. I drove it and it was perfect! As oppose to my gti which makes bad noises from all the violent abuse it has received for the last 3 years.

So yeah, I am basically sticking with almost the same car, same color and all, and i could not be happier.

So af of about 745pm this past evening my gti was traded in for a gli. I could not be happier with my choice the car is in showroom condition and just like my gti just a sedan version with better seats, stereo and without the years of rape. The gti will be sorely missed and I will never forget it but this gli definitely was the correct choice and will be treated properly and remain unmodified for the greater part of the rest of the 3.5 year warranty.

207th5z.jpg

2115s8o.jpg

Last moment before gti was taken away :'(
wvsqs5.jpg

Look out for a new thread in the members rides setion for a more detailed overview of the car with more pics!

Thanks everyone its a joy to drive, the sportiness of the gti and luxury of an unmodified car lol. I don't think I could have found a better car than this one. Especially with the warranty and I won't say what we paid but it was a good deal because my sister got jetta at the same time.

Back