Proud new owner of a 2008 GLI Autobahn package

I would imagine its a pretty sturdy vehicle. Can't imagine them being in the same price range as the other cars. Granted I haven't looked at prices of them, ever.

I would imagine its a pretty sturdy vehicle. Can't imagine them being in the same price range as the other cars. Granted I haven't looked at prices of them, ever.

It is hard to find one near my price range with lower miles but they are around. Most of them however are too expensive, but they can be had for about 17k with about 50 or 60k if you look hard enough.

I think one thing to remember is that, while the LS engines are typically good on gas, I'm not sure how good on gas they are when in vehicles weighing 5500 or whatever the Trailblazer weighs.

My friend was happy to see 16mpg average over the 2 years he had the TBSS. None of it was city stop and go as the roads by him are mostly 2 lane highway or suburb streets.

spgt1_detail.jpg

*cough* :D

Car and Driver did an article a year or so ago about good used performance cars to buy for under $20,000. I suggest giving it a read, because it seems to be right up your alley in regards to what you are looking for and you've already brought up two of the cars that were featured in the article (GTO and Trailblazer SS).

Car and Driver did an article a year or so ago about good used performance cars to buy for under $20,000. I suggest giving it a read, because it seems to be right up your alley in regards to what you are looking for and you've already brought up two of the cars that were featured in the article (GTO and Trailblazer SS).

I wish I could find a CLEAN evo 8 for my budget :nervous:

AWD + TQ makes anything fast off the line.

I think I'd be bored with an SUV. It will be fun to launch, sound good, and probably be a nice car to have. But when it comes down to what it really does well, that's launching and 0-60 sprints. That's a good way to break something and get 5mpg doing it. :lol:

I'd probably still be going with the GTO if I were you. Have you considered a turbo Cobalt SS?

Any info on the Trailblazer SS? I feel its a good mix between the comfort of the yukon and the sportiness of the gto and I think they are really attractive and with the ls2 its no slouch. Only concern is missing driving stick. Also does anyone know about their reliability?

TBSS's are quite epic however I believe they get something like 9mpg. When fuel is on it's way to maybe $5 per gallon this summer that might not be the best bet.

I knew a guy in college that had one, he never complained about reliability but that's one vehicle out of thousands so it isn't much to go on.

Okay, because my parents are helping me out with this car they are really pushing for a new but sensible car because I am moving to Florida on my own this summer and it would be good to have a reliable car for a few years while I get on my feet.

I am not forgetting about my lust for the GTO and Evo and Trailblazer SS but here are some more reasonable options for a new car...
Subaru Impreza
VW Golf
VW Jetta (ugly)

Those are the only 2 brands of reasonable cars that I have an affinity for and if I am going to have it for a good amount of years I'd want it to be a brand I am proud of, even though it's not a fast car.

Okay, because my parents are helping me out with this car they are really pushing for a new but sensible car because I am moving to Florida on my own this summer and it would be good to have a reliable car for a few years while I get on my feet.

I am not forgetting about my lust for the GTO and Evo and Trailblazer SS but here are some more reasonable options for a new car...
Subaru Impreza
VW Golf
VW Jetta (ugly)

Those are the only 2 brands of reasonable cars that I have an affinity for and if I am going to have it for a good amount of years I'd want it to be a brand I am proud of, even though it's not a fast car.

I say go for the Impreza.

They told you that they want you to get a more reasonable, reliable car...

So they suggested a Subaru Impreza and a pair of Volkswagens?

Subaru Impreza
VW Golf
VW Jetta (ugly)

If you're moving down to Florida, I would really take in the cost of living on your own & apply that to what kind of car you're going to want, if you haven't done so already.

2 cents.

They told you that they want you to get a more reasonable, reliable car...

So they suggested a Subaru Impreza and a pair of Volkswagens?

I suggested those 2, my gti has served me very well. Only problems I have encountered were problems I caused by beating the tar out of it:ouch:. I also know many people with impreza's and they seem to be very reliable.👍

If you're moving down to Florida, I would really take in the cost of living on your own & apply that to what kind of car you're going to want, if you haven't done so already.

2 cents.

Thats why I am second guessing the GTO and whatnot, maybe a new, warranted car is a better option until I have a steady job considering I wont have anyone to help me out anymore.

Food for thought: Maybe a new or semi new pickup or suv?

Last edited:
Get an '92-'96 F150 with a 4.9L and a 5 speed. You'll get 17-18 mpg on stock tires, 16-17 on 31s, and possibly better. Those are my numbers from my 91 with an auto.

That and they're easy as heck to work on for most things that go.

Get an '92-'96 F150 with a 4.9L and a 5 speed. You'll get 17-18 mpg on stock tires, 16-17 on 31s, and possibly better. Those are my numbers from my 91 with an auto.

That and they're easy as heck to work on for most things that go.

Or, for that matter, an '97-03/4 F150 with the 4.2 and a 5-speed...

Just, in either case, drive it a good bit before buying; those 5-speeds are a bit hit/miss while the slushboxes are reasonably reliable. If I'm not mistaken, the 4.9s get an E4OD whereas the newer trucks all have 4R70s.

The M5OD in the '96 and earlier is supposed to be pretty good. From everything I've read the E4OD is the crappiest of them, sucking the most power from the engine and not being the most reliable. Of course I have that one

He's going to go live on his own in Florida so you suggest 15 year old 10-15mpg pickup trucks?

I think the GTO is going to be plenty reliable for that. SRT4 less so, but more practical. The GTO is not good for hauling much (besides haulin' ass!), that trunk is laughable. Drive right and it'll still get good mileage. I wouldn't trade anything sporty for a base Impreza, or either of the base VWs.

He's going to go live on his own in Florida so you suggest 15 year old 10-15mpg pickup trucks?

I think the GTO is going to be plenty reliable for that. SRT4 less so, but more practical. The GTO is not good for hauling much (besides haulin' ass!), that trunk is laughable. Drive right and it'll still get good mileage. I wouldn't trade anything sporty for a base Impreza, or either of the base VWs.

On that note, I am going to give it my all to buy a new wrx or gti, not going to modify either, just to have a fun, reliable practacle car. This next vehicle will be treated like a god.

pow0716a.jpg

It will linger in the back of your mind. But a new WRX hatch would be cool too, I guess.

pow0716a.jpg

It will linger in the back of your mind. But a new WRX hatch would be cool too, I guess.

Unfortunately as the hours go by and the dead line gets closer I have given up pretty much on a gto, I actually am leaning more towards a mark 6 gti or golf.

It would be brand new, and I will know I will maintain it and treat it right this time from day one and it should last me many years.

If you cant tell I have given up on the subaru almsot fully just because its nowere near as nice or solid as the gti and the interior isn't even close to the standard of the gti. The only reason I wanted it was because how quick it was, but in driving my gti today I realize that its plenty quick enough for me and I do not need awd because there is no snow in florida:tup:.

In the long run I feel I will be happiest with the mk6 Gti, and if that breaks the budget a golf. This car will be bought outright and once I get on my feel I'll trade it in for a proper sports car:tup:.

I'm 20, I don't need a blazingly fast car, as much as I would like one:drool:.

I am still debating other ideas but I think I am pretty set on another VW:tup::).

So why is it you feel the need to get rid of this GTI to get another GTI?

I got it when I was 17 and as much as I hate to admit, I beat the ever living **** out of it and it has its problems and stupid mods I threw on. Its a lease and its going back soon and I will be able to have a fresh start and a warrenty which would be great. Being older (I know, not by much) I learned about about proper auto care and the do's and don't which I refused to listen to and that was my fault. I think its good that my first car was a lease because I abused the poop out of it and now it goes back :). Now I am ready for the full responcibility of ownership.

If you're considering the price of a brand new GTI, have you thought about an E46 M3? You can get a decent example of one of those in that price range. And the driving dynamics will be amazing.

Back