Proud new owner of a 2008 GLI Autobahn package

Looks good! $4,000 sounds a little high to me, but I haven't paid attention to the used car dollar to mile ratio in the last year.

If you see the car in person you can see how clean it is how nice it is. Never been abused.

Unfortunately, the sale has been put off for a while due to a few unforeseen circumstances :(

Mine some stuff with insurance because I cant have anything except full coverage on the gti so 2 cars is a little much :/. Also with my little sister getting her license in 1 month 5 cars on my dads insurance is kind of crazy.

Hopefully in January or another date closer to my gti going back I will be able to pick it up if its still around. If not I'll have to find something just as clean or better :). The only thing is I know and trust this kid and the previous owner.

So not much of an update but I have been looking at some cars and have some new interests.

1996-2001 SN95 Mustang Cobra 4.6l 4v (non supercharged) coupe or, preferably, convertable
2ur03o6.jpg

i5q7v9.jpg

1995-1999 Bmw M3/4/5 (4 door, 5speed) or convertible
15gxsm1.jpg

and9pl.jpg

Both cars, I have narrowed down to be very high candidates and amazing cars in the unmodified state. My next car is going to have to last me at least until the end of college and then some and I would prefer a car that I can enjoy them in all their stock glory for as long as I can. I also want a car that I wont have to worry about it failing me as long as I keep up with the preventative maintenance. I know that the I6 in the bmw's are pretty solid and can easily make it past the 200k mile range but don't know too much about the n/a 4v 4.6l.

Both of these cars are pretty modern (mustang more-so) and seem pretty comfy (with leather seats). Iv'e deduced that a decent example of either of these cars can be had for between 10 and 12k which is a reasonable price for a clean example that will treat me well. I am passionate about all things cars and appreciate a great car and treat it well.

These two are on the tops of my list at the moment because they are fun sports cars that have the ability to dish out a large amount of fun and daily capability. I am pretty sure that azureman has an e36 m3 and it would be great if he popped in. If anyone knows anything about the 'stang that would be great too.

My minds always changing and here at school I don't have all my friends to bounce ideas off of all the time so you gtp'ers are going to have to help me out :) thanks!

Ahh, yes another beast of a muscle car. I would also gladly buy one of these, I have actually looked at these extensively and really like them. My best friend had a similar 1998 Z28 convertible and it is a really great car. The LS1 is definitely a force to be reckoned with:tup:.

BUT...

During the many times I drove the car, there was something about the handling I didn't like. It is more of a speedboat than a sports car. It is still an option but I feel the 'stang and definitely the e36 will handle better then the 4thgen Camaro, trans am.

I think the SS and WS6 had suspension and brake upgrades as well as a bump in power. I haven't driven any car you've mentioned so I can really say anything about the feel of the cars.

True, I have only driven the "lower" models of each car. I have driven a 93 325i, 98 z28, and a 2000 v6 mustang. But I figure the Cobra, even a gt, must handle somewhat better than the SS Camaro due to its shear length

Get a 4 door e36 m3 if you can find a good one, I think those things will beome pretty rare and it's a nice looking car, at the same time, pretty practical as it is a 4 door. Now about price and how you can find a 4 door e36, I don't know

I think these might be in your price range.

1.jpg

2003-2004-ford-mustang-mach-1.jpg

Yeah, the mach 1/ bullit's are a good choice as well, they have the same 4v motor as the early cobra's. The only reason I didn't mention them is that they might have an added premium because they are newer and, in a way are more exclusive. Also I figure the older cobra's are cheaper because the 03-04 supercharged cobra's are more desirable, thus are more expensive.

Get a 4 door e36 m3 if you can find a good one, I think those things will beome pretty rare and it's a nice looking car, at the same time, pretty practical as it is a 4 door. Now about price and how you can find a 4 door e36, I don't know

I've been trolling bimmerforums lately and the 4 doors are rare but but shouldn't be too hard to track down a good example for a reasonable price.:)

So not much of an update but I have been looking at some cars and have some new interests.

1996-2001 SN95 Mustang Cobra 4.6l 4v (non supercharged) coupe or, preferably, convertable
2ur03o6.jpg

i5q7v9.jpg

1995-1999 Bmw M3/4/5 (4 door, 5speed) or convertible
15gxsm1.jpg

and9pl.jpg

Don't limit yourself to just the Cobras!

Both cars, I have narrowed down to be very high candidates and amazing cars in the unmodified state. My next car is going to have to last me at least until the end of college and then some and I would prefer a car that I can enjoy them in all their stock glory for as long as I can. I also want a car that I wont have to worry about it failing me as long as I keep up with the preventative maintenance. I know that the I6 in the bmw's are pretty solid and can easily make it past the 200k mile range but don't know too much about the n/a 4v 4.6l.

Both of these cars are pretty modern (mustang more-so) and seem pretty comfy (with leather seats). Iv'e deduced that a decent example of either of these cars can be had for between 10 and 12k which is a reasonable price for a clean example that will treat me well. I am passionate about all things cars and appreciate a great car and treat it well.

These two are on the tops of my list at the moment because they are fun sports cars that have the ability to dish out a large amount of fun and daily capability. I am pretty sure that azureman has an e36 m3 and it would be great if he popped in. If anyone knows anything about the 'stang that would be great too.

My minds always changing and here at school I don't have all my friends to bounce ideas off of all the time so you gtp'ers are going to have to help me out :) thanks!
Cobras had IRS from '99+, the previous were live axle. The 4.6 has proven to be a reliable motor and great sounding. I still see '96 GTs running around :)

SN95s all have the same interior, the New Edges have more usable cupholders. New edges got black headlight housings in 2002, the previous had a chromedish housing that didn't look as good. Drive an SN at night before you make your final choice. My dad's '04 has terrible low beams, but the highs are good enough.
True, I have only driven the "lower" models of each car. I have driven a 93 325i, 98 z28, and a 2000 v6 mustang. But I figure the Cobra, even a gt, must handle somewhat better than the SS Camaro due to its shear length
The Mustangs are better handling, and also don't have a weak diff like the F-Bodies, that's their weakest drivetrain link. I've driven a '93 Z28, and '94 GT, and I can honestly say I liked the 154k Mustang suspension better than the 160k Camaro suspension. The Camaro rode rougher, and in turns felt less composed than the Mustang, but not by too much. I didn't really test them too extensively.

BEWARE! Mustang GT's from '04 and older have extremely heavy clutches. Nothing you can't get used to, but you'll definately build up your clutch leg working it. It's going to be at least double the effort of your GTi. I make that comparison based on the clutch feel from an '08 Rabbit, just FYI.
I think these might be in your price range.

1.jpg

2003-2004-ford-mustang-mach-1.jpg

Bullitts are going for slightly over regular GTs, bout $1,000 more. I've seen Mach's anywhere from 10-15k that looked REALLY good.

Also, Bullitts have the 4.6 2V Performance Improved motor, along with all other New Edge GTs. The '96-'98 2V is not PI and lacks a lot of power in comparison. The Mach runs a 4.6 4V, DOHC motor. It's the same motor as the '03-'04 Terminators, just without the blower.

SN95 GT - 215 horsepower
SN95 Cobra - 305 horsepower
New Edge GT - 260 horsepower
New Edge Bullitt - 265
New Edge Mach - 305 horsepower
'99 & '01 Cobra - 320 horsepower
Terminator - 390hp/390tq, underrated, they make about 380 to the wheels stock.

Cobras had IRS from '99+, the previous were live axle. The 4.6 has proven to be a reliable motor and great sounding. I still see '96 GTs running around :)

SN95s all have the same interior, the New Edges have more usable cupholders. New edges got black headlight housings in 2002, the previous had a chromedish housing that didn't look as good. Drive an SN at night before you make your final choice. My dad's '04 has terrible low beams, but the highs are good enough.

The Mustangs are better handling, and also don't have a weak diff like the F-Bodies, that's their weakest drivetrain link.

BEWARE! Mustang GT's from '04 and older have extremely heavy clutches. Nothing you can't get used to, but you'll definately build up your clutch leg working it. It's going to be at least double the effort of your GTi. I make that comparison based on the clutch feel from an '08 Rabbit, just FYI.

Bullitts are going for slightly over regular GTs, bout $1,000 more. I've seen Mach's anywhere from 10-15k that looked REALLY good.

SN95 Cobra - 305 horsepower

New Edge Mach - 305 horsepower

'99 & '01 Cobra - 320 horsepower

All very useful info as always mustangGT!👍

I feel it is nessessary to add the Mach to the list and take away the fbody :nervous:. As much as I adore them, they arent for me, at least handling wise. Especially coming from my much loved go cart:sly:.

And about the clutch, I really think I want a stiffer clutch. The gti's clutch, while extremely smooth, it doesnt give me the feedback I crave. It really quite puny. I love a clutch that kicks my foot off in a fit of rage lol.:dopey:

All very useful info as always mustangGT!👍

I feel it is nessessary to add the Mach to the list and take away the fbody :nervous:. As much as I adore them, they arent for me, at least handling wise. Especially coming from my much loved go cart:sly:.

And about the clutch, I really think I want a stiffer clutch. The gti's clutch, while extremely smooth, it doesnt give me the feedback I crave. It really quite puny. I love a clutch that kicks my foot off in a fit of rage lol.:dopey:

The worse clutch on a Mustang I drove was that '94 5.0. I'd go to press it down, and with my foot on the pedal I'd get pushed back into the seat before the pedal started to go down.

That's the worst I've ever felt though, I got into my mom's Escape after the test run and I swear I dented her floorboard with that clutch pedal :lol:

That's the worst I've ever felt though, I got into my mom's Escape after the test run and I swear I dented her floorboard with that clutch pedal :lol:

:lol: Hahahaha

I totally can relate. After driving my friends turbo'd VR6 mark 3 gti with a clutch that must have been a stage 3+ because it was brutal, I stepped into my gti and slammed the clutch down so hard it scared me lol. Same with a 2009 sti I drove, it was intense :scared:

Hope nobody notices the pedal impressions under the carpet :lol:

And I just noticed too, the Bullitt pictured farther up is wearing a '99 or '01 Cobra bumper 👍

Hope nobody notices the pedal impressions under the carpet :lol:

And I just noticed too, the Bullitt pictured farther up is wearing a '99 or '01 Cobra bumper 👍

Yeah I was looking at that too a little confused.

Also, me and my best friend are planning on going on a 800 mile round trip this summer to christen my new car into the family. The gti has seen about 4 solid road trips and this car (whatever it may be) will be will be asked no less:tup:.

Great! I could comfortably do that in mine after a trans filter and new fluid, new brake fluid and rear brakes.

Pay close attention to whatever you buy! If anything is wrong, research it BEFORE buying!

Great! I could comfortably do that in mine after a trans filter and new fluid, new brake fluid and rear brakes.

Pay close attention to whatever you buy! If anything is wrong, research it BEFORE buying!

Trust me dude, I have been scouring the bmw and mustang forums for all the usual issues and maintenance and what have you. I figure those guys know best. It seems with the m3's their main issue is their cooling system. Once you sort that out your pretty much golden. I need to do a little more research on the cobras however.

I've been on a Mustang forum (TheMustangSource.com) for over a year now, and they've got about anything you could ever want to know. If you're looking at SN95s though, check out SN95Forum.com, those guys are crazy for those things. There won't be a answer you can't get between those 2 sites when it comes to S197's and SN95s, respectively

3.5 months left on the gti and I haven't narrowed down my options at all, nor have they changed much :(.

The cars I am still dead set on are split up into 3 price ranges.

16-18k
Lancer evo 8 rs or gsr
Mark4 R32

10-12k
ls1 camaro
srt-4
e36 m3

Under 10k
Mark3 Gti Vr6

You can get an e39 M5 for $16K. I wouldn't but maybe you'll consider it?

Eh I've never been one for e39's, just a personal preference. Not saying they aren't good cars but just not for me.

The cars listed in the 16-18k category are most likely going to be too expensive but just in case I will not give up hope. I'm going to start off with the best and weed my way down to the best I can get.

You can get an e39 M5 for $16K. I wouldn't but maybe you'll consider it?

A lot of work to keep running. A lot.

E36 M3 would be the best bet and they are easy to find for under 10k now in decent shape.

A lot of work to keep running. A lot.

E36 M3 would be the best bet and they are easy to find for under 10k now in decent shape.

I do really like e36 m3's. By far the classiest car on the list.

Also one of the few cars that wouldn't see more than an air filter and maybe an exhaust. I think this is one of those cars where the more stock it is the nicer it is. That may be just me though:tup:

Like Azuremen said, the E36 M3 in good condition is probably a decent bet. An E39 M5 CAN be had for 16k, but those are typically 01 with pretty high mileage or a pre-facelift 00 models. You can find well-maintained (higher mileage, but still well maintained) M5s for about 17k, but those are rare, and they get sold pretty quickly. A good condition, low mileage M5 will set you back about 20-23k. Either way though, they still are pretty expensive to maintain.

Okay, so today I drove my friend at schools 2009 Mazdaspeed3 with a cobb intake/inlet pipe and short-shift kit and a solid shift bushing. All I can say is wow!!!

I loved almost everything about the car, the wicked power and torque, the handling and just pureness of it. The only thing I can really say I don't like is the fact its a fast Mazda 3. I'm not trying to bash Mazda but damn I hate them. To the average person its just a Mazda 3 and around here all the people that drive them seem to be chicks. Granted the Gti isn't much better but I feel its more distinguished from the base rabbit/golf.

Despite that I really want one, God I never thought I would say that.

Tell me some more reasons to make me want this car more!

Okay well, new update!

Might be going to check out this baby soon and trade in the gti early considering I'm no longer under warentee.

http://www.massapequanissan.com/use...DA3&make=35&model=680&style=306057&vk=1312415

Last edited:
When I hammered the pedal on my buddy's Speed 3 I nearly took out every car on the side of the road because of the immense torque steer. The thing was nearly uncontrollable. If that's you're idea of fun then you can have it!

Also, the tuning scene for 3s in general is almost non-existent. I don't know why because they're good cars, but nobody does anything to them, and even fewer people do it properly. I imagine that will get better within the next few years because there have been a couple stellar cars to make examples of.

Last edited:
The direct injection engine is notoriously finicky to tune... but there are quite a few aftermarket suppliers that make parts for them. Popular parts to be found from Cobb (which has an accessport tune for the MS3) and Corksport.

Basically, you want the reflash, some pipe and not really anything else. Maybe aftermarket mounts (the stock mounts are notoriously unreliable... there was a recall) and shifter bushings (Mazda shifters just plain suck when they get old... the MS3 is no exception).

Since it has the Cobb intake and the shifter bushings, that just leaves you the reflash and the engine mounts as must-haves.

Back