Proud new owner of a 2008 GLI Autobahn package

Basically, you want the reflash, some pipe and not really anything else. Maybe aftermarket mounts (the stock mounts are notoriously unreliable... there was a recall) and shifter bushings (Mazda shifters just plain suck when they get old... the MS3 is no exception).
True on both counts, even on lesser models. My buddy managed to break his rear torque mount and his shifter feels like churning butter, and he's a technician at the dealership! Mind you, it's a miracle that car isn't a pile of rubble by now, but still, if that's all that has broken with his sort of punishment then I have to call 3s generally stout cars. They're definitely good.

Well the whole MS3 idea was a flop unfortunately. Due to unforeseen circumstances my limit has dropped drastically, to about 6k. That narrows it down to pretty much a mark3 gti. Maybe a lt1 Camaro?

I am getting a new job pretty soon so we shall see what the future entails.

Any suggestions for quick cars about 6k.

Well the whole MS3 idea was a flop unfortunately. Due to unforeseen circumstances my limit has dropped drastically, to about 6k. That narrows it down to pretty much a mark3 gti. Maybe a lt1 Camaro?

I am getting a new job pretty soon so we shall see what the future entails.

Any suggestions for quick cars about 6k.

2002-3 Maxima 6spd? Mazda 6 V6 5 spd?

LT1 Camaro all the way! I'm in love with mine! They can be made to handle downright awesome. Mine's running a Spec stage 3 clutch, UMI subframe connectors, a BMR strut tower brace, UMI panhard bar, UMI lower control arm relocation brackets, Koni adjustable shocks on strano springs and sitting on ZR1 wheels and tires and my god does it corner on a dime!

LT1 Camaro all the way! I'm in love with mine! They can be made to handle downright awesome. Mine's running a Spec stage 3 clutch, UMI subframe connectors, a BMR strut tower brace, UMI panhard bar, UMI lower control arm relocation brackets, Koni adjustable shocks on strano springs and sitting on ZR1 wheels and tires and my god does it corner on a dime!

Your car is the perfect example of what I would like my possible future car to be like! Whatever the case sweet 4th gen man keep up the good work.:drool:

Alright, after much deliberation I have decided I am going to try to purchase a 4th generation Camaro, preferably an ls1, m6 and t-top. I love these cars and they're silly fast. Plus I want a more raw unadulterated driving experience over the gti and all of its electronic powered stuffs.

So gtp boys, school me!

If you want an fbody in 4th gen form get a Trans-Am WS6. And even the I'd recommend the GTO. :)

JCE
If you want an fbody in 4th gen form get a Trans-Am WS6. And even the I'd recommend the GTO. :)

I go back and forth between the t/a and the Camaro but I always seem to go back to the more reserved looks of the Camaro, and I would kill for a GTO but they cost a few g's more and thats something I cannot do :(. Plus they are worse on insurance from what I hear.

I go back and forth between the t/a and the Camaro but I always seem to go back to the more reserved looks of the Camaro, and I would kill for a GTO but they cost a few g's more and thats something I cannot do :(. Plus they are worse on insurance from what I hear.

Have you driven an f-body?

Having owned both a Z28 ('95) & Mustang Cobra ('94)...the Mustang was miles better in every way, shape, and form. Others may disagree, but I'd buy another 5.0L Cobra in a heartbeat whereas the LT1 Camaro I owned was a POS.

Have you driven an f-body?

Having owned both a Z28 ('95) & Mustang Cobra ('94)...the Mustang was miles better in every way, shape, and form. Others may disagree, but I'd buy another 5.0L Cobra in a heartbeat whereas the LT1 Camaro I owned was a POS.

Ive driven 2 98 z28's and did really like them, one an a4 vert and the other was a m6 hardtop. I have only driven 2 mustang gt's which were an 05 and 10, I liked them alot too but compared to the older ones I don't know the difference's.

But please, elaborate. Do you think the 4th generation improves after 98 or you just liked the mustang better than the lt1? I'm interested...

Ive driven 2 98 z28's and did really like them, one an a4 vert and the other was a m6 hardtop. I have only driven 2 mustang gt's which were an 05 and 10, I liked them alot too but compared to the older ones I don't know the difference's.

But please, elaborate. Do you think the 4th generation improves after 98 or you just liked the mustang better than the lt1? I'm interested...

It's the driving feel.

F-bodies have that low seating position, a dashboard big enough to land a helicopter on, and they have a truck-like driving feel to them...never could get used to that. In addition, the seats and materials inside are terrible...even for a 90's GM product.

To me, those cars are not very fun to drive or be in for any period of time. Blasting out of a toll booth; fun. Driving to and from somewhere; not fun.

The Mustang I owned had a bit more character to it and a much better exhaust note. While the interior isn't exactly Audi-esque...it was much better than the Z28. The driving position was better, seats were more comfy, and the T-5 is a slicker shifting transmission when a short-throw is installed. IMO anyway. Heel/toe downshifting? That gets tricky.

While the Mustang does have it's issues with wheel hop, understeer, etc...so does the Camaro. Stock to stock; Mustang was just a better driver and a much more reliable car.

I purchased my Z28 with less than 30k miles on it...hated it after a month and later on a brake proportioning valve failure nearly killed me. A few years later I bought the Cobra with many more miles on it (forgot exactly), but loved that car since the day I got it and still kick myself for ever selling it.

Very simple car and in most cases, quite reliable. If you're thinking about modifying it; there isn't another car on the planet that has more OTC stuff for it than a Mustang.

Ultimately, it's your money and you may really like an F-body...plenty do. But if you're looking for a car in the $10-12,000 range that's American, RWD, and has a V8...I'd look into a 01 or so Mustang Cobra just for ***** and giggles. Good brakes, IRS, and an updated interior over the older Mustangs. And the DOHC 4.6L sounds ridiculously good.

JCE
If you want an fbody in 4th gen form get a Trans-Am WS6.

This.

Pontiac_Trans_Am_143445_20081011.jpg

Look at this.. Then the fix or repair daily rustank, then again at this. Ford will never hold a candle against this.

Alright, after much deliberation I have decided I am going to try to purchase a 4th generation Camaro, preferably an ls1, m6 and t-top. I love these cars and they're silly fast. Plus I want a more raw unadulterated driving experience over the gti and all of its electronic powered stuffs.

So gtp boys, school me!

The Firebird looks better. Otherwise, my buddy's WS6 is getting 450+ hp with an exhaust and intake...and I think a cam as well, but he may not even have that. These things are quick.

Problems, though:

Tranny parts and rear ends break with high power and sudden launches. Said buddy with WS6 had welded his rear end up, and lost the tranny tailshaft. He's got a manual car. He does drive ridiculously hard on it, though.

Your current car looks stunning mate, and that's coming from a guy who isn't a huge VW guy. Want my HHR? Haha

Thank you very much! Its a great car and I'll always love VW but I want to try something new:tup:. But seriously, thanks!

It's the driving feel.

F-bodies have that low seating position, a dashboard big enough to land a helicopter on, and they have a truck-like driving feel to them...never could get used to that. In addition, the seats and materials inside are terrible...even for a 90's GM product.

To me, those cars are not very fun to drive or be in for any period of time. Blasting out of a toll booth; fun. Driving to and from somewhere; not fun.

The Mustang I owned had a bit more character to it and a much better exhaust note. While the interior isn't exactly Audi-esque...it was much better than the Z28. The driving position was better, seats were more comfy, and the T-5 is a slicker shifting transmission when a short-throw is installed. IMO anyway. Heel/toe downshifting? That gets tricky.

While the Mustang does have it's issues with wheel hop, understeer, etc...so does the Camaro. Stock to stock; Mustang was just a better driver and a much more reliable car.

I purchased my Z28 with less than 30k miles on it...hated it after a month and later on a brake proportioning valve failure nearly killed me. A few years later I bought the Cobra with many more miles on it (forgot exactly), but loved that car since the day I got it and still kick myself for ever selling it.

Very simple car and in most cases, quite reliable. If you're thinking about modifying it; there isn't another car on the planet that has more OTC stuff for it than a Mustang.

Ultimately, it's your money and you may really like an F-body...plenty do. But if you're looking for a car in the $10-12,000 range that's American, RWD, and has a V8...I'd look into a 01 or so Mustang Cobra just for ***** and giggles. Good brakes, IRS, and an updated interior over the older Mustangs. And the DOHC 4.6L sounds ridiculously good.

Thanks for the honest answer, very helpful. If given the chance I'll see if I can have a go in a sn95 stang. I do like them, particularly if they have a 4v :).

This.

Look at this.. Then the fix or repair daily rustank, then again at this. Ford will never hold a candle against this.
:drool: Like I said before I go back and forth between the t/a and Camaro. I feel only time will tell what I have a crush on in april/may :).

The Firebird looks better. Otherwise, my buddy's WS6 is getting 450+ hp with an exhaust and intake...and I think a cam as well, but he may not even have that. These things are quick.

Problems, though:

Tranny parts and rear ends break with high power and sudden launches. Said buddy with WS6 had welded his rear end up, and lost the tranny tailshaft. He's got a manual car. He does drive ridiculously hard on it, though.

My friend who had a 98 z28 vert blew his rear into many pieces:tdown:. Like you said though he beat the tar out of it. He got it when he was 17 and the 2 years he had it he put 60,000 miles of hardcore constant daily abuse:crazy:. But for the amount he beat it up it was damn reliable. Nothing broke unless he was at fault. He actually totaled it a few months ago and plopped the motor in a hardtop m6 roller and back in action. That is part of the reason I want one. They seem to put up with alot of abuse and keep on kicking. I cant say how the lt1 does but the ls1 is a tank.

This.

I'm a Ford guy and think that looks better than nearly any mustang made. That being said, I agree with the guys farther up, the Mustang feels like it has better handling, but I disagree about the seating position. Anytime I get in an SN95 I put the seat to the floor and still wish it was lower, like a 3rd gen Camaro. Sn95s feel like trucks when you sit in them after driving a 3rd gen. But that's just me

Another alternative;

M%20coupe.jpg

You can find a 1st gen w/the 240hp motor for around $12,000. It's quirky, fun, handles well, and it's a quick car. Since you drive a VW you'd probably appreciate those kinds of attributes in an automobile.

I just can't see someone going from a GTI into a Camaro/Firebird/Mustang and liking their decision a year later. VW enthusiasts are either brotastic Affliction/Ed Hardy customers -or- they like cars with charisma. An M-coupe is for the latter.

It may not be the prettiest thing out of Bavaria, but it has it where it counts.

Another alternative;

M%20coupe.jpg

You can find a 1st gen w/the 240hp motor for around $12,000. It's quirky, fun, handles well, and it's a quick car. Since you drive a VW you'd probably appreciate those kinds of attributes in an automobile.
You will not find a M Coupe for $12,000. If you do, it's beat to hell & back, and probably requires a lot of work. There is one for sale right now on Autotrader; 183,000 miles.

$12,000 is just the average cost for Z3s right now in the 60-70,000 mile range & a few first gen. M Roadsters pushing 90,000+ miles.

BMW M Coupes are very rare & will run $20,000-$24,000 at the least for a decent model that has around 40-50K on the odo. These cars are also like E46 M3s, so you better be prepared to do your homework & have money when it comes time for maintenance.

In complete honesty socom, I would pass on the M Coupe until you're ready for a 2nd car. I don't know your budget bud, but I really think you're better off with something else for a DD at your age. Not trying to be a downer or anything like that, but it's just 1 of those cars you'll really be spending a lot of time inspecting for the right one & it doesn't help that they come onto the used market in small quantities.

Now if you do have the money to buy a nice one & upkeep it as a DD, go for it. It's a great car, just carries a big premium cost with it.

You will not find a M Coupe for $12,000.

Here's one from a dealer

I'd guess he paid no more than $10,000 for it at auction. $12,000 or less for sub 100k mile M-Coupes is more common than you think at wholesale. If you came into that dealer and laid cash on the hood; you'll be able to negotiate the price to be less than $12,000. I can't comment on the condition, obviously, but good cars are more common than you think.

Forgot to add:
The $20k+ M Coupes are for the newer S54 cars (E46 M3). The coupes with the S52 (E36 M3) are the ones you can find a good deal on as they're less desirable.

Last edited:
I'd guess he paid no more than $10,000 for it at auction. $12,000 or less for sub 100k mile M-Coupes is more common than you think at wholesale. If you came into that dealer and laid cash on the hood; you'll be able to negotiate the price to be less than $12,000. I can't comment on the condition, obviously, but good cars are more common than you think.
1. Congrats for ignoring the rest of my post.
2. Look at the mileage. 109,000+ on those cars are not worth the potential headaches. Notice how it's also on a reduced price which means the dealer is having a hard time selling it.

I stand by my original statement. Buy one when you can get a really nice one. These cars are not worth buying just because you're too cheap to spend another $8,000 which could save you thousands in repair bills for a lemon.

Save your money, put a down payment on the new Golf R 270 hp out of the 2.0t 4WD. Its basically the new R32 it might be pricey but that car is going to be the best thing VW has ever put out.

I'll second the SN95 Mustang. Particularly 96+ Cobras.

That said, in your budget, you could get a pretty nice FC TII but that would perform open wallet surgery on you every two weeks for various reasons consistently.

Also, MN12 Thunderbird Super Coupe if you can find a clean one... Very quick, very comfortable, and pretty good to drive as well.

Edit: @ elohim: The GTI is killing his budget as it is. If it wasn't, he'd be keeping it.

1. Congrats for ignoring the rest of my post.

You're lucky I even read after you said 'these cars are like E46 M3s'. Huh? Did you gloss over my post where it said '240hp'? You quoted it.

2. Look at the mileage. 109,000+ on those cars are not worth the potential headaches. Notice how it's also on a reduced price which means the dealer is having a hard time selling it.

This a slow season for used cars. Sitting inventory isn't good and dealers would rather make $500 than going through the hassle of re-auctioning a car. $12,000 in inventory that will sit until April means $12,000 you can't use for cars that would sell right now.

The sad fact is that cars that you and I think are cool do not turn over often. Honda Odyssey w/AWD? You can sell those 7 days a week where a sports car w/a good price may sit for 6mo while attracting strokes/low ballers every other day.

I stand by my original statement. Buy one when you can get a really nice one. These cars are not worth buying just because you're too cheap to spend another $8,000 which could save you thousands in repair bills for a lemon.

BMW's with an I6 tend to be very good cars. They have little hiccups here & there (consumables & occasional CIL), but nowhere near the frequency or severity of their larger V8 siblings. 100k miles is nothing. The OP is interested in Camaros/Firebirds and those cars are the same age, will have similar mileages, but will most certainly have been beaten on. Another thing to consider, many of those pony cars will be on their 3rd, 4th, or 5th owner. I seriously doubt that would be the case with any M-Coupe. I'd also argue an M-Coupe owner is someone who would take care of their car better than a Camaro. An X5 owner? No way, those things are always trashed. But something like an M-Coupe would have been a toy and had an older male owner. Thus, it would have been taken care of better.

I've never pulled the trigger on buying one b/c I know I would want to keep it. No toys for me until I buy property...that's the deal I have with my wallet at least. But the ones (2) I have looked at were clean cars and didn't seem to have any issues...then again, I've been burned once before on a BMW w/a bad Carfax and that's going to be a company car until tax time.

So you can stand by your statement and think everything I'm typing is wrong. That's fine, but you lease your vehicles and probably think used cars are horrid. I'm saying they're not...especially BMW's w/an I6.

The M-Coupe is quirky, fun, fast, and probably affordable for the OP. Why be a debbie downer?

You're lucky I even read after you said 'these cars are like E46 M3s'. Huh? Did you gloss over my post where it said '240hp'? You quoted it.

I really don't get why you have to be such an ass about things. That aside, it is true the S52 is really just a a fancy M52, and thus quite reliable. The higher output M Coupes would require the same maintenance as an E46 M3, from what I recall.

Honestly, any of these cars with over 100k miles will likely need shocks and bushings, which is about another grand of an investment.

I'm still thinking the more pedestrian looking E36 M3 might be a better choice, since there are far more on the market, and they are a bit lower profile, which is also a good thing for a young person.

Another alternative;

M%20coupe.jpg

I just can't see someone going from a GTI into a Camaro/Firebird/Mustang and liking their decision a year later. VW enthusiasts are either brotastic Affliction/Ed Hardy customers -or- they like cars with charisma. An M-coupe is for the latter.

It may not be the prettiest thing out of Bavaria, but it has it where it counts.

I do really like those but I dont want to pay the premiums anymore of owning a European car :(. But I must agree I love a car with charisma and vw vehicles are amazing at that but I just want to experience something different for a while. If vw offered a cheap rwd v8 I would get it but they dont:tdown:.

You will not find a M Coupe for $12,000. If you do, it's beat to hell & back, and probably requires a lot of work. There is one for sale right now on Autotrader; 183,000 miles.

$12,000 is just the average cost for Z3s right now in the 60-70,000 mile range & a few first gen. M Roadsters pushing 90,000+ miles.

BMW M Coupes are very rare & will run $20,000-$24,000 at the least for a decent model that has around 40-50K on the odo. These cars are also like E46 M3s, so you better be prepared to do your homework & have money when it comes time for maintenance.

In complete honesty socom, I would pass on the M Coupe until you're ready for a 2nd car. I don't know your budget bud, but I really think you're better off with something else for a DD at your age. Not trying to be a downer or anything like that, but it's just 1 of those cars you'll really be spending a lot of time inspecting for the right one & it doesn't help that they come onto the used market in small quantities.

Now if you do have the money to buy a nice one & upkeep it as a DD, go for it. It's a great car, just carries a big premium cost with it.

I understand, I dont think I could afford the upkeep on one. Thats why I gave up wanting a E36 m3 :guilty:.

Save your money, put a down payment on the new Golf R 270 hp out of the 2.0t 4WD. Its basically the new R32 it might be pricey but that car is going to be the best thing VW has ever put out.

I wish!!!

I'll second the SN95 Mustang. Particularly 96+ Cobras.

That said, in your budget, you could get a pretty nice FC TII but that would perform open wallet surgery on you every two weeks for various reasons consistently.

Also, MN12 Thunderbird Super Coupe if you can find a clean one... Very quick, very comfortable, and pretty good to drive as well.

Edit: @ elohim: The GTI is killing his budget as it is. If it wasn't, he'd be keeping it.

What is a FC TII?

I don't really want a thunderbird even though I know they aren't bad cars. Just not my style.

Back