Proud new owner of a 2008 GLI Autobahn package

How does insurance work in the US? I know if I had a 4 cylinder car insured here, and wrecked it, and they found out I was running with a V8 under the hood, the only thing I would get from the insurance company would be laughter. Lots and lots of laughter. Hell, things like boost controllers/exhausts are enough for them to deny claims...
I don't think they care too much. I have a friend who wrecked a "2.0" gti with a vr6 swap and they didn't care. I also know a girl who had a worked 1.8t with big turbo and all that jazz and never got any slack over it. I guess insurance is different over here. You don't have to claim work done to car. But I'm pretty sure if someone has a cai and they flood out there car they might not cover it.

I don't think they care too much. I have a friend who wrecked a "2.0" gti with a vr6 swap and they didn't care. I also know a girl who had a worked 1.8t with big turbo and all that jazz and never got any slack over it. I guess insurance is different over here. You don't have to claim work done to car. But I'm pretty sure if someone has a cai and they flood out there car they might not cover it.

Depends on the company. I heard Progressive is good about modified cars, as long as you keep the receipts. I had an old friend that had that particular agreement through them.

As far as major swaps (V8 in a Miata) you usually go through a collector car insurance company with an "agreed value".

Your friends' companies were obviously very poor then, & probably didn't know the VR6 engine did not belong there. That or they had a special deal as R1600 pointed out. But, most insurance companies will leap on the chance to call fraud if you have work done you don't tell them about, esp. if they find turbos/superchargers or any sort of major engine work they find out isn't factory.
slidesquad#1
How does insurance work in the US? I know if I had a 4 cylinder car insured here, and wrecked it, and they found out I was running with a V8 under the hood, the only thing I would get from the insurance company would be laughter. Lots and lots of laughter. Hell, things like boost controllers/exhausts are enough for them to deny claims...
Exhausts won't normally do anything. It's a part of the car that typically doesn't bother insurance companies. But boost controllers & all that jazz can be enough for them to claim fraud on.

Now, that's not to say insurance companies won't let you mod your car, but you have to tell them so. Unfortunately, that can mean a higher rate so most folks say nothing. Same with track days.

Okay so a little update since 2 months ago. My gti which has 11 months left on the lease only has 4k miles left I am allowed to drive with out being charged. This makes me sad because my gti is my baby and I love driving it but I really can't use it much anymore. I drive at least 15k+ miles per year so this is a slight problem considering I go to college 30 miles away and I come home every other week ago and I am volunteer firefighting next year and have to drive 50 miles round trip 2 times a week to the academy for training.

This leaves me with a big delema for the next year which forces me to park the gti for most of the school year minus the times I am home and I must get a cheap daily to get me to and from school and the academy and anything in between.

Just as I started thinking about this my girlfriends dad told me he would sell me my gf grandmas car for 1000 dollars (about). Her grandma's car is a 1990 Ford Crown Victoria with 42k original miles! The car is in M.I.N.T condition. It still has the original Florida plates from 1990 in the trunk along with the dealer plate and a flamingo winshield sun protector:dopey:. I mean all it needs is a car wash and it will look show room fresh. it has a perfect interior and exterior and everything is electric and has all the options and work perfectly. The bench seats are as comfy as a lazy boy chair:tup:. Yeah, I am the kind of guy to drive a fun sporty car but ever since I was a little kid I have always had a thing for big cushy American sedans like the crown vic and town cars so this can be a fun dd for me and a resto project.

It does need a few teeny things like to get the radio fixed and a new passenger ashtray to make it absolutely perfect which I will find in a junk yard or something and it also slips out of overdrive on the highway which is somewhat scary but my gfs dad who is a car nut and did work on the car maintaining it said its easy to get around once you get used to it but I'm going to have it checked out by my mechanic before I buy it to make sure its nothing major.

Other than that I am very excited for a car thats so much easier to work on and maintain to learn stuff on than my gti and from what I have read it is nearly bullet proof and a great car. I plan on keeping it all original and keeping as a mint classic in my eyes. Also I look forward to driving a comfy automatic car for commuting and having cheap insurance payments as well.

So hopefully once I get back from my one month stay in Atlanta from work I am going to promptly get it checked out and buy it and start some freshening up on it :).

Here is a quick cell phone picture I took yesterday (yes I know its dirty lol)
2d1mxjd.jpg

And this is why you don't lease cars.

Well I was a nieve and in love 17 year old and my dad kind of gave me the choice of leasing my dream car or taking the bus to school lol. I learned my lesson and am saving for my next car which I plan on buying in cash in a year or 2.

I can't believe you're so head over heels for a car that without a doubt needs a transmission rebuild. It's certainly not going to last long if you actually intend to drive it any distance, and you'll end up with a broken piece of crap that isn't worth anything and you're in the same boat as you already were.

What a dumb decision.

Hope you buy it.

Im not going to buy it if it needs a new trans or a rebuild. I am going to decide that when I get it checked out but if it checks out I will buy it and I'm going to use it to get from point A to B in comfort.

...I'm not saying "Oh, I think it needs a transmission rebuild"

I'm saying:

"This car needs a transmission rebuild"

There is no doubt involved. Sorry for ruining your dreams, but the car's got the old style AOD 4 speed. Slipping out of O/D is nothing but a hard problem in the transmission.

Move on.

MistaX, no need to be a jerk about it, perhaps you should move on?

Yes, I shouldn't have said anything, let him make a life changing mistake that would put him in a terrible situation.

Whoops, mah bad. I'm a jerk for saving him time. In the long run had he actually had the car checked out the mechanic would've come to the same conclusion. So why make him even go through that aggravation, and being let down later, and probably harder, as you see how high he had his hopes on this car?

Oh right I forgot, GTP hasn't had a sense of humor since 2007.

Back on topic, you really should just buy http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1765995825.html this.

That or something similar could be a possible idea, would rather a rear wheel drive just out of preference but the only reason I am looking at this particular car is because my girlfriend of 2 years dad who was a mechanic tells me that it ins't much of a problem. I am 90 percent sure he said it has a hard time staying in od but next time i see him I will ask more. I don't think he will screw me purposely and he has been driving occasionally it for a few years and never had a problem with it the way it is. I'm not saying it is a perfect car but its not a bad deal if it the problem is nothing major. Yea it might need a trans rebuild but if thats the case at least I tried.

So, last night I drove the crown vic and i absolutely loved it. The trans didn't act up at all and we think it just might be the seals from a long stint of it sitting. The one real window is fried but that doesn't really concern be considering the others do and the ac blows ice cold. The car handled like a big comfy boat should and the motor is solid as a rock. Probably bringing it to my shop tomorrow to ask about the seals. I'm working on paying only 500 for it so even if it needs minor work it doesn't bother me, it runs and drives fine under normal conditions, I just can not beat on it from a dead stop and going above 60.

Awesome! My brother drove one in highschool, and just like you described it, the car is a big comfy boat. Such a great cruising mobile, everytime I see someone driving one I wish I was in their shoes. Has this car been on the cool wall? I'd vote Sub-Zero.

So, last night I drove the crown vic and i absolutely loved it. The trans didn't act up at all and we think it just might be the seals from a long stint of it sitting. The one real window is fried but that doesn't really concern be considering the others do and the ac blows ice cold. The car handled like a big comfy boat should and the motor is solid as a rock. Probably bringing it to my shop tomorrow to ask about the seals. I'm working on paying only 500 for it so even if it needs minor work it doesn't bother me, it runs and drives fine under normal conditions, I just can not beat on it from a dead stop and going above 60.

Tranny's don't always act up right away. Sometimes mine will slip a little in OD after it got dirty, sometimes it changes where it wants to shift, but the incidents are few and far between. Just be aware it could be trouble in the making. BUT! Being an AOD, not an E4OD like my truck, there are rebuild kits you can buy and do yourself with some knowledge. The rebuild kit is $191 for an AOD

Tranny's don't always act up right away. Sometimes mine will slip a little in OD after it got dirty, sometimes it changes where it wants to shift, but the incidents are few and far between. Just be aware it could be trouble in the making. BUT! Being an AOD, not an E4OD like my truck, there are rebuild kits you can buy and do yourself with some knowledge. The rebuild kit is $191 for an AOD

That is true and 200 isn't necessarily that bad for a trans rebuild kit and me and my gf's dad can do it ourselves. But I am bringing it to my shop tomorrow (thurs) to get it looked at. It might just need new gear lube and seals and what not because it sat for a while. I doubt a 40k mile trans driven by old folks would crao out so soon. I am staying optimistic.

Optimism is good. Just remember, owned by old people, few miles, it could be on the original tranny fluid too. That could be the whole issue

As it turns out the trans is fine but my gf's grandma said she doesn't want to sell it anymore, even though she hasn't driven in 4 years :ouch:

I think I am going to save for a while and just get a 3rd or 4th gen camaro/firebird, mk3 vr6 and possibly my friends 1st gen mr2 for 800 dollars :) it has a little rust and has a nasty dent but the engine, trans and interior are mint.

I love those 3/4 gen Fbods. Drove sooo many. My dads mustang feels like you're sitting in a truck after you drive a 3rd/4th gen. They're so low, it's utterly fantastic. And it's all in the seat, they're like right on the floor, I love it

Small update: Lately I've just been browsing various forums learning about other possible choices like e30's, 240's and what not. I have really just broadened my horizons lately.

With that being said my friend is selling his 1995 Jetta Glx, 145,000 miles for 4,000 obo. Timing Chains and Clutch replaced 30k ago, ported and polished head, chip, coilovers (forget brand), borla exhaust, fresh oil cooler seals, new p/s underdrive pully, swiss-cheesed airbox with K&N filter, drilled and slotted brakes with new pads and a mk4 head gasket (higher compression).

I know I said I broadened my horizon but if I can snag this car for 4k I will be a happy man. The car is about as clean as they come with an immaculate black leather interior and black exterior and no rust in the usual spots. I know the 2 previous owners and the car has been respected throughout its life, not abused.

Will try to get some pics of said car. Will keep this updated as stuff goes down.

EDIT:
Picture of said car, comes with stock bbs rx2's. Salad shooters are an extra 800 dollars but they are not necessary for me at the time. The coil overs are Racelands, and has new front and rear strut and shock mounts, poly control arm bushings, and the secondary air pump was deleted (runs better)
nlwlu8.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back