PS3 General Discussion

If the games are getting reviews such as this from the start, that certainly places the PS3 on solid footing at least from the launch window. The high-quality of Resistance doesn't surprise me at all, as it would be enough of a game to make me want to buy a PS3 (but I don't plan on it, yet...).

Launch games appear to be slightly ahead of that of the 360 titles based on the Japanese reviews, so it will be interesting to see what the Americans will say about two weeks from now. I can't say that I'm expecting entirely different reviews here, but slightly different seems reasonable. I doubt Gundam will do that well, while on the other hand Resistance probably stands a good chance for solid 10s from the likes of IGN.

...As I always say, "we will see."

...while on the other hand Resistance probably stands a good chance for solid 10s from the likes of IGN.

"Solid 10s"? I seriously, seriously doubt that. IGN hasn't rated a game a "10" since 2001, and while Resistance has a good amount of hype, I doubt it'll even get a 9.5. But then again, I would think something like this would get no less than a 9, if it lives up to the hype and all.

But time will tell. It'll be interesting to see how the PS3 launch compares with the X360 launch and the Wii launch (especially with Zelda on it's belt).

From GI (Game Industry):

Sony funding 'about 40' download titles for PS3

"We're seeing an emerging strength in developers creating games specifically for downloadable content"

Sony's Phil Harrison says the company is already working with developers on "about 40" exclusive titles that fit into its e-Distribution Initiative (EDI) - the PlayStation 3 equivalent of Xbox Live Arcade.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz' Rob Fahey as part of an interview being serialised on semi-official Sony blog Three Speech, Harrison said that EDI had been "a call to action to the development community to encourage them to create games specifically for us, that we would fund, that we would publish, in the online sense of the word, and distribute online".

"We're developing about 40 products that fit that strategy right now," he added. Sony presented one of these titles - flOw - for the first time at the Tokyo Game Show, with others like Calling All Cars (David Jaffe's title, formerly known as Criminal Crackdown) also generating a lot of interest.

"My strategy was to encourage developers to push the machine technically, creatively, artistically - to innovate in lots of different ways. But don't be restricted by ghettoising games into a particular genre, or a particular display mechanic, because what we've seen on other systems tend to be retro 2D games, and we're pushing the 3D capabilities of the PlayStation 3. Plus, the fact that every PS3 has a hard disk drive means that we're not restricted by the size of the download, and that has a huge impact on the kind of game design that you can do," he continued.

"We're seeing an emerging strength in developers creating games specifically for downloadable content. We're seeing that as a really interesting way of stimulating creativity, experimentation... And it makes me feel as excited as about the games that we saw at the beginning of PS1, when there was a lot of really interesting innovation happening in the marketplace. I think we'll see that on PlayStation 3 as well."

This is could really turn out to be a big boost in the development of online gaming. đź‘Ť

XBLA is a nice idea but it needs games with better value. Or just better games period. Thankfully the demos let you see how much money you could have wasted.

From GI (Game Industry):
This is could really turn out to be a big boost in the development of online gaming. đź‘Ť
I'm worried very much, and EA in particular is making these worries more feasible with the announcements for the next Madden and NFS Carbon, that this will just allow publishers to force players to buy things that should have been (and have been before) in the game when you buy it, à la GT:HD.

I'm worried very much, and EA in particular is making these worries more feasible with the announcements for the next Madden and NFS Carbon, that this will just allow publishers to force players to buy things that should have been (and have been before) in the game when you buy it, Ă  la GT:HD.

This has nothing to do with that, thanks for reading the article. This is about Sony funding titles that will be relased for download, similar to Xbox live Arcade. Titles like flOw, BlastFactor, Criminal Crackdown, Lemmings 2, and PS1 and PS2 games...this has absolutely nothing to do with microtransactions...

This has nothing to do with that, thanks for reading the article. This is about Sony funding titles that will be relased for download, similar to Xbox live Arcade. Titles like flOw, BlastFactor, Criminal Crackdown, Lemmings 2, and PS1 and PS2 games...this has absolutely nothing to do with microtransactions...
Article
"We're seeing an emerging strength in developers creating games specifically for downloadable content. We're seeing that as a really interesting way of stimulating creativity, experimentation... And it makes me feel as excited as about the games that we saw at the beginning of PS1, when there was a lot of really interesting innovation happening in the marketplace. I think we'll see that on PlayStation 3 as well."
That could be viewed as either making games only buyable/downloadable over the internet, or microtransactions. I think the Sony version of XBLA could be great, however, so long as it has better games than what XBLA has.

Well, with all due respect, you're taking it out of context based on one sentence. Sometimes, as in all reading, you have to read *everything* to come away with the intended meaning.

They are speaking soley, only, and completely, about games that are downloadable in their entirety. One game. Not added content to other games (though that is still present, but this article has nothing to do with that).

With that being said, so far, it looks like there are a lot of original titles on the way for the PS3, and a lot of them support multiplayer. i'm really hoping the Sudoku game will support online multiplayer...that would pwn...I love sudoku.

Well, with all due respect, you're taking it out of context based on one sentence. Sometimes, as in all reading, you have to read *everything* to come away with the intended meaning.
You are correct; and I will admit that, while I did click on the link, I only skimmed through it briefly.

Does anyone know if the PS3 will be offered at launch with both the reflective piano black and the matt silver finish that Sony showed in the promo pics last year?

The reason I ask is that since then I haven't seen any additional pics of the PS3 with the matt silver finish, and all the recent demo models have all had the reflective piano black finish.

After having just bought one of the new Limited Edition PS2, which comes in a really nice looking matt silver finish with matching controller, it makes me really want the same type of finish for the PS3. đź‘Ť

Does anyone know if the PS3 will be offered at launch with both the reflective piano black and the matt silver finish that Sony showed in the promo pics last year?

The reason I ask is that since then I haven't seen any additional pics of the PS3 with the matt silver finish, and all the recent demo models have all had the reflective piano black finish.

After having just bought one of the new Limited Edition PS2, which comes in a really nice looking matt silver finish with matching controller, it makes me really want the same type of finish for the PS3. đź‘Ť
Nope, the black is only available at launch. Sony might have different color varieties for the PS3 in the future, though.

I liked that one. It presented the product in a cool way and also spoke of the PS3's power in a subliminally. Way better than the stupid baby one.

nyclaunchparty.jpg

It's the Ps3 for commercial rap culture party. I can see it now. "It gota CELL PROCESSA!"

"...Like my phone?"

I was at Target the other day poking around for some X-Mas ideas (yes, I'm already thinking about it) and as I was taking a walk though the video game section for kicks, I couldn't help but laugh as I looked at the PS3 display. This was of course is accordance with displays at Best Buy, Circuit City, and even the local Meijer store. With the hype machine in full swing, it really is offering a lot of false hope to a lot of people who seem to think they are going to be able to get one before X-Mas.

...Ahhh, the beauty of capitalism!

Is there anyone here who had a pre-order? I've heard about some of them being pushed back as late as February or March 2007, and even then that looks a bit grim. I can't imagine what these things are going to go for on eBay, it scares me, really.

Is there anyone here who had a pre-order? I've heard about some of them being pushed back as late as February or March 2007, and even then that looks a bit grim. I can't imagine what these things are going to go for on eBay, it scares me, really.

1. I believe Jeremy Ricci got a preorder, but that's probably because of his connections with GameStop.

2. My guess is that the PS3 will go for at least $2000... with $3500 being the max.

Back