PS3 General Discussion

No, the flicker is a well known 1080i side effect. It happens all the time with even the best 1080p sets on the market today.

Not upscaling to 1080i is a pretty big screw up and I'm sure a fix will be on the way very soon. I'm not too worry about it since my HDTV upscales everything to 1080p, anyway.

Now there's a good reason not to use 1080i. Didn't know it was a common side effect. Thanks for the info.
I do hope it isn't a hardware issue. Still, so far I've not heard of any PS3's exploding. But I guess it's too early to tell..

(EDIT: Actually my DLP has shown a different fault whre the pic blinks off completely for a second then returns. That's why it's been at the workshop for the last 3 weeks!)
:grumpy:

ps3.jpg

I just got home from Gamestop with no fuss and I took this pic with my N93. Let me be the first to tell you, the box is heavy, or at least heavier than I expected. 15 pounds at least, you get every thing seen here. The Sixaxis feels very strange. No cord and very light. You do get a USB cable to charge it.

Very big, very shiney.

ps3.jpg

I just got home from Gamestop with no fuss and I took this pic with my N93. Let me be the first to tell you, the box is heavy, or at least heavier than I expected. 15 pounds at least, you get every thing seen here. The Sixaxis feels very strange. No cord and very light. You do get a USB cable to charge it.

Very big, very shiney.

Duh. It's like solid aluminum.

Got it connected to my wireless network. Easy cake, almost exactly to the PSP's XMB. I'm downloading the 1.10 firmware, it's taking a while.

Got it connected to my wireless network. Easy cake, almost exactly to the PSP's XMB. I'm downloading the 1.10 firmware, it's taking a while.
Wait a tic....you already had to get a firmware upgrade?

Viper Zero for President!

Anyway, here what I did last night, I went to walmart a little later than midnight, they told me that all the PS3 were sold out. Then I drove to circuit City near by and saw about 10-12 people waiting outside. Now if I decided to join them, there would be a big chance that I would have the PS3:dopey: , unfortunately, That circuit city didn't do midnight launch and I had something important to do in the morning (I had to talk with the girl in my avatar on Yahoo!, she's back in my home country, I knew her when we were in high school). This morning, done with the chatting, I came back to that same circuit City just to see exactly the same guys that I saw last night checking out with the PS3s in their hands (all 60gb):ouch: . I tried another trip to Target, also sold out:ouch: . Now I can say that I have "officially" failed to get the PS3 at launch, I had my chance but the circumstance didn't allow me to take advantage of it. However, no big deal, I'll have the PS3 sooner or later, it's not going anywhere.:sly:

Btw, congratulations to those who were able to get the PS3s, looking forward to your opinions.👍

Yes. It adds the Playstation Store and connection to you PSP, I believe. I'm downloading the [britishaccent]Motorstorm[/britishaccent] demo now.
I guess I assumed it would already have that installed.

Congrats on getting yours. I'll get mine when it becomes a matter of walking into the store and just asking for one.

At about 10:11 am, a PS3 aucton was ruined by a certain imchicken3, who had previously won a PS3 online.

The final bid was $99,999,999.02 (USD)

people are stupid.

Guys I may be importing a PS3 not from Ebay, but from someone who has contacts, however would $1,200 (£633.24) for a 60GB PS3 with 2 games and Fed Excel 2 day shipping be a good deal.

Well, that's around £120 more than buying in the UK next march ( 2 games and not including post). It's not an insane amount and for killer hardware (and as long as it works - you have no warranty unless it's registered with Sony from a US address) then go for it I say. I would if I had the money and contacts. But please, don't just take my word for it.
Also note you may not be able to go online at the PlayStation Store unless you have a US credit card. Don't think it affects games. Otherwise you may have to wait til the UK's launch. But it's all a bit confusing to me, to be honest.

Can someone who was fortunate enough to get one (PS3 of course) today, please insert GT4 and let us know just 'how good' it looks...please! :D

TIA!!

SRD:

congrats to everyone who managed to get ahold of a playstation 3 but is there anyone who can do an indepth talk about there ps3 and the games they got.
Hope this doesnt happen to anyone but i can see that a few people are going to get mugged whilst walking with there playstation 3s in hand as there are some a$$holes out there that would do that sort of thing

here u get jacked for having one of those minigames (tetris) :( at least they are trying to steal something worth stealing. (puts his ski mask on) hehehe.

lol everyone out there who has one is now too busy drooling over it to come post in here but i agree about wanting to know about gt4 working properly... i also want to know if anyone has tried buying the thing that lets you transfer your old gamesaves into the ps3s hard drive yet?

Duċk;2486129
IIRC, the PS3 doesn't have a scaler like a 360, and so supposedly because of this, it couldn't upscale to 1080i.
Graphic Processors, like those in the PS3 and in PCs are scalers. They act just like they do in a PC. Go to your resolution settings on your PC and you can change them to whatever is supported by that processor. The Nvidia processor in the PS3 can scale to any number of differnent resolutions, perhaps even greater than 1920x1080 as other high-end processors now can, and of course they can scale down to any number of different configurations.

If there is a problem with the PS3 scaling games rendered in 720p to 1080i, then it certainly sounds like a software glitch that should be easily fixed, although it may be a more complicated issue with the interlacer, and not the scaler.

Of course, those impacted by this make up a very small percentage of HDTV users. Anyone with a fixed pixel HD displays (LCD, DLP, LCoS[SXRD,D-ILA], Plasma), or CRT with a video processor, will be able to accept the 720p signal from the PS3, and for those with 1920x1080 displays, it will then be scaled by your display to 1920x1080, or whatever the maximum native resolution of the display.

Seriously, not only does this effect a very small percentage of probable users, and not only is it easily fixed using an external processor, but the PS3's processor does have the capability of doing this as well and will likely be fixed via a firmware update.

So there is no reason at all to suggest that anyone with an old CRT will be forced to play 720p games at 480, as they can fix it even without Sony making any changes... although i suspect Sony will address this issue any way.

In other words, if you are one of the few with a CRT and no processor, don't let it keep you up at night. Solutions are available without having to rush out and buy a new TV. 👍

(Although, with the rapid development of video technology over the last few years, to get the most out of the PS3, you may be much better off investing in the latest display technology.)

I'm starting to hear that some of the problems with PS1/2 games is because that since some of them aren't Blu-Rays, they won't work in the PS3.

Duċk;2486907
I know, I'm sure the problem (if fixable) will be fixed by '09. 👍
Most likely by '06. 👍

I'm starting to hear that some of the problems with PS1/2 games is because that since some of them aren't Blu-Rays, they won't work in the PS3.
None of them are on Blu-ray discs, and that would have nothing to do with it, otherwise all games on standard DVD and CD as used for both PS2 and PS1 games would experience the same problems. Blu-ray discs are read using an entirely different laser pickup.

From what has been reported, it appears the small percentage of games that are affected are having some software glitches, and have nothing to do with the optical disc format they are on.

Well, that's around £120 more than buying in the UK next march ( 2 games and not including post). It's not an insane amount and for killer hardware (and as long as it works - you have no warranty unless it's registered with Sony from a US address) then go for it I say. I would if I had the money and contacts. But please, don't just take my word for it.
Also note you may not be able to go online at the PlayStation Store unless you have a US credit card. Don't think it affects games. Otherwise you may have to wait til the UK's launch. But it's all a bit confusing to me, to be honest.
What if I sign up to the UK store version, when it launches in Feb 07.

For those who wondering what demo is available for download, check this out

found it in gtkings.com

Latest Posts

Back