PS3 General Discussion

That is an awesome picture :lol: , mine was pre-ordered so i basically walked in and out in about 10 minutes, mine was in a big box not a bag though.

I got a really sweet Playstation 3 - Play Beyond black and white canvas cag with mine that fits the console box and games down the side perfectly, when I first saw it handed to me I was more impressed with the bag than the console! :lol: Wanted another but its only one per PS3...

Then walking away with it through the streets I thought it was a really dumb idea by Sony because now I was like a big sign saying "Please Mug Me"

It basically had Playstation 3 on board plastered all over it and people were looking, plus and it weighed a ton.. I carried it for like 20 mins with one hand!! ahhh!

Robin

Things are looking quite good but its too early to say what will happen, at least its not like UMD which totally flopped!

UMD has not flooped, Not completely for the movies and definitely not the format as it is the medium that the soon to be 30 million(after holiday sales are in) psp's that have been sold use.

UMD has not flooped, Not completely for the movies and definitely not the format as it is the medium that the soon to be 30 million(after holiday sales are in) psp's that have been sold use.

I meant other than for game use the UMD format for video has disappeared, at least in the UK... You cannot buy them at any main high street store or supermarket and its never advertised. Having it for just games really wasn't worth the development of it.

Robin

*****Off Topic*****

If you think about it, what other option would they have? A small enclosed compact disc that holds 1.8 gigs is great for a portable device with that much power. Games would have to come on some form of disc to make it cheap, practical and near ps2 quality.

*****Off Topic*****

If you think about it, what other option would they have? A small enclosed compact disc that holds 1.8 gigs is great for a portable device with that much power. Games would have to come on some form of disc to make it cheap, practical and near ps2 quality.

They could have gone solid state... read only memory sticks... would have been more pricey to buy but the benefits would be plentiful.

- No dev costs for Sony
- 2GB memory sticks are now the norm so easy to produce
- Way longer PSP battery life
- Smaller package

It was memory sticks which were the reason for the UMD video format not doing as well as it could have done, people where just downloading films and sticking them on the memory stick.

Robin

Yea, just look at the DS. Though the graphics aren't even close to what the psp has.

I don't think its about the type of storage media its on, its about how powerful the unit is... The DS graphics are no where near as good as the PSP due to the fact the PSP has a more powerful chip, not because it doesn't use cartridges. A high speed MS can read just as much data as a spinning disk.

Robin

Solid state only would have been instant death for the PSP as profits are made off of game sales and far smaller markets would download games compared to buying them from retail. There would be no financial benefit to Sony with going solid state only and it would hurt them early and often. PSP games and DS games are not even close when it comes to the type of games they specialize in. Every single DS version of a PSP game is total crap and PSP has almost none of types of great games DS has. They are just not the same. Its a money factor and the PSP would have failed in its first year if you had to download all the games and store them somewhere. Requiring a PC or some kinda of massive storage to keep all the games on would turn many heads away from buying the system. And being able to play a single game at a time is just a bad idea.

Solid state only would have been instant death for the PSP as profits are made off of game sales and far smaller markets would download games compared to buying them from retail. There would be no financial benefit to Sony with going solid state only and it would hurt them early and often. PSP games and DS games are not even close when it comes to the type of games they specialize in. Every single DS version of a PSP game is total crap and PSP has almost none of types of great games DS has. They are just not the same. Its a money factor and the PSP would have failed in its first year if you had to download all the games and store them somewhere. Requiring a PC or some kinda of massive storage to keep all the games on would turn many heads away from buying the system. And being able to play a single game at a time is just a bad idea.

I actually meant selling them retail in a box with a read only memory stick in them!..... It would be exactly the same as selling a UMD only smaller, cheaper (for sony) and more efficient (battery life)... they only went down UMD route because they wanted to make it totally multimedia like DVD and that didn't come off as expected.

As I said the difference in graphics between the DS and PSP games is nothing to do with the media which the games come on..... its the system itself! Also Nintendo doesnt have all the licenses that playstation has.

Robin

That would not be efficient selling a memory stick game. Consider the price of
DS games and the size of PSP games.You can sell a 256mb rom based game for $30-40, you can not sell a 2GB MS game for $40. With size comes content and development cost, If 50% of the price of game goes to the storage, things will get expensive. UMDs are far cheaper to produce than memory sticks. They are just small DVD's in a plastic case. Going back to the cartridge vs CD/DVD that basically took Nintendo out of the lead by creating the Sony Monster. MS based games would not be cheaper than UMD.

You have to consider what these things mean to the developers and publishers. All the benefits you mention are for the consumer. No matter what happens to UMD movies it is a cost efficient optical disc for games no different that DVDs.

I meant other than for game use the UMD format for video has disappeared, at least in the UK... You cannot buy them at any main high street store or supermarket and its never advertised. Having it for just games really wasn't worth the development of it.

Robin

It was worth the development of it, because it allows PSP games to include high resolution video and significantly more content. This is why PSP games have music, voice acting, etc, as opposed to DS games, which run off of Midi tracks, have limited amounts of voice work, and low resolution videos / cut scenes.

It was more than worth it, considering the media capabilities and power of the PSP as a handheld.

I actually meant selling them retail in a box with a read only memory stick in them!..... It would be exactly the same as selling a UMD only smaller, cheaper (for sony) and more efficient (battery life)... they only went down UMD route because they wanted to make it totally multimedia like DVD and that didn't come off as expected.

As I said the difference in graphics between the DS and PSP games is nothing to do with the media which the games come on..... its the system itself! Also Nintendo doesnt have all the licenses that playstation has.

Robin

Again, not true. A large part of the difference with PSP games from DS games is from a presentation standpoint, and having more storage space allows for more content. Also I'm sure that the UMD disc is significantly cheaper than solid state memory (i.e. Memory Sticks).

You both make valid points and remember Sony did go with UMD in the end anyway, I was proposing a hypothetical route they could have gone down but ofcourse the retail costs may have put people off.

I remember that early on in the PS3 development it was rumored that it would run off UMD's!....... hmmm BluRay UMD's would be sweet!

Robin

I guess this demonstrates why I appreciate companies like Sony. They don't always go with the most cost-effective route, instead they develop high-technology alternatives that might have a higher initial cost, but are more effective in the long term.

The only movie advertisements i currently see on tv are for the normal DVD and for Blue-Ray, but not for HD-DVD.

You don't even hear people talk about HD-DVD. The only info i know is from the internet.

LOL, I just saw something made for a morning news program this morning about the Wii, PS3 and 360. They mentioned the PS3 is for "serious" gamers with its Blu-Ray player and processing power, then they mentioned the 360, where the only thing they mentioned about it was "it allows people to play online". I guessed they missed that out on the PS3 then. :lol:

I bought a 40 GB PS3 a couple of weeks back now.

$1,300+ (don't remember exact price).

Combo deal: PS3, SixAxis, Motorstorm, Resistance: Fall Of Man, Blue Ray DVD remote
+ Extra SixAxis ($95ish?)
+ Five year warranty ($250)

Good news!!!
Going to buy and pick up a second hand PS3 60GB with 2 controllers, 3 games and a HDMI cable for €500

The games are:
- Fifa 2008
- Need for speed carbon
- Resistance Fall of Man

Definitely going to sell the fifa game. And probably finish carbon, before i also sell it.

Quite a few second hand PS3's for sale now around and about....Why are people selling thier PS3's!?? Madness! :crazy:

Robin

What did they say about the Wii?

That they needed one :lol:

Glad BD is doing so well, my local HMV and Virgin have scaled down there selection of HD-DVD and filled the spare space with BD titles.

There are a lot of people who bought the 60gb starter pack before they sold out, so that they can sell them on ebay for almost €100 more.
Don't know why the person i'm buying it from wants to sell it.
I'll ask her tomorrow when i'm picking up the PS3.

edit: she just send me a mail that the got a higher bid for the PS3 :(
a really disappointed man right here. I already got the money from the bank, so i have to return that too. Bummer

Damn, that sucks. 👎

Hope you can get another good deal soon. And get CoD4!!!

now that was subliminal...

Back