PS3 General Discussion

There is no region codes for PS3 games. All PS3 games will work on any PS3. Import until you go broke.

And for a bonus cookie: Japan and the US are in the same region (Region A) for Blu-Ray movies, so it's all good.

Just like politics, the Mainstream Media (in this case: the blogs) will distort everything, the PS3 was always a very good system. It will take a while until people realize that it's the best system.

I have friends who come up and ask me about the PS3, which model to buy, what games, and other information. I've had maybe one person ask about the 360, but he was a bit younger, so that's a better fit for him. As owners and having factual information, I feel that it is up to us to bring positive light for the PS3, just like if you were helping a friend purchase their first HDTV, digital media player, or whatever.

I do the same and every time someone asks me about the PS3 I try to give them pretty straight info and try not to sound like a fanboy because I realize not everyone likes the same games as me. That said I'm pretty sure I have convinced some more of my friends into purchasing one with money tight for some.

Well ive sold about 150 - 200 PS3's and when ever a customer isnt sure between Xbox and PS3, they leave with a PS3, and most customers who come in wanting xbox, leave with ps3 lol.

im doing my bit. Ive seen about 25 - 30% of Xbox's come back and now that PS3 has a solid game database AND they are barely any price difference (Elite is more) its an easy cross sell.

I gave up the search for finding a 60GB PS3. Will wait till christmass, and then buy a 40GB.

I gave up the search for finding a 60GB PS3. Will wait till christmass, and then buy a 40GB.

Really?!

Here in Portugal there are only 60gb PS3's for sale, or at least I haven't seen any non 60gb on display.

Im kind of glad now that I bought my PS3 early because it has the EE and GS chip on board... those early 60GB's are becoming quite rare!

Robin

Im kind of glad now that I bought my PS3 early because it has the EE and GS chip on board... those early 60GB's are becoming quite rare!

Robin

Did you import??

I got mine day of launch and its emulation, no EE or GS in mine.

How well does the BC work using the emulation? I've yet to hear any reports one way or another.

Its ok but to be truthful ive hardly used it with PS1/PS2 games. but those I have tried worked ok apart from everybody's golf, the three click swing function has a delay so you cant make any shots.

I almost never play ps2 games on my ps3. I think I may have done it once or twice, but when my family comes over, they will want to. I have an early 60gb. I bought it in February.

I still tend to play my PS1/PS2 games upstairs on my PS2 and then all PS3 games downstairs.

Thats why when i get another PS3 I'm not bothered about this function and wont miss it, in fact i would rarther have a PS2 separate, because if one them goes I can still play games.

in fact i would rarther have a PS2 separate, because if one them goes I can still play games.

I agree, I have 2 working PS2's!! :)... still like playing on them rather than on the PS3 (using PS2 games obviously!)

Robin

How is Sony's warranty on the PS3?

Don't know, not had to use it yet, I haven't even looked at it.

TBH I never look at those things till the time arises, and all the Playstation's we have ever head, we have had only one, one PS1 from launch day no problems till five years down the line and it stated to stop reading disks, one PS2 again from launch day and no problems till just about a year ago when it stated to stop reading disks on CD not DVD hence the re purchase of the slim PS2, and one PS3 from Launch day and so far only one freeze and that was last weekend, and so far my Elite has had no problems from Day of Launch, just seems we get lucky with computers apart from PC's they have all gone belly up within a year due to hardware failure.

Ya mine was a 1-year warantee but I was thinking about talking to sony or the store I purchased it from about an an extension, I don't expect anything to happen but just to be safe I would like a longer warantee.

I think I read that it was a year warranty. I tried to fire up my PSTwo(slim) earlier this week. It would not turn on. :guilty: I've also owned the original Playstation and the regular PS2, and this was the only one to break. I hadn't used it since last spring or so, but it's not even two years old yet. Bummer.
There is no region codes for PS3 games. All PS3 games will work on any PS3. Import until you go broke.

And for a bonus cookie: Japan and the US are in the same region (Region A) for Blu-Ray movies, so it's all good.
Awesome. Thank you for the info. 👍

Slightly off topic, but how is Bluray going in your respective countries compared to HD-DVD?

Over here at least Bluray is available at the wall-mart type shops and you can rent them at the local video shop. As for HD-DVD well ive only ever seen them on sale once in a shop. I dont know any figures but even the small amount of Bluray would be surely beating the non existant HD-DVD

Lol, i said that i gave up searching, but had a look on a website and i found a second hand one for €650
That includes the PS3 60GB, 2 controllers and 8 games.
I think it's a very good price for a 40 days old PS3 with that amount of games, but my parents keep saying it's to expensive for a second hand device.

Well, they don't like it that i spend that amount of money on something like that, while i have a perfectly fine PS2 in my room.
(also spent a lot of money on my new screen, which i'm very happy with)

If i had a car (read driving license) , i would go myself to pick it up, but my parents don't want to take me there :(
And i don't have the time to take the train to there.

All a bit depressing when your parents really don't understand the way you think about something like that.
All they say is that i'm not listening, but they're not listening either.

Slightly off topic, but how is Bluray going in your respective countries compared to HD-DVD?

Over here at least Bluray is available at the wall-mart type shops and you can rent them at the local video shop. As for HD-DVD well ive only ever seen them on sale once in a shop. I dont know any figures but even the small amount of Bluray would be surely beating the non existant HD-DVD

Last thing I heard was that in the UK BLURAY was outselling HDDVD 2 to 1. A few major supermarkets and stores (I think blockbuster as well) have decided to stop carrying HDDVD. Things are looking quite good but its too early to say what will happen, at least its not like UMD which totally flopped!

Lol, i said that i gave up searching, but had a look on a website and i found a second hand one for €650
That includes the PS3 60GB, 2 controllers and 8 games.
I think it's a very good price for a 40 days old PS3 with that amount of games, but my parents keep saying it's to expensive for a second hand device.

Well, they don't like it that i spend that amount of money on something like that, while i have a perfectly fine PS2 in my room.
(also spent a lot of money on my new screen, which i'm very happy with)

If i had a car (read driving license) , i would go myself to pick it up, but my parents don't want to take me there :(
And i don't have the time to take the train to there.

All a bit depressing when your parents really don't understand the way you think about something like that.
All they say is that i'm not listening, but they're not listening either.

I understand the feeling, my parent still will nag me about spending too much but usually if I am set on something they will eventually stop bugging me. Sometimes the moaning doesn't stop even after I have bought the thing! They didn't care about the PS3 much because they know I am kind of a Sony fanatic and it wasnt expensive.

Robin

My dad was kinda upset I spent $500 on the 80gb model, but then he sat down and played MotorStorm and changed his mind.

My dad was inline first the night of launch to drop £400 down on games and pads ect, and i got the machine and a few games, altogether we spent just under £800 and my dad was more of a child with it than i was, he kept worrying about being first and not getting to the front to get his, it made me smile when we walked out of the shop with two huge bags.

dad.jpg

Back