PS3 General Discussion

Went to Shopko (I live in a small college town, so no Best-Buy or such) on an impulse, made a quick call to my brother on the backwards compatibility and such, and ended up buying the 60GB with MGS4 bundled. Also bought GT5:P. Shoe horned the thing into my MR-S, drove home, and hooked it up to my Vizio.

And that was that. Getting my TV was a far more interesting process...

I think thats called post traumatic stress. Of course you have to be careful with such items when your carrying them around, but had you fallen whilst running with it you could have smashed it! :scared:

I guess running was the wrong word. It was more of a jog. :) Yeah that woulda sucked if i dropped it in the parking lot. :(

When I got mine we put it into 2 of those fragile gamestop bags. It was a bit too heavy for them, and like you I had to walk a long journey back to the car. The bag was tearing the whole time, and the person I was with kept wanting to walk round town :scared:. Made it back to the car, but then before we got back home, she wanted to get something to eat :crazy:, she was trying to drive me crazy!

Yeah, the guy at the GameSTop counter was new. THe other employees had to help him with everything. :crazy: When i swiped my card there it took OVER A MINUTE for it to go thru!! :scared: I was like "oh, here we go...loooks like i'm not gaming tonite"

But i got lucky cause the new guy at the counter was putting the PS3 in the giant bag, and one of the other employees told him to put it in sideways, so i could carry the box by its handle. The bag had a pre-cut hole in its side, too. But the other employees mentioned that too: they said to carry it this way since the bag might rip. :lol:

This is some kind of big news day for the PS3.

First: If you or anyone you know has yet to get a PS3 Wal*Mart will offer a $100 gift card with the purchase of one Saturday.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/05/deals-ps3-with-100-gift-card-20-greatest-hits-kill-bill-blu/

There will be a Sega collection of 40 games coming out that will have them remastered at 720p.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/06/sega-mega-drive-ultimate-collection-announced-for-early-2009/

And weekly PS3 sales in Japan jumped 900%
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/06/japan-stops-ignoring-the-ps3-sales-jump-900/
Were GTA4 and LBP that big over there?

Oh snap, that Sega Mega Collection looks like a must have now. Shinobi III, Kid Chameleon, Columns, Streets of Rage... woot!

Went to Shopko (I live in a small college town, so no Best-Buy or such) on an impulse, made a quick call to my brother on the backwards compatibility and such, and ended up buying the 60GB with MGS4 bundled. Also bought GT5:P. Shoe horned the thing into my MR-S, drove home, and hooked it up to my Vizio.

And that was that. Getting my TV was a far more interesting process...

I want pics of the Vizio propped up in the Spyder's passenger seat with the top down. :D

I want pics of the Vizio propped up in the Spyder's passenger seat with the top down. :D

It wouldn't even fit. I had my ex-wife drive me and a friend that was a Costco member to a town with a Costco and picked it up. It started to rain on the box while we drove back :scared:

Sitting the back "seat" of, I believe, a pretty standard cab Tacoma is awkward when you are as tall as me...

I dont get it. Why would Japan "ignore" the PS3? Did some new games finally make it over there? :confused:
I have no clue what was going on, but for probably close to six weeks it was the slowest selling system of every system out. On the upside the PSP was on top and the PS2 was battling with the Wii. Between the 360 getting a bunch of JRPGs and Wii Music I think people shifted their buying habits for a while.

The Xbox 360 had a nice run for a few weeks in jpn with some RPG or something. But that has died off.
Yeah, I wondered if the 360 could keep that up after everyone who wanted those games had them. And I guess that Wii Music quickly got shoved aside, as it should have in development.

Looking at software sales for GTA4, LBP, and Gran Turismo 5: Prologue I am guessing that after the handful of desirable titles for the other systems were sold the main Japanese public decided that GTA would be best on the PS3 (not surprising considering they favor it over the 360 in general) and then combined with the LBP launch and their continued love of Gran Turismo it just got a huge boost.

I would be interested to see the sell-through rate of software on the 360 in Japan. I would not be surprised if only those JRPGs are being bought for it.

C'mon Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage! No whammy, no whammy, no whammy...
I am undecided if I will get it or not. I already have the PS2 Sega collection, but it has 15 less games and these are going to be in HD. I'll probably have to rent it to see if it is worth now having two Sega collections.

Oh, I got my PS Eye from Amazon today. Gonna try it out tonight.
Be sure to get Eye Create for free from the PlayStation Store. It is a video capture and editing software. Then last night I got Trials of Topoq and Operation Creature Feature. The poor lighting in my living room made Trials of Topoq have trouble sensing my motion, so I need to try it again with better lighting, but Operation Creature Feature was pretty awesome.

I also got Aquatopia, but unless you are big into aquariums I suggest giving it a pass.

I have no clue what was going on, but for probably close to six weeks it was the slowest selling system of every system out. On the upside the PSP was on top and the PS2 was battling with the Wii. Between the 360 getting a bunch of JRPGs and Wii Music I think people shifted their buying habits for a while.

Yeah, I wondered if the 360 could keep that up after everyone who wanted those games had them. And I guess that Wii Music quickly got shoved aside, as it should have in development.

Looking at software sales for GTA4, LBP, and Gran Turismo 5: Prologue I am guessing that after the handful of desirable titles for the other systems were sold the main Japanese public decided that GTA would be best on the PS3 (not surprising considering they favor it over the 360 in general) and then combined with the LBP launch and their continued love of Gran Turismo it just got a huge boost.

Maybe GT5 got released there in secret? :lol: No, just kidding. Maybe there's a tip that was published somewhere about some big event or new game about to show up on hte market.

Yeah, i read all those links above, can't find a clue as to why such a thing would happen. Sega Mega series (or whatever its' called) shouldn't cause such a huge stir...maybe a smaller one...but not +900% in sales. :confused:

In other news: Konami's financial report shows that, like always, the majority of their profits are due to the PlayStation platform.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/06...ults-show-incredible-reliance-on-playstation/

uspmkon425.jpg

And anyone who is interested; there is a 25% off Blu-Rays at Deep Discount if you use one of the coupon codes provided by PS3Fanboy.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/07/oh-no-its-a-25-off-blu-ray-sale/

I am undecided if I will get it or not. I already have the PS2 Sega collection, but it has 15 less games and these are going to be in HD. I'll probably have to rent it to see if it is worth now having two Sega collections.

After watching the trailer, it seems to be that the games will be up converted and in stretch-o-vision. Hopefully, there will be an option to keep in the original aspect ratio, like in the PSP version.

Be sure to get Eye Create for free from the PlayStation Store. It is a video capture and editing software. Then last night I got Trials of Topoq and Operation Creature Feature. The poor lighting in my living room made Trials of Topoq have trouble sensing my motion, so I need to try it again with better lighting, but Operation Creature Feature was pretty awesome.

I also got Aquatopia, but unless you are big into aquariums I suggest giving it a pass.

Yup, Eye Create was the first thing I downloaded last night. I was thinking about Aquatopia and Mesmerize as well. Just something fun to show off too my friends.

After watching the trailer, it seems to be that the games will be up converted and in stretch-o-vision. Hopefully, there will be an option to keep in the original aspect ratio, like in the PSP version.
I'm figuring it will be a Gamefly rental with a Keep It if it is good.

So one of my friends came over today. She isn't a gamer at all, and when she saw my new PS3, she thought it was an art peice! :lol: Like a big, weird shiny peice of pottery or something. Gotta admit, it does look "artsy"

It wouldn't even fit. I had my ex-wife drive me and a friend that was a Costco member to a town with a Costco and picked it up. It started to rain on the box while we drove back :scared:

Sitting the back "seat" of, I believe, a pretty standard cab Tacoma is awkward when you are as tall as me...

That's what you get for being the ex, I guess. ;)

The AQUOS' had to sit diagonally in the back of our Cherokee.

So one of my friends came over today. She isn't a gamer at all, and when she saw my new PS3, she thought it was an art peice! :lol: Like a big, weird shiny peice of pottery or something. Gotta admit, it does look "artsy"

Yeah im also really into its design, it does look very stylish / expensive and when I have people over who havent really seen one in the flesh before they do go over and have a look.

I think it has quite a retro look, like some chunky 80's VCR complete with chrome trim! :sly:

Robin

Yeah im also really into its design, it does look very stylish / expensive and when I have people over who havent really seen one in the flesh before they do go over and have a look.

I think it has quite a retro look, like some chunky 80's VCR complete with chrome trim! :sly:

Robin

True it looks great, I remember when I first bought it someone said it was worth the price just as an ornament! But the newer ones dont have the chrome anymore which is a huge pity, they look no where near as good.

True it looks great, I remember when I first bought it someone said it was worth the price just as an ornament! But the newer ones dont have the chrome anymore which is a huge pity, they look no where near as good.

It does look nice, but I hate that it is a dust collector. It seems to have a serious affinity for dust.

It does look nice, but I hate that it is a dust collector. It seems to have a serious affinity for dust.

OH YES! I was about to say this! I'm gonna have to buy a feather duster at some point, because i don't wanna get my fingerprints on it, nor do i want to spray windex on the surface! :lol:

Instead, i've been keeping the thin layer of padding that came with the PS3 in its box on top of it when i'm not playing. 💡 Is that ridiculous?

Did anybody read that interview with Kazunori? The guy who won (forget his name) apparently got a special-edition PS3 with a white ceramic surface! So it IS supposed to be an art peice!

If you wanted to use Windex, then you could do what I do when I clean my laptop's screen. I spray it onto a cloth, rub it into the cloth a little, and then wipe it onto the screen. Then I follow it with another cloth and dry it off. That gets the job down.

To clean my PS3 off, I have been using some of the fabric let over from having my nice slacks tailored. When they were shortened, the place I had them done at left the part of them they cut off in the pockets. I figured that is probably good enough to clean it.

Last edited:

Yeah I know, I saw the newer ones and was not very impressed, they have even removed the inset Playstation 3 lettering, now its just like sprayed on! :yuck:

Instead, i've been keeping the thin layer of padding that came with the PS3 in its box on top of it when i'm not playing. 💡 Is that ridiculous?

I have a cloth cover for mine which I put over it when I dont use it. Even so overtime when playing it it does get slightly dusty. All I do to clean it is fog it up with my breath and use an eye glasses cloth to wipe the surface! Yes lock me up! :sly:

Never the less its still one of the best looking run of the mill piece of home electronics and looks like it could compete with the style of stuff costing like 5 times as much!

Robin

OKay, so it is safe to use windex or even your breath. I was afraid i'd get smudges or somehting.

...of course, i could just read the dang manual that came with the system! :lol: I'm sure it has cleaning tips. Problem is i'm too busy gaming. :guilty:

I think i've got chrome on my PS3. Is it supposed to be a strip across the front area, including the slot where discs go?

OH YES! I was about to say this! I'm gonna have to buy a feather duster at some point, because i don't wanna get my fingerprints on it, nor do i want to spray windex on the surface! :lol:

Did anybody read that interview with Kazunori? The guy who won (forget his name) apparently got a special-edition PS3 with a white ceramic surface! So it IS supposed to be an art peice!

Actually, Ceramic White is just the name Sony uses for the white PS3 and PSP. Its still plastic.

Microfiber cloth. $2.99 in the Wal*Mart vision Center, or pretty much anywhere that sells stuff for glasses. If you want o get an over-sized one you can find the towel-sized version in any place that sells car cleaning supplies.

It is also the preferred way for cleaning your flat-panel TV screen and PSP. Basically anything with a smooth flat surface that you want to remove fingerprints, smudges, and dust from without risking scratches.

Microfiber cloth. $2.99 in the Wal*Mart vision Center, or pretty much anywhere that sells stuff for glasses. If you want o get an over-sized one you can find the towel-sized version in any place that sells car cleaning supplies.

It is also the preferred way for cleaning your flat-panel TV screen and PSP. Basically anything with a smooth flat surface that you want to remove fingerprints, smudges, and dust from without risking scratches.

OH cool, thanks. I will eventually get something for my PS3, but my 15-year old TV? I just use an old T-shirt or whatever is lying around! :lol:

I had quite the scare this weekend. My son tells me early Saturday morning that the PS3 isn't working. Sure enough I had some kind of real problem going on. Hitting the main power switch would get it to power up but for some reason it would actually not boot up. I just thought about what I was going to do for a few hours and then I thought it must have some kind of diagnostic safe boot start up procedure. Sure enough I took a shot and with holding my finger on the power button I could get a short list of features to show up. After trying a few options with no success I had to pick the dreaded format disk. Yep, lucky me had to wipe the slate clean and at least it did the trick.

Everything seems to be running fine again but I’ve lost all my downloads and game saves. That certainly is better then sending the whole unit in. Since I’ll probably be moving this weekend I don’t think I’m going to even bother with setting anything back up until I’m in the new place. I am curious to see how well all of my purchases will be remembered at the store.

Last edited:
I had quite the scare this weekend. My son tells me early Saturday morning that the PS3 is working. Sure enough I had some kind of real problem going on. Hitting the main power switch would get it to power up but for some reason it would actually not boot up. I just thought about what I was going to do for a few hours and then I thought it must have some kind of diagnostic safe boot start up procedure. Sure enough I took a shot and with holding my finger on the power button I could get a short list of features to show up. After trying a few options with no success I had to pick the dreaded format disk. Yep, lucky me had to wipe the slate clean and at least it did the trick.

Everything seems to be running fine again but I’ve lost all my downloads and game saves. That certainly is better then sending the whole unit in. Since I’ll probably be moving this weekend I don’t think I’m going to even bother with setting anything back up until I’m in the new place. I am curious to see how well all of my purchases will be remembered at the store.

Ouch! That hurts. When I upgraded from the 60gb to the 80gb (Best Buy warranty upgrade), I simply took my upgraded 160gb out and put it in the 80gb PS3 think everything would be fine. It wouldn't boot, so I too had to format over a 120gb's of PS3 data and saved games from over a year and a half of gaming. It hurt, I feel your pain, but I survived. All my purchases downloads were not a problem re-downloading (as long as you remember your PSN ID and password). By chance did you try a full recycle of power? Unplug from wall, hold power button down while unplugged, re-plug back in and turn on?

What version of PS3 do you have out of curiosity?

Back