PS3 General Discussion

Like the trophy info you may have been told, you have also been extremely misled by someone regarding this so-called "extremely slow download times" on the PS3... which is utter nonsense... not that you are to be blamed for it, just that who ever told you that, you should never count on them for accurate information any longer.
While I would not call the PS3 extremely slow by any means I have seen similar sized files downloaded on both systems on the same network. XBL does appear to be faster. Notice, I said appear. There are too many factors at play to give a 100% accurate measurement, and as you noted the 360 lacks a way to do a proper SpeedTest.

Including this:
One difference that is worth pointing out is that 360 updates are add-on patches, while a PS3 update is the full OS being downloaded again. Given the size difference, the PS3 one is going to take longer, but it is also the safer option as well.
I am not talking about the fact that 360 does small add-ons left and right compared to a full 120MB download for the PS3. You can't even attempt to compare that. Although, I will say that while hanging out with a friend Friday playing Gears 2 the two different updates were a tad annoying, even if they only took 10-15 seconds each. I would prefer a scheduled "long" downtime rather than doing that often.

No, the importance there is this: XBLA adds things as they come out throughout the week. Only demos and scheduled things are done weekly (Wednesdays), if I understand it correctly. So many of the downloads are spread throughout the week, much as their firmware updates are spread out in small bits. This spreads the traffic and server demand out.

Now, on the PSN the store updates everything once a week. All firmware updates happen at once in a scheduled way. This means that the majority of users are hitting all the servers at the same time.

Personal experience leads me to believe that this plays a huge role. When I catch a firmware update at the moment it rolls out, or grab it at like 6:00 AM it goes very quickly (15-20 minutes), but if I hit it at say 5:00 - 8:00 PM on the day it comes out it can take hours. The same goes for store updates. If I start downloading new store stuff on Thursday night right as it comes out I may be in bed before some of the larger demos finish. I actually have to prioritize my downloads based on desire and size. But on the occasions when I am not home Thursday night, or whatever, and I don't download new stuff until late Friday night or Saturday morning the download times seem to be cut in half.

Due to this, and I am sure a few other reasons, people with both systems side-by-side will feel as if the 360 DLs faster. It is easy to assume your 360 is much quicker when your updates happen very quickly and then you wait on a 120+MB download for a PS3 firmware.

In reality it is near impossible to set up a fair test. No matter what you do each individual will wind up with differing results based on their ISP and possibly even physical location. There are just too many variables. I think the best anyone can say is that one system downloads faster than the other for them.

Looks like Afrika will be coming to the US.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/11/19/national-geographic-publishing-afrika-in-the-us/

zebraafrica425.jpg

Remember Afrika? It's a nature-themed PS3-exclusive photography game that met moderate success when it debuted in Japan earlier this year. An English release seemed unlikely due to the niche content of the game, but it appears the game will be making its way to American shores -- and from an unlikely source, as well.

National Geographic has picked up the rights for Afrika, rebranding it as National Geographic: Africa. It's promised to release next month -- but with potentially very little fanfare.

Considering some of the online buzz that I have seen I wonder why it will get very little fanfare. I would market the heck out of this to parents.

Considering some of the online buzz that I have seen I wonder why it will get very little fanfare. I would market the heck out of this to parents.
I agree. Personally, I wouldn't be a fan, but with a 4 and 2 year old at home, I have a feeling they'll dig it during our doctor ordered 30 minutes of gaming per night. Might have to put it on the rental list. 👍

TB
I agree. Personally, I wouldn't be a fan, but with a 4 and 2 year old at home, I have a feeling they'll dig it during our doctor ordered 30 minutes of gaming per night. Might have to put it on the rental list. 👍

+1

If they are smart they'll advertise it on National Geographic HD channel, and definitely target schools and teachers.

Like you, I'm not sure if I'll play it, certainly not often, but I have two very young children my self, and nephews that range between 7 and 15 and they got excited just seeing the trailers for this game... and they were in Japanese no less.

This will be a release day purchase for me. 👍

While I would not call the PS3 extremely slow by any means I have seen similar sized files downloaded on both systems on the same network. XBL does appear to be faster. Notice, I said appear. There are too many factors at play to give a 100% accurate measurement, and as you noted the 360 lacks a way to do a proper SpeedTest.

Including this:

I am not talking about the fact that 360 does small add-ons left and right compared to a full 120MB download for the PS3. You can't even attempt to compare that. Although, I will say that while hanging out with a friend Friday playing Gears 2 the two different updates were a tad annoying, even if they only took 10-15 seconds each. I would prefer a scheduled "long" downtime rather than doing that often.

No, the importance there is this: XBLA adds things as they come out throughout the week. Only demos and scheduled things are done weekly (Wednesdays), if I understand it correctly. So many of the downloads are spread throughout the week, much as their firmware updates are spread out in small bits. This spreads the traffic and server demand out.

Now, on the PSN the store updates everything once a week. All firmware updates happen at once in a scheduled way. This means that the majority of users are hitting all the servers at the same time.

Personal experience leads me to believe that this plays a huge role. When I catch a firmware update at the moment it rolls out, or grab it at like 6:00 AM it goes very quickly (15-20 minutes), but if I hit it at say 5:00 - 8:00 PM on the day it comes out it can take hours. The same goes for store updates. If I start downloading new store stuff on Thursday night right as it comes out I may be in bed before some of the larger demos finish. I actually have to prioritize my downloads based on desire and size. But on the occasions when I am not home Thursday night, or whatever, and I don't download new stuff until late Friday night or Saturday morning the download times seem to be cut in half.

Due to this, and I am sure a few other reasons, people with both systems side-by-side will feel as if the 360 DLs faster. It is easy to assume your 360 is much quicker when your updates happen very quickly and then you wait on a 120+MB download for a PS3 firmware.

In reality it is near impossible to set up a fair test. No matter what you do each individual will wind up with differing results based on their ISP and possibly even physical location. There are just too many variables. I think the best anyone can say is that one system downloads faster than the other for them.

+1

Nice response, very sensible and easy to understand why I feel the way I do. I have tried everything suggested and nothing improves it, but the time thing is promising. On a new note I actually had to wait for my 360 to Dl the other day during my precious limited time, but only 6 mins, for the NXE update, gets me excited about Home a lot though.👍

Some great news perhaps

Huge Sony info blowout!

In attendance at the Sony Computer Entertainment Staff Annual Briefing held yesterday in London, an anonymous source going by the alias of ‘Legends’ has just tipped us off on all manner of huge PlayStation news. We must make it clear that D+PAD weren’t in attendance, but we have no reason to doubt the validity of Legends’ claims.

* Price cuts coming in March, PS3 performing better in PAL territories than 360

Our source tells us that SCEE President David Reeves took to the stage to discuss the current economic climate and how it shouldn’t affect PlayStation business, though was quick to mention that SCEE will be getting more competitive in price from March 2009 onwards. Our guess is that we’ll be seeing price cuts to PS3 around Easter to tie in with the release of Killzone 2…

Reeves then went on to say that the PS3 has a bigger install base than the 360 in PAL territories, and that the install base gap will significantly increase in 2009. Apparently SCEE is the success story of the SCE divisions, generating more profit than SCEA and SCEJ. 2008 sees it ‘in the black’ in profit our inside man revealed. Apparently there are more technological innovations to come for both PS3 and PSP, but details weren’t disclosed.

* Growth of PSN

PSN will be getting much more investment in the future, and having generated £150m in 2008, it’s considered a huge success for Sony. Sony Studio titles will also begin their life with a Blu-ray release and the franchises will be expanded with online content.

* LittleBigPlanet & MotorStorm coming to PSP

Our source also confirmed that LittleBigPlanet PSP is definitely in development and that Media Molecule have been working on it for four months. Footage was shown to attendees, though Alex Evans allegedly wasn’t prepared to show it himself because it was such an early build. “It looked good, obviously not PS3 good, but missing the level of detail that you get in a final release” says Legends.

MotorStorm PSP is on the way and ‘target footage’ was shown. No more details on that one.

* Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 & God of War 3 info

A 30 second clip of in-game footage of Uncharted 2 was shown displaying Drake being shot at, followed by an explosion. No full title or location was revealed though our source tells us that he did spot a wall with a line of 4 or 5 Aztec masks. Don’t expect a huge graphical leap though - “Looks the same as Uncharted 1, no bad thing”, says our source.

The intro to Killzone 2 was also shown off which “showed the character from the original trailer and a Helghan leader”. “Paints a picture of the world a bit more,” says Legends.

Finally our source revealed that God of War 3 was “masterfully shown at the end”, and that it looked so good our source wasn’t clear whether it was CGI or not!

The trailer showed Kratos wielding his swords and fighting off hoards of skeletons and Cyclops’s, before catching a ride on an eagle, and killing it when he got dropped off. The final scene showed Kratos looking up to a long dark, deep cavern, presumed to be Mount Olympus.

“Some of it looked like it could be in-game action because of the camera angles, but it all looked so good that it couldn’t be. CGI or not, everyone was pumped up by this. The anticipation is growing. God of War 3 could be amazing.”

So there you have it. Technological innovations inbound, PS3 price cut early next year, LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm coming to PSP, Uncharted 2 and an “amazing” looking God of War 3. What more could you want?

Source

I'm really excited for God of War III, I can't wait to play it. I'll be getting Africa as well as from what I've seen of it, it looks pretty cool, I just hope it isn't a kids game.

Woot! LBP for PSP will be great on vacation! Maybe in time for my cruise in the spring!

And God of war III will be some great stuff. The first two were amazing.

Whenever I download the same demos, for both systems(ex. nba live 09, or ncaa basketball 09) at the same time, the xbox 360 will beat the playstation by at least an hour. When I download them I start both systems within a few minutes of each other. The xbox will download a gig file in 20 minutes or less. The playstation 3 isn't really even worth checking until the next day. It literally takes hours to download the same size of file.

I'm pretty sure that's a fair test for me.

Everyone I know that has both says the same thing. There is no excuse for it.

Whenever I download the same demos, for both systems(ex. nba live 09, or ncaa basketball 09) at the same time, the xbox 360 will beat the playstation by at least an hour. When I download them I start both systems within a few minutes of each other. The xbox will download a gig file in 20 minutes or less. The playstation 3 isn't really even worth checking until the next day. It literally takes hours to download the same size of file.

I'm pretty sure that's a fair test for me.

Everyone I know that has both says the same thing. There is no excuse for it.
You are downloading them at the same time? No network splits bandwidth evenly.

Also, what day, time, etc can be different for each as if you waited until the PSN had the same demo as XBL then you have gotten past the XBL demand.

Were they both wired? Wireless? Where is the PSN server you accessed compared to the XBL server you accessed and does the difference affect ping rate?

I am not saying your assumptions are wrong, just that there are still too many variables to be looked at to make them a verifiable conclusion. For you, yes the 360 appears to be quicker and it cannot be denied.

All I know is that if I am downloading from the PSN outside of their peak load times I will download at the same rate SpeedTest says my network is running at. Now, if we wish to discuss my pitiful network speeds that is a whole new ball of fun.

Great post FK. 👍

All I know is that if I am downloading from the PSN outside of their peak load times I will download at the same rate SpeedTest says my network is running at.
Precisely. And for me at least, I have been able to download content off the PSN stores even during peak hours at transfer rates as high as 8,000 kb/s, which is slower than my ISP bandwidth, but still very fast.

For example, on average it takes me only three minutes to download a 1080p Blu-ray movie trailer, which are usually over 150 MB files.

Now if it was actually true that the PSN servers were as slow as "some" have suggested, then we would ALL be experiencing these so-called slow downloads, even in off-peak hours. The fact is that's not the case at all, and so people like Bevo have to look somewhere else to find the cause.

Based on past history, when you read threads on network related trouble shooting issues, 9 out of 10 times the problem was do to the equipment the person had, and or the settings they were using, and or problems with their own ISP service.

Unfortunately though some folks don't want to even consider that the issue lies with them, and find it much more convenient to blame any problems or anomalies on their favorite target of choice, whether it be Sony or Microsoft.

Networks and routers are very complicated things and are prone to any numbers of issues that can impact one or multiple devices connected to the same router.

Last edited:
Need HELP!
I don't know if it's the right place to ask, but I guess so.
Ok, I try to make a backup of the PS3s HDD, but it won't let me?

I bought a 80GB Maxtor external USB HDD and connected to PS3.
When I go to backup utility and choose backup it will ask if I want to perform a backup now, I go on yes and then it says I should insert a storage to the destination ( something along the lines) ...
Now my question is do I need to format the external USB HDD 1st so the PS3 could recognise it or buy another one ?

PS: The light of the external HDD is on and I have it connected to my 40GB PAL PS3.

EDIT/ I tried to format the external HDD on my PC, but FAT32 is not possible the only option is NTFS file system which won't help me much probably...
So how can I make a backup and which HDD should I use that is recognised by the PS3? Anyone?
Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
There is probably external HDDs that come pre-setup with a FAT32 partition, but I don't know any off the top of my head. Sorry. :(

As far as formatting on the PS3, that's unfortunately not possible.

Yep, that's the problem I think ^^
Thanks for the link. 👍
Will try that, but just out of interest, there isn't any external HDDs pre-formatted in FAT32 or maybe an option in the PS3 settings to format an external HDD without needing to have a computer ?
My Seagate 120Gb I got a couple of years ago was pre-formatted in FAT32. I don't know how you are supposed to tell what they are when you buy them though.

Need HELP!
I don't know if it's the right place to ask, but I guess so.
Ok, I try to make a backup of the PS3s HDD, but it won't let me?

I bought a 80GB Maxtor external USB HDD and connected to PS3.
When I go to backup utility and choose backup it will ask if I want to perform a backup now, I go on yes and then it says I should insert a storage to the destination ( something along the lines) ...
Now my question is do I need to format the external USB HDD 1st so the PS3 could recognise it or buy another one ?
External USB hard drives must be formatted to FAT32 in order for it to be recognized by a PS3, as it says in the PS3 Support and Knowledge Centers.

* All versions of the PLAYSTATION 3 system will be able to read from and write to most USB storage devices. There may be a few manufacturers' USB storage devices that will not work correctly with the PLAYSTATION 3 system. For external USB storage devices, they must be formatted to the FAT32 format in order for it to be recognized by the PLAYSTATION 3. To do so, please contact the manufacturer of the USB storage device.

Hmm, knock on wood, but what about when your PS3 breaks and/ or you forgot the pswd or you want to play your gamesave with a friend on his PS3 and then beeing screwed because you cannot earn anymore trophies... etc., etc.?
I know that's a lot ifs and whens, but I just think this hadn't been thought out very well...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is like the third or fourth thread I have now seen you post in over a relatively short amount of time, making some pretty critical remarks about the PS3 that have been untrue.

Granted, after it has been pointed out to you that you were mistaken, you always are good about recognizing the fact, but I can't help but wonder if the reason you have been so critical of the PS3 in certain situations may have a lot less to do with the PS3 and a lot more do to how little you apparently know about what the PS3 can and cannot do. :indiff:

Maybe this info may help you next time you think there is a problem with the PS3 or if you honestly think it wasn’t well thought out:

The physical manual is quite good, but the online manuals for the PS3 are even better! In fact, Sony has a direct link to the PS3's system software user guide from every PS3 located at the top of the Network menu bar in the XMB.

I also recommend you bookmark it in your PC's browser, here is the direct link as well as some other useful links:

In addition to all that, Sony also put together a very nice detailed guide to the PS3:

If you have ever had any question about anything to do with the PS3, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find an answer in a short amount of time among any number of those links. 👍

In addition, Wiki has several very informative listings regarding the PS3:

There are also several dedicated threads on GTP in the PS3 forum with lots of info, guides, and tips on using the PS3. Here are just a couple:

I have nothing against anyone being critical, or personally not liking the PS3 or any product for that matter, but it does bother me when people criticize or even praise a product that they not only do not know very well, but are wrong and would have easily known that if they had simply taken a little bit of time to make sure they were right before posting.

I hope the next time you are about to post what you think is a problem with the PS3, that maybe you'll consider checking out some of these references that might specifically shed light on what you believe is an issue, that perhaps isn't an issue at all.

Thanks! 👍

EDIT/ I tried to format the external HDD on my PC, but FAT32 is not possible the only option is NTFS file system which won't help me much probably...
So how can I make a backup and which HDD should I use that is recognised by the PS3? Anyone?
Thanks in Advance.
If your PC can't format FAT32, and your drive did not come with formatting software, use Google search and download a disc formatting program. There are plenty that can format a drive to FAT32.

My Seagate 120Gb I got a couple of years ago was pre-formatted in FAT32. I don't know how you are supposed to tell what they are when you buy them though.
The drives I have purchased have all said on the side of the box what file system comes preformatted. Not only that, but they also came with formatting software. I suspect most if not all manufacturers must by law reveal what file system each of their drives comes preformatted for. If the retailer doesn't tell you, I recommend checking the manufacturer's website or contact them directly... assuming one was not going to reformat the drive themselves, and needed a drive to be preformatted to a specific file system.

@FoolKiller ^^ Oh, I see. That's right, difficult to say before you buy it lol.

Ok, I got it done after some (minor) hiccups. Just for anyone's information, the 1st option with the command line didn't work as it said " the harddisc is too big for FAT32 " (after about 30 minutes), but that swissknife thingy did the job. Had to unplugg the HDD a few times before it recognised it though, which was probably because I use Vista on my PC which isn't supported by "swissknife".
Took less than 1 second to re-format into FAT32 finally though lol.

Thanks guys. 👍

I got a question are the new PS3s unable to play Ps1 games? I know that they can't play PS2 games, I been reading that they don't play Ps1 games either. Is there any truth to this?

kjb
I got a question are the new PS3s unable to play Ps1 games? I know that they can't play PS2 games, I been reading that they don't play Ps1 games either. Is there any truth to this?

AFAIK, the models have the same BC features as the 40 GB models, which means they can play PS1 games, just not PS2.

From,
Chris.

As far as the fat32 vs ntfs formatting goes, although I've been aware of how to do it I have so far never encountered a drive that the ps3 didn't instantly recognize, including hard drives my friends use on their 360s. I can usually see every folder on the drive by clicking "display all" and choose what I'm looking for from there even if there is no ps3 folder system set up.

EDIT: every PS3 made so far will play ps1 games, that isn't likely to change in the near future.

OK, Blu-Ray just became ultra-awesome and insane at the same time.
I'm guessing you just heard about Warner Brothers’ latest BD-Live feature, "My WB Commentary" which allows users with a PS Eye or webcams to record their own video commentary and even share it online with others who can then play the same Blu-ray movie and watch your video commentary with picture-in-picture.

:D

For my fellow film enthusiast, this perhaps more than any other BD-Live feature has them giddy as a bunch of school children with keys to the local candy shop. :)

holy buttmuffins ... 16 layer , 400G

''These super high density discs won't be available until 2010, just in time for Hideo Kojima's next game''

so there doing this for the new MGS games?

''These super high density discs won't be available until 2010, just in time for Hideo Kojima's next game''

so there doing this for the new MGS games?
PS3Fanboy (and all Joystiq sister sites for that matter) love their sarcastic jokes. It was referring to the fact that MGS4 filled the 50GB BD and Hideo Kojima said that he had to trim it up some because of space constraints.

Back