PS3 General Discussion

A couple of thoughts on my PS3:

Firstly, I'm amazed at how quiet it is. I had a 360 a couple of years ago and the noise it made when you tried to put in a game was horrendous. This is so smooth.

Secondly, I really can't get used to a wireless controller, I keep trying to "flick" the lead with my hands, but there's nowt there. Dead happy with it so far. Enjoying Assassin's Creed too. But then at £8 it would have to be really bad to not enjoy it.

Secondly, I really can't get used to a wireless controller, I keep trying to "flick" the lead with my hands, but there's nowt there.
It felt weird at first but I quickly got used to it. Then I was trying to play Super Smash Brothers on my Wii with a Gamecube controller and I kept nearly pulling the system off the shelf. I got so tired of having to either sit in a closer chair or rsik damaging my system that I began scouring stores for a used Wavebird.

I cannot go back to a wired controller now.

So, any games other than AC?

Secondly, I really can't get used to a wireless controller, I keep trying to "flick" the lead with my hands, but there's nowt there. Dead happy with it so far. Enjoying Assassin's Creed too. But then at £8 it would have to be really bad to not enjoy it.

I remember doing the same when I first got my PS3, now I have to agree with FK I just could not go back to wired controllers.

Good to hear you are enjoying your PS3 👍

Feel free to add me to your friends list.

Regards

Scaff

I used to do the same thing when I first bought my PS3 and Xbox 360. I would always try to move the wire out of the way of my coffee table, which was always fun when there were witnesses to my confusion.

If you're looking for a new PS3 game.... Here's a hint....

FALLOUT 3!!!!!

Do not stop at go. Do not collect $200. Go straight to your local video game shop and beg if you have to.

Best game of the year by quite a margin.

;)

FALLOUT 3!!!!! LittleBigPlanet

Do not stop at go. Do not collect $200. Go straight to your local video game shop and beg if you have to.

;)
Fixed.

Not that I have played Fallout 3 yet.

I used to do the same thing when I first bought my PS3 and Xbox 360. I would always try to move the wire out of the way of my coffee table, which was always fun when there were witnesses to my confusion.

FALLOUT 3!!!!!

;)

I like what I've seen, so far. I hope there's a good story to go with it. I have this game listed second in my new GameFly account, after BioShock. Two FPS games in my Q; never thought that would ever happen.

It felt weird at first but I quickly got used to it. Then I was trying to play Super Smash Brothers on my Wii with a Gamecube controller and I kept nearly pulling the system off the shelf. I got so tired of having to either sit in a closer chair or rsik damaging my system that I began scouring stores for a used Wavebird.

I cannot go back to a wired controller now.

So, any games other than AC?

GT5:P is on order. Fallout 3 looks immense, I'll probably plead for a game for Christmas. Theoretically I don't want to buy too many games because college is going to be hectic up until about the end of January, but theory and practice don't always work ;) Going to p/ex some of my old PS2 games. Got any recommendations? I've been impressed with the several demo's I have of F1:CE.

Speaking of controllers. Is there any way to get a Williams F1 wheel for the PS2 to work on the PS3? I presume not. That's something else to go on the selling list then...

Scaff
I remember doing the same when I first got my PS3, now I have to agree with FK I just could not go back to wired controllers.

Good to hear you are enjoying your PS3

Feel free to add me to your friends list.

Regards

Scaff

It works so well, as it's a lot more than just a console. Really good value for money. Something which may be of interest to you Scaff, I'm thinking of getting the BD of Foo Fighters at Wembley, yes/no?

Edit: Ha, my research was good, not released until 17th November.

Last edited:
Got any recommendations? I've been impressed with the several demo's I have of F1:CE.
F1:CE is good. DiRT is also a good title too, if you like rally/off-road type stuff. I also highly recommend Uncharted.

WipEout HD is awesome from the PSN, as is Super Stardust HD, PixelJunk Monsters, PixelJunk Eden, and Echochrome.

I also like PAIN and High Velocity Bowling, but those are love or hate titles.

Speaking of love or hate: Metal Gear Solid 4 if you are a fan of the series. At least rent it if you aren't. That is one of my favorites.

And LittleBigPlanet is just pure awesome, so I suggest giving that a rent too.

I really liked the Bioshock demo and intend to get that game, so check out the demo. Also check out the Warhawk demo and give it a try. It is online only, but with up to 32 player online battles it is pretty fun.

Also, do yourself a favor and go ahead and set up multiple PSN accounts for different regions. I suggest at least US, Europe, and Japan, but I also have Hong Kong (basically the Japan store in English, although it sometimes misses out on content) and Australia, which is basically the same as Europe but they occasionally have minor differences. The regions won't accept payment from other areas, but all the free stuff will work across all regions.

And I think I have managed to mention pretty much every awesome non-multiplatform title.

Oh wait, Rock Band. OK, I think I am done now.

Honestly, I suggest hitting up every demo on all the various regions' PSN stores you can. You sometimes find a gem.

Fixed.

Not that I have played Fallout 3 yet.

To be honest, it looks ok, but I tend to be into the more mature themed games. Adult story lines, adult situations, realism. Although I do play quite a few RPG's as well (JRPG's and WRPG's). I have played PAIN quite a bit, but alas I've started losing interest in it. The Arcade games just don't hold my interest for long. A good story, and good art design do more to keep me interested.

MGS4 is definitely a must buy if you like the series.

Uncharted was ok, but the aiming system was (and there's no other way to say this) broken. Not to mention the story falls apart at the end. Very pretty game, though.

Bioshock is a fantastic game. Beautiful art design, great story, and good gameplay. A bit short, and a tad easy, but wonderful nonetheless.

;)

+1 on FoolKiller's recs. 👍

Uncharted was ok, but the aiming system was (and there's no other way to say this) broken. Not to mention the story falls apart at the end. Very pretty game, though.
What was broken about the aiming system?

I ask as a friend of mine had trouble with the aiming as well until he discovered the Aiming Sensitivity Control in the options menu. I personally had no issues with the default setting and aiming system, and was able to get the 100 headshot trophy in very short order.

I also put a high value on gameplay and story, and I thought the story in Uncharted was very compelling and didn't fall off at all... but I respectfully understand that we can both be right, as it can only be judged subjectively, and not everyone will agree on what qualifies as a great story, or how well it keeps your attention.

I also thought Bioshock was a fantastic game, and couldn't agree with you more regarding the amazing art design. I can't say the storyline was great, but rather the backstory that created the enviroment and circumstances in which you are placed was great. However once you start playing the game, there is not much to the story that pushes it forward, but rather emphasis learning about the past, which is one of the differences I found between it and Uncharted.

Regardless, I would highly recommend both of these games in addition to many of the ones FK mentioned! 👍

Last edited:
F1:CE is good. DiRT is also a good title too, if you like rally/off-road type stuff. I also highly recommend Uncharted.

WipEout HD is awesome from the PSN, as is Super Stardust HD, PixelJunk Monsters, PixelJunk Eden, and Echochrome.

I also like PAIN and High Velocity Bowling, but those are love or hate titles.

Speaking of love or hate: Metal Gear Solid 4 if you are a fan of the series. At least rent it if you aren't. That is one of my favorites.

And LittleBigPlanet is just pure awesome, so I suggest giving that a rent too.

I really liked the Bioshock demo and intend to get that game, so check out the demo. Also check out the Warhawk demo and give it a try. It is online only, but with up to 32 player online battles it is pretty fun.

Also, do yourself a favor and go ahead and set up multiple PSN accounts for different regions. I suggest at least US, Europe, and Japan, but I also have Hong Kong (basically the Japan store in English, although it sometimes misses out on content) and Australia, which is basically the same as Europe but they occasionally have minor differences. The regions won't accept payment from other areas, but all the free stuff will work across all regions.

And I think I have managed to mention pretty much every awesome non-multiplatform title.

Oh wait, Rock Band. OK, I think I am done now.

Honestly, I suggest hitting up every demo on all the various regions' PSN stores you can. You sometimes find a gem.

Thanks, luckily I can rent about 4 games for free from the place where I brought my PS3 :cool:

It works so well, as it's a lot more than just a console. Really good value for money. Something which may be of interest to you Scaff, I'm thinking of getting the BD of Foo Fighters at Wembley, yes/no?

Edit: Ha, my research was good, not released until 17th November.

Got my copy on pre-order, should be amazing.

In terms of games, it depends on what you like, but I would personally recommend the following:

Driving
GT5:P (but you have that on order)
Ferrari Challenge (iffy on-line but great physics)
DiRT (good fun)
F1:CE (could be the last great F1 game now that Codemasters have the licence)
Wipeout HD (£13 and you can't go wrong)

FPS
Call of Duty 4 (simply excellent story and on-line)
Battlefield : Bad Company (big environments and the ability to blow up everything)
Far Cry 2 (a love or hate game, huge open world that rewards a slow measured approach)
Warhawk (OK so its not first person but it is stunning to play and now very cheap)

Adventure
Uncharted (stunning looking, great to play and a strong story - now very cheap so well worth it)
Ratchet and Clank (FUN)
MGS4 (if you like the series this one is a must - just a pity Konami put in place such a stupid money grabbing on-line mess - play it for the story and ignore the on-line)

Fun Stuff
Buzz (just add beer for a good time)
Singstar (guilty secret this one - it is however a good laugh and gets people playing)
Anything from Pixeljunk (Monsters, Eden, etc) - rock hard games - but great to play
High stakes Poker (I can't help it I just enjoy this one)

However the stores (and I to would recommend multiple accounts for the store access - I have UK, US, Japan, Australia and Hong King) have a lot of demos, download them and give them a go.

Regards

Scaff

Nigel, can't believe that no one has recommended Grand Theft Auto 4 to you yet. Buy it now! - your life will be enriched by it's goodness for sure.

GTA4 got old fast. I saw no point in jumping through unentertaining hoops to get 100% like I did with Vice City (which was fun) and San Andreas (which was a chore).

But now the trophy patch is out... Well, you can see if you're on my Friends list :D

Or you can just take your time doing the story line missions. That's 3 months of great gameplay for any normal person.

If your an F1 games fan then I would highly recommend F1:CE, based on the 2006 series it is obviously a bit dated now but still has a large amount of fans. And we're fairly active in the F1:CE forum, organising both on and offline competitions between ourselves. By now you should be able to pick up a copy for very little money.

On another note, many of you know I have no PSN right now, so I havent been able to download GT5P spec III or the new GTA trophy patch. If I bring the discs to a friends house and then download the updates will they be saved to the disc so as I can then use the updates on my PS3 or are the saved on the HDD or how does that work?

On another note, many of you know I have no PSN right now, so I havent been able to download GT5P spec III or the new GTA trophy patch. If I bring the discs to a friends house and then download the updates will they be saved to the disc so as I can then use the updates on my PS3 or are the saved on the HDD or how does that work?

I'm pretty sure it updates the HDD data, the BDs are not writable. You'd have to take your PS3 round to your friend's house to update the games.

Or you can just take your time doing the story line missions. That's 3 months of great gameplay for any normal person.

It's okay, I guess. But it's nothing new - I suppose the earlier games spoiled us and now we've seen it all before.

I'm currently 32% of my way through the storyline missions inside 3 hours, in order to get my Liberty City Minute (complete storyline in 30 hours) trophy. I reckon I've a good shout of pulling it in 11 hours.

I'm pretty sure it updates the HDD data, the BDs are not writable. You'd have to take your PS3 round to your friend's house to update the games.

Ah damn, I was thinking that was the case. Any suggestions other than carting the PS3 an awfully long journey?

Thanks for letting me know anyway. :indiff:

Ah damn, I was thinking that was the case. Any suggestions other than carting the PS3 an awfully long journey?

Thanks for letting me know anyway. :indiff:

I'm unsure of the technicalities behind it, i've never tried it myself, but maybe you could use a USB Flash drive or external hard drive to transfer the data from a friends PS3?

I'm unsure of the technicalities behind it, i've never tried it myself, but maybe you could use a USB Flash drive or external hard drive to transfer the data from a friends PS3?

I have two accounts, so if I deleted the game save from say my GTP account and then uploaded the new spec III save from a USB to that account, would or could there be any issues with the other account being messed up or damaged from the new game save, seeing as though they'd be both runing with different game saves? I suppose I could delete both game saves, which wouldnt be a big issue with GT5P, but I dont think I want to go through the entire GTA4 game again!
I'll try something, if it doesnt work I'll blame you! 💡 Just joking. 👍

Doesn't work I'm afraid.

Update info for games is held separately from the saves (which can be easily copied) and can't be copied directly to any form of external drive.

From the XMB

Saved Data Utility (game saves) - can be copied directly to a USB datastick or external drive
Game Data Utility (updates and DLC content) - can't be directly copied at all.

You can make a backup of all data on the HDD, but this would not solve the issue either, as you can't select what you back-up and you can only restore to the PS3 that made the back-up.

The only option here is to actually get your PS3 on-line.

Sorry

Scaff

Last edited:
I have played PAIN quite a bit, but alas I've started losing interest in it.
11/6 will see David Hasselhoff as a playable character and a new Movie Studio themed environment with Buzz from Buzz Quiz TV as an included playable character. The Hoff alone should be enough.

But they are in test for their online patch right now, so when that goes up it should make it more entertaining. I know online got me back into High Velocity Bowling.

Regarding LBP, give it a try. I know way too many people who sound like you who gave it a try and can't stop talking about it now.

What was broken about the aiming system?

I ask as a friend of mine had trouble with the aiming as well until he discovered the Aiming Sensitivity Control in the options menu. I personally had no issues with the default setting and aiming system, and was able to get the 100 headshot trophy in very short order.
I had no issue with the aiming system either, but then I had just finished playing straight through the entire MGS series too.

I also put a high value on gameplay and story, and I thought the story in Uncharted was very compelling and didn't fall off at all...
I had one complaint regarding story, but fortunately it only affected one or two chapters. The (avoiding spoilers here) third party that suddenly shows up annoyed me. The story was fine on its own without that being thrown in. Oh, and too many games are using that nowadays.

Anything from Pixeljunk (Monsters, Eden, etc) - rock hard games - but great to play
Even PixelJunk Racers? And Monsters is now updated with difficulty settings to make it not so hard.

Nigel, can't believe that no one has recommended Grand Theft Auto 4 to you yet. Buy it now! - your life will be enriched by it's goodness for sure.
I don't get into the sandbox crime games, so I didn't suggest it because I haven't even played it.

GTA4 got old fast. I saw no point in jumping through unentertaining hoops to get 100% like I did with Vice City (which was fun) and San Andreas (which was a chore).
If you ever watch Zero Punctuation you will see that Yahtzee agrees with you in his Saint's Row 2 review. He basically said that Saint's Row 2 is what GTA4 would have been if had remembered to be fun, because when you give people a sandbox game with guns they will want to kill people, steal things, and blow stuff up, not chat with their cousin on the phone every 15 minutes.

Scaff
The only option here is to actually get your PS3 on-line.

Just to add. This was so easy to set-up for me. I'm on wireless, so there was obviously not much to do, apart from remember the password.

GTA4 was a huge disappointment... graphically I was not impressed, and it was just no fun (don't get me started on the driving physics). I'm seriously thinking about getting Saints Row 2... hopefully its more like Vice City, which was the best GTA so far.

Anyone try out the End War demo? The voice command actually works!

Yep, and I didn't like it. You just give orders, that's it? Not for me. No mic-thingy, either.

Climbing around on top of buildings like a crack-addicted chimp loose in the city didn't appeal to me, either.

Back