PSVR2 on PC

• Thread starter VR-SORN
  • 46 comments
Well I messed up. I had my order in on Amazon so I thought I was good.. Didn't order one from PS direct even though I saw it there with plenty of time to order. Now my Amazon order is stuck on "order received", and it'll probably get cancelled or switch to back-ordered or whatever. Ow well.. Guess I'll wait for the next batch. 🤷‍♂️
I should have just ordered from PS direct, and cancelled the Amazon order when I had the chance. I'll probably have to upgrade my CPU/ Mobo for a good experience anyways.

Sony did us dirty by dropping the price of the PSVR2 before the adapter went on sale. So now there's insane demand for a product that didn't get extra supply. I was lucky enough to buy one from GS and their broken 'Not Available' button. Its shipping out so I got lucky, but I couldn't find that PC adapter to save my life yesterday. It is nice to not have to pay scalper prices for once :lol:

Jerome

As soon as they appeared in numbers on ebay at inflated prices they were back in stock at PlayStation Direct. NICE. Mines on the way today.

It turned up. Now I need to figure out how PCs work (I’m a Mac guy 😁 and only use the PC as an experiment for AMB2).

image.jpg

UK customer here. I get the Arabic style writing on my box. From Sony Direct.
I dread to think of the translation costs it took on your box to rewrite "Windows PC" to the other regions langauge of "PC Windows"....

1000003962.jpg

Last edited:
I finally set up the PSVR2 on PC today. This is running on a hand-me-down gaming rig with a 5 year old Ryzen 5, RX 5700XT graphics and 32GB memory. It runs fine but I had issues getting it working. The caveat here is that I am not a PC gamer and have no idea what I am doing on PCs outside of the workspace. Typically I am MacOS and PS5 only.

During set up it threw some errors stating that my GPU was not compatible with D3D11. Looking that I got me to check things in Device Manager which stated that my GPU drivers could not be loaded due to some error. In the end I downloaded AMD's Adrenalin software to detect and perform a complete refresh of all drivers. Once that was done I went back into setup.

This time it threw an error stated that my display port cable was not 1.4 compatible. It is. It's this one https://amzn.to/3AdT9h9. Anyway I ignored that and proceeded on which appeared to work. Some more set up happened during this time so things may not have completely installed when it checked the cable.

I fired up Automobilista2, a game I have not played much and so don't really know how to use it. So far I've only driven Porsches around Road America. I find AMB2 a difficult game to figure out how to play as it is very hard core on tuning and set up and gives very little instructions as far as I can tell. That said, I was able to figure out how to drive even though the menu process is horrendous.

Driving...

Wow, oh wow. I would say there are two levels of rendering. There is what is up close, cockpit, HUD etc, and then there is track distance. Up close is so sharp. HUD elements are pin crisp in detail. It is very impressive. Track elements and distance is much lower resolutions. I think that more my default graphics settings then any PSVR2 failings. My gut feel is that if you have the hardware to drive this with high detail settings then the PSVR2 looks like it can be running in higher detail than say GT7.

Now, I just need to figure out SteamVR more and AC, ACC, Dirt Rally and AMB2 as for the last year and a half it has only be GT7.

Last edited:
I finally set up the PSVR2 on PC today. This is running on a hand-me-down gaming rig with a 5 year old Ryzen 5, RX 5700XT graphics and 32GB memory. It runs fine but I had issues getting it working. The caveat here is that I am not a PC gamer and have no idea what I am doing on PCs outside of the workspace. Typically I am MacOS and PS5 only.

During set up it threw some errors stating that my GPU was not compatible with D3D11. Looking that I got me to check things in Device Manager which stated that my GPU drivers could not be loaded due to some error. In the end I downloaded AMD's Adrenalin software to detect and perform a complete refresh of all drivers. Once that was done I went back into setup.

This time it threw an error stated that my display port cable was not 1.4 compatible. It is. It's this one https://amzn.to/3AdT9h9. Anyway I ignored that and proceeded on which appeared to work. Some more set up happened during this time so things may not have completely installed when it checked the cable.

I fired up Automobilista2, a game I have not played much and so don't really know how to use it. So far I've only driven Porsches around Road America. I find AMB2 a difficult game to figure out how to play as it is very hard core on tuning and set up and gives very little instructions as far as I can tell. That said, I was able to figure out how to drive even though the menu process is horrendous.

Driving...

Wow, oh wow. I would say there are two levels of rendering. There is what is up close, cockpit, HUD etc, and then there is track distance. Up close is so sharp. HUD elements are pin crisp in detail. It is very impressive. Track elements and distance is much lower resolutions. I think that more my default graphics settings then any PSVR2 failings. My gut feel is that if you have the hardware to drive this with high detail settings then the PSVR2 looks like it can be running in higher detail than say GT7.

Now, I just need to figure out SteamVR more and AC, ACC, Dirt Rally and AMB2 as for the last year and a half it has only be GT7.
Thanks for this. It was a really enjoyable read. Would you be able to post again once you've spent more time in AMB2 and AC?

I don't have a gaming PC and have only played a lot of GT7 but can't stand the lack of good AI, custom championships, practice and qualifying, customisable HUD, and a few other things. The game could be all I'd ever need with just a few tweaks but the devs aren't interested in the changes I'd like to see, even though they're really obvious!

I'm thinking of saving up for a PC but £2000 is a lot of money so I'm keen to hear how the other games compare to GT7 in general, but specifically in the PSVR2.

Thanks in advance!

Also interested to hear more impressions from GT7 players with the PSVR2 on PC.

I used to play AC a lot, love the variety of cars and tracks available and I do miss it. It's moved on so much since I last played that I'm getting keen to get back in to it, and the improvement in graphics with the PSVR2 (I have an Oculus CV1 on the PC gathering dust...!) could well seal the deal...

Interested to hear about performance etc., I'll inevitably need to build a PC for it as mine is about 4 generations of graphics card out of date by now, so happy to patiently observe at the moment and suspect it'll be a winter obsession in a few months time!

Also interested to hear more impressions from GT7 players with the PSVR2 on PC.

I used to play AC a lot, love the variety of cars and tracks available and I do miss it. It's moved on so much since I last played that I'm getting keen to get back in to it, and the improvement in graphics with the PSVR2 (I have an Oculus CV1 on the PC gathering dust...!) could well seal the deal...

Interested to hear about performance etc., I'll inevitably need to build a PC for it as mine is about 4 generations of graphics card out of date by now, so happy to patiently observe at the moment and suspect it'll be a winter obsession in a few months time!
My PC is 5 years old. So far I have only driven Automobilista2 in VR and my understanding is that AMB2 is very efficient graphics wise compared to some other games. On my hardware, I would say that the visuals are as good at the GT7 on PS5. I'm on AMD hardware so i am current "stuck" at 120hz and can't do the 90Hz option but I haven't noticed a huge downside to that. My distance rendering is lower resolution and a bit blocky but honestly it's not terrible and doesn't seem that much worse that GT7. Near objects are rendered in stunning detail.

AC may have a stronger hardware need than AMB2. If you are wanting to get back to PC I say go for it. The PSVR2 looks fabulous.

Last edited:

ACC, AC, F124, AM2 and DR2 test gameplay

Comparison vs Quest

Thanks for those, will give them a watch later :)
My PC is 5 years old. So far I have only driven Automobilista2 in VR and my understanding is that AMB2 is very efficient graphics wise compared to some other games. On my hardware, I would say that the visuals are as good at the GT7 on PS5. I'm on AMD hardware so i am current "stuck" at 120hz and can't do the 90Hz option but I haven't noticed a huge downside to that. My distance rendering is lower resolution and a bit blocky but honestly it's not terrible and doesn't seem that much worse that GT7. Near objects are rendered in stunning detail.

AC may have a stronger hardware need than AMB2. If you are wanting to get back to PC I say go for it. The PSVR2 looks fabulous.
Appreciate the feedback, thanks

Interested to hear about performance etc., I'll inevitably need to build a PC, so happy to patiently observe at the moment and suspect it'll be a winter obsession in a few months time!

These are my exact thoughts coming out of your keyboard!

Back