Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,839 comments
Uh.

576693562_bd088b3e01.jpg

Whoever made this Mustang have good taste with crafting the Falcon grille into a similar year Mach 1. đź‘Ť

Just a twin headlamp arrangement and some grille material, it isn't off a Falcon. It does look good, but it would be even better if it was shrunken more in the space it ocuppies. The rest of the car is awesome with the exception of the chromed hood air intakes. Everything else is street-freak cool.

*Mustang talk*

I really dislike the way the wheels sit. Your car should have four wheels, and they should be somewhat even/aligned. That's just nonsense, having the rear tires hang out like 15 cm., and the front's way too small... Nowhere near enough track width for any sort of corner...

I don't think it was buillt for a track, I think it was built for drag racing. Which then everything you just said no longer applies.

I really dislike the way the wheels sit. Your car should have four wheels, and they should be somewhat even/aligned. That's just nonsense, having the rear tires hang out like 15 cm., and the front's way too small... Nowhere near enough track width for any sort of corner...

Here's a thought: It's setup for drag racing. Not everything is built to corner.

Shows what you know about the '70's, street freaks and COOL.:cool::P

Last edited:
The owner probably stores it in winter months to prevent rusting. Common practice at least here in NY. I don't know where the owner lives but I would guess that is what's done.

Last time I checked as well, front tires didn't need to be slicks to use in a drag race.

The owner probably stores it in winter months to prevent rusting. Common practice at least here in NY. I don't know where the owner lives but I would guess that is what's done.

Last time I checked as well, front tires didn't need to be slicks to use in a drag race.

Are you sure it has winter tires?

But, there's tread on front and rear tires.

Please, do believe me, I've worked on a drag car before; my old auto teacher had a '69 Camaro. He was trying to restore it. I was one of the guys charged with taking off all of the old bits of race car, and making it into a restored Camaro again. Until I graduated. I miss the Firebird Formula I sandblasted. :(

Please, do believe me, I've worked on a drag car before; my old auto teacher had a '69 Camaro. He was trying to restore it. I was one of the guys charged with taking off all of the old bits of race car, and making it into a restored Camaro again. Until I graduated. I miss the Firebird Formula I sandblasted. :(

Maybe he just has street tires on it to keep it street legal.

Maybe he just has street tires on it to keep it street legal.

That's possible. But, that suspension wouldn't be the greatest on streets, either. If it's mainly meant just to be a drag racer, and the guy drives perfectly straight, on his way to the drag strip, then maybe it's okay. But, seeing tread on that worries me.

Are you seriously suggesting because there is tread on the tires, it some how makes them winter tires?

Also lots of drag cars run tires with treads on them because, you know, slicks aren't legal on the road.

Are you seriously suggesting because there is tread on the tires, it some how makes them winter tires?

The tread looks deep, thick, and "squishy." Canada has no shortage of winter tires. It's not like they're hard to find. I can visually see the difference. I think most people can, too.

The tread looks deep, thick, and "squishy." Canada has no shortage of winter tires. It's not like they're hard to find. I can visually see the difference. I think most people can, too.

You must not look at all that many tires then. Maybe you should rethink your tuning shop.

My summer tires have quite a bit of tread on them, it doesn't make them any less grippy, it just makes them less worn.

You must not look at all that many tires then. Maybe you should rethink your tuning shop.

My summer tires have quite a bit of tread on them, it doesn't make them any less grippy, it just makes them less worn.

My summer tires are Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

That means that they have some tread, yes. But, it's not at all "squishy." The sidewall doesn't flex as much as winter tires; winter tires have next-to-no sidewall support, meaning that the winter tires lose their shape, and have lots of tread.

My summer tires are Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

That means that they have some tread, yes. But, it's not at all "squishy." The sidewall doesn't flex as much as winter tires; winter tires have next-to-no sidewall support, meaning that the winter tires lose their shape, and have lots of tread.

So are mine on the Neon, they have lots of tread on them and I have g-Force Comp II's on the Focus, and they have tread also.

Also I have no idea what point you're attempting to make about the winter tires. But those tires on the Mustang in no way look like winter tires.

So are mine on the Neon, they have lots of tread on them and I have g-Force Comp II's on the Focus, and they have tread also.

Also I have no idea what point you're attempting to make about the winter tires. But those tires on the Mustang in no way look like winter tires.

They bulge, and have "block-type" tread; a tread style designed to throw snow backwards/away from the contact patch.

Also, summer tires (even some DOT R specs) have tread just for rain driving grip. Their treads are normally designed with circumferential "grooves" in the middle, exactly like you can see on both the g-Force Comp IIs, and the Conti EC DWs.

Example:

continental_extremecontactDW-500x500.jpg

That actually produces a bit of vacuum pressure that lifts water off of the road, allowing for a better contact with the road.

And, you'll notice that most summer tires tend to have "swooping" tread, designed to lift the water and channel it to the sides. But, that doesn't work in the snow.

Example:

Toyo Proxes R1R:

images

Michelin winter tires:

tire-latitude-alpin-hp-hero.png

MrCanada, I would like you to look closely at several things in the Mustang pic.

1) The grass growing in the cracks
2) The reflection on the hood showing what appears to be trees full of leaves.
3) The Mustang next to it which would hint the pic is from a car show.
4) The lack of snow

Also think about how many car shows take place outdoors in the winter.

Also, this is a DOT drag tire.

images

My winter tires IRL:

In front;

525.jpg

In back

DiscovererATR.jpg

In the summer all the way around 12.5 inches wide

cooper-discoverer-lt-600x600.jpg

I'm still not understanding your point.

They bulge, and have "block-type" tread; a tread style designed to throw snow backwards/away from the contact patch.

The tires on my Neon bulge quite a bit, and they are the same tires you have. Just because a tire has a stiffer sidewall doesn't mean it's not going to bulge, especially when the tire is wider than the rim.

They could also easily be all-season tires.

But, if you're going to do something to a car, do it right... Get the right tires, etc.

Bopop, those are DOT drag tires, you're right. But, I'm saying that they aren't those tires. The tires on the Mustang, and, for that matter, the entire alignment just looks wrong, on a rather nice car.

But, if you're going to do something to a car, do it right... Get the right tires, etc.

We have the same tires. So if I'm doing it wrong, then you're doing it wrong :lol:

And I can promise you the last thing I care about is that my tires look chunky. They are within the limits of the rims and provide a slightly larger contact patch.

Hey may not be racing it at all.

The alignment could be from the fitting of larger tires, requiring a fender flare to make it look right. And it looks damn good right now.

Bopop, those are DOT drag tires, you're right. But, I'm saying that they aren't those tires. The tires on the Mustang, and, for that matter, the entire alignment just looks wrong, on a rather nice car.

What because someone wants more rear traction they can't have widetires and skinnies up front? The only purpose the front ones serve for dragging is keeping it straight. Less tire=less wieght=faster ET.

We have the same tires. So if I'm doing it wrong, then you're doing it wrong :lol:

And I can promise you the last thing I care about is that my tires look chunky. They are within the limits of the rims and provide a slightly larger contact patch.

When I said that, I meant "putting all-seasons or something on a drag car is wrong. Do it right. Complete the look."

I haven't even been on the Conti tires yet (go home, snow, you've extended your welcome long enough,) but, I think they'll look nice regardless.

And, a small bulge is okay. Most drag cars have a small bulge in the tires (from running like 6 psi :lol:,) but, tread + bulge + alignment + car show = "I didn't know what I wanted to do with this car. Is it a daily driver? Is it a drag car? Is it a show car? It can't do all of them right, but, it can't do any of them, right, either."

I still don't like it.

What because someone wants more rear traction they can't have widetires and skinnies up front? The only purpose the front ones serve for dragging is keeping it straight. Less tire=less wieght=faster ET.

I'm not arguing that. It just doesn't look like it knows what it's doing. That's all I'm saying.

It's like Boxy; likes to switch itself and its topics a lot, and confuse me.

Again, the bulge is most likely from larger tires.

He's done a good job at making the car "appear" to be good at all 3 things.

Again, the bulge is most likely from larger tires.

He's done a good job at making the car "appear" to be good at all 3 things.

Sort of. I would've done a less aggressive tread, if I was trying to do that.

You guys mention the weather being sunny, bright, and appearing warm, with leaves and such... Why not have tires with fewer, smaller grooves?

And the alignment would look great, if the front tires were a bit further apart (i.e., let's say, putting spacers on the axle, to increase the offset...

Back