Questionable modifications: pictures inside!

• Thread starter -Fred-
  • 38,839 comments
934986_493639634042119_1023053208_n.jpg

Funny. I don't have any major issues with how it looks except for the hood scoop. It looks tacked on.

That and those stupid rear window scoops. Otherwise, while questionable, the bodykit isn't half bad.

Funny. I don't have any major issues with how it looks except for the hood scoop. It looks tacked on.

That and those stupid rear window scoops. Otherwise, while questionable, the bodykit isn't half bad.

Both of those are things that were on the cars in the '60s. The shaker scoop is actually mounted to the air cleaner on top of the engine so when you give the engine gas it shakes through the hood, hence the name. It is fully functional.

The scoop was the Shelbys in the '60s.

mump_0708_04_z+1967_mustang_shelby_GT500+side.jpg

Old school shaker:

30739240253_large.jpg

Modern
100015d1274929086-2009-mustang-gt-factory-hood-scoop-install-advice-saleen_shaker_2.jpg

The Mustang isn't too bad compared to the black one, especially because it has 900hp :drool:

942566_588636327837422_813721789_n.jpg

Yeah, having gobs of torque in a small displacement engine sucks!

I respect that they make lots of power, but I hate how they sound, how they smell, hate working on them etc. It's just me though, a lot of my friends are diesel guys.

I'll certainly grant that they don't sound nice, nor do they rev well. They're pretty utilitarian, but not for a sports car.

Last edited:
I mean I don't think I'd buy a diesel for a weekend toy, but they can make a plain car a lot of fun to drive. My mom's Golf is a diesel and the torque is just hilarious at times. Dad's Touareg is also just so much smoother to drive compared to his old Enclave simply because you have so much low end torque.

I mean I don't think I'd buy a diesel for a weekend toy, but they can make a plain car a lot of fun to drive. My mom's Golf is a diesel and the torque is just hilarious at times. Dad's Touareg is also just so much smoother to drive compared to his old Enclave simply because you have so much low end torque.

I agree the low end torque is great but you can get the same with a gas engine, sometimes right off idle.

You can't find a 1.4L 4cyl gas engine with 200 lb-ft of torque that does 6L/100km. A turbo'd V6 can come close but I don't think you'll find a 3.0L V6 that puts out over 400 lb-ft of torque like the diesel in the VW Touareg/Audi Q7. Much less at 9L/100km or so.

You can't find a 1.4L gas engine with 200 lb-ft of torque that does 6L/100km.

True, not one that small anyways. The only way I could see that happening is if it's cammed and runs on extremely high compression.

Back