R/C car thread!

I've got 4 R/C cars, but none of them are really expensive (>100 USD). The cheaper ones cost around 22 USD, and the most expensive one is only around 60 USD. I don't play them often, and when I do, I only take them out for a quick run, and that's all.

One of them is a 1/58 Ferrari F430. It's got illuminated headlights when it's moving, but it's painstakingly slow for a R/C car, even when the 'Turbo' button on top of the remote is pressed.

Another one is a 1/32 Aston Martin V12 Vanquish made by Nikko. It doesn't have any special features, but it can do donuts (even if it's not supposed to) with fresh batteries.

These are the ones that I actually like, as 1) they are supercars, or at least their bodies are, and 2) they are the more normal ones. As I've stated, I've got 4 R/C cars, and excluding those two I've mentioned above, I've got a super-small car (around the size of two human thumbnails) that can only go forward or 'backward-right', and a RX-7 FD3S that is designed to drift. It's got all the fancy things, four-wheel-drive, double motors, neons of 3 different colours and flashing headlights, but I don't like it as 1) I can never get it to drift, 2) it needs a lot of batteries and 3) most importantly, it's pink.

I have a McLaren MP4-21 with a remote controller that looks like the steering wheel. I loved it, but later I broke the antenna, so it was unable to move anymore. If I have a chance of getting a F1 R/C of similar size or smaller (or the remote fixed), I definitely will not waste it.

I've got 4 R/C cars, but none of them are really expensive (>100 USD). The cheaper ones cost around 22 USD, and the most expensive one is only around 60 USD. I don't play them often, and when I do, I only take them out for a quick run, and that's all.

One of them is a 1/58 Ferrari F430. It's got illuminated headlights when it's moving, but it's painstakingly slow for a R/C car, even when the 'Turbo' button on top of the remote is pressed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photos_of_gt_hp_nut/8603919194/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photos_of_gt_hp_nut/8602819021/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photos_of_gt_hp_nut/8602818619/

Another one is a 1/32 Aston Martin V12 Vanquish made by Nikko. It doesn't have any special features, but it can do donuts (even if it's not supposed to) with fresh batteries.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photos_of_gt_hp_nut/8602820205/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photos_of_gt_hp_nut/8602820065/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photos_of_gt_hp_nut/8602819401/

These are the ones that I actually like, as 1) they are supercars, or at least their bodies are, and 2) they are the more normal ones. As I've stated, I've got 4 R/C cars, and excluding those two I've mentioned above, I've got a super-small car (around the size of two human thumbnails) that can only go forward or 'backward-right', and a RX-7 FD3S that is designed to drift. It's got all the fancy things, four-wheel-drive, double motors, neons of 3 different colours and flashing headlights, but I don't like it as 1) I can never get it to drift, 2) it needs a lot of batteries and 3) most importantly, it's pink.

I have a McLaren MP4-21 with a remote controller that looks like the steering wheel. I loved it, but later I broke the antenna, so it was unable to move anymore. If I have a chance of getting a F1 R/C of similar size or smaller (or the remote fixed), I definitely will not waste it.

You seem to like the smaller scale cars. Have you ever looked into getting a Kyosho mini z. They are excellent cars and they have a ton if relally highly detailed bodies to use. Depending where you live there is probably people that get together and even race them on RCP track.

I didn't know they even made remote control cars that small. 0_o
If you're talking about the super small R/C car I've mentioned, it was supposed to be one of the smallest R/C cars in the world. At least that's what the salesman told me.
I've just measured it, and its length, width and height are 3.3 cm, 2.2 cm and 2.3 cm respectively. The car can be stored in the remote controller, which is in the shape of a pen.
Search 'World's smallest R/C car' on Google, and the silver one in the first picture is probably the one I'm referring to in my first post.
You seem to like the smaller scale cars. Have you ever looked into getting a Kyosho mini z. They are excellent cars and they have a ton if relally highly detailed bodies to use. Depending where you live there is probably people that get together and even race them on RCP track.

Just searched them on Google, and some of them looks tasty, especially the ones with Le Mans racecar bodies. 👍
Maybe I'll consider getting one.

If you're talking about the super small R/C car I've mentioned, it was supposed to be one of the smallest R/C cars in the world. At least that's what the salesman told me.
I've just measured it, and its length, width and height are 3.3 cm, 2.2 cm and 2.3 cm respectively. The car can be stored in the remote controller, which is in the shape of a pen.
Search 'World's smallest R/C car' on Google, and the silver one in the first picture is probably the one I'm referring to in my first post.

Just searched them on Google, and some of them looks tasty, especially the ones with Le Mans racecar bodies. 👍
Maybe I'll consider getting one.
You don't have to buy the body with the car. The best way to do it is buy a mini z mr03 and then pick out any body you want. You have to look and see what type of motor mount the body fits though. If you ever really do get interested in one I would be happy to answer any questions you ahve on them. They really are nice and have more option parts than you would ever need. They are though aimed at racing and don't work well at all on carpet unless it's super short. There is a site called mini z racer that has a list of almost all the tracks in the world on it. Check and see if there is one in your area and go check them out. Competitive RC racing is a blast. Every time i get back into RC racing the sim rig takes a rest for awhile.

You don't have to buy the body with the car. The best way to do it is buy a mini z mr03 and then pick out any body you want. You have to look and see what type of motor mount the body fits though. If you ever really do get interested in one I would be happy to answer any questions you ahve on them. They really are nice and have more option parts than you would ever need. They are though aimed at racing and don't work well at all on carpet unless it's super short. There is a site called mini z racer that has a list of almost all the tracks in the world on it. Check and see if there is one in your area and go check them out. Competitive RC racing is a blast. Every time i get back into RC racing the sim rig takes a rest for awhile.

I don't have the intention to race R/C cars, so I prefer R/C cars that are cheaper and easier to control. When I do buy a R/C car, it isn't really put into much use. So I think the Kyoshos might be too expensive for me. Thanks for your offer of help though.

A bone stock Tamiya TT-01 runs around $200 ready to run, which isn't bad IMO for a 1/10 scale r/c. Not very fast out of the box, but very easy to control and can be modded if one so desires.

A bone stock Tamiya TT-01 runs around $200 ready to run, which isn't bad IMO for a 1/10 scale r/c. Not very fast out of the box, but very easy to control and can be modded if one so desires.

$200 is still a lot for a R/C car, and 1/10 is too large for my liking. I like R/C cars of 1:24 scale or smaller which cost less than 80 USD, with illuminated headlights.

I'm not a person who is very fond of R/C cars, and I'll go for a scale model of similar size if their costs vary little.

$200 is still a lot for a R/C car, and 1/10 is too large for my liking. I like R/C cars of 1:24 scale or smaller which cost less than 80 USD, with illuminated headlights.

I'm not a person who is very fond of R/C cars, and I'll go for a scale model of similar size if their costs vary little.

In that case, look into the line of r/c cars Radioshack made a few years back called X Mods. While they have been out of production for a couple years, they can still be found rather easily online. They are 1/28 scale and cost roughly $50 USD.

DSC06510.jpg

DSC06512.jpg

DSC06524.jpg

DSC07182.jpg

In that case, look into the line of r/c cars Radioshack made a few years back called X Mods. While they have been out of production for a couple years, they can still be found rather easily online. They are 1/28 scale and cost roughly $50 USD.

I searched for a X Mods Nissan Skyline R34 on eBay, and the assembly looks like a lot of work.
Plus, I don't like used things. :indiff:

I wish $200 was alot for an Rc car :)
A decent motor alone costs more than that. It's different though for me because its my hobby where your getting them for more of a decoration.

I wish $200 was alot for an Rc car :)
A decent motor alone costs more than that. It's different though for me because its my hobby where your getting them for more of a decoration.

Yes, I don't play R/C cars much, and I think spending $100 on something that won't be used much is already a lot, not to mention $200.

All relative with hobbies. My buddy Bob is into 5th. Scale RC's. Guy has easy 10 grand in them.

I've got a ridiculous amount into my SIM Rig not to mention my real car.

When you get "into" something that you are very passionate about money invested becomes relative.

;) to say you can't enjoy a 100 dollar RC as much as another guys 500 dollar RC is false. If it makes you happy and you enjoy it. Then so be it.

In small scale look at the Mini Z. That's where the good mini RC's are at. Micro RC's Losi has those on lock down. Micro T is mega fun for under 100 bucks.

And here is a pic of my TT-01:
100_6020s.jpg

Gonna upgrade to some cheap Tamiya oil shocks and probably upgrade the steering linkage, as it has a lot of play stock. Also has a cheap 12t Traxxas motor upgrade, though the motor is pretty bleh in performance considering the number of turns. Better than the stock silver can though lol
Might put one of those cheap 15t HPI motors in it, since it is better than the Traxxas one according to reviews I read. Other than that, I plan on getting a bunch of bodies for it lol

I see diffuser fins. I want to see more of that body...
And yeah, I tend to run all my antenna laid back, as all of my 1/10's have a Futaba 2.4Ghz 3 channel system lol. No need to have that long 27mhz antenna sticking out the body :P

After lots of abuse I killed a tyre :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Cq5-1rDz4">YouTube Link</a>

Burning Rubber!!

Rotate your phone to landscape. Please. You will keep the car in frame much easier and well it is the natural field of view. ;)

What's up guys? First post in here so here I go...

I have 2 Traxxas Rustlers currently and I love them both. They've taken many years of countless abuse on all surfaces. I'm going to a beach house my family owns and my friends and I set up a beach course annually. Now I love Traxxas and their durability but I'm far and away an expert in the R/C world. I'm looking for an upgrade. My budget is about $1k for 2 cars. These cars will be taking abuse...a lot of it. These are some requirements:
1. All important-durability
2. Reliability on different surfaces(including a little water)
3. 30+ MPH
4. Multi-channel frequency(at least two but the more the better)
5. Handling on many surfaces(sand, mud, dirt, tarmac)
6. They NEED to be easy to use. (We suck)
As for power source. I'm open to anything although I have no idea how that nitro stuff works.
That's about it. Thanks in advance.

What's up guys? First post in here so here I go...

I have 2 Traxxas Rustlers currently and I love them both. They've taken many years of countless abuse on all surfaces. I'm going to a beach house my family owns and my friends and I set up a beach course annually. Now I love Traxxas and their durability but I'm far and away an expert in the R/C world. I'm looking for an upgrade. My budget is about $1k for 2 cars. These cars will be taking abuse...a lot of it. These are some requirements:
1. All important-durability
2. Reliability on different surfaces(including a little water)
3. 30+ MPH
4. Multi-channel frequency(at least two but the more the better)
5. Handling on many surfaces(sand, mud, dirt, tarmac)
6. They NEED to be easy to use. (We suck)
As for power source. I'm open to anything although I have no idea how that nitro stuff works.
That's about it. Thanks in advance.

It sounds like you might as well stick with traxxas. A traxxas slash would probably be decent for you. Their 2.4 ghz now so no channels to worry about and you could get the brushless version and stay in your price range. You could also even race them one day if you decided you wanted to try racing.

I'm not really sure about water but I think they would be alright unless you tried to drive it through a pond.

A traxxas summit might also be good for you and they are pretty water tight.

Really in that price range for 2 cars traxxas is about your only option. If you want to get out of entry level hobby grade Rc cars its pretty expensive.

I would also stay away from nitro if you've never had one, unless you know someone who can help you. They would be a real pain trying to learn yourself.

Thanks for the reply. The Slash was at the top of my list. So I'll probably get a couple of those.

Upgrades!! Carbon radio tray and rear brace, shock tower.. Alloy bulkheads.. 2.5cc Pro 15 engine.. Been busy :D

8686261445_18c43d4503_c.jpg

8683724955_d4e5bb4674_c.jpg

👍

This is my enRoute JXR v2 drift car. The body is RX-7 FC3S by Yokomo.
f0ims537RyA.jpg

The rear wing has been mounted off for now:
sQPPiz4park.jpg

The chasis itself:
sXkUlPzo6SM.jpg

My second RC vehicle is Tamiya DF-03Ra with body of '69 Camaro Z28 by HPI.
Mhd67IagH98.jpg

Year ago, in spring 2012, I participated in an RC rallycross championship with this Tamiya and placed 2nd overall.
A4i_YCY13Vo.jpg

Formation before qualifying. Those SC's on the backround were participating in other classes (SC10-4WD and SC10-2WD, I was in Rally-10E).
ua7hztgmg1Q.jpg

Service area. This yellow RX-7 was mine too, it's a Tamiya TT-01D and I used it as a "T-car" when my DF-03Ra got broken after a collision.
hqL6jtniqKg.jpg

4VZxv0Jqqqo.jpg

V1wU0f3rVYI.jpg

I also was racing that TT-01D in drifting events.
z_e3c87c81.jpg

z_7f13b9f5.jpg

z_1f27529b.jpg

Then I sold it and bought a Team Magic E4D - a more advanced drifting chassis. And raced it on drift competitions, too.
z_4db77299.jpg

z_ffa61770.jpg

In August 2012, this E4D was badly damaged and I swapped it for the enRoute I mentioned above. This appears to be much more advanced drifting model.

Hey guys!... I have the Redcat Racing Volcano S30. Its a pretty nice rc truck to have, and i love the off-roading part of it. Its still somewhat in the breaking-in stage, but ive had to store it for the winter, as its not water proof... But, last fall, when i was using it for the last time before winter hit, i believe the rear clutch has started slipping; it runs, and the engines fine, but it doesnt move at all. Is the problem the clutch, or something else?

Hey guys!... I have the Redcat Racing Volcano S30. Its a pretty nice rc truck to have, and i love the off-roading part of it. Its still somewhat in the breaking-in stage, but ive had to store it for the winter, as its not water proof... But, last fall, when i was using it for the last time before winter hit, i believe the rear clutch has started slipping; it runs, and the engines fine, but it doesnt move at all. Is the problem the clutch, or something else?

It's probably either the clutch or diffs. Check your gear mesh and make sure it is right for your spur gear and clutch bell and if it is than check you diff mesh. If that's all ok than make sure you didn't blow a diff out. Take them apart and see if any of the spider gears or anything are stripped.

I really don't know what you mean by rear clutch. It should only have one clutch and than 2 or 3 diffs . If it's your rear diff just take the rear end apart and check it out and make sure everything looks like it should. You car should have came with a pretty detailed instruction book explaining how to build the car from the ground up.

I do know though that redcat is kind of an unreliable brand. I had a buddy that bought one and he had nothing but trouble with it. He had tons of diff and spur gear trouble. Everytime he tried to race it he broke something. We finally gave up and told him we wouldn't fix it for him anymore because it was non stop replacing parts and having to trouble shoot it. He finally got a more reliable buggy and bought an RC8 and never had a problem again.

Redcats are really affordable but they do have a lot of problems and parts are really hard to come by. No hobby shops I have ever seen carry anything redcat so you have to order online. Than you run into the problem of not having anyone with that brand to help you with repairs, parts or trouble shooting on it.

Last edited:
^sorry, not clutch, gear box (front and rear):dunce:.... It could be the diff box.... Im not near it right now, so ill have to look later

^sorry, not clutch, gear box (front and rear):dunce:.... It could be the diff box.... Im not near it right now, so ill have to look later

It's probably just the rear diff beads rebuilt or your gear mesh is bad on it.

Back