R/C car thread!

Aaaaand now I got a 5000 mAh Li-Po battery pack for the SCX-10, since the hobby shop was out of NiMH packs. It does wheelies and endos now lol
Probably will buy another pack or two later down the road, since I plan on getting 2 more electric r/c cars...

*EDIT*
Some random pics:
100_5913s.jpg

100_5914s.jpg

100_5915s.jpg

100_5916s.jpg

Last edited:
0107011248.jpg

I have these babies. They are toy grade, but are somewhat durable. with standard alkaline batteries i can run for about an hour before they start slowing down. I got them for $10 each 👍

New body for the SCX-10:
Proline Racing Jeep Wrangler Rubicon body
100_5919s.jpg

^ Had to paint it myself. Might mod it with more lights and such later...

Anyway I had to order some new spur gears for my Nitro RS4, which are starting to wear out. Also planning on getting my oooold Ofna Ultra GTP 1/8 scale running again. Just needs a new motor and fuel tank now. Eventually the Ofna, my Nitro RS4 and MT2, and possibly the SCX-10 will get new receivers. Gotta step up to 2.4 GHz :sly:

What are your opinions on Tamiya?

Dunno, as I don't have one yet. I heard they are pretty good though from various reviews and such on the internet.
Anyway I got a new transmitter and two receivers to go with it:
100_5931s.jpg

No pics of the receivers, as they are already installed into my HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo and HPI Nitro RS4 MT2.

And I need to obtain a 1/10 electric off road vehicle, preferably a buggy. And not a Traxxas Slash, since everyone has them lol...
Scale looks are a bonus, but not required. Probably will be looking into it in the next month or two...

Dunno, as I don't have one yet. I heard they are pretty good though from various reviews and such on the internet.
Anyway I got a new transmitter and two receivers to go with it:
100_5931s.jpg

No pics of the receivers, as they are already installed into my HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo and HPI Nitro RS4 MT2.

And I need to obtain a 1/10 electric off road vehicle, preferably a buggy. And not a Traxxas Slash, since everyone has them lol...
Scale looks are a bonus, but not required. Probably will be looking into it in the next month or two...

Ahh, well I have quite a few as I used to race them, if I get round to it I'll get some pics up.

Ok I know it says RC car thread.. But I gotta show you ma boat.. :D

77f88950.jpg

I have posted pics of my cars in here before.. Here's a cheeky one of the A4 Touring car.
40866997.jpg

👍

I got my new circuit board for my R/C Tiger tank in yesterday. Getting it to work and back together now. I'll make video sometime!

Ok I know it says RC car thread.. But I gotta show you ma boat.. :D

77f88950.jpg

I have posted pics of my cars in here before.. Here's a cheeky one of the A4 Touring car.
40866997.jpg

👍

That is one fast boat 👍
And what brand is the A4 Touring Car? My best guess would be Tamiya lol

Also all 3 of my 1/10 scale R/C's now have their bodies on in one pic:
100_5954s.jpg

And another pic of the new body I got for my HPI Nitro MT2:
100_5953s.jpg

Will upload some more pics of the MT2 later...

I've been running associated in the 1/8th scale buggy class for the last 3 years. I've decided to jump ship and tryout a mugen mbx7. It was a pretty tough decision because I have 2 RC8B rollers and probably a few thousand bucks in parts. Here is a pic of the buggy I ordered. Hopefully it is here thursday and I can build it friday and race it saturday.

MugenMBX7-1.jpg

Hopefully I can find someone to buy all of my old RC8B stuff. Someone will get a great deal and all the parts they would ever need. It killed me today when I started cleaning out my stuff to make room for the Mugen. I found parts I didn't even know I had.

Last edited:
Finished my build today. Took me probably 7-8 hours all together. It was a pretty fun build. Everything seems really light though, I'm not sure how durable this thing is going to be. I'm not the greatest at painting so I usually just go with a single solid color. I can't wait to hit the track with it. With any luck I will be able to get to run it thursday and the Ohio RC Factory.

buggy_zpsf4d66397.jpg

I wish Novarossi would change the color of their heads.

Finished my build today. Took me probably 7-8 hours all together. It was a pretty fun build. Everything seems really light though, I'm not sure how durable this thing is going to be. I'm not the greatest at painting so I usually just go with a single solid color. I can't wait to hit the track with it. With any luck I will be able to get to run it thursday and the Ohio RC Factory.

I wish Novarossi would change the color of their heads.

Oven Cleaner - research it for removing anodizing.

I think I am addicted...
Got a new one, while another may be added in a couple weeks...
100_5974s.jpg:original

Tamiya TT-01 Ferrari Enzo is the new one. Bought it for a really good price new from a friend. Going to mod it a bit so I can get some more speed out of it, though nothing extreme since it is meant to be cheap. Will be for when I'm not in the mood for nitro madness lol...

I don't hate the color enough to try oven cleaner on it :)

I understand completely about not messing with new stuff.

This I found to be the most logical solution if you decide to try it. However the anodizing offers a good hard protection layer. Not just a pretty face. ;)

"use a phosphoric acid bath at about 20 precent phosphoric acid to 80 precent water (1 gal. of acid to 4 gal. of water ratio) heat liquid to 190 degrees. then submerge part depending on size for 1 to 3 minutes.

I'm a anodizing line operator"

Reference link - http://www.finishing.com/2000-2199/2076.shtml

I understand completely about not messing with new stuff.

This I found to be the most logical solution if you decide to try it. However the anodizing offers a good hard protection layer. Not just a pretty face. ;)

"use a phosphoric acid bath at about 20 precent phosphoric acid to 80 precent water (1 gal. of acid to 4 gal. of water ratio) heat liquid to 190 degrees. then submerge part depending on size for 1 to 3 minutes.

I'm a anodizing line operator"

Reference link - http://www.finishing.com/2000-2199/2076.shtml

I do have an old Nova head from a 21-4. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how it turns out. It would look pretty cool if you could just take off all the paint an get it to metal and then put some clear coat on it.

You know I do have access to a small sand blaster that would probably work great. I'll give the guy a call and see if he will let me play with it some.

Hey guys, newb around here. I used to have an old Tamiya that I never figured out to assemble. (I was 5, OK? :P ). I'm thinking of getting back to R/Cing but I don't know where to start. I did some searching and kit cars usually don't have the radio controller along with the other stuff with it. I'm looking for inexpensive beginner stuff. Thanks!

I do have an old Nova head from a 21-4. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how it turns out. It would look pretty cool if you could just take off all the paint an get it to metal and then put some clear coat on it.

You know I do have access to a small sand blaster that would probably work great. I'll give the guy a call and see if he will let me play with it some.

Clear coating will hold in heat and not allow the head to dissipate heat properly.

@ Venom: that Enzo came out nice.
Indeed it did. Just installed an aluminum center driveshaft and a ball bearing kit for the TT-01. Still need the upgraded steering system, oil shocks, and a new motor. Probably will just get a cheap 15T HPI motor off the internet somewhere. They run around $20 and from what I read, have good bang for the buck. Also thinking of getting a new body for it. Dunno what though...

I really like the TT-01 Chassis. It's a great setup for casual drifting/racing. I just got the HPI E10 Monster Energy kit and didnt realize that it had a 17T motor. I was used to running the Tamiya Silver can motor in my last TT-01.

The last body I did for my car was the Tamiya Nissan GTR. I didn't do anything too crazy, just a basic black coat and stuck the light buckets in. This HPI body I'm painting will be experimental (Carbon fiber hood/roof/trunk). I'll post up some pics as I get it done.

Aaaaaand she's done.
*snip*

Came out reaaaal nice. Anyways, I've salvaged a brushless motor for my already overpowered-for-its-drivetrain HPI E10. I'm thinking of replacing just the center driveshaft with an aluminum one, but should i replace the dogbones and other driveshaft components too?

Thanks gtsmashbros! Might as well get them. I never replaced them on my TT-01. I'd say if you're drifting and have the tendency to hit the curb, dog bones will pay for themselves. As for the aluminum driveshaft. That is totally worth it, especially if you are going brushless.

Edit:
Officially done now. I was going for the Amuse S2000 look.
IMG_20130328_225111_zpsed47a611.jpg

IMG_20130328_225056_zps62fe0bbd.jpg

Last edited:
^^ Nice S2000 👍

So I got the car running yesterday.. After unblocking the fuel tank and carb it fired straight up. :)

Took it over the industrial estate yesterday and it was going really well, until this happened :lol:

photo_zpsc12a586d.jpg

So I removed the other two tyres and painted the wheels black.. I am loving getting back into RC cars again. :D

That S2000 is indeed nice 👍
And lol @ the tires flying off the Subie. I once had that happen to my Nitro RS4 back when I first got it :lol:
I'd get pics of my TT-01 with the aluminum driveshaft upgrade installed, but it is unbelievably dirty right now due to all the pollen on the ground outside. Instead here is a pic of my Axial SCX-10 with a slightly shorter wheelbase, 2.2 wheels, and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon body:
100_5975s.jpg:original

Back