R/C car thread!

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I think I may just go for the McLaren. Will definitely upgrade asap after my purchase. Build log to follow đź‘Ť

Yep, the green is a new color this year. They dropped the yellow. They added a few other things as well, it's all new to me so... :D

Oh man so glad they got rid of the yellow.

Anyhow, heres my whips from oldest to newest.
18631_1073751979628_6275752_n.jpg

My T-Maxx that I've had since like 2003 or 4. This picture was taken 3 or 4 years ago as well and that is my friends truck next to mine. I also got an E-Maxx long chassis in 2008 as well.
18631_1073752339637_4855775_n.jpg

Mini Revo I think got that in '09
228715_1342155089538_256866_n.jpg

Got the new 4x4 slash in 2010 along with a used savage 21
In the later part of 2010 I got a Rovan 5T which is like the HPI just not and much cheaper.
300043_1545289687776_201419038_n.jpg

After the rovan blew up I had enough of the cheap chinese and went HPI
296800_1578571679805_1603780013_n.jpg

302321_1578570759782_19622503_n.jpg

Got the SS and havent broken anything yet. Got it back in November 2011
Anyhow I'm sure I'm missing a few R/C's but they werent all that great so no need to include them.

How is the Mini Revo?

Considered that one myself.

I really want a RC8E Stadium but they are lil more money then I want to spend on R/C's at this point.

Awesome fleet you have there Crisp! :D

OwensRacing, you were right.... My 3 year old is already asking for his own.... *Ouch* I kind of blew all my cash on the Summit. I sold my Losi to my nephew a few years back, if he still has it, maybe I can buy it back. :)

I got my mini pre 2.4 ghz time but over the last 3 years with regularish driving I've gone through all of the a-arms, suspension, front diff, 2 sets of tires, driveshafts and spur gears. As far as the quality goes its an awesome little thing. I've been running two stick packs or 11.1 lipos through it. Still on the original motor, ESC controller and transmission. Overall if you just run stick packs and tires will wear and maybe you maybe if you hit something hard enough a few a arms will break. If your like me and ran it on two 7.2 lipos wit the series connector then driveshafts go (I put CVD's in), front diff went. Overall I have been in the (high quality) RC hobby for quite a long time for my age actually in general really just about 10 years (wow) feeling old. Anyways overall out of 10 on my made up scale of experience it gets an 8. I've built mine into a 9.5 with all the upgrades but as far as out of the box goes... 8 Hope it helps.

Edit: Thanks Pako spend a lot of my free time driving, breaking, and fixing these things over the years.

i'm thinking of getting an rc crawler like the axial scx10 or or one from tamiya or hpi.
i want to build a trail truck out of one, but i also like the baja 5t or somthing of the sort to make a rc clone of my ranger. any suggestions.

i'm thinking of getting an rc crawler like the axial scx10 or or one from tamiya or hpi.
i want to build a trail truck out of one, but i also like the baja 5t or somthing of the sort to make a rc clone of my ranger. any suggestions.

5th scales are a ton of fun. It's your wallet that usually hurts initially but over time I've found out that you actually spend more on nitro or electric than gas. You just pay it all at once for gas and thats what turns a lot of folks away.

I have an SLK 350. I used to have a ford focus rally car, a Peugeot rally car, and a few small ones, but I had to chuck them out đź‘Ž

My SLK is pretty cool though, it has opening doors and headlights that light up when you drive!

Crisp
5th scales are a ton of fun. It's your wallet that usually hurts initially but over time I've found out that you actually spend more on nitro or electric than gas. You just pay it all at once for gas and thats what turns a lot of folks away.

Till it breaks. Parts are not bad considering price of new but I've seen 200 dollar crashes. Gear sets and tires get expensive too. Steel gear out now but man before they was going through a set every other outing.

I've ran with the fifthscalerc.com guys since they got started. Don't much now as I don't have any RC's to run with them. We all raced 1/18th on carpet in the winter months several years ago but they don't have that track anymore. Business took over the warehouse space. LoL They play only with 5th scales now and well my full scale car eats to much toy money to get involved.

The New MCD 4wd Buggy is my choice 5th scale. However the Baja series would be my second more economical choice. Man, I'm gonna call my buddy Bob and see if he wants to go tear his RC's up this weekend. LoL

For sure! I mean I haven't broken the B yet. I don't think I have been driving it hard enough. I'd rather not have to spend more money on it though :lol:

Hey guys! I'm trying to decide between the 1/10 Slash, Blitz or SC10RS. I've always wanted a short course truck. Not really new to R/C though I had a normal Rustler that had a complete CNC Aluminium chassis upgrade and the VXL esc and motor. Anyways, I will be taking it to the local track and I'll be driving it around the outdoors too, which should be the most fun to drive? (Disregarding durability) Thanks :)

Cost of LiPo batteries are crazy expensive. Anyone buy their own parts and build their own?

Pako
Cost of LiPo batteries are crazy expensive. Anyone buy their own parts and build their own?

LiPo's. No way. Cross that thing and you got a fire. I'm very careful with LiPo's

Check out MaxAmps ;)

I located a few picks of that Hummer I mentioned. Didn't find my pics though. These are from my friend.

Btw that comparro is 1/10 Scale Monster then 1/5 Scale MCD Monster. Then the huge Hummer.

d46f012a.jpg

345a8e42.jpg

b173be9e.jpg

This body while fun was a load of work. Barely fit in shower for cleaning. As well they are skinned in white plastic. So you can't see your progress like reg bodies skinned in clear plastic.

Did I read that right? The smallest truck in that picture is a 1:10 scale? :scared:

Dude, that Hummer is massive!!! Great paint job, by the way. So would the Hummer be a 1/4 scale?

So I priced out some LiPo Cells, and it looks like I could build a 9000mah pack for around $72, including connectors and heat-shrink. Just not confident enough on the components to be sure on the cells. Also, there would be no balancing charge cable.

This guy offers some DIY information: http://www.dream-models.com/eco/LipoPack.html

At $300 for a twin pack at Maxamps, it might take a bit more research. :D

Last edited:
Yes 1/10th I think that is Traxxas T Max. The Hummer I think they said 1/6th but maybe it is a true 1/6th scale. I kinda wondered that myself. I'd guessed 1/4. I'll ask Bob tomorrow why it's a small scale but way larger.

9000 Whoa! That is a 9amp battery. Figure at 30c that is 270 amp burst capable. no doubts that Summit won't be pulling hard on that pack. Should be very powerful and keep cool.

Does anyone have the Traxxas SVT Raptor? If anyone does, can they tell me the quality?

As far as I know it is just a Slash with an SVT Raptor body. The body does look good though, looks more like the real thing compared to the Jconcepts one.

Anyways, got my new 1/10 SC10RS today! Gonna take it to the track tomorrow and see what all this hype is about the SC10's track performance đź‘Ť No mods as of yet, until I break something :D

Yeah the SVT is just a slash with black wheels and a different body. Good solid truck. No complaints with the quality of my slash 4x4 which is just about the same thing as far as durability goes.

Anyways, got my new 1/10 SC10RS today!

I had the same one for a few months. Great truck! I wish I would've hung onto it, I forget when I even spent the money on after I sold it. I ended up using a body reamer to free up some airflow from underneath of the body. It's a small modification but it makes a huge impact (You wont get that parachute effect).

Edit: That looks waaaay too clean. Go get some dirt on it!

I had the same one for a few months. Great truck! I wish I would've hung onto it, I forget when I even spent the money on after I sold it. I ended up using a body reamer to free up some airflow from underneath of the body. It's a small modification but it makes a huge impact (You wont get that parachute effect).

Edit: That looks waaaay too clean. Go get some dirt on it!

Will do! I'll take pics of my bash at the track tomorrow đź‘Ť

So.....my Vodafone McLaren hasn't showed up yet. The hobby shop says it'll be another week. Sucky, so I'm keeping myself busy with a side project I've been working on.

2fb3b8aa.jpg

A coworker gave this to me before he left for Alaska. It was/is in rough shape. To get the ball bearings separated required a hammer & pliers:lol:

0867ac00.jpg

Some hours of sanding, wiping, polishing & 80's jams I got everything to an acceptable condition (minus the exploded ball bearing). The remaining bearings weren't too bad but will need to be replaced.
After getting everything back together, I'll pick what electronics are going to go into this guy. PB lube works wonders, just be sure to wear gloves and work with a fan or proper ventilation. Stay tuned, the next post should be the F1.

d1148c64.jpg

Soo, I've just come up with a really cool idea while I was bored.. and I've decided I'm going to paint my SC10's incoming JConcepts SVT Raptor shell with this livery:

I just think it'll look cool (and perhaps give me the winning edge a la 787B). I will let you all know with pictures as soon as I get started! Still waiting for the body to come.

Lankay
Soo, I've just come up with a really cool idea while I was bored.. and I've decided I'm going to paint my SC10's incoming JConcepts SVT Raptor shell with this livery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjmacdougall/5867490102/

I just think it'll look cool (and perhaps give me the winning edge a la 787B). I will let you all know with pictures as soon as I get started! Still waiting for the body to come.

WIN!!!!!! This is one of my favorite liveries. This and Gulf Oil are full of win on any RC.

WIN!!!!!! This is one of my favorite liveries. This and Gulf Oil are full of win on any RC.

I was thinking of the Gulf Oil one too but I settled on the Renown livery, I like how its so colourfully flamboyant :D

Anyways, I went on the internet and I found this:

SC10_966629.jpg

It looks so AWESOME! :drool::drool:

UPDATE: I got my cover! I got the proline SVT raptor body instead cause it looks a bit more scale then the jconcepts. I cut the body already, I'll just buy some masking tape tomorrow and paint this baby đź‘Ť

Last edited:
While waiting for the guy who bought my destroyer last month to pay me back for shipping, I stumbled across this gem.
a5062445-47-2012_0805surfer0003.JPG

I told the guy if he buys this and pays shipping, we can call it even. Not bad for being "NIB" for $100. I'm not sure if I should open it and upgrade the electronics, or resell it for more. Should be here by the weekend.

Last edited:
I finished painting my shell! Just decals left to put on. It was an OK try for my first time painting, I thought the front wasn't entirely too bad but the back is a mess, the pattern went all whack cause of the crappy masking tape I used. I'm gonna try and find printer sticker paper so I can stick the white broken lines that border the colours. All in all, I'd say it was a minor success đź‘Ť Definitely will keep painting this livery and hopefully perfect it!

Back