R/C car thread!

a few years ago it was one of these magazines where u get like 1 part a week for a year untill its built...would have to look around to find that out again...was a mistake starting it...but once i started it thaught i might as well finish it...even if it was a rip off haha

a few years ago it was one of these magazines where u get like 1 part a week for a year untill its built...would have to look around to find that out again...was a mistake starting it...but once i started it thaught i might as well finish it...even if it was a rip off haha

is that an msc in that car?

i remember a few years ago there was a part work for a nitro BMW, it worked out cheaper to buy a very similar car rtr

is that an msc in that car?

i remember a few years ago there was a part work for a nitro BMW, it worked out cheaper to buy a very similar car rtr

i think its a msc...might be wrong (dont know too much about r/c cars anymore) but a quick google search and yes i think it is

100_0378.jpg

and now an Overland!!! Had to order the Autoscale seperately (and thus changed the wheelbase before I even ran it,) but it looks pretty cool.

Got it yesterday. Ordered aluminum oil shocks for it this morning, since it comes with friction shocks stock, and it tends to roll over easily. Got 'em for my Losi, too since...well, the stock shocks started leaking like seives, and I now have the LiPo battery for that truck. So much power that it'll spin the tires on the concrete sidewalk outside my house! YIKES!

100_0377.jpg

Check out that articulation! RWD, Solid axles...three....link suspension...and a lockable diff, too.

COME OUT AND RACE IN WINFIELD, IL ON SATURDAY!

R/C RACING - WINFIELD, IL 2011

Date: The first race will be Sat., May 14. The other race dates are June 18, July 16, Aug. 13, & Sept. 17.

Time: Racing begins at 11:00 AM. The track will be open at 10:00 AM.

Classes: These races are for electric cars only, The classes will be stock touring, Tamiya Mini, SC Trucks, Off Road, GT3, Traxxas Rally and others if we have at least three cars.

Cost: $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for racers 12 and under. This price is for any number classes. If you race 10 classes it only costs you $10. All the money taken in will go to the church.

Facilities: We will be using an AMBrc scoring system. Electricity and washrooms will be available. There is a MacDonald's and Burger King close by.

Details: This is a fundraiser for Winfield Community United Methodist Church. The church is trying this as part of their outreach programs. There may be no drivers' stand. You may want to bring something to stand on if you need it. There will be a door prize drawing for the drivers at no charge. Everyone had a very good time last year. The address is 0S347 Jefferson Street, Winfield, IL 60190-1406.
This great place for new drivers to get started and for racers looking to have fun!

Directions: Take Rt. 38/ Roosevelt road to County Farm Rd and turn north. There's a MacDonald's at that intersection. Go north to Manchester Rd. and turn left or west on Manchester. Take Manchester to Jefferson St. and turn right or north and go about a block and you'll see the church on the right side.

Take Rt. 64/North Ave. to County Farm Rd. and turn south. There's a Honda motorcycle dealer at the intersection. Take County Farm Rd. to Manchester Rd. Turn right or west on to Manchester Rd. Take Manchester to Jefferson and turn right on Jefferson. Go about a block and you'll see the church on the right.

WINFIELD, IL RACING 8/13
The racing today was excellent. Ken J. and Nik P. had great battles in the TC class. John R. drove extremely well in the Traxxas Rally class, but was tested throughout the day by Austin P. and Gary P. Austin schooled Gary P. and MD in the Off Road class with his Revo. John R. had the dominate car in the Tamiya Mini class. Thanks goes out to Nik P., Mark, Erwin, Clarence and Jose who came out today. Thanks to Austin's parents who helped marshal today. Thanks to Austin for helping clean up in the rain. Thanks to Gary P. for staying until the end to help clean up. Special thanks to John R. for coming early and staying late to help! We got all of our races in except the last minute of the Tamiya Mini Main. It helps sometimes to hold your races in a church parking lot. The church really appreciates the funds raised through racing. 👍

Oh wow, a RC thread on GTPlanet. Just stumbled upon this via Google. I've been into RC cars for quite a while now, just picked it up recently from the dusty basement.

As for parts? Everything is stock, so far. Although I'm in the progress of making one of my HPI Nitro RS4's a drifter/street car, and the other, a rally car. Mods? Only one. I've hooked up a mini cooling fan in the front of the car to the receiver.

I've also ordered the E30 body with golden SSR mesh wheels to go along with it. As for the rally, I'm ordering the legendary Suzuki Escudo.

I'll post back with pictures and such!

Good chance I will buy a nearly complete nitro buggy from a friend in the coming weeks. The dude is getting rid of some of his older/less used r/c stuff to help pay for his main racing r/c's lol...
I will sacrifice the servers and receiver from my old Ofna Ultra GTP "touring" car to give life to the buggy, which is a Team Losi if I am not mistaken. The buggy also will come with a complete set of spares and a motor too. If I get it I will definitely post pics of it with my current HPI Nitro RS4 touring car :D

It's been awhile since i've painted a body. Here's the Proline Chevy Silverado that I'm currently working on.
"Carbon Fiber"= smoke tint with metallic tape applied underneath.

Front view; Looks a little sloppy but once it's cut out the ugly areas will be scrap plastic:

Full body view (obviously) with some overspray :grumpy: on the "roll cage".

Ahh RC cars.

i do infact own a bunch!

7 in total.

HPI Baja 7b SS
FG Baja
FG Leopard (Two)
FG Onroad Truck
HPI Nitro Racing truck
And a Cien (113 km/h) out of the box car :)!

Current list:

Losi Micro SCT - LiPo + Aluminum shocks. To be equipped with new body and wheels, made into a ROAR-inspired truck.
Kyosho Mini-Z MR-02MR Nissan GT-R Calsonic - Have foam tires, don't have wheels for those, though. To be built as club-type racer.
Kyosho Mini-Z Overland Mitsubishi Pajero Evo - 3Racing Shocks. to be built as a swift offroader
Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03NRM Nissan Fairlady 240Z - Stock. To be built as the shiny one.
XMODS Evo Truck Ford F-150 - Painted blue. To be built to be more precise and rugged.
Redcat Sumo Truggy - 180 can motor + heatsink (too fast for indoors!). to be a basher
Hot Wheels RC Nitro Speeders Ken Block Fiesta - 1/87th scale, Slot-car speed! for fun
Air Hogs Hyperactives Buggy - stock, pretty damn quick. for fun.

Chassis hitlist:
Kyosho Mini-Z MA-010 AWD - yet to be ordered - as a Drifter
Kyosho Mini-Z Buggy Optima - yet to be ordered (yet to be released, at that) - as a short-course buggy
Serpent S240 - Yet to be ordered - CFRP pan car equipped with Losi brushless power.
Losi Micro DT - Ordered - As a 2WD Short Course Truck
Hasbro My Little Pony Pinkie Pie's Car - yet to be ordered - to be used as a body for one of my other RCs. Possibly the Redcat.

Last 2011 Winfield, IL Parking Lot race is Saturday!
:)
R/C RACING - WINFIELD, IL 2011

Date: The first race will be Sat., May 14. The other race dates are June 18, July 16, Aug. 13, & Sept. 17.

Time: Racing begins at 11:00 AM. The track will be open at 10:00 AM.

Classes: These races are for electric cars only, The classes will be stock touring, Tamiya Mini, SC Trucks, Off Road, GT3, Traxxas Rally and others if we have at least three cars.

Cost: $10.00 for adults and $5.00 for racers 12 and under. This price is for any number classes. If you race 10 classes it only costs you $10. All the money taken in will go to the church.

Facilities: We will be using an AMBrc scoring system. Electricity and washrooms will be available. There is a MacDonald's and Burger King close by.

Details: This is a fundraiser for Winfield Community United Methodist Church. The church is trying this as part of their outreach programs. There may be no drivers' stand. You may want to bring something to stand on if you need it. There will be a door prize drawing for the drivers at no charge. Everyone had a very good time last year. The address is 0S347 Jefferson Street, Winfield, IL 60190-1406.
This great place for new drivers to get started and for racers looking to have fun!

Directions: Take Rt. 38/ Roosevelt road to County Farm Rd and turn north. There's a MacDonald's at that intersection. Go north to Manchester Rd. and turn left or west on Manchester. Take Manchester to Jefferson St. and turn right or north and go about a block and you'll see the church on the right side.

Take Rt. 64/North Ave. to County Farm Rd. and turn south. There's a Honda motorcycle dealer at the intersection. Take County Farm Rd. to Manchester Rd. Turn right or west on to Manchester Rd. Take Manchester to Jefferson and turn right on Jefferson. Go about a block and you'll see the church on the right.

Curse you people! Read two pages and got the urge to get my old E-max working again.
My wife curses you all as well. ;)
She just got me to stop pouring paychecks into Xmods and Mini Zs (that I sold her on based off the idea that they would be cheaper than a 90mph+ modded E-max. (Yeah right)), and now I have to tell her of my need for a list of new parts for a truck that shatters like an F1 every time you hit a bump wrong at speed. LMBO.

A GREAT DAY OF RACING IN WINFIELD, IL.
We had our best turnout of 2011. It was a great day of racing with perfect weather. We started at 11:30AM and racing was over by 3:10 PM. We ran two heats and a main with six minute heats. Thanks to Dave, Paul, and Matt for racing with us for the first time. The church appreciates the money we raised. Dylan and Austin schooled some of us old guys and very old guys. Thanks to John for coming early and helping to setup and staying late to pick up race after race! Thanks to Gerry for coming out again and staying to help clean up. It's greatly appreciated! Daniella and Elizabeth did a great job in the Novice Class. Thanks for bringing your Dad along.

Hey sorry for "Bumping" this old thread but there isnt any reason to make a new one. I need some help with my LiPo Batteries. I have already broke 2 and dont want to break another. I have a Rustler VXL that i use and i use it with LiPo batteries. I need a low voltage alarm that actually works (link please?). And i need help with DISCHARGING! What is it!? My charger only charges! Do i need a different one!? How do i do it!? My batteries keep going under 10.5v or something like that so they wont work.

Hey sorry for "Bumping" this old thread but there isnt any reason to make a new one. I need some help with my LiPo Batteries. I have already broke 2 and dont want to break another. I have a Rustler VXL that i use and i use it with LiPo batteries. I need a low voltage alarm that actually works (link please?). And i need help with DISCHARGING! What is it!? My charger only charges! Do i need a different one!? How do i do it!? My batteries keep going under 10.5v or something like that so they wont work.

I am new to the hobby myself, but as I understand it you shouldn't be running your liPo batteries out. If you have a Rustler VXL then you should have the same speed control as my Slash. All you need to do is put it into Low voltage detection mode. To do this simply Turn it on (The light should be red indicating that Low-Voltage detection is disabled) and then Press and hold the button for ten seconds. The LED light should turn green and it should make a sound letting you know it was activated.

Thats not what im asking and plus i already knew that. The thing is when the voltage gets low i need an alarm to tell me. And i really dont get how to dicharge or if i need a charger to do it?

I am not understanding your problem. If you are using the battery and the voltage gets low, then your control unit will shut down the truck. If you need to discharge your battery then you just run the truck till it stops working.

As far as chargers go, I would guess that any LiPo ready charger should not only have a balancing option, it should also have an option to set the battery up for storage. I use the Thunder AC6 charger for my Nimh batteries, and it has all of these options at a reasonable price.

Actually once the car is stopped that means the battery has reached WAY to low! The red light (with the car still working) means it is time to stop. And i cant always see the read light.

Wow I've been looking for an R/C car thread for ages, I finally found an active thread.

Anyway, I bought this Helion Animus 18sc as my first "real" RC car.
757936d1306430354-helion-animus-18sc-cd9e1422drama.jpg

Last edited:
@ Crushed (before you read further....know that I am only trying to help, and am not trying to say you don't know what you are doing....I just want to make sure you are in the correct setting.)

When you turn on your control unit, with a full battery, your light should be green indicating that it is in low voltage detection mode. Then it should stop running before your battery is toast. If you turn on your control unit and the light is red, then you either have a dead battery already, or you are not in low voltage detection mode.

@ Schwartz38
Nice SC truck. Is that 1/16th or 1/10th scale? I am new to the hobby myself. My wife got me a 1/10th Slash VXL for my birthday a couple months ago. I am waiting for my new bearings to arrive, so it is in a bunch of pieces right now.

overheating
@ Schwartz38
Nice SC truck. Is that 1/16th or 1/10th scale? I am new to the hobby myself. My wife got me a 1/10th Slash VXL for my birthday a couple months ago. I am waiting for my new bearings to arrive, so it is in a bunch of pieces right now.

Its actually 1/18. Its a beginners model for people just starting out. It was only $100 but its very fast and durable for the price.

Its actually 1/18. Its a beginners model for people just starting out. It was only $100 but its very fast and durable for the price.

Nice.

When you get tired of it, you should look into the Traxxas Slash line. I have found mine very easy to maintain. And not all that expensive. Plus, it has a bunch of upgrades that you can do to it, so you can always make it better.

Here is a pic of me attacking my wife with it last week. (There were no spouses harmed in this photo :sly:)

Untitled.png

overheating
Nice.

When you get tired of it, you should look into the Traxxas Slash line. I have found mine very easy to maintain. And not all that expensive. Plus, it has a bunch of upgrades that you can do to it, so you can always make it better.

Here is a pic of me attacking my wife with it last week. (There were no spouses harmed in this photo :sly:)

Haha. I have a few friends that are into RC racing and they race the slash. If I don't get bored of the Driving RC in a few months(I go through alot of short phases :dopey:) I'll buy one of those and join in... :) They are about $200 right?

Last edited:
I ordered the Pro-Boat Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer about a week ago. Here it is after all the fittings were installed as well as some LEDs in the bridge. I'll post more later.

IMG_20120223_000353.jpg

Edit: Sea Trials
bff97b06.jpg

Last edited:
Crushed
Actually once the car is stopped that means the battery has reached WAY to low! The red light (with the car still working) means it is time to stop. And i cant always see the read light.

You are doing something wrong.

1s
2s
3s
4s

All have different voltage cut offs.

Also since you know nothing about LiPo batteries. Leave them alone. You will burn the house down!!!! LoL

All the info you are asking should be known before getting involved with LiPo's

Keep an eye on those cells for swelling or ballooning.

I'll give you a hint. Balancer ;) now its up to you to educate yourself.

My fatherly side says No LiPo's for you. Hahahaha seriously the info is readily available. The LiPo need to be care for and respected.

I spent 7 bucks on a low voltage alarm, now i'd never run a lipo without it. when voltage reaches a certain point it rings very loud and emits a bright red LED light letting you know PIT THIS LAP!!

Back