Rapid Tire Wear after update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys let's convince the Polyphony back with the tire wear as it was before 2:02! Come on! =/

I'm with you! What PD needed to do was make the Mediums and Hards last longer, NOT make the softs wear faster!! they were already exagerated enough!
The 5 lap race heroes are loving this but the league and endurance racers are hating the game!

The best way to fix the situation would be to incorporate a tire wear adjustment feature where the low wear setting would be 3-4 times the current wear rate and high wear would be what he have post 2.02.

I don't want it to return to the same but I admit there's still work in perfecting the rate at which tyres wear. Right now all the patch changed was the fact that you have to pit more often, in an endurance race even if you pit every other lap it's still faster to run racing softs.

Still no strategy between tyres and an another problem added on top. Not a very successfull fix if you ask me.

Jav
I'm with you! What PD needed to do was make the Mediums and Hards last longer, NOT make the softs wear faster!! they were already exagerated enough!

I agree with you. I also agree it would be fun if we could set tyre depletion the same way we can set grip and slipstream, normal or accelerated, to make it possible to have pit strategy in shorter races aswell as make the tyres last a reasonable amount of time for league races or endurance races.

This is tricky business, because many want to continue with this new tire wear, well, that the PD give a way to improve the problem some how these tires, if not get back as it was before, to modify for their own good! 51829712 Stop in the pits at Le Mans is one of the biggest lies of Gran Turismo!

Jav
The 5 lap race heroes are loving this but the league and endurance racers are hating the game!

The best way to fix the situation would be to incorporate a tire wear adjustment feature where the low wear setting would be 3-4 times the current wear rate and high wear would be what he have post 2.02.

I wouldn't say that at all. I'm mostly a 5 lap hero as you put it and I and i hate the new tyre wear. I kill the tyres on the first lap let alone 5

One of the most fun things im gt5 for me is pushing a car and abusing its limits and there is no way tyres go that fast in real life.

+1 for making the mediums and hards last longer, and putting softs back where they were.

If you have good racecraft ie.. Braking/Throttle Control, the tire wear is great. If not... yeah, You're Screwed. :)

I just tried to run the Nurburgring 4HR endurance 2 hrs ago and got pissed due to this new tire ware nonsense, I was running the Mercedes SLS Stealth on Racing/Hard, I manage 3 full laps with enough grip to run another lap then pit. Man was I worng my hrear tires last me long enough to reach Wippemann. I couldn't even drive a straight line without spinning after trying to manage whatever grip I had I quit after Schwalbenschwanz .

I've just done the 4hr Nurb in the Maclaren MP4 1C and it was so frustrating. RS weren't enough for 2 laps, RH on the Maclaren were like they were made of wood, and the RMs were just enough for 2 laps - and I mean just enough. I had to drive very conservatively. I tried varied amounts of ABS from 0 to 10 without much success. I RA'd my brake bias - this did reduce wear on the rear tires significantly! (F7-R5; the original tune had F5 - R8!) The use of throttle/brakes was really key - ease the throttle through 50% to 75% and same when braking.

One combo that was quite good was RS on front and RM on rear - just enough for 2 laps with a grippy 1st lap, slippery 2nd lap. But in the end I was on RS and pitting each lap.

I'm sure other lower powered cars will be much better on their tires - i did try 4 laps with the toyota 86 with good results.

If you have good racecraft ie.. Braking/Throttle Control, the tire wear is great. If not... yeah, You're Screwed. :)

I'm sorry but I tried running the Nurburgring in an LMP car at grandma speeds and still couldn't complete a 4th lap on RH tires much less be competitive in a race. Even regular touring cars couldn't get more than 4 laps from a set of RH tires which is simply absurd.

Jav

Am I?

Personally I think PD should make 3 or so new different compounds especially made for endurance races. Since I race in a series with races of around an hour, I don't like being able to race a 30/40 lap race on one set of tyres. I like the strategy involved in these.

Last edited:

This is very true.
Alot of people smoke their tires like they were sigarettes.

If you take care of them your fine. maybe not for 3 hours but atleast more then 2 laps.

Racing softs are for qualifiying anyway.

Am I?

Personally I think PD should make 3 or so new different compounds especially made for endurance races. Since I race in a series with races of around an hour, I don't like being able to race a 30/40 lap race on one set of tyres. I like the strategy involved in these.

You guys use Race Hards in WSGT, if they really want to somewhat replicate real world tire wear charasteristics the race hard should last longer than that. Now in league racing a race longer than 1.5 hr is a rarity and a 2hr race is an enduro anything longer is the casual or special spot race. With that being said the best compromise would be to give us the ability to adjust the tire wear to where the 2.02 wear model would be high wear and the low wear setting would be 3-4 times that. That way pit strategy would be a real factor and everyone would be pleased.

It is hard to believe people (kids?) think the tyre wear is realistic now. Yes a difference in wear rate is a good thing, RS lasting about 2 laps in usable condition is completely arcade and never happens in real life.

Do a simple test for yourself. There is a single V8 Supercar in the game (ford xr8), a car that in real life can easily get 15-20 laps out of soft racing tyres while getting a little sideways out of most turns. Show me this in GT5.

Actually I found this about the super softs used in V8 Supercar racing:

"As requested by V8 Supercars, the new 'Sprint' tyre's performance deteriorates with time, coming back to the lap times of the current 'Control' tyre after approximately 20 laps. It is approximately 1.5 to 2 seconds quicker per 60 second lap, and will last around 80 km."

http://www.jaxquickfit.com.au/dunlop-control-v8-tyre

So even these super softs that are designed to fall apart will hold their pace for 20 laps and then will still be as quick as the hards.

Last night, I have use Fairlady 370Z GT Academy version running in Suzuka 15 laps race with Sport Soft.

At the end, wears are Almost run off. That's means Sport Soft working distance approx 90km.

Lap time were 2:16 - 2:24 at the end, in avg, lap times has increase 0.5 sec every laps. (Drive error included).

2nd Race, use a stock Accord Civic 08 Run Cote D'Azur feature Compact Soft 10 Laps = Ran 45km.

At the end, wears are over 50% left. That's means Compact Soft working distance are approx 90km too... (What?)

Lap time were 2:01 - 2:24 at the end, in avg, lap times has increase 2.3 sec every laps. (Front wheel has broken).

Hmmm.... tire target work distance are 90km ?!... Realistic wears? I don't think so...
Or... We may misunderstand the tire wear display...

Working distance are same but tires grip degrading curve not equal as the Tire wear display...
I hope I'm wrong of this theory...

Otherwise, I did agree tire wear degrade rate should add in future updates.
In real, not all series regulation and Tire supplier are same.

Look at Formula 1, modern technology could build up tires set work over 300km, but FIA decide degrade tires life time for exciting race.

Why we couldn't adjust "tires compound" in "game" ?

The only issue in GT5 is all tires compound degrading not obviously and almost are same.
or current Tire wear display are hard to understand...

Last edited:

I agree! In fact, i've found that the tires last longer with the new update: Not shorter! :dunce: All i can say is: Some people must really be tearing their tires to shreds! Perhaps what the update has really done is brought 'bad driving' to the surface where such shortcomings must have previously gone unnoticed. My guess is it punishes bad driving more & rewards smooth, clean driving more. Personally, i'd say that's a good thing. 👍

I just did the 24HR Nurburgring with the Purgeot 908 & i managed 4 laps on racing softs quite comfortably. They used to be gone halfway through the 2nd lap & mediums used to last only 3 laps on the ring. Now they last 5 laps easily! :boggled: Furthermore i use no aids except the driving line & abs set on 1. Definitely no TCS! ;)

I think this update is fantastic, except for the racing hards. They last longer than the tank of fuel, but with having to fill the whole tank up, any benefit of doing less pit stops is nullified. Then the naturally slower lap times makes it impossible to keep up with the leading AI which use mediums. :banghead: It should be beneficial to use racing hards for 24 HR endurance races: Not costly! 👎

I think if you're behind and trying to catch up, you need softs. Then once you've secured the lead, you can use mediums and manage the gap nicely.

Here's another tip for endurance races...

I find that the more fuel you have on board contributing to the car's weight, the harder it is to pull up under brakes and the harder it is to drive. All this makes for slower lap times. (And the more i tend to crash!? :guilty:)

I recommend calculating how much fuel you use in a stint and then only filling the tank up to maybe 5 litres above that. I'd be very careful not to cut it too fine...! :nervous: For example, on the 24 HR ring with a 4-lap stint on Softs with my 908, i typically used 60 litres. So i made sure there was no more than 65 in the tank! It always recommends you fill it up to 100. If that's 35 more than you need, you can simply subtract 35 from whatever it suggests. Works like a treat! :) As the tank drains, the car only becomes more nimble and increasingly easy to drive. Obviously, just take it easy on the last lap before your next pit stop. The last thing you want is to crash & undo all the work you just did! :ouch:

My best lap: 7:43.801! :cool:

Last edited:
1. Wrong update, two, topic a year old, why do you bump these threads?

Last edited:
Race Softs with a GT500 after 4 laps are at 50% on trial mountain

R Med's wear faster than the R soft on spec 2.01 and Race Hard last about the same as RS of Spec 2.01.

So effictively, Race soft and Race mediums are unusable tyres now.

How difficult is it PD?

If you still have 50% RS tire remaining after 4 laps, the tire is not unusable. In my experience, most online races are 5 laps or less... sounds like race medium will be about perfect for your Trial Mountain situation, assuming 5 laps.

Since I use a controller, I usually just set TCS to 3, and not downshift too often in turns. I found that staying in a gear (like in 4th or 5th throughout Porsche Curves) helps me save a little more life of the tire.

1. Wrong update, two, topic a year old, why do you bump these threads?

Okay then, how old is too old?! Nowhere in the AUP does it say anything about this, and as for best practices, it is a guide only. Not a license for people to make something out of nothing!

I'm sorry. I didn't know there was more than 1 update relating to tire wear.

As for bumbing threads, it's not what bumping is. I was contributing something new/relevant to the topic so it's fine. Not realizing you were talking about a different update is simply an innocent mistake. Age has nothing to do with what defines bumping!

Anyway sorry for using search...I'll make a new thread next time!? :P

Okay then, how old is too old?! Nowhere in the AUP does it say anything about this, and as for best practices, it is a guide only. Not a license for people to make something out of nothing!

I'm sorry. I didn't know there was more than 1 update relating to tire wear.

As for bumbing threads, it's not what bumping is. I was contributing something new/relevant to the topic so it's fine. Not realizing you were talking about a different update is simply an innocent mistake. Age has nothing to do with what defines bumping!

Anyway sorry for using search...I'll make a new thread next time!? :P

The topic is out-of-date, as we've had updates since then that have eliminated the major tyre wear issues. So actually a new relevant tyre wear topic would be appropriate if you could make it relevant to the current version of GT5.

danardif1
The topic is out-of-date, as we've had updates since then that have eliminated the major tyre wear issues. So actually a new relevant tyre wear topic would be appropriate if you could make it relevant to the current version of GT5.

I disagree why not continue this thread in relation to the new update means the topic evolves.

People piss and moan when members don't use the search function and create duplicate threads and then when they do use the search function and continue on in the thread, they still cry. Go figure. If you think what the OP has done is wrong, then use the report function and let a mod decide what should be done.

GTP_CargoRat
People piss and moan when members don't use the search function and create duplicate threads and then when they do use the search function and continue on in the thread, they still cry. Go figure. If you think what the OP has done is wrong, then use the report function and let a mod decide what should be done.

Ageed.

But when its a thread that's a year and numerous updates old, there isn't much point in bringing it back up, is there? Its been noted that PD have altered the tyre wear so that it isn't rapidly wearing anymore, which is what this thread was about. Bringing up a year old thread should really be kept for when something actually relevant comes to surface, like PD screwing it up again.
Searching for a thread, good.

Actually reading through the thread and checking the dates to find out if the information you have is still relevant, even better.

Reviving a thread because someone wanted to throw some information out there that in itself is a little old (September 20th, so nearly 3 months, and for something that was such a welcomed change, that's not a short time) without reading through or checking that the info was still relevant to the topic, now really, was it worth it? I personally don't see why. I'm sure there's quite a few threads on the topic of the increased tyre life, so why not find one of those? Why bring up a year old topic, just to place some information that isn't all that relevant after all?

Nismo34
But when its a thread that's a year and numerous updates old, there isn't much point in bringing it back up, is there? Its been noted that PD have altered the tyre wear so that it isn't rapidly wearing anymore, which is what this thread was about. Bringing up a year old thread should really be kept for when something actually relevant comes to surface, like PD screwing it up again.

Actually reading through the thread and checking the dates to find out if the information you have is still relevant, even better.

Reviving a thread because someone wanted to throw some information out there that in itself is a little old (September 20th, so nearly 3 months, and for something that was such a welcomed change, that's not a short time) without reading through or checking that the info was still relevant to the topic, now really, was it worth it? I personally don't see why. I'm sure there's quite a few threads on the topic of the increased tyre life, so why not find one of those? Why bring up a year old topic, just to place some information that isn't all that relevant after all?

If the thread isnt relevant to the current update but the topic is still sound why not move on to the current update in the same thread?

I disagree why not continue this thread in relation to the new update means the topic evolves.

Thanks guys. I searched alphabetically and i'm still learning really.

I don't see the problem with adding new updates to it either. If it had been done to this forum i would've learned something and i wouldn't have been in disagreement. As i understand it, if my comment was pointless or irrelevant and if i had no reason to make such a comment except to bring the old thread up the list in sorted-by-most-recent searches; That would be thread bumping.

As long as i'm contributing something useful, i don't see the problem. If the OP wanted people to stop posting, he/she could always lock it. (I believe that's what they call it...)

I think you're being a little harsh.

I searching alphabetically and scrolling through threads starting with "24 ...". There were only 2 threads referring to tire wear and they both were saying the same thing. I didn't think to scroll through to "T..."

And as i said, not knowing that there was more than one update affecting tyre wear, and having only resumed playing in October after a 6-month break, it was an honest mistake for which i've already apologized.

Again, you are not a mod. If you have a problem with a particular post as it relates to the OP, use the "report post" option and let the mods decide. Its not up to you to decide whether a post is relevant or not as it pertains to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back