Real Race Seats

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 19 comments

Mr Latte

Premium
United Kingdom
N Ireland
Just a thread guys to showcase and discuss race seats.

Maybe this can be useful to inform / inspire some of you.
I remember my first cockpit was a Playseat Evolution with a X360 wheel which impressed me at the time.

Not long after though I started looking at real race seats in awe lured by their flash looks raciness and real authentic feel.

A real race seat not only helps make your cockpit look professional but chances are many will give you a figure hugging support that gets you revved up to enjoy the action. I would point out that many bucket seats are small fitting so getting their XL or sometimes called GT size might be recommended.

Feel free to post seats you like, own or would maybe one day consider buying.

Here is a new one from Momo I think is really nice:

Momo Daytona Evo £443 (list price)
3ve6ul.jpg

If pricing around some models are available from approx £212 upwards.

Links:
Momo
OMP
Cobra
Sparco
Recaro

Last edited:
Race seats, nice.....:)

I bought mine a couple of months ago :

ha750n.jpg

It gives me all the support i need in racing and give me the ability to adjust the back.

A first i wanted to go for this seat, for the obvious reason: it has the better looks

HA766N_600.jpg

After a fitting a the company who sells them, i went for the first one.

I think that the best advice i can give anybody who is thinking about buying one: You have to try it out yourself.

Great idea for a thread Mr Latte..

I use my GT Omega seat at the moment but for a number of reasons I now want to upgrade to a proper seat.
I did buy an OMP tr-s a few mnths ago without researchng and it was too small. I could fit in it but wouldn't have been comfortable for long sessions.

When choosing a seat also take into account things like whether it's base and side mounting, some have both.

I'm torn between buying an OMP tr-s XL which is around £200 incl VAT..but not in stock anywhere...or upping my budget :s

Thanks, yeah I will update the OP later and people have to take into account costs of seat mounts and/seat sliders. I would say though spending a bit more is perhaps worthwhile as a seat if you get a good comfort will not need changed and wear/tear on some will be better.

I personally chose a Cobra model knowing companies like Gamepod using them for several years they were sure to be good regards comfort and durability with a service for replacement pads.

I bought from Merlin but the price now is quite a bit higher than it was approx FM3 release time when I got it.
Really was a hard purchase to see the value/reasoning at the time but I wouldn't look back now. Then again I didnt ever envisage adding approx £1000 of tactile to it neither, starting with one then an extra here etc that's what has happened over the 3 years.
http://merlinmotorsport.co.uk/produ...utm_medium=ShoppingUK&utm_campaign=ShoppingUK

Gamepod at the moment have a very good deal on the Cobra Evo for £399
http://www.gamepod.co.uk/accessories.asp

Last edited:
Wow, *real* race seats? You guys don't think it's a waste of money? What you are paying for with a real racing seat is FIA/SFI certification, that's not needed in sim-racing so why not spend probably less than half the amount and get some kind of knock-off seat?

mikochu is on the right track with his recommendation because *normally* the group buys for seats on Zilvia are for racing "style" seats so you get the look without paying the full price because of no safety certifications on the seat itself.

Wow, *real* race seats? You guys don't think it's a waste of money? What you are paying for with a real racing seat is FIA/SFI certification, that's not needed in sim-racing so why not spend probably less than half the amount and get some kind of knock-off seat?

mikochu is on the right track with his recommendation because *normally* the group buys for seats on Zilvia are for racing "style" seats so you get the look without paying the full price because of no safety certifications on the seat itself.

Like most things..you get what you pay for IMO..

Well yeah, but that's what I'm saying, in real racing seats you are paying for FIA/SFI certification, something that is not needed at all for a seat that isn't going to be possibly be subjected to impact and forces in a crash at 100+mph.

For example, you can get a genuine Japanese made Bride FIA certified race seat much like the one in the original post and easily spend $1500 or more. Or you can get one that looks like it and is the same style off of eBay for $150.

Just my opinion here, but if it's not going to be used in a race car, than why pay for the safety certifications (they are expensive to get certified, so you are paying for that)

No, my race seat is one of my most pleasing purchases I made.
Gives a "Real" authentic feel and fit, helps create a mood, this would be improved further no doubt with motion and harness.

Looks however to me are one of the highest factors for my own build and truth be told the "Real" seats always appealed to me seeing them on others setups. They IMO help a rig to look much more awesome. I'm sure for others looks are important too so having the authentic "thing" is pleasing just as is having an authentic feeling shifter, wheel rim or brake pedal.

Last edited:
Here's mine:

sum-g1159-2_w.jpg

It's a Summit Racing SUM-G1159-2 for ~160.00 shipped USD. I like it, it's comfortable for long sessions, firm and inexpensive and well built.

So I guess I kinda upgraded.

Cobra Misano 30 Anniversary:
Looks wicked, feels awesome!

Nappa leather with Bentley, red themed stitching.

PqLP5KN.jpg

KlvFqax.jpg

AWuw2zc.jpg

Info

Last edited:
LMAO That's funny.
The side supports are great for transmitting the tactile. I've had a sports bucket recliner and now a full racing seat and I really prefer this over my old seat.
It adds so much to the experience, feels great and has such a wow factor.
I would recommend investing in a good seat the same as I would a good wheel. Get what you can afford

Just going back to Lattes reference to GamePOD, anyone wanting a GamePOD GT1 or GT2 can get upto 15% off as a member of the ORDL. PM me for details.

Evo

Back