Not open for further replies.

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
As many of you might have noticed, the "Quality Posts" badge is no longer displayed below some user's avatars. Don't worry - if you had one, you've not been making bad posts! I'm turning our reputation system on its head: you can now view the 10 most recent reputation votes that you have received in your user control panel (click on "My GTPlanet"). There are also no limits to how many people you can give reputation to, and you can give reputation to the same people over and over again. On the other side of the coin, reputation is now a completely private number. The points themselves no longer mean anything, as there is no "badge" or other external reward whatsoever. This now allows you to see for yourself exactly "how you're doing", and allows others to give their opinions on what they think of your posts.

This is a big shift in our reputation system, and I am eager to see how it works out. As always, let me know if you find anything out of place and if you have any questions about our new system.

Reactions: G.T
Hm. How about that. Lets see how it works out Jordan. :)

Hmm. Thats more positive rep than I thought I had. Its nice to know.

1. Then what's the bonus for quality posts?
2. How are we to know who makes "quality posts" on the forum?
3. Where do we find out who left us our most recent reputation?

I agree the system needed to be overhauled, but I disagree with this. I would do what you've done but keep the 'Quality Posts' badge.

Its up to the person giving the reputation points to sign their comment. Its anonymous unless you tell the person you gave them rep. :)

I like this, of course with a fews things I don't like. The majority of the rep I've received leaves my posts as 'even', I don't know if it was positive or negative. Why is this? If I get a +rep then the post should be positive. Is it because of the person who repped it may not have high enough rep themselves to make the post positive?

And I'd like to keep the badge around.

I always sign my reps, both + and -. And I think this is a great addition, Jordan! Although I could use my super psi powers to look up my own reputation comments, I think it's great for people to see exactly what they are doing right (or wrong) as soon as they log in!

Nice work. Though I do kinda miss the badge, a little.

Its up to the person giving the reputation points to sign their comment. Its anonymous unless you tell the person you gave them rep. :)

Let me rephrase. Where do we see our most recent reputation, as Jordan said we could in the original post? I don't care who left it.

The thing is, I don't think we need some kind of reward when we make good posts. If you're going to get any reward, it's the reward of knowing deep down inside, people respect and like you.

And quite honestly, we should be able to know who makes great posts without some badge under our username. I know who makes great, quality posts around here, I know who doesn't.

I am wondering this, though:
I cleared my cache, GTP related cookies, etc etc, and I get this when I go to my GTPlanet:

gasgfadf.png

Is this normal? If so, do I have to wait for other people to rep me for it to show up, or am I looking in the wrong place? I would think the rep would be under the subscribed threads thing, so when it's not there...

EDIT: And for the record, I think this is a brilliant idea.

That's not how mine does it. It's not under anything, it's on the very first page that pops up when you click the My GTPlanet tab.

That's not how mine does it. It's not under anything, it's on the very first page that pops up when you click the My GTPlanet tab.

I clicked on My GTP, and what came up is shown in the pic I posted.

I clicked on My GTP, and what came up is shown in the pic I posted.

Me too. And I'm sure someone gave me reputation sometime lately... if not recently then for the Bugatti Veyron/Ralph Lauren thing.

People will actually listen to you and respect your opinions.
M5Power
Here's a simple test: If the post is of good quality, then it is a quality post. Those who create these posts are quality posters.
M5Power
Private investigator/hitman.
M5Power
I agree the system needed to be overhauled, but I disagree with this. I would do what you've done but keep the 'Quality Posts' badge.
Meh, that green badge didn't really accessorize well with my black-and-white avatar anyway :P.

I agree with Doug, which means I agree with John, which makes me sad.

But yeah, I still agree with Doug.

No - I agree with everything he says, but agreeing with me doesn't necessarily mean you agree with everything he says. If you were to agree with him, that would mean you agree with me, but it's not reciprocal.

Kyle
Here's a simple test: If the post is of good quality, then it is a quality post. Those who create these posts are quality posters.

But I wanna see a badge!!! :'(

I think my number has gone down since the last time we were able to see them. Getting neg-repped by a supermod sucks.

I like this, of course with a fews things I don't like. The majority of the rep I've received leaves my posts as 'even', I don't know if it was positive or negative. Why is this? If I get a +rep then the post should be positive. Is it because of the person who repped it may not have high enough rep themselves to make the post positive?

And I'd like to keep the badge around.
This is correct - I had previously set very strict regulations before someone's given reputation would actually count towards the receiver's points. I just rebuilt the reputation statistics (which may account for some large changes in everyone's rep points - once again, don't worry), but it wasn't able to correct this issue. Of course, this makes sense as there is no way for the software to know if the person met the new qualifications at the original time. As we move forward with the new system, all of the votes will be either positive or negative.

Now, about those of you who can't see what reputation you have received...hmmm. It should certainly appear on the main My GTPlanet page, directly below your subscribed threads/forums. Are you guys you subscribed to any forums? If not, please just subscribe to one and let me know if it shows up.

Nice work. Though I do kinda miss the badge, a little.

What, the big fat Administrator badge not good enough for ya? :D

To be honest, I had completely forgotten about the repuation system... interesting seeing rep people have given me lately.

This is a very valid point. I think that the little green badge does point out the users who A) have been around for a while. And B) can generally be considered someone who, obviously, makes quality posts.

With a brand new Gran Turismo game just around the corner (in relative PD terms) we will no doubt soon recieve a whole new shipment of forum newcomers. The quality post badge points out to newbies the members who they should be aiming to emulate in their own posting style.

Just checked my reputation and I'm quite surprised at how many I had. I did have one negative reputation left but it was for a really strange, unjustified reason in my opinion. It seems to be the going trend that most forums are removing reputation points or the equivalent of the qulaity posts badge. Is there any particular reason for it being removed?

I always sign my reps, both + and -.

I've got a +rep from you without a signature, must have been before you started doing that. Either that or it wasn't from you, but I'm 99.9% sure it was.

edit: nevermind, I see now that you noted it in the thread. Just being nitpicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back