Reputation Points - Discussion

• Thread starter G.T
  • 690 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Negative rep is limited, I think the maximum any user can ever take from you is 30, but it works in the same way upto that figure then it stops there.

I believe the max is 20. But anyway, the system is made to deter (sp?) anyone from minus repping people into oblivion, since you can give more than you take away. Kinda like life, but vice-versa.

kylehnat
If you want a new badge, Perfect Balance, there's always a nice yellow one for sale ;)
Yea, but I would have to dish out my life's savings for that one.

I know who makes quality posts, its not hard to figure out, but it's what the badge would do for me, it would just makes me feel better about myself, that people read what I have to say. Mainly just the feeling of accomplishment, that I am doing something right. It's really just a self-confidence issue in my case.

I'm not sure I'm doing things right though, my points seem to remain at the same low-level as they were. :indiff:

PERFECT BALANCE
Yea, but I would have to dish out my life's savings for that one.

I know who makes quality posts, its not hard to figure out, but it's what the badge would do for me, it would just makes me feel better about myself, that people read what I have to say. Mainly just the feeling of accomplishment, that I am doing something right. It's really just a self-confidence issue in my case.

I'm not sure I'm doing things right though, my points have seem to remain at the same low-level as they were. :indiff:

Agreed on the first point. Agreed on the second point as well. :guilty:

Rogue Ssv
Aaaaaaand now Im back down to 13 points...
My past is haunting me!!!
God I wish I had taken this more seriously before I got banned...
PERFECT BALANCE
I'm not sure I'm doing things right though, my points seem to remain at the same low-level as they were. :indiff:
GT4_Rule
Agreed on the first point. Agreed on the second point as well. :guilty:

Just stop obsessing about it. Honestly, this isn't helping any of you.

People, the Quality Posts badge is not that important in the grand scheme of things. You don't need it to validate your existence here at GTP. If it gets to be a big issue, with people plotting endlessly on how to get the badge and acting like politicians in an election year, the whole thing is just going to be closed down.

It's a neat little feature that vBulletin offers, and Jordan decided to activate it. It's just as easy to deactivate it. So please don't push him to that by freaking out about who has it or not.

OK? Relax. Make good posts because that's what you should do, not because you're trying to win a contest.

I hope you guys listen to Duke, as I'd hate to see another great thing at GTP end up in the bin just because some people couldn't control themselves.

DQuaN
I hope you guys listen to Duke, as I'd hate to see another great thing at GTP end up in the bin just because some people couldn't control themselves.

Indeed and what does the badge give you? Nothing. It justs allows people to know that in the past quite a few members have agreed with a post you made and they think it's a good post/argument/debate whatever.

Now the Premium badge actually offers something, although you have to pay, which isn't going to break the bank, but no ads, increased PM box and other little features. Never looked back since getting premium.

What did I say in the beginning? I knew, sooner or later, this would reach the state of UCP's old rep. system.

Sorry about that duke, I kinda made it look like I was ready to do anything to get the badge. I apologize.:guilty:

Sting
Now the Premium badge actually offers something, although you have to pay, which isn't going to break the bank

It's definitely going to break MY bank...

PERFECT BALANCE
Sorry about that duke, I kinda made it look like I was ready to do anything to get the badge. I apologize.:guilty:
I'm not singling you guys out; I just used your posts as an illustration because they were recent.

Jordan never intended this to be a big deal; he never meant it to be a popularity contest, though of course that potential abuse always exists. It's just meant to be something for users to keep in the back of their mind, and for them to aspire to. It's not a Type-A personality goal that people should be pursuing competitively.

Again, I'm not singling anyone out, even though I quoted posts above.

Duke
I'm not singling you guys out; I just used your posts as an illustration because they were recent.

[cut]

Again, I'm not singling anyone out, even though I quoted posts above.
I know you wern't singling us out, but since my post was used as an example, then it kinda shows that I was contributing too.

Duke
If you get enough Reputation Points (300) from people saying your posts are good, you get a little "Quality Posts" label under your avatar. So people who make consistently good posts get a little image enhancement. It's kind of like A-spec points.

Is this also possible for non-premium mebers?

Pink_the_Floyd
Is this also possible for non-premium mebers?
Yes. The "Quality Posts" badge is entirely separate from Premium Membership and is open to all members.

ahhh dude, I think that is totally different. If it was earned for the number of reputation points, guys like Famine or YSSMAN would have one already...you have to be above the "super moderator" status I think. ( I supose you're not joking ).

Ciao...

same from me! 👍 but at the same time I feel sorry for him after reading what happened to his car today! (totaled).

Ciao...

I know no one likes slowchatting, but Duck's last post only makes me want to say this:

"..."

EDIT: Rouge, must you effing post for no effing reason???

I swear, pointless posts like yours sometimes make me wish there weren't a swear filter.

Anyway...
Lets... move on! Now then... someone post something about rep points, not about MistaX and MSN and stuff I dont get.

Diego440
I know no one likes slowchatting, but Duck's last post only makes me want to say this:

"..."
Ok, another word: logrolling.

People in the MSN conversation choose one of their friends to rep, because they like them. And then, with 10 people in the convo, one post gets a ton of rep.

People in the MSN conversation choose one of their friends to rep, because they like them. And then, with 10 people in the convo, one post gets a ton of rep.
I really hope this is not the case. I know two forums where this has happened. In one forum, they completely shut the rep system down, and in the other, they erased all reputation points from every member and prohibited to give them away for nothing.
I don't want to see anything like that again. I know that a forum has its own way of how things work, and that people show certain behaviour patterns on the internet. But why do a few need to misuse a good and working system for pushing each other up the ladder, disregarding that many will suffer? Why don't they realise that an abuse of the system will make it dispensable, cause it loses all of its significance?

Regards
the Interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back